PAID Character Artist for Vampire VN semi-realistic or anime

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

PAID Character Artist for Vampire VN semi-realistic or anime

#1 Post by JBShields »

Hello Everyone!

I am seeking an artist that can create characters for a VN that I plan to self-publish. Art may be anime style or semi-realistic. I’m open-minded to this.

Blurb about the project:
"Entering into a vampire society dedicated to the arts, Mark discovers frightening clues that his mentor committed a taboo, that he is being watched by a murderous renegade, and that he may have risked his soul. Determined to regain his humanity, Mark searches for the truth about vampires."

What I'm seeking in an artist:

1) Someone who is skilled at creating male characters (I only have three female characters in the whole story), characters of different nationalities, characters that have different features in their looks, characters of different ages. This project is NOT eroge and is rated 15+.

2) Someone who meets deadlines, flexible, is professional, someone who communicates (I get nervous if I don’t get weekly updates). References preferred.

3) A contract must be given. If you have a standard contract, I'm open to it. Otherwise, I have a contract I use for musicians, etc. I’m seeking the rights for the art/character concept produced by you for this project.

What I'll do:

1) Your work will be credited in my VN if it is released.

2) I will answer any questions you need so we can have good communication.

2) And of course, this is a paid job.

I need your best quote! As a writer, my budget is limited. Please give me your best offer: whether it is one flat rate OR a quote with an addition that if I purchase X amount of characters, I can get X discount.

Please give quotes, links to art samples and (preferred) references to: judithbshields at hotmail dot com . Please label in subject as “Twice Reborn VN Character Art Query”. Please also indicate where you saw this call in your body of email.

Quotes I’m looking for:

“Expressions include body language as well as facial expressions”. I expect all character sprites to be from upper thigh up.

Want photoshop layers and flattened jpeg files for at least 1920x1080p work.

Character “Sprites”:

Line Art Characters (must be cleaned, not a sketch): 5 expressions (including body language), how much for extra outfits

Colored Characters: 5 expressions, how much for extra outfits. I prefer digital coloring.

CG Art Quotes for “Highlighted/Special Scenes”: 1 character or 2 characters; half body or full body.

BACKGROUNDS: I will later put in a call for Backgrounds, however, if you’re reading this and are interested, please send me a quote and I’ll put it aside for later (4-5 months from now). Please label those in the subject line as “Twice Reborn VN Background Query”.

Application submissions will be closed by early next week (week of January 25, 2016)!!!!

I'm open to the schedule. As long as the art is finished by the end of March, I'm okay. However, I expect 50% of the sprite character art finished by the end of February.

If this works out, I will hire for future projects. :D
Thank you very much for your time!

Edit ****Update: I forgot to add: I also need quotes for single character sprite with ONE emotion as well. Line art quote and colored quote. ***
Last edited by JBShields on Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nekobako
Regular
Projects: LiveLive! (NaNoRenO '15)
IRC Nick: Nekobako
Tumblr: homodachin

Re: PAID Character Artist for Vampire VN semi-realistic or a

#2 Post by Nekobako »

Hello JB! I have a few questions for you.

First, is this your first project or do you already have some experience?

Second, how far along is your project right now? With that timeframe, it sounds like your writing is pretty far along.

And lastly, do you already have concepts, or do you also need character concepts done? And if you have concepts, do you have actual physical artwork, or just a description that you need turned into a visual concept?

In any event, good luck with your project and I hope you find what you're looking for!

JBShields
Regular

#3 Post by JBShields »

Hello JB! I have a few questions for you.

First, is this your first project or do you already have some experience?

First VN project. But I have project experience for complicated media projects as both a team leader and as a writer.

Second, how far along is your project right now? With that timeframe, it sounds like your writing is pretty far along.

I've updated timeframe. I just want characters by end of March, significant progress by end of Feb. As a writer, I think I'll work better if I can incorporate art in the visual novel as I go along. Backgrounds will be added towards the end of finalizing the project when I can afford those.

As far as my writing goes, I'm adopting a manuscript into a visual novel. Writing the VN script now, but one of the reasons I'd like to hire is so I can work on the project as best I can--in a time frame I can work with. I'm hoping to get this project released by Fall--but I have no idea if that is too ambitious of a goal.

And lastly, do you already have concepts, or do you also need character concepts done? And if you have concepts, do you have actual physical artwork, or just a description that you need turned into a visual concept?

I have descriptions to turn into visual concepts. I'm pretty open minded about art. The biggest thing I look for in an artist are:

1) Are they skilled at drawing proportions?
2) Is their art expressive? Do their characters have variety in design?
3) How is their use of color, shading and highlights?

In any event, good luck with your project and I hope you find what you're looking for!

-Thanks! I appreciate it! Me too!

Nekobako
Regular
Projects: LiveLive! (NaNoRenO '15)
IRC Nick: Nekobako
Tumblr: homodachin

#4 Post by Nekobako »

Since this is your first visual novel project and from the answers you've given me, I have a couple of pointers. These are things I've gathered both from working on a project myself and from lurking on these forums. I hope you don't mind!
JBShields wrote: I've updated timeframe. I just want characters by end of March, significant progress by end of Feb. As a writer, I think I'll work better if I can incorporate art in the visual novel as I go along. Backgrounds will be added towards the end of finalizing the project when I can afford those.

As far as my writing goes, I'm adopting a manuscript into a visual novel. Writing the VN script now, but one of the reasons I'd like to hire is so I can work on the project as best I can--in a time frame I can work with. I'm hoping to get this project released by Fall--but I have no idea if that is too ambitious of a goal.
It's actually in the rules to share how far along your project is. From the Requirements for Recruitment Threads, which can be found here:
Taleweaver wrote: 3) A description of what work has been completed on the project, if any.
So I'd suggest you update with some sort of clear percentage of how much writing is done. And is no other work is done? Do you have a programmer, or will you be programming yourself? It's completely possible to get the writing and the majority of the programming done without any art.

People all over this forum will advise you to get your writing done first. It's for a few reasons--you don't know how the story will evolve, and this could change the assets you need. This means your artists may have to do more work than you originally planned and agreed on--and this won't come free. Both for the sake of your budget and your artists, it's best to know exactly what you need first--with no chance of it suddenly changing partway.

Of course, if you're only adapting a manuscript with no room for changes, then this shouldn't be as much of a problem. It's good that you're leaving backgrounds for last. Still, it's a thing to consider.
JBShields wrote: I have descriptions to turn into visual concepts.
In the top post, you've asked for sprite work, but what you actually want is both concept work and sprite work. These aren't one singular thing. Some artists won't separate them and will do the concept work along with the sprite work for no extra charge, but other artists--such as myself--price them separately because the process and time required are different. You'll want to update your post to say that you're looking for concept/design work in addition to sprites because at the moment all you have are descriptions, and you'll want to ask for quotes including that.

JBShields
Regular

#5 Post by JBShields »

I've been lurking this forum for some time as well. Been interested in VNs since 2008. I think they're a great media. I didn't want to post anything until I was serious about making a VN.

I read the thread you referred. I agree with KomiTsuku's comments. This is a request for a commission, not a team. In the future I may join a team, but because of my work commitments, it is not easy for me to do so this season. I admire the many great teams here that have produced such fabulous art!

SwedishJazz
Regular
Tumblr: zeuswares

#6 Post by SwedishJazz »

I sent you an email. :)

JBShields
Regular

#7 Post by JBShields »

Thanks everyone.

deeyosa
Projects: Wild Season
Tumblr: deeyosa
Deviantart: deeyosa

#8 Post by deeyosa »

Hi! I'm interested in the job as either sprite or CG artist :D You can check my works from here http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 62&t=36724

Thanks! :)

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#9 Post by truefaiterman »

Hi, I've sent you an extensive email, I hope to be of use!
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

JBShields
Regular

#10 Post by JBShields »

Thank you everyone. I've found a sprite artist! So many talented folks--you all amaze me.

If you emailed me, I will respond personally.

JBShields
Regular

#11 Post by JBShields »

Still deciding for backgrounds.