BL4NK x RE4DER [Otome | GxB] [Meta] [SHELVED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: BL4NK x RE4DER [GxB][Romance?/Breaking the 4th Wall]

#16 Post by Windchimes »

Ahh omg this looks so interesting!

Do you find the guys attractive?
Yess! <3 They look very cute to me.

Which guy do you find the most attractive?
Hmmm probably Nial or Narrator.

Do the guys look like girls? >_<;
Nope I think they look fine! Well, okay, actually Bryn's hairstyle made me think he looked a little girly at first but the rest of the guys look fine to me xD

Do you like the idea of being the heroine as the Reader/player?
Holy crap yes. To be fair I always pretend I'm the heroine when I'm immersed in a VN anyway, so a VN that allows me to do that to a larger extent is perfect. I love the idea.

Would you feel overwhelmed by having many, many choices? Many otome games give you just a few crucial choices to make.
Nope, not at all. The more the merrier! (Er, I guess it's not supposed to be used in this context. xD) But the more choices there are, the more realistic it feels and come on, who doesn't want to romance a bunch of hot guys who will have to like you? Haha xD

How do you feel about a not-so-reliable narrator character? As in, what if he isn't always as helpful as he can be and sometimes hides the truth?
That sounds really interesting to me. It would be cool trying to detect if he's lying or if he's actually telling the truth. I like this layer of "mystery" to it.

I'm really looking forward to this and gah your CGs are gorgeous! Good luck for your VN :D

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#17 Post by Harliqueen »

---Do you find the guys attractive?
Yes, I think they are :)

---Which guy do you find the most attractive?
Bryn.

---Do the guys look like girls? >_<;
No, they don't :D

---Do you like the idea of being the heroine as the Reader/player?
I really like it, I think the whole concept of this game sound seriously awesome!

---Would you feel overwhelmed by having many, many choices? Many otome games give you just a few crucial choices to make.
I always like choices, so I'd really enjoy it.

---How do you feel about a not-so-reliable narrator character? As in, what if he isn't always as helpful as he can be and sometimes hides the truth?

It's definitely different for a VN, and I;m excited to see how you're going to work it into the game and writing! :)

I'm really excited for this, it looks and sounds like it's going to be really different! :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#18 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

The cg's look really nice~ Take your time with the demo. I understand how life can be; if you can't get it out by next month, I'm sure everyone will understand.

CSV
Regular
Tumblr: csvidaldraws
Deviantart: csvidal
itch: csvidal

#19 Post by CSV »

Oh, well, now this game looks interesting.

About the characters...

Regarding their personalities, they all seem pretty interesting. Regarding looks, I would say they are more on the cutesy side due to the art style, but that's just my - maybe too honest - opinion.
Nial (and there's so much improvement in the coloring of his new sprite, too!) or the Narrator.
Not to me.

About the gameplay...

Yes! I think the entire idea for this game is incredibly fun!
---Would you feel overwhelmed by having many, many choices? Many otome games give you just a few crucial choices to make.
Give me all the choices. >=D
---How do you feel about a not-so-reliable narrator character? As in, what if he isn't always as helpful as he can be and sometimes hides the truth?
As long as it makes sense in the end, I think it can be done right.

Best of luck with your project!
☆☆☆
(portfolio)
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular
Projects: mirroreD≒dREAMS ~Alternate~, NOTES
Tumblr: magicalstarrycarnival
Deviantart: silky-starry-heart
itch: MonochromeCherry

#20 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Oh my, this game really caught my attention as its premise is super interesting and I absolutely love the idea of the heroine being the reader themselves!

As for the questions:
I do, very much actually! Their designs are wonderfully made!
Well, I really like Nial, but at the same time I like Levi and the Narrator very much as well! Honestly they are all good but those stand out to me the most.~
No, I don't particularly think they look like girls at all.

As I stated above, I'm in love with the idea, it gives you a sense of immersion that makes you feel like you're truly in the game!
Not at all. For me, the more choices the better, as I said in the last question it just adds to the immersion.
That just adds to the charm of the character in my opinion, it makes it more interesting to find out his motives later on~!

Good luck with your game, and I'm really excited to hear more about this!

Harmonywish
Regular

#21 Post by Harmonywish »

A very interesting plot line. I like how it's set up, and when you mentioned that things will change if you play the route again, I totally got hooked! owo

About the characters...

YESSSSS! They are so cute and hot.

Levi is the most attractive in my opinion! >w<~

Not all at! Well, actually, at a quick glance, I might mistaken Bryn to be a girl, but if I look closely, I do not think any of them look like girls at all. You did lovely at the sprites, no need worry about them! >w< I love the character designs!

About the gameplay...

YES! That idea got me super interested! And I'm also liking the idea for the heronine to have no sprite, because I can imagine her to look like me and be me! :> I've always wanted to be in an otome game :'D This is like a dream come true!

Not at all! More choices = more plot and more good things! ^w^ Plus, I do want to see how the characters react to each choice :>

Very mysterious! owo I would like him even more because I would really want to see and find out the truth of what he is hiding.

The CGs are so very pretty! Levi is officially my favorite guy xD! <3 He looks so attractive, plus I love characters who usually have an act for others to see and then you go and get to know the real them! :> Yay for his long pretty red hair too! >w<~

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#22 Post by Alcor »

Thank you all for the input! I'm glad to see that the guys other than Nial are getting some love--though I don't think anyone has mentioned Kean at all. I guess he's forever alone, after all...

----

UPDATE 01/25

Expressions for all the sprites are now 100% finished! (Including sprites that will not appear in the demo, but will probably appear in the full game.) I've updated the "Progress" section in the original post to reflect current progress.

So what should be expected from the demo (to be released mid February - early March)?

STORY-WISE:
* The complete Introduction
* Bryn, Levi, and Kean's complete "first playthrough" routes
* Bryn, Levi, and Kean's partial "second playthrough" routes

ASSET-WISE:
* complete GUI, with the exception of the "Extras" section
* at least 8 - 13 finished CGs
* finished backgrounds for the Introduction

Nial and Narrator's routes will not be included in the demo (sorry, Nial fans!). Extensive conversation options will still be available for all characters, however.

Backgrounds for the routes and music for the project overall are uncertain, but I will try my best to get as much as possible done within the time frame I have set. It will be a demo, after all, so it's supposed to give a sort of sneak peak for what the finished project will be like! I think I'll have a lot of fun writing branching conversation.

As always, thank you so much for your patience and support!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#23 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Thanks for the update! I will continue the stalking - er - following this thread. I can't wait for the demo!

Alcor
Veteran

#24 Post by Alcor »

Made some time-of-day variations on the backgrounds. Lined backgrounds are taking me a long time to draw, so in future games, I'll probably resort to some sort of speed-painting (see bushes and trees in the backgrounds below) instead. These backgrounds aren't glamorous, sorry, but I think they'll do for now!

(Though I can't think of any cafe or store that looks that blocky from the outside >_<;)
Attachments
Outside BG - day.png
Outside BG - night.png
Outside BG - afternoon.png
Cafe BG - afternoon.png

cookie

#25 Post by cookie »

1. Do you find the guys attractive?
Yes! They're cute.
2. Which guy do you find the most attractive?
umm, I like Bryn. He is my type.
3. Do the guys look like girls? >_<;
Haha, I don't think that! But I like girly-boys anyway!
1. Do you like the idea of being the heroine as the Reader/player?
Yeah, I think it's original.
2. Would you feel overwhelmed by having many, many choices? Many otome games give you just a few crucial choices to make.
That's true, and I will like to play a otome game with many choices and make my own story. Like that type of game that if you choose something, you changes all the story. That will be awesome.
3. How do you feel about a not-so-reliable narrator character? As in, what if he isn't always as helpful as he can be and sometimes hides the truth?
Well, It's makes the story more unexpected and I love that ^-^

The art is beautiful and I really like the story! I'm waiting for the demo! Good luck!
x

Alcor
Veteran

#26 Post by Alcor »

Update 01/30

I have updated the questions with more gameplay-specific ones, as I am now working on the script/coding. If you have a moment, I would appreciate your input! The questions are quoted below.

I am aware that implementing some of these features will feel outright frustrating to players accustomed to more forgiving otome games, but they may have some significant impact for the story I want to tell. These features, if implemented, will have far greater impact in the full game than in the demo.

I have edited an estimated time of release for the demo into the original post on page 1, and I'm sorry to say that I do not think that I will be able to release in on Valentine's Day as I had hoped to.
This game wouldn't be all that Valentinesy in mood, anyway, being as frustrating as it will probably end up... However, I will prepare some promotional art (and some teasers about the Narrator, the fifth love interest).

As always, thank you for all your support! Here's some line art I was working on today--unfortunately, backgrounds take me quite a while to draw. >_<;

---
Alcor wrote:Gameplay-Related Questions

* Rollback: essentially a "back button" allowing the player to change choices they have made; disabling rollback in a visual novel is often considered user-unfriendly.

---What are your opinions about rollback being disabled in an otome game?
---Would you play differently if you knew that you cannot rollback to change your choices? (Would you still play at all?)

* Save/Load: the player's ability to save/load their game files; most visual novels allow for the creation of numerous save files.
---How many save/load file slots do you typically use in an otome game?
---Would you play differently if you knew that the game only allows for one save file to be created?

* Persistent Data: game data that is saved permanently* and may affect later playthroughs of the game; some visual novels use this for galleries and other extras.
---Would you play differently if you knew that each playthrough of the game permanently* changes the game?
* I'm sure there are ways to remove persistent data from the computer if you really wanted to do that.
Attachments
Kitchen BG.png

Mirana
Organization: UNDERland Studios

#27 Post by Mirana »

That art style has me sold~

Indeed. I love the art style.

Levi. I have a thing for long haired guys.

No at all.

Yes. I think it's quite impressive because most of the time you just... help, the main character to pursue a character. Those aren't your choices, but the heroine's. Now if you tell me that I AM the heroine, that's a whole different thing and it makes me excited to think about it~

That would be actually really exciting. Many responses to choose~
That will make the pressure decrease. Therefore, players will make less hasty decisions.

I wouldn't know how I feel about him now even if you tell me that, but I'd like to know more about him, definitely. ♥

I don't mind because I never rollback to change my choices. Even if I made a bad decision, I can play again once I finish.

---Would you play differently if you knew that you cannot rollback to change your choices? (Would you still play at all?)

Same as always. But I tend to forget conversations while reading a VN, if I ever rollback, it's to read previous dialogue.

10 slots is the max. i've used before.

---Would you play differently if you knew that the game only allows for one save file to be created?

Would probably play the game in one sit even if it takes me hours. What about overwriting the file?

---Would you play differently if you knew that each playthrough of the game permanently* changes the game?

Don't know if I would like that but it would be interesting to see. You don't see that in your usual visual novel release.

Geistbas
Regular
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagory
Deviantart: Geistbas

#28 Post by Geistbas »

Alright, Alcor, good job with all of this! I'll leave some feedback for you here so far.

Honestly, there is only one case in my own VN where the fourth wall is broken, maybe two, and it can be a good source of humor. I hope you pull this off well, because too much of this may be too quirky - so definitely something worth seeing, I bet. Nevertheless, I didn't play many games that break the fourth wall. Oftentimes it's good to leave a game within its own world, but I am not against breaking the fourth wall at all, I do it myself as well, while not much, I do.

What got me somewhat charmed is the narrator's design. Like, really, these kinds of characters... I saw many TV shows and such where the narrator was weird, some random usual guy or just not very notable, doing his everday job in a studio. You managed to make a narrator that, while looking a little less imperative than the other characters, still manages to stand his own ground visually, as a sprite. So that's really great! You truly put a lot of effort into this, and I can see that. I will say something more, too:

I also rechecked the narrator's sheet. It's blank, no text except his name . I started smiling, almost went into a silent laughter. Like, yes, as I said, less imperative, yet looks somewhat awesome. I'm really excited about truly seeing how his lines and actual ingame phrases will be like. Also, truly interesting hairstyle, again I will stress the point that you designed him well.

Frustrated with the narrator. Oh dear, no, you didn't.... :D

Also, I don't mind that you only showed GUI screenshots mostly, since I don't think I would need to know anything more when I read what you have to say about the project, presenting the GUI is a good thing for us to see, at best. I'm quite okay with this!

I will try to tell something about each of the males, hopefully I will provide useful feedback and opinions.

Okay so you used a different background color for each character, awesome! Makes me feel better looking at them.

You said very few things about each of them, and well, that's like... interesting, I am wondering if the game explains their backgrounds much more intensively? Like, these basic words on their profiles are just enough, yet I am looking forward to see just how much these profiles say compared to the ingame storyline. Then again the purpose of this game is breaking the 4th wall and realizing that they're in an otome game so that's understandable, haha.

Putting their transparent sprite versions in their job outfits (except Nial) behind them is also nice looking, great work!

BRYN

Interesting, first guy to be gentle, diligent and thoughtful - shy and softspoken. You know what? His hairstyle looks quite like mine in reality! :)

Also, he looks, by his body and clothing, like a street fighter in some way, he could easily be fit for a fighting game! That's just a sily remark I have, ignore it if it's too silly, pretty please. But with those personality traits he has, it makes for an interesting paradox to think this way, so I wanted to say that. ^^

His name reminds me of two of my favorite words, Brine and Brimstone, I use those words quite often when I write randomness on a paper. Okay I will get really nerdy and philosophical and tell you that Brine reminds me of sea, and Brimstone of flames. Like if you combined fire and water.... fiery appearance of a strong guy with a calm watery personality of a gentle person.

Overly a handsome guy, never exactly seen the combination of yellow-orange and gray in this way, almost made me think only construction workers wear these colors of clothing....huh... Though I will say the orange-ish coloring on the part below the neck looks a little plastic, just a friendly remark, but I believe you are improving well!

LEVI

Okay, what...? Are you doing this on purpose? xD Now we have a long-haired guy that seems to dress somewhat normally and non-forcefully, has some feminine appearance traits and wants to be a badass "bad boy"? This is like...the opposite of Bryn..? Or am I just thinking too much about it? He almost looks like he has heterochromia on the picture, thanks to the shadow of his hair, so that does make him look interesting and I got confused for a moment.

I feel unsettled about his problems, when you see that he "hates that he is expected to act charming and gentlemanly". Well, I have not much to say else, this is about it. ^^ Awesome red hair shading and style.

NIAL

Oh gosh, those 1's and 0's immediately make me think like he is a computer program itself or something, when I compare it to your game's info, just the first impression I get.

Sorry, while I won't say much about him, let me just say that these helpful characters that give romantic advice always interested me in VNs, so I think it's a good decision that an advice guy is in your game. Makes it even more interesting when the game is about breaking the fourth wall, eh? Bonus points for being the helper of the narrator.

KEAN

Hmm... You know, until I read his profile, I thought he wouldn't be a "natural sweetheart". You truly are original in many ways, Alcor, and maybe, I just appreciate this because I haven't even played an otome game in my life, and your game will definitely be the first game that I will try, for sure.

*reads the text below KEAN's picture* (NO EDIT - typing this exactly after the stuff above)

.......OK, I got owned. :D

--------------------

Do you also get the feeling when you can't decide which love interest to pursue? When you have 4 characters? Well, as more and more characters exist, you want to see the best ones first? or the less interesting first? To be honest I can't really decide which character I would be interested in just now. And I am not kidding, there are VNs where some love interests are simply "trash" characters, and you are bored trying to get their interest. Trust me, I played VNs or even some dating sims where I liked only one girl, and the rest of them didn't interest me much. I guess I am picky? or just having natural senses of loyalty? even when playing a game? :)

I honestly have no real idea who I'd try to date first. I find hope in Bryn's eyes, so maybe him ^^ Yeah, he seems to be the least awkward from what I can see. And I tend to choose less awkward characters first.

Now all of them look really nice, you designed them well, and you truly made me think about your world.
Just please DON'T try to make a review about my eleven characters, that would be an overkill, also because it's not a romance game I am making, but a fantasy story and timeline game.

Now I will answer your recent questions as of 01/30:

Honestly, I don't truly care. Few of the non-Ren'Py games that I played, even if they did have rollback, I didn't really use it. I just relied on save files. I am having a difficult time deciding that with my project too. I have no idea how exactly rollback handles some certain effects, would have to research. So, I think disabling rollback won't make me shy away from your game.

No. I would concentrate on what your game has to offer, dear. Lack of rollback and not being able to change choices, I honestly don't really find it an obstacle. There was literally a game I felt very frustrated with, because I had totally no idea how to get a good ending with one girl, and I just tried whatever I could, I'm a person who likes surprises and to figure things out myself.

Then there are people who accidently click on a choice. Umm, okay... that never happened to me, so I don't really know how frustrating that really is. :)

Well I didn't play an otome game, but to be honest, I use around 40 save files in a VN. But I can deal with challenges that game limits throw against me.

I guess, unlike the question with rollback, if you allowed only one save file, I honestly would play differently. Then again, I do love challenges, I played NetHack, a roguelike ASCII game, and created over 15 incarnations of the same character concept, always a priestess class - weak in combat, useful for uncursing weapons and equipment, the game wiki reccomended that priest/priestess class is not good for beginners, but I still spammed more and more. Even if people reccomended to switch classes as you find one difficult to play as, I was only interested in being a priestess in the game! To heck with some tourists, valkyries, barbarians, samurais and whatnot. I wanted to be a priestess and win the game as one! OK, I never even got beyond floor 3, always being killed by either hunger or some kind of monster just appearing from nowhere and reducing my HP to zero. Permadeath. Save file deletion when you are defeated. Yet I was still loyal to the priestess class.

Don't play NetHack - It will make you insane if you don't have firm nerves.

But this is an otome game, not a survival game. I think I would play differently if you allowed for only one save file. Depends on how differently you meant. I would perhaps just try to be careful, and not be too frantic with my choices.

YOU KNOW WHAT? I love you! No funny thoughts. I mean, I am doing this with my game as well! Makes me realize I never stated it in my thread, oops :D If I recall, there is this visual novel Shingetsutan Tsukihime by TYPE-MOON, which needed you to complete the game's main ending once to be able to get different routes on the second playthrough.

So no! I would play completely naturally! If something locks something? There are games which only give you one chance. I personally wouldn't mind if something minor was locked for me, but again, you didn't state which changes will happen that permanently change the game. So let me just say, I would stay away from extreme brutal masochism-core changes like the game not even allowing you to get a chance to do anything. :D But I know that isn't your intention. Minor locks are great! makes you be careful. Replacing some scenes and text and therefore making everyone's playthrough different, that works well, though some players might miss on some things. It all depends on how you write your dialogue and how the narrator messes things up nurtures the story, of course.

---Which characters are most attractive to you, and why?

Well as I said, I find that difficult, all of them are handsome, but I find most relatable to Bryn. And I like Nial for giving advices and being with the narrator. Levi and Kean are somewhat in the neutral for me, I find Kean a little creepy to be honest. :) ... And Levi is just... well, hopefully I will know better once I play your game, can't decide perfectly.

Other than that, High five for the narrator! Most interesting narrator I've seen, even though I didn't see that many narrators in overall.

Good luck, best wishes, and cheers!
-Geistbas

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#29 Post by FonaCall »

I LOVE IT! (the concept, anyway) I would so want to play this!

My two cents regarding the possible gameplay:

Rollback
I'm okay with it. I mean, come on, real life has no rollback, does it? It makes you think more about what you choose to do or say, even if it is a game. (Also, I usually save scum rather than rollback.)
Of course yeah, I'll play differently. Or maybe not, considering I would be playing this for the lolz.

Saving
I use at most two, in any sort of VN. I'm usually a one save file person.
Nah... As I said, I'm usually a one save file person.

Persistent Data
Nope, not really. I would want to know what happens if you complete a route and then pick another one in the next playthrough. (Also, I am working on something like that on our soon-to-be-worked-on otome game.)

Miscellaneous
---Which characters are most attractive to you, and why?
All of them are equally attractive, cause they're meta. I like digging deeper into characters' personalities. Nuff said.

- Piet
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#30 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

I don't use the rollback feature at all, so it wouldn't effect me one way or the other.

I use up to five save slots sometimes, and on really hard to get routes, I end up using like ten, depending on how difficult it is to get that ending. (I suck at getting the good end in a lot of otome games. T_T) But, I think I could work with three slots if you really have to minimize them. Or, I suppose I could use the one slot if that is all you can work with. I want to play this game so badly that I don't even care about things like that right now.

Well, persistent data wouldn't be so bad, as long as someone showed me how to remove it, if I ever needed to. I do love this game, but it might annoy me if I can't change something that I want. If you are simply talking about changes to the gallery, and not changes to the routes or anything of that sort, then I'm completely okay with that.