Live2D & Emofuri, Pros & Cons?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
deCASSNI
Projects: "This is Literally a Self-Insert VN"
Tumblr: deCASSNI
Deviantart: CasslynTheHedgehog
Soundcloud: deCASSNI

Live2D & Emofuri, Pros & Cons?

#1 Post by deCASSNI »

Sorry if this is in the wrong category, I'm extremely new to how forums work.
But I was curious if anyone has an ACTUAL list of pros and cons of both Live2D and Emofuri.
I'm planning to buy one of them but I would like to know everyone's personal opinions/personal list of pros and cons.
I have read a few forums on these programs, although a lot of it seems to come back to just one being better than the other or one works better with a certain program, at least, as far as I'm aware.

Any form of pros and cons will do, thanks ^^

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Live2D & Emofuri, Pros & Cons?

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Live2D is an actual real-time solution. It is running animations in-game, in psuedo-3d. Your characters can react in real time to the player - i.e. follow the mouse cursor, react to being clicked on, etc. You can use the full features of Live2D for free - you only owe money if your game makes over 10000 US Dollars. And maybe not even then, depending on what platforms you are releasing your game to - Live2D is free for commercial indie games. It also has native support available in Unity and Tyranobuilder.

Emofuri exports the animations to your game as GIF files, which are limited to 256 colors, and can't react to the player in real time. You'd have to create separate animations and switch between them on a click, or something like that. If you are using the free version of Emofuri, you are limited to 4 second clips, and can't use them in a commercial game (have to purchase a full license). It seems easier to use than Live2D, but more limiting. Few game engines support gifs anymore.

All depends on what you want to do and what you are comfortable with.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Live2D & Emofuri, Pros & Cons?

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Live 2D is generally considered as better, especially now that Renpy will support movie sprites, you can export it as a movie and convert to a form that Renpy can use. The license is also better.