Hell Diary [Paranormal/70s][GxB/G]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

Hell Diary [Paranormal/70s][GxB/G]

#1 Post by Noyemi K »

TECHNICAL OVERVIEW/NOTES
Hell Diary is a windows game that recreates the experience of playing a game on early Japanese PCs from NEC, specifically the NEC PC-88 and PC-98 series. It has a strict limitation of a 3-bit display (8 colours) and display resolution of 640x200 (or, for the liberties of this game, 640x400—more than the PC-88, but still within PC-98 spec). The music is all done for the 6-channel YM2203 FM chip from Yamaha, and the files used in the game will run on real NEC hardware. As a result of the strict adherence to technical limitations for the sake of authenticity, Hell Diary is also a very tiny game weighing in at around 7 MB as of right now (even with 20 music tracks and 2 ambience tracks).
STORY AND CHARACTERS
The game is set in a completely fictional world, in a country called Galwihanawe in 1979. Civil unrest, strife, and resentment at Galwihanawe's increasingly totalitarian government and institutional discrimination against the indigenous majority population is coming to a head as the Royal Military is used against the people its supposed to protect. Martial law and an open hatred of Gyonsomi culture, including the destruction of longstanding clerical orders and religious tradition, proves to be the last straw before full-blown revolt. Everyone with a bone to pick with the Royal Family has come out to do damage in their own way, including a massive criminal enterprise, a revolutionary army led by the charismatic communist leader Mae Churun, and the powerful and insular religious orders that the government sought to destroy.
=============================
The playable characters are:

Kekoha Tanmun
Born 17 June, 1950. Kekoha is a young professor at Lanmun University, one of the most prestigious schools in the country. Despite being all but a card-carrying Gyonsomi nationalist with her xenophobia worn on her sleeve, she's dating a blonde-haired foreigner named Lucas Mikierr. This isn't the only thing she second-guesses throughout the game—but what that is will depend on you!

Eun Utai
Born 10 February, 1954. She's a programmer working at the DelmunSoft offices in Nampodon, a suburb of the capital city. Comes from an impoverished background, very religious with strong ties to the clergy. Her sister is in the Royal Legion, which has become more of a secret police force. Eun is generally not much for words but has a warmth to her presence despite her intimidating stature. Her hometown of Lamsun is one of the early sites of full-blown violent hostility against the government, thanks to an increase in triad aggression there.

Anastasiya "Nastya" Falken
Born 21 March, 1965. A red-haired foreign high school student with a huge interest in computers and electronics on a class trip for immersion study. She's a wizard with electronics and tools and can't wait to get her hands on something more advanced than a dumb terminal. The player has the most influence over her personality, though she's not entirely a blank slate. She's cheerful, bubbly, and optimistic.
=============================
Key terms:
Gyonsomi - "Indigenous" dark haired, red or pink-eyed Galwi. All Galwi saints are Gyonsomi. They make up the majority of the Galwi population and lately have fallen victim to institutionally sanctioned destruction of their culture.

Runsomi - "Wildlander" brown-haired, blue or brown-eyed Galwi. Due to their similarities in appearance to the ethnic Lymdillic people across the ocean, they were never really considered Galwi. In the mid-1800s, a Runsomi army defeated Saint Pimiko's army in the capital city and a Runsomi clan took over and installed a Queen. They moved the capital to Jikjon.

Mun-wi - A mildly insulting reference for Gyonsomi, since many of their surnames end in "Mun" (Yalmun, Tanmun, Nakamun, Nanamun, etc.). It means "Mun-people", "Mun-folk", or "Muns", like calling Russians "Ivans".

Delmun Corporation - A large Chaebol (conglomerate corporation) gaining power in the wake of a booming new consumer electronics market—personal computers. The game begins shortly before the PC-2219 and their new operating system C-CPM ("Consumer Command and Control Program for Microcomputers", a DOS-like OS) is available to consumers.

-don/-jon - Designated municipal government, with -don being a subset of -jon (e.g., Nampodon is a ward in the city of Jikjon)
GAMEPLAY
The game takes you through the perspective of 3 different young women with events happening roughly concurrently between February 1979 and August 1979. Each character will brush up against one of the four factions, and stuff that the player does will affect the overall story that plays out. The actual game style is top-down, tile-based navigation (like an RPG) in one of three very large towns.

Even through a combination of investigation and informed-decision making, shaping the story's only half the fun! There's also loads of supplemental information, worldbuilding, and side stories the player can pursue if they wish to find out more about Galwihanawe's culture and neighbors.
SCREENSHOTS AND MEDIA
(Note: the actual window size for the game is 640x400, but the engine letterboxes to 640x480 in fullscreen)

ImageImage
ImageImage

The OST can be found under Music Disk II and Music Disk I on Bandcamp.

Qs
1. Do you see yourself getting immersed in some thick worldbuilding, provided it's done in manageable chunks?
2. Would you play this game if it were available on steam? Even though I'm so close to a demo, I'm still not even sure if I want it to be a commercial product.
3. Have you played my previous games?
4. Do you really care if the romantic content is scant?
5. Do you have any further questions about me or the game? Let me know!
Last edited by Noyemi K on Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

Re: Hell Diary [Paranormal/70s][GxB/G]

#2 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

I think world building would be fun~

If it is a commercial game, I don't think I could get it for a long time. I can't spare the change right now.

No, I haven't played your other games. Sorry. ^^;

I usually only play visual novels if they are dating sims, so I would mind if there was little romantic content.

Noyemi K
Regular

#3 Post by Noyemi K »

Well the chief reason I'm struggling with whether or not to offer it commercially is because of some grey area about a third party .dll I'm using to help emulate the FM chip. Free stuff, surprisingly, has less of a chance at getting played than stuff you have to pay for though.
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#4 Post by Alcor »

1. Do you see yourself getting immersed in some thick worldbuilding, provided it's done in manageable chunks?
Definitely! I find it worldbuilding fascinating, and I'd love to see how you would go about doing it.

2. Would you play this game if it were available on steam? Even though I'm so close to a demo, I'm still not even sure if I want it to be a commercial product.
Personally, I rarely use steam, and I haven't played any visual novels on steam.

3. Have you played my previous games?
I have played Blind Griffin. I loved it :D

4. Do you really care if the romantic content is scant?
I'm more interested in worldbuilding than romantic content, haha. As long as the game isn't advertised as a romance-focused game, I really won't mind if romantic content is scant--or even non-existent, depending on what you think works best for your game.

5. Do you have any further questions about me or the game? Let me know!
No questions here! I am intrigued by your graphics, though, and look forward to a demo. Best of luck!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Noyemi K wrote: 1. Do you see yourself getting immersed in some thick worldbuilding, provided it's done in manageable chunks?
Sounds like a good idea. I believe that you will benefit by taking some time to establish your fictional world. Strive to maintain a balance between showing the reader the setting and keeping the characters active in the story.
Noyemi K wrote: 4. Do you really care if the romantic content is scant?
No. Remember, this is your story, so create what you want. I think you will benefit by excluding things which would detract from your story, or which would seem like padding. In other words, it's up to you whether your story will include a romantic subplot, or a hip mascot character, or a car chase, or a disco dancing scene, or anything else.

(It might be off-topic, but there is an inspiring TVTropes article called Doing It for the Art. It includes quite a few examples of people who made extra efforts to create fiction that was experimental, genre-bending, or just excellent.)

Noyemi K
Regular

#6 Post by Noyemi K »

Hey folks, I was demoing a very cut-down demo of this at SXSW yesterday and the day before. You can try it at home and get it for yourself for a day or so more, and then I'm taking it down to work on it a bit before the full demo's done.

I also have a brand-new website!
Music composer for:

Noyemi K
Regular

#7 Post by Noyemi K »

Work is still progressing, but it's progressing very slowly. I've programmed some additional music and made distribution material, but I'm holding off on actual work on it until I update Amihailu in Dreamland.
Music composer for: