My art journey~

Art threads specific to a single artist.
King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

Re: My art journey~ (critiques are desired)

#31 Post by King-sama »

Practicing stones~ sadly I didn't done much practice for today T^T
Attachments
stones.png

Alix

#32 Post by Alix »

Your skies are beautiful!

For your most recent piece, the shading on the rocks seems somewhat inconsistent. The highlight on the left-hand rock indicates a light source more towards the left, while the top-most highlight on the right-hand rock seems to indicate a light directly above the rock... except then there's another highlight on the right! And the dark shading is kind of all over the place, to be honest.

Even though you're going for a stylized look, I think you might find it helpful to do some studies from life and/or photographic reference. Lighting is tricky!

King-sama
Veteran

#33 Post by King-sama »

Lol you are right about everything you said there (I gonna focus at these things more ^^')
Thank you for the critque it was really helpful 8)

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#34 Post by hiko27 »

King-sama wrote:Wooooooooooow! this is the longest feedback I have ever received! O,O I need a video about what you were saying to better understand it..
You are like a library! O.o seems that I will always find it too hard to draw moons since a lot of people love them....oh gosh... especially also that I know nothing about them myself ^^'
Sure I would like to see a redlining/color over, it will help a lot! 8) (that if you still feel like doing it, if not then, it's ok~) and thank you for your novel like comment XD you really know a lot!

OK, daytime of relaxing scene it is! (too lazy to draw right now..but I will later ^^")
and nope, I didn't use photoshop's premade gradients...otherwise I can't call that a 'practice', right?
Haha, welcome? Though I do feel as though I'm barging in unannounced whenever I write long critiques, but I do like to help others out whenever I can. Yeah, but really, it's up to the artist to ignore logic if they want to, and just draw what they feel. That's really the beauty of being creative. Express yourself through your drawing however you want. And from how I see it, you don't exactly know nothing. There were some things you got correct like the moon's glow, and the basic stuff so don't beat yourself down.

I'd be glad to. Will try and see if I manage to get the time for it. And you're welcome! Not really, there are still some things I don't know lol.

And looking forward to it. And very true. If there was a clapping emoticon here, I'd use it. Most of the time, artists would rather use gradients like that instead of doing it manually. For me, there's just something about doing things manually (might be the masochist in me lol), it's very fulfilling in a way. And yeah, you get practice.

Also, the stones you made are pretty darn good. You're definitely heading in the right direction. You just need straight and jagged edges inside the stone. Idk if you have a pixiv account, but here's an amazing tutorial by mocha (who has a large gallery of amazing scenery paintings and has a few other tutorials as well) on how to paint/draw stones. You don't need to know what they're saying, the pictures (I think) are enough. Your stones right now look like clay, but it's definitely headed in the right direction.

As for what the user above me said about the lighting, what you could do is before doing any detail work, you can try and set up the lighting profile first. Pretty much, messily do rough lighting. Just general stuff like "Oh, this side should be lighter because the light source is here." It helps you out later on because you've planned for it, and you can flesh that part out without constantly worrying where the light source is.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

King-sama
Veteran

#35 Post by King-sama »

Lol even kids know that moon glows? ^^' (I try to be honest with myself than beating it here ;) )

I am in the right direction? YAAAAAAY!!! Yeah, I have seen that tuto few days ago~ pixiv is filled with inspirational artists! *_* I just wasted my life not being in it. Thanks for the tut link! 8)

Yeah, I thought about doing something like rough shading before I seriously start to color. Thanks for the tip and critique it's really helpful <33

And this is something I worked with few days ago. I was thinking that I should be doing complete drawings no matter how silly was (but decided to not finish it in the end so here's it is ^^'..) I guess I should stick with background art and forget about characters art? gaaah! I can't decide! >A< (help?)
Last edited by King-sama on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiko27
Veteran

#36 Post by hiko27 »

King-sama wrote:Lol even kids know that moon glows? ^^' (I try to be honest with myself than beating it here ;) )

I am in the right direction? YAAAAAAY!!! Yeah, I have seen that tuto few days ago~ pixiv is filled with inspirational artists! *_* I just wasted my life not being in it. Thanks for the tut link! 8)

Yeah, I thought about doing something like rough shading before I seriously start to color. Thanks for the tip and critique it's really helpful <33

And this is something I worked with few days ago. I was thinking that I should be doing complete drawings no matter how silly was (but decided to not finish it in the end so here's it is ^^'..) I guess I should stick with background art and forget about characters art? gaaah! I can't decide! >A< (help?)
Being positive, I see lol.

You're welcome! And I know what you mean. I follow so many artists on pixiv, it's my place for inspiration, as well as to look for more artist to follow. Not that I'm against other artists, but for me, it feels as if pixiv artist care less about making their art look pretty, and more about drawing what's right. Not that there aren't those type of artists on pixiv or DA, but majority are on pixiv. Ah yes. It does get some time to get used to, even I'm still taking my time with doing rough lighting before I color, but let's do our best!

It's not really silly, but from experience, not a lot of people like in-progress stuff. People like to look at beautiful things, regardless if it's a sketch or not. They also prefer colored, but I myself like to look at in-progress stuff. Plus it's your thread, you should post what you want. And you shouldn't limit yourself when it comes to what to draw. Back then, I only drew character art, and less of backgrounds because it was too much, I didn't know anything about it. But if you want to improve (and I'm pretty sure you do), you'll need to tackle your weaknesses and get better at it. I used to avoid doing backgrounds because I'm shit at them, but now, I can do skies and heck, I managed to draw a beach (which I'm very proud of lol). Plus, it might just be me, but working hard at something, and being able to do it later on is very fulfilling. Don't limit yourself as an artist, everybody has the potential to be amazing at it.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Alix

#37 Post by Alix »

Aw, that looks like it was going to be a very cute chibi!

I think if you want to draw characters, then you should draw characters. Like hiko said, don't limit yourself!

But! If you love to do backgrounds and don't want to do characters... then do backgrounds! I think there are more people who do characters (and not backgrounds) than people who do backgrounds (and not characters), so it seems like you could get commissions, if that's what you're aiming for.

King-sama
Veteran

#38 Post by King-sama »

@hiko27:
I honestly donno what you are talking about coz I think all the artist I saw in pixiv had pretty are~! Unlike most DA artists art >3>'

Hmmmm I think it's not like they don't like it, it's just that they are waiting for you to finish it before they comment or fav coz they know the artist won't like to get more support in the wip than in the finished piece xD (I know someone who were angry coz of that reason lol)
But, that's not what I meant with silly, I just meant I was thinking about finishing more art even if it's not that attractive in composition or creative ^^'

Tackling my weaknesses in characters art will probably need me like million years of practice to become good enough with it. plus, it's pretty stressful to me to practice characters art in the first place v_v; I won't be doing art for a living I want to just do some projects for fun with friends but I don't want my art to look shitty either just coz it will be for free. So guess I decided now ^^' Thank you for making me thinking?

@Alix:
Hah, thanks. I forgot how to even chibis >3>'

Yeah, I know that. Well my problem is that I love to color characters, but I hate to DRAW them.

When I only color the character, I hate not to receive proper credit for it, like people only cares about the one who drew. Although, if I drew only the background people won't care about it like how much they would with the characters either but i will be less stressful to draw.

Drawing the character AND color it will be too stressful for me, and getting good with drawing background was my dream since forever ^^' Thank you for your opinion! I hope you could actually get what I wrote there coz it seems puzzling a bit..

hiko27
Veteran

#39 Post by hiko27 »

King-sama wrote: I honestly donno what you are talking about coz I think all the artist I saw in pixiv had pretty are~! Unlike most DA artists art >3>'

Hmmmm I think it's not like they don't like it, it's just that they are waiting for you to finish it before they comment or fav coz they know the artist won't like to get more support in the wip than in the finished piece xD (I know someone who were angry coz of that reason lol)
But, that's not what I meant with silly, I just meant I was thinking about finishing more art even if it's not that attractive in composition or creative ^^'

Tackling my weaknesses in characters art will probably need me like million years of practice to become good enough with it. plus, it's pretty stressful to me to practice characters art in the first place v_v; I won't be doing art for a living I want to just do some projects for fun with friends but I don't want my art to look shitty either just coz it will be for free. So guess I decided now ^^' Thank you for making me thinking?
Omg, sorry it took me so long to notice this. Oh, I did say that most of the artists on pixiv are pretty! I actually prefer pixiv over DA, their stuff seems more dynamic compared to DA.

Haha, probably, or I just seem very haughty and annoying or something. And oh, I didn't think anybody would get angry at having someone support their WIP. I mean, if they didn't want anybody's opinion on it, regardless of it being negative or positive, then they probably shouldn't have posted the WIP???

Ahhh, okay. Yeah, that's good. Nowadays, most artists prefer attractive over everything else. Haha, not really? I mean, I excelled in character art while I failed at backgrounds, as well as animals, but I'm trying and hopefully getting better at background art. I believe you can do it because you know your weakness and you have the desire to work on it. That, in my opinion, is the most important thing when trying to improve. From what I see, all you really need is someone to tell you the right way of drawing characters. I'm pretty sure you can do it. Well, this is just my opinion but I think it's more fun when you expand your choices. Because, for me, when I draw, I mean I like drawing characters, but there's just something very fulfilling about drawing something amazing that you were never good at before. Plus, once you combine both character art and backgrounds, you'll create even more amazing pieces and it feels really nice to know that, "Hey, I drew this!" That's why I try and improve my art regardless of if I'm doing it for a living or not. It does take a while, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

But that's just me though. It's really up to you if you don't want to. And lol you're welcome.
My art thread
links to portfolios

King-sama
Veteran

Re: My art journey~

#40 Post by King-sama »

Haven't been here for a while ^^' //Blaming my depression it was so bad it made me not wanting to draw/speak >_>'
Anyways~ I finished some drawings as samples for future vns I wanna join~~ I wanna join many TT.TT but I am not that fast OTL (a cute bloody game/ a chibi otome fantasy or cooking or both sort of game, any game that has food as a main thing~)

Here is my chibi sample:

And here is my bloody sample~ my oc Duke! he's a vamp now!:

I am quite proud of this, to be honest TT.TT

Hmmmmmmm..........I feel like sketching chibis with food >___>' but donno....
Last edited by King-sama on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

King-sama
Veteran

#41 Post by King-sama »

Practicing trees OTL
forest.png

King-sama
Veteran

#42 Post by King-sama »

Worked in this for four days, I wanted it to be a sprite for free use/sample for future vn games but, in the end I didn't like it so posted it as a normal drawing >_>''
Last edited by King-sama on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

King-sama
Veteran

#43 Post by King-sama »

Like how it's called
I drew another outfit for her but I didn't like it so only posting this one ^^'
Last edited by King-sama on Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nokkart
Deviantart: corey-h

#44 Post by Nokkart »

Amazing work! Love those outfit designs

King-sama
Veteran

#45 Post by King-sama »

Nokkart wrote:Amazing work! Love those outfit designs
Thank you 8D your work is amazing, too!