Sprites: What sort of character next?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
figoree
Deviantart: figoree

Sprites: What sort of character next?

#1 Post by figoree »

Hi there, hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.

I recently created a female sprite in uniform (which can be found here) and I'd like to do another.

I'm wondering if I should do another female, different pose, hair etc. but in the same uniform so they can be used together, or if I should do a male or child instead?

What sort of characters are mainly requested for visual novels as it will be free for use.

Please let me know :D !

namastaii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Template Maker for Ren'Py, What Life
Github: lunalucid
Soundcloud: LunaLucidMusic
itch: lunalucid

Re: Sprites: What sort of character next?

#2 Post by namastaii »

How many girls do you have so far that match together? If you have a few, you could start with boys?

figoree
Deviantart: figoree

#3 Post by figoree »

namastaii wrote:How many girls do you have so far that match together? If you have a few, you could start with boys?
I only have one girl so far. Do you think it's a good idea to make some more girls with the same uniform?

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#4 Post by Fuseblower »

Well, I guess if you make a set of sprites then you should decide on a theme first, a theme that fits a type of visual novel you're aiming at.

For example : one that takes place in a school. In that case you'll need a whole bunch of students, some teachers, someone working the canteen, a gardener perhaps, etc. There might be different outfits (sport outfits, casual wear, etc.).

I would definitely go for different poses. An expression is carried a lot by the body posture. From a simple silhouet you can tell whether someone is afraid, angry, etc.

Character also shows in body posture. A shy person might have their body turned away from the viewer in a 3/4 view, the head tilted forward, slumped shoulders, arms in front of their body, etc. Whereas an outgoing person will face the viewer frontally, an outstretched neck, wildly gesturing arms, etc. A confident, aloof person will "hang" in their posture with a pelvis that's thrust forward, a face that's turned away from the viewer and tilted somewhat back so it appears they'll look at you from a higher standpoint, etc.

Of course, clothing reflects character as well. Even in the case of school uniforms.

So, I would think about what kind of characters (shy, aloof, energetic, childish, etc.) I would want in my set and what basic expressions I would want for them (neutral, laughing, embarrassed, angry, etc.). Of course, each different character will express the basic expressions differently. For example : an energetic care free character might laugh (with the standard hand behind the head pose) when embarrassed whereas the shy person will hide their face in their hands while going completely red.

I think it would be a good idea to make more girls with the same uniforms but to make these girls different in character.