Midnight's Café [GxB] [Urban-fantasy, Friendship]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Midnight's Café [GxB] [Urban-fantasy, Friendship]

#1 Post by Didules »

===>Download here♥<===
French translation downloadable there as well
Synopsis:
In the 17th arrondissement of Paris, not far from the Monceau Park, a weird café lights up the street.
A few streets from there, another light is on, on the third floor of a building. Although it's becoming real late, Evelyn is too depressed to fall asleep.
To change her mood she decides to take a stroll in her neighbourhood. What will happen when she pushes the door of the small, weird café, a few streets afar?

Characters:
Evelyn is the 18-year-old main character. She lives alone in her little Parisian flat and is fed up with her eventless life.
With a bit of a cynical mind, she usually goes with the flow. The result is a never-ending unsatisfied feeling about the way her life is heading.
ImageImage
Asmodée and Mathieu
And two others ;)

Features:
- 15.000 words
- 5 endings
- 10 CGs!
- Bonuses!

Here, have a screenshot! I'll add some more soon :)

Credits:

Musics: Kevin McLeod, Audionautix

Team logo: Valentin Poinot

THANK YOU FOR READING! ♥
As this is our first game it may not be that good, however please keep in mind that one of our goals with this game was to set a "minimum standard quality" we'd like to provide with each one of our future games :)
Last edited by Didules on Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Shiva_Production
Regular

Re: Midnight's Café [GxB] [Urban-fantasy, Friendship]

#2 Post by Shiva_Production »

Looks nice, i'm trying it now ^^

Update:

Before I begin how good this game was, I have to say that the downloading took me forever, but I finally have it \(^,^)/

The Music fits, there is really beautiful BG's and the Art you receive is amazing. The artist did a really good job!!

The Story is really good and I guess I can speak for alot of people that we all want something special to happen to our lives. Even though meeting people like that would be scary.

For some reason the first ending I get in whatever game I play is the one that is considered bad. :(
But I really loved trying to figure out a good ending here and when I got one It was really good :D
Last edited by Shiva_Production on Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Didules
Veteran

#3 Post by Didules »

Shiva_Production wrote:Looks nice, i'm trying it now ^^
Thanks a thousand times for trying it out!!! Please tell us what you thought of it, we're curious to have more feedback on it :)

Also on another note, I'm preparing a walkthrough since the game may be hard to completely beat :)

Harmonywish
Regular

#4 Post by Harmonywish »

How cute! :'D I was not expecting the cuteness when I downloaded the game honestly. I'm only a few minutes into it but I just had to comment!
Murmur is adorable! I couldn't read the text because it was so small though :'D But I made out the words "want to protect her" and HE. IS. ADORABLE. *w*

Didules
Veteran

#5 Post by Didules »

Harmonywish wrote:How cute! :'D I was not expecting the cuteness when I downloaded the game honestly. I'm only a few minutes into it but I just had to comment!
Murmur is adorable! I couldn't read the text because it was so small though :'D But I made out the words "want to protect her" and HE. IS. ADORABLE. *w*
Thanks a lot! :D We really did thought that
Murmur would be the cutest character! Since the MC is quite uncute there had to be a character that made people go "aww". Also it's normal that sometimes when we mumbles you end not being able to read anything, that's somehow how he is, not wanting people to hear what he says =w=
Thanks a lot for the feedback after a few minutes of playthrough, even just your comment on Murmur made the release worth it :3

Harmonywish
Regular

#6 Post by Harmonywish »

I finished it, and I really liked it! :> It's something really nice to read. I'll definitely be waiting for the walk through to come to see all the endings!

Didules
Veteran

#7 Post by Didules »

Harmonywish wrote:I finished it, and I really liked it! :> It's something really nice to read. I'll definitely be waiting for the walk through to come to see all the endings!
Thanks a lot for finishing our very first game and still liking it ='D
May I ask which ending you got? I'm a bit curious ^^
Also the wlakthrough is already available (we're fast ones) here

Harmonywish
Regular

#8 Post by Harmonywish »

I got the ending in which Asmodee and Evelyn make a deal and she forgets something she desperately is trying to remember, I'm looking forward to the walkthrough to see the other endings! And I'll be trying to find the one that lets you see the bonus content >w<
So, I looked at your walkthrough and got all of the routes.
The ending for Asmodee, the one I didn't get, was so cute! >w<~ It was a super pretty CG too! Too bad they were just friends in the end though... As for Murmur, his better ending was a bit sad, I wish he could've seen Evelyn once again. I wonder what he thought though, was it worth the one day, in both endings I really wished I knew what he thought. I really like the special ending's CG! :3 I was not expecting her to become a zombie, but at least her life is a lot more entertaining now. As for the bartender and the owner, the owner's story was quite sad. It's a pity what people thought of witches back then. The bartender was a very kind guy, he was very mysterious and I wanted to know his story, I'm happy I finally got to see! :>
It was a short, but lovely game! >w<~ I love the art and the story for sure, though some parts are a bit dark.

Didules
Veteran

#9 Post by Didules »

Harmonywish wrote:
The ending for Asmodee, the one I didn't get, was so cute! >w<~ It was a super pretty CG too! Too bad they were just friends in the end though...
Haha, sorry for this! At first
Asmodée and Evelyn were supposed to have a very ambiguous ending, but then we thought maybe the player would think it'd be a bit rushed (guess we were wrong!) ><
Thanks a lot for the feedback, next time we won't hesitate to be more honest on such points :D
Harmonywish wrote:
As for Murmur, his better ending was a bit sad, I wish he could've seen Evelyn once again. I wonder what he thought though, was it worth the one day, in both endings I really wished I knew what he thought.
Ah, that's a really interesting feedback, we probably should have written something about this :? It's true that the end is much sadder if we don't know how he felt about it...
Harmonywish wrote:
I really like the special ending's CG! :3 I was not expecting her to become a zombie, but at least her life is a lot more entertaining now. As for the bartender and the owner, the owner's story was quite sad. It's a pity what people thought of witches back then. The bartender was a very kind guy, he was very mysterious and I wanted to know his story, I'm happy I finally got to see! :>
Haha, it seems that it was worth making very numerous bonus :lol: Actually the owner and the Bartender were to have their own route at first, but then again, we thought it would have felt rushed. Again, maybe we should have gone all out and make their route :lol:
Harmonywish wrote:It was a short, but lovely game! >w<~ I love the art and the story for sure, though some parts are a bit dark.
Thansk a lot for the very complete feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed the game! It was indeed quite dark, Evelyn didn't help, she was a bit gloomy for a main character
(and mostly bittersweet endings, that was a bit cruel I guess...)
, Next time we'll try to put way more hope and happiness in our games :lol:
Thanks again for playing and giving us such torough feedback, thanks to you we'll definitely be able to improve our next games!! :) :)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#10 Post by Googaboga »

Woo! Congratulations on the release :mrgreen:! I look forward to having a chance to give it a try :>.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Didules
Veteran

#11 Post by Didules »

Googaboga wrote:Woo! Congratulations on the release :mrgreen:! I look forward to having a chance to give it a try :>.
Thanks a lot!! :D Then we look forward to reading your feedback someday :lol: (Don't feel forced to play it though X'D)

Didules
Veteran

#12 Post by Didules »

Shiva_Production wrote:Update:

Before I begin how good this game was, I have to say that the downloading took me forever, but I finally have it \(^,^)/

The Music fits, there is really beautiful BG's and the Art you receive is amazing. The artist did a really good job!!

The Story is really good and I guess I can speak for alot of people that we all want something special to happen to our lives. Even though meeting people like that would be scary.

For some reason the first ending I get in whatever game I play is the one that is considered bad. :(
But I really loved trying to figure out a good ending here and when I got one It was really good :D
Oops I almost didn't see this!
First of all thanks a thousand times for playing!!! :D
Thanks a lot for all the compliments, they go straight to my heart (though I still see the art of this game as quite old and not that good, artists are never satisfied :lol: )

Haha, with the small amount of good endings in Midnight's Café, you were likely to have a bad ending first though, it's normal :lol:

I'm glad you seemed to have enjoyed the game, thanks a lot for the feedbacks and the lovely compliments ♥

myuunie
Tumblr: myuun

#13 Post by myuunie »

Aaah I'm so glad that I finally finished the game! I had downloaded it when it first came out and now I finally finished and got every ending thanks to your walkthrough! Now to the actual review! ;u; Well I don't think this will be very long, but I hope you know how much I enjoyed it!
I thought that it was a really good story that held a deeper meaning, although I kind of do wish that it would've been longer and would've been a bit more fleshed out.

I really liked that the character wasn't super cutesy and that she was dealing with depression, but even still she didn't hold a grudge towards her parents. Though I do wish we could've seen a bit more character progress within her. For example, instead of her immediately changing through one night, maybe it would've taken a couple more visits to the cafe for her to really see that she could build her own life and her own dreams without her parents' influence. I think that one night of something extraordinary occurring to you would definitely change a person, but I think that it makes more sense that she would change over a while.

I think that if the story was a bit longer that maybe it would've been even greater than it already is. Like instead of just being a one night thing, maybe it could've taken place over a week and at the very end they could've said goodbye (something which made me totally sad!). I think that after this one week in her life that this would've really changed her mind about incredible things happening and that life is worth living.

As someone with depression and anxiety who has seen life as very bleak and bland, it takes a while to shake that off even when something incredible occurs. I think this is definitely the giant step, but I think it takes a bit more time.

I appreciate that it doesn't immediately jump into romance in one single night either because you guys could've very well have jumped into it. ;u; I do kind of wish there would've been a bit of a romantic outcome (but that is my romance addict speaking!) but I think them growing to be friends through the night was the right path because it makes far more sense than jumping straight into love over the course of a couple of hours, especially with demons. You guys would've have to take a whole different path if it had gone into romance. And even though it hurts, I understood why the endings were all pretty dark. People tend to soften demons to a world that is just as understanding as the human world, but they do have some pretty harsh rules so the things that you wrote absolutely made sense with the dark background. ;___; Broke my heart that she either forgets one of them or they get hurt and il;sdjaf SO SO SAD.

I do hope, and cross my fingers, that you will consider a sequel! Like a part two that does involve her falling in love with the guys and them falling in love with her. Or maybe even for Murmur's route, that they find him at the end or that she ends up remembering Asmodée. That would totally be amazing and I would love to read a part two for all of it!

I also believe that maybe the characters could've been a bit more fleshed out. I LOVE that you guys included background stories for the owner and for the bartender because not a lot of people pay attention to the side characters. And while they didn't take a big part in the story (which I kind of wish they did), I do appreciate that you guys go ahead and give us their story in the bonus!

I loved Asmodée and Murmur though, I thought that they were great characters and I like how the game they played with Evelyn showed a bit more about them and we got to know them through that. I do wish that we could've been given a chance to know them a bit more through a longer story.

As for the background, the art, and just about every other detail I think you guys did a great job! I think that if this is your minimum standard quality, that it is absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait for more! I'm sure that the more games you produce the more incredible the outcome and if this is the beginning, then you guys did an amazing job.

I do hope you guys will consider a part two because I would love to learn more about the characters and their story and maybe some ~romance~ here and there hehe!

Thank you very much for your wonderful game and congratulations on releasing it! You guys did an incredible job!

Didules
Veteran

#14 Post by Didules »

myuunie wrote:Aaah I'm so glad that I finally finished the game! I had downloaded it when it first came out and now I finally finished and got every ending thanks to your walkthrough! Now to the actual review! ;u; Well I don't think this will be very long, but I hope you know how much I enjoyed it!
Waaaaah, thaks a lot for the torough feedback, it was very interesting to read and I took notes all over so that we can improve, so thanks a lot! To quote Minlys, another member of the team, you made a "beautiful review ♥", and this is true, so thanks a lot! Making gmes is worthy of it if it is to get such reviews :D (Yuo should see me, I'm so happy and excited to read you review that I'm almost shaking! :lol: )
I'll try to answer all the points you made, because there were very relevant!

myuunie wrote:
I thought that it was a really good story that held a deeper meaning, although I kind of do wish that it would've been longer and would've been a bit more fleshed out.
[...]
As someone with depression and anxiety who has seen life as very bleak and bland, it takes a while to shake that off even when something incredible occurs. I think this is definitely the giant step, but I think it takes a bit more time.
It's true, we realized afterwards that we should have expanded the idea of the Café to more than a one-night-thing. It would have enabled us to make so much more
(For instance more to start a real romance with the characters, and to develop Evelyn's changes a bit better, how she ends up befriending the demons here it feels rushed).

That's something we agree on in the team, the game is "too short" (I'd add it isn't thorough)...
I guess it's a recurrent flaw in first-games: not fully developed.
Thanks for liking the main character though, because I really thought she wouldn't be liked at all (describing feelings of depression and loneliness right at the beginning can drive people away). However you're right, to mean something, to have a real sense, the game should ahev been longer, to explain how she got out of that phase.
(Oh right, maybe we should have done happier endings too, showing that everyone can attain happiness ><" )

myuunie wrote:
I appreciate that it doesn't immediately jump into romance in one single night either because you guys could've very well have jumped into it. ;u; I do kind of wish there would've been a bit of a romantic outcome (but that is my romance addict speaking!) but I think them growing to be friends through the night was the right path because it makes far more sense than jumping straight into love over the course of a couple of hours, especially with demons. You guys would've have to take a whole different path if it had gone into romance. And even though it hurts, I understood why the endings were all pretty dark. People tend to soften demons to a world that is just as understanding as the human world, but they do have some pretty harsh rules so the things that you wrote absolutely made sense with the dark background. ;___; Broke my heart that she either forgets one of them or they get hurt and il;sdjaf SO SO SAD.
Here again, we were overly carefoul due to the fact that everything only lasts one night, it would have been very different if it was longer... We tried to be subtle with some ambiguous bit here and there, but it was as far as we dared ><
I have to say I'm not the one who completely wrote the ending, and when I first read them I was just like you, very sad for the trio :lol: :( (Which is why I ended up making the zombie ending, so that everyone can be "happy")

All in all, the game is very dark and the endings reflect that.
(However I do think Evelyn isn't unhappy in most endings, because the endings were quite open. I like to think she ends up remembering Asmodée/remembering Murmur/finding Murmur)

myuunie wrote:
I do hope, and cross my fingers, that you will consider a sequel! Like a part two that does involve her falling in love with the guys and them falling in love with her. Or maybe even for Murmur's route, that they find him at the end or that she ends up remembering Asmodée. That would totally be amazing and I would love to read a part two for all of it!
I won't say making a sequel doesn't cross our minds, or at least making a game were the characters appears (as side characters with playable bonus stories? That would be cool!), but it's not a top priority for now (mainly because the NaNoReno will be coming in 2 months ;) ). However, yeah, maybe there'll be more of them, since the game kinda left an "unfinished feeling" to us (this sour taste in my mouth each time I think of it) :lol:
myuunie wrote:
I also believe that maybe the characters could've been a bit more fleshed out. I LOVE that you guys included background stories for the owner and for the bartender because not a lot of people pay attention to the side characters. And while they didn't take a big part in the story (which I kind of wish they did), I do appreciate that you guys go ahead and give us their story in the bonus!
Haha, we are side-characters lovers in our team, and we do love bonus content, so it was very normal to add their bonus (all the more since their stories were amking sense and answered a few things like
"why is there a zombie in the Café when the owner says they are forbidden?" "Why is the Café named over a huge grammatical mistake?" :lol:

It also seems we underestimated how popular the Bartender would be, because most of my friends asked why he wasn't obtainable :lol: Next time we will spend more time on the characters and decide more carefully their role in the story :)

myuunie wrote:As for the background, the art, and just about every other detail I think you guys did a great job! I think that if this is your minimum standard quality, that it is absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait for more! I'm sure that the more games you produce the more incredible the outcome and if this is the beginning, then you guys did an amazing job.
Thank you very much for your wonderful game and congratulations on releasing it! You guys did an incredible job!
Thanks a lot for all the compliments, they go straight to our hearts ♥ (you almost made me cry, I didn't think people would actually enjoy the game)
I promise we will get even better, and we will rebound on your very relevant critiques to improve our flaws and make better games, I swear! :D :D
Thanks to you for playing and giving us such a complete review, thanks a lot!!! It really makes game-development worth it if in the end there are player such as you :D

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#15 Post by ludeshka »

This game is really good.
I like the art, I like the music, I like the characters.
But there's one thing that I liked VERY much, and that will keep me looking forward to your work.

Your bad endings HURT ME! I loved them!
Actually, I don't even know if they're the bad endings, or if that's what passes for a happy ending in your dark world.
(Asmodeé spends a night with the main character, she later forgets it. Murmur and the main have an ADORABLE day together, he is horribly punished, then she later forgets it. Nobody is happy and together at the end.)
I wanted to find you and punch in the face you when I got Murmur's ending. (No I didn't! I mean it as a compliment!)
Good bad endings are so hard to find. I really enjoyed your bittersweet writing.

Seriously looking forward to your next work. :)
(I sketched you a little murmur as a thank-you gift. Hope you like it!)
Attachments
Murmur
Murmur