Jinsei no Mondai [GxG] [Slice of Life, Romance, Dark]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ibukichan
Regular
Completed: Project E.A.R.T.H. [NaNo '15]
Projects: A Step Ahead, Deadhead, Jinsei no Mondai
itch: aikosakana

Jinsei no Mondai [GxG] [Slice of Life, Romance, Dark]

#1 Post by ibukichan »

Jinsei no Mondai
人生の問題 / Life's Problems

Jinsei no Mondai is, for the most part, a fluffy GxG story about strengthening friendships, making new ones, and finding love, while dealing with exams and other problems. The character routes, however, explore darker themes, and a constant theme is 'Never judge a person by how they seem, for you never know what goes on behind closed doors.'

Characters

ImageImage
Ryoko Miki - Protagonist
Miki is an optimistic, bubbly girl with no ill intentions and a positive outlook on life. She loves her friends deeply, and would do anything for them. She lives with her older brother, and harbors some resentment towards her parents, who abandoned them to chase their dreams.

ImageImage
Amagawa Kasumi
Kasumi is a dreamer with her head in the clouds. She loves art, and is good at it, and wants to pursue a career in that field. Her ambitions are a constant source of disagreements between her and her father, who wants her to succeed him as head of the Amagawa Conglomerate, a powerful company that Kasumi wants nothing to do with.

ImageImage
Hamano Yuki
Yuki gets what she wants. She's incredibly spoiled, and never hears the word 'no'. Her father is the current Prime Minister of Japan, and he wants the best for her, so he always gives her anything she could possibly want and more. Despite her spoiled, whiny personality, she is fiercely loyal to her friends, and puts them above everything.

ImageImage
Akiyama Shizuka
Shizuka is a shy, distracted girl with a lot going on in her head. She's an extremely talented musician, although she downplays her abilities. After a year of being friends with the others, she's finally starting to become comfortable around them, and is opening up. She smiles more now than she used to, and Miki loves that she's been able to make a difference for her.

ImageImage
Natsume Emiko
Emiko is a childish girl who loves playing pranks and making jokes, the polar opposite of Hoshi, her twin. She's very excitable and energetic, and has a hard time sitting still due to her ADHD. She hates school, and would rather be playing sports or video games. She has a bit of a temper, but she's all bark and no bite. She loves her sister above everything, and will threaten to fight anyone who messes with her.

ImageImage
Natsume Hoshi
Hoshi is serious and studious, and a lot of her time is dedicated to keeping Emiko in line. She loves school, and although, like her twin, she has ADHD, she works hard to stay focused and is consistently at the top of the class. No one has ever seen her angry, and Emiko jokes that they don't want to. Although most of the time, she seems exasperated by Emiko, it's obvious that she cares for her above anything else, and everything she does is to help her twin.

ImageImage
Rin Hitoka
Rin is a distant, hateful girl whom people are scared to approach. Not a lot is known about her, but if you believe rumors, she's either a drug dealer, an escaped serial killer, or a psychotic criminal on the run from the American FBI. Something about her intrigues Miki, and even though people warn her against it, she wants to try and get closer to Rin.

Ryoko Yasushi
Yasushi is a fun-loving, yet responsible older brother. He's a talented chef, and dreams of someday opening his own restaurant. He put his dreams on the back burner when his and Miki's parents abandoned them, and took a less-than-desirable job working as a line cook in a fancy restaurant that could afford to pay him 4x what they do. His first priority is taking care of his little sister.

Features
-Lots of CGs
-Lots of choices
-Goal of 100k word count
-10 unlockable routes, good and bad for each character (twins have one combined route)
-Potential 11th hidden route

Demo Progress:
Planning: 100%
Writing: 2.5%
Sprites: 100%
CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%
GUI: 0%
Music: 0%
Programming: 0%

Full Game Progress
Planning (Common Route): 100%
Planning (Character Routes): 20%
Writing: 0%
Sprites: 100%
CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%
GUI: 0%
Music: 0%
Programming: 0%

Credits:
Aiko (me~) - planning, writing, programming
morg - sprites
Windchimes - ideabouncer, editing
isanart - cgs
Atomic-Invasion - GUI

Still looking for BG and CG artist(s)!

Questions

1. What do you think of the characters? Are there any in particular that you like? Any that you don't?
2. Does the premise seem interesting? The constant theme?
3. Is there anything that makes you not want to play the game?
4. Do you have any questions for me?
Last edited by ibukichan on Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:07 am, edited 19 times in total.

ibukichan
Regular

Re: Jinsei no Mondai [GxG] [Slice of Life, Romance, Dark]

#2 Post by ibukichan »

(reserved for update notes)

11-30-2015: Added character art for Akiyama Shizuka
12-2-2015: Added character art for Natsume Emiko and Natsume Hoshi
12-5-2015: Added character art for Ryoko Yasushi, finished planning common route
12-7-2015: Added outfit variation for Ryoko Miki
03-01-2016: On hiatus
Last edited by ibukichan on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:56 am, edited 10 times in total.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#3 Post by Windchimes »

1. What do you think of the characters? Are there any in particular that you like? Any that you don't?
I like all the characters! I think I'm most interested in Emiko. She sounds really fun (and like someone I knew xD). And of course, Rin. Who doesn't love getting to know a mysterious person? They're the best routes to play through in VNs imo because they usually have the most interesting back stories. xD The only one I'm uncertain about is actually the main character. From the description so far, she sounds way too sweet, happy and perfect (aside from the resentment towards parents part), but that makes her seem a little too flat and boring, especially the "no ill intentions" part. Can anyone not have ANY ill intentions ever? That doesn't seem realistic. Not sure if that makes sense, but yeah, I'm not too fond of the perfect female MC so maybe it's just my personal preference.

Yep it sounds interesting! And there aren't many Yuri VNs so this is cool. I like the themes as well. Really looking forward to figuring out all the characters after playing through their routes!

Hmm not really. But just one concern: There is a rather large cast of characters imo so I feel like I'm going to start forgetting who is who (especially those names...not familiar with Japanese names) xD

You're still looking for editors/ideabouncers right? I wouldn't mind helping out with that if you need anyone still! Just drop me a PM or something if you want~

Anyways I'm looking forward to this game a lot! PS: The art is really nice. I like it a lot.

ibukichan
Regular

#4 Post by ibukichan »

Windchimes wrote:1. What do you think of the characters? Are there any in particular that you like? Any that you don't?
I like all the characters! I think I'm most interested in Emiko. She sounds really fun (and like someone I knew xD). And of course, Rin. Who doesn't love getting to know a mysterious person? They're the best routes to play through in VNs imo because they usually have the most interesting back stories. xD The only one I'm uncertain about is actually the main character. From the description so far, she sounds way too sweet, happy and perfect (aside from the resentment towards parents part), but that makes her seem a little too flat and boring, especially the "no ill intentions" part. Can anyone not have ANY ill intentions ever? That doesn't seem realistic. Not sure if that makes sense, but yeah, I'm not too fond of the perfect female MC so maybe it's just my personal preference.

Yep it sounds interesting! And there aren't many Yuri VNs so this is cool. I like the themes as well. Really looking forward to figuring out all the characters after playing through their routes!

Hmm not really. But just one concern: There is a rather large cast of characters imo so I feel like I'm going to start forgetting who is who (especially those names...not familiar with Japanese names) xD

You're still looking for editors/ideabouncers right? I wouldn't mind helping out with that if you need anyone still! Just drop me a PM or something if you want~

Anyways I'm looking forward to this game a lot! PS: The art is really nice. I like it a lot.
I'm glad you're looking forward to it!

Emiko's a lot of fun for me to work with, which makes me hope that she'll be equally fun for people to read. Rin's actually my favourite, even though I totally shouldn't be biased since they're my characters xD. I also had the thought that Miki is too flat, and now that I know that it's not just me being overly critical, I'm gonna try rounding her out a little

It is a rather large cast of characters, so I'm hoping that their personalities and appearances are different enough that people can keep them straight

I'll definitely send you a PM~

ibukichan
Regular

#5 Post by ibukichan »

Just a quick update, the sprites have been completed! A huge shoutout to the wonderful morg, who is absolutely amazing~
Also, the common route has been completely outlined!
We are still looking for CG and BG artists, so please message me if you can help out!
<3

BloodOcean
Deviantart: GLaDPerson

#6 Post by BloodOcean »

Wow!! Is the writing really 0%?! I would love to help. I don't have examples of my work since I'm new here and most artists just turn me down saying I'm new here. PM me if you're intrested :)

ibukichan
Regular

#7 Post by ibukichan »

BloodOcean wrote:Wow!! Is the writing really 0%?! I would love to help. I don't have examples of my work since I'm new here and most artists just turn me down saying I'm new here. PM me if you're intrested :)
aha the writing's only at 0% because I'm so busy at the moment... I'm gonna be writing it eventually, between school and work. Thanks so much for your interest, but I'm not looking for another writer at the moment :)

Geistbas
Regular
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagory
Deviantart: Geistbas

#8 Post by Geistbas »

I don't know why, but by looking at the sprites, I got reminded by my favorite visual novel Brass Restoration. Very strange... I.. don't understand.

I don't play anime/manga games too often now, because it is too comical for my adult eyes, but if you do finish this, I will make an exception.

Please keep it up, but don't overwork.