BL4NK x RE4DER [Otome | GxB] [Meta] [SHELVED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

BL4NK x RE4DER [Otome | GxB] [Meta] [SHELVED]

#1 Post by Alcor »

News!

BL4NK x RE4DER is currently shelved, and will remain shelved until a(t)rium is further along.

As ever, thanks for your support, and I hope you're enjoying your day!

Alcor (http://cosmic-albacore.tumblr.com), February 2019
Estimated Release:

Early Demo: ?
Updated Demo: ?
Full Game: ?
Welcome to BL4NK x RE4DER, an ordinary otome game set in a café,
featuring you, three attractive coworkers and one mysterious patron!
But what will you do, Reader, when you realize that the boys know they
are merely characters in an otome game? What will YOU do, when the
fourth wall is broken and the characters you thought you knew begin to
rebel against the story they are trapped in, and when it becomes clear
that BL4NK x RE4DER isn’t quite an ordinary otome game after all?

----

----

This game allows one save file and no rollback, and many choices are saved as persistent data.
This game WILL mess with you and your save data, break the fourth wall, and do weird things.
This game has no dead-end endings, and “best” endings can be found by continuing the game.
This game may or may not have a happy ending…

----

Progress:
???????%

----
----
Questions:

Do you find the guys attractive? How do the new sprites compare to the old ones?

Which guy do you find the most attractive (judging by the sprites)?
Which guy do you find the most interesting (judging by the descriptions)?

How would you feel if you were rejected/friendzoned/etc. by otome guys?
Do you think it’s important for an otome game to define its endings (good/bad, friendship/love)?
Do you think happy/fulfilling endings are important in otome games?

Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Alcor on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 31 times in total.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: BL4NK x RE4DER [GxB][Romance?/Drama/Breaking the 4th Wal

#2 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

I do think the guys are attractive~

My favorite ones so far are Bryn, and Nial. :) They are really cute!

No, the guys do not look like girls. Don't worry, you did a good job drawing them. They all look hot! ;)

I DO like the idea of being the reader as the player. I feel it allows me to immerse myself into the game, and allows me more freedom, whereas, another otome game wouldn't, seeing as how you have to act as the player, and instead of having your own thoughts and feelings, you read about hers, with only choices to change the plot, and let you break the vicarious feel of the game.

The more choices, the better. Being able to choose every action, and the words that I say, makes me feel like I'm actually in the game, and fully interacting with the characters, instead of feeling like I'm reading a book, with a few choices to change the ending. So, the more choices you add, the happier I'll be~ ^_^

I think a narrator like that would add some mystery, but it might frustrate some players. If it is hard to get the good ending of a route, that kind of narrator might only be frustrating. I also think they could be fun, but if they aren't helpful to the player, it might be a problem.

Despite the negative things I have said about the narrator, he has a pro amidst the cons: He's really attractive. I wish he was an attainable character. Like, a character you get after playing through every other route, as in an extra.

This is certainly a game that I would want to play. Keep up the good work; I'll be looking forward to the complete game/or demo!

Lyhra
Regular
Tumblr: nami-stuff

Re: BL4NK x RE4DER [GxB][Romance?/Breaking the 4th Wall]

#3 Post by Lyhra »

OMG, this is so meta, i love it!!!
All characters sound pretty charismatic, although Nial really catches my attention (what can I do, I love dark haired/blue eyed guys xDD) and is pretty interesting that he's a helper (?). Bryn storyline seems also very intriguing, and potentially dramatical lol. I can see why you ask if they look like girls, because I can see something girly in Bryn's and Levi's waiter attires with the hair clips and the ribbon ties buuut it's pretty common in otome games (bishies usually have some "girlish" features).

As for the Reader/player, I haven't completely understood if we're going to have a name and a background or if we're going to be just "the Reader". But, beyond that, having lots of options is not something that scares me or anything like that, yeah, the more the merrier :D

I also really liked the Narrator and I also fully support the opportunity to romance him!! It would be cool if he'd be unblocked after the first play or something like that.

Cobalt_Creations
Tumblr: Goldenrose-Galaxy
Deviantart: Goldenecho

#4 Post by Cobalt_Creations »

oh my goodness,this game looks so cool and unique! i love the idea behind it i'll. be keeping an eye on this ;w;

---Do you find the guys attractive?
yes,they are all super cute ;o;

---Which guy do you find the most attractive?
Nial~ <3

---Do the guys look like girls? >_<;
not at all~

---Do you like the idea of being the heroine as the Reader/player?
yes! i think its very creative~ i'm very interested to see how it plays out and such

---Would you feel overwhelmed by having many, many choices? Many otome games give you just a few crucial choices to make.
not at all. personally,i love games with lots of choices~! makes the game all the more fun and interesting to play~ plus,in my opinion,it makes the game more re-playable~

---How do you feel about a not-so-reliable narrator character? As in, what if he isn't always as helpful as he can be and sometimes hides the truth?
sounds interesting! i'd like to see that~

OtakuCat

#5 Post by OtakuCat »

Awww you made me come out of the lurkers' room for the first time ever. Congratulations (OvO) I'll be watching you... Ufufufu
Jokes aside:

---Do you find the guys attractive?
Yes. Absolutely. No question here. Just by having such an unique game concept, you've added another dimension to their character! Good thinking.

---Which guy do you find the most attractive?
And another point goes to Nial! Ding ding ding!

---Do the guys look like girls? >_<;
I would NOT mistaken them as girls. However, if you tell me that they are in fact girls, I would believe you. Especially Nial. In other words, they are pretty gender-neutral but leaning more on the male side.

---Do you like the idea of being the heroine as the Reader/player?
It's certainly interesting. There was Ristorante Amore which was similar but took a different direction from yours. The fact that the player has to go through each route twice gives you another point! So yes, I'm really looking forward to it.

---Would you feel overwhelmed by having many, many choices? Many otome games give you just a few crucial choices to make.
I'm fine either way as long as it works out in the end. With the concept and all, I suppose more choices would be better.

---How do you feel about a not-so-reliable narrator character? As in, what if he isn't always as helpful as he can be and sometimes hides the truth?
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyes. I would love that, please.

Alcor
Veteran

#6 Post by Alcor »

UPDATE 01/13

I have added a "Features" section and also added some links at the bottom. I would greatly appreciate your support on my other sites, as updates will probably appear more frequently on Tumblr/Facebook!

---

Thank you guys so much for the comments! I value your input, especially regarding the gameplay, and feel very happy to know that you are excited about this project. (And I am honored to know that I was able to get people out of lurking!)
VocaloidsRCool wrote: I think a narrator like that would add some mystery, but it might frustrate some players. If it is hard to get the good ending of a route, that kind of narrator might only be frustrating. I also think they could be fun, but if they aren't helpful to the player, it might be a problem.

Despite the negative things I have said about the narrator, he has a pro amidst the cons: He's really attractive. I wish he was an attainable character. Like, a character you get after playing through every other route, as in an extra.
Lyhra wrote:I also really liked the Narrator and I also fully support the opportunity to romance him!! It would be cool if he'd be unblocked after the first play or something like that.
Thanks for the input on the Narrator! And don't worry, the Narrator is indeed a romance-able character--though he will take more work than all the other characters to actually get through to. He also has a name that isn't just "Narrator". :wink:

I had no idea that Nial would be the most popular! (Though admittedly, he is my favorite as well, perhaps only tied with the Narrator. I think he deserves it!) I did a speed-painting of his base sprite today (not sure if it actually counts as speed painting? ~1.5 hours though). This is not actually part of the game, just me trying to draw in a different style~

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#7 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

I am so glad that the narrator is a romance-able character~ I hope I can find out his real name in the gameplay~ Hey, when the obtainables - minus the narrator and Nial, who already know, - find out they are only characters in a game, do they start to talk directly to the player, as in mentioning how they are only someone playing the game? Is the fourth wall completely broken down in that way? Because that would be so cool!

Your drawing of Nial is really amazing! He is very hot, and the picture honestly shows it.. ^_^

Alcor
Veteran

#8 Post by Alcor »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:Hey, when the obtainables - minus the narrator and Nial, who already know, - find out they are only characters in a game, do they start to talk directly to the player, as in mentioning how they are only someone playing the game? Is the fourth wall completely broken down in that way? Because that would be so cool!
Indeed, they do! After the first time playing through a guy's "route", if you play his route again, he'll generally start complaining about being "just an otome game character" for players like you to "date"--though it varies depending on the guy. I don't think I will be able to really touch on this in the demo (whenever I finish it) but it is one of the most important--and probably unique--aspects of this VN.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#9 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

This game seems like a fresh and unique twist on the otome genre. I am very eager to play it when it is done, and the demo when it is also finished.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#10 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Can you give us an estimate on the progress you've made so far in regards to script completion? This is an interesting concept, and I'd like to know how hyped I'll allow myself to be.
Live Life Heroically

Alcor
Veteran

#11 Post by Alcor »

AllegroDiRossi wrote:Can you give us an estimate on the progress you've made so far in regards to script completion? This is an interesting concept, and I'd like to know how hyped I'll allow myself to be.
Thank you! I completely forgot to include a progress estimate. I have now added a "Progress" section to the post :)

I have yet to work extensively on the script, unfortunately. For the demo, I plan to cover the introduction/common route and perhaps the first part of the individual character routes. Once the visual assets are in order, the writing won't take too long, and I think it will be fair to expect a demo in a month or two (and the full game a few months after that).

Alcor
Veteran

#12 Post by Alcor »

I'm finally starting work on the background images. Here's one of the cafe's interior :D
Attachments
Cafe BG - day.png

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#13 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

ALCOR_etc wrote:I'm finally starting work on the background images. Here's one of the cafe's interior :D
That is SO adorable~ I'm eager to see more in the future~

Harmonywish
Regular

#14 Post by Harmonywish »

Wow! Everything looks so cute! I'm super looking forward to this game! And it's free too? Thank you so much! >w<

Alcor
Veteran

#15 Post by Alcor »

I'm at college now, so I have less time to work on BL4NK x RE4DER than I did during winter break, but I'm still working hard! Below are the first CGs of the four main romance-able guys. These CGs (and others) will appear in the demo version to be released in a month or so.

(Actually, I would love to release the demo on Valentine's Day, but I am not sure whether that is possible with my current workload. More details will come as I develop this project further.)

Thanks for your interest and patience!
Attachments
Bryn CG - meeting Bryn.png
Levi CG - meeting Levi.png
Nial CG - meeting Nial.png
Kean CG - meeting Kean.png