Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
franny

Re: Ideas Dump

#1456 Post by franny »

I have an idea, and I don't think I'm skilled enough to create it. (It's not even a good idea~)
Imagine a world where people are born either background characters or protagonists. Say, you're born with pink hair and red eyes, that means you're predestined to become a magical girl of some sort. Be born plain, and whee, background character. Thing is, most people don't want to become protagonists because they end up getting chased by monsters, trapped in death contracts, betrayed by their fellow magical friends for some sort of plot point, trapped in murderous yandere love triangles, or overly stressed since main character life doesn't give much free time.

So the story goes like this: you an ordinary person, give birth to a child, perfectly background character-like, and one day, she wakes up and has all the magical girl traits. As a parent, you want to give her what she wants, a perfectly normal life. The thing is, it's easier said than done. All the main character stuff which should have happened in her childhood happens in one fell swoop over the course of a year, and the goal is to keep her from falling into a plot arc.

You have to shoo away magical animals delivering magical news, you have to get rid of gangsters trying to recruit her as their mascot, you have to help her break apart love triangles involving werewolves and rich dudes, you have to check the bathrooms for tentacle monsters... Those things.

The thing that'll make this fun is all the tropes and stuff. Stuff 'em all in.

Harick
Veteran

#1457 Post by Harick »

I was thinking about Dragon Ball and how it started relatively small scale and eventually came to a point where a single character can destroy a planet, when I came up with this idea:

It starts off on earth which is being controlled by a tyrant with the ability to affect gravity, and thus can make asteroids collide with the planet. The main character would be a part of a resistance group who can affect gravity too. They would fight his goons and eventually work their way up to him and defeat him. But then it's revealed that the tyrant was actually working for someone else who can move planets. The main characters would eventually defeat him but it would only be revealed that he was working for someone else and it would continue this way until everyone is casually throwing galaxies at each other.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#1458 Post by curry nochi rice »

Planning to do a short romance novel set during the colonial era of one country and gonna make it based as **** that the rest of my country would lynch me for depicting the period in a good light.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Kkoro
Regular
Projects: False Elegy, Incompatible Species
Deviantart: 6kkoro

#1459 Post by Kkoro »

Ok I actually used an idea I read somewhere on Lemmasoft but I can't find it back. If you know which one I mean, please tell me. The main theme of that idea was for you to die and retry to make progress.
Based on that Idea I dreamt my own horrorgame. (it was not fun)

You have the power to experience future dead-ends. You live in a house with 9 other people who also have powers. One of them is possessed and you need to find out who before everyone dies one by one.
  • The visions you have give you hints in multiple ways so that you can prevent it from happening, or avoid it. These hints can be blood spreading from an item or place while the cursed spirit is talking to you about his/her past. Footsteps and hand prints in the blood will tell you where to look.
  • Dead-ends can be accidents, getting killed by someone possessed, or even getting caught by summoned creeping shadows that are summoned on the first floor of the house.
  • You can ask a friend for help by using his powers. However, the cursed spirit will start to target him, just like how he's targeting you.
  • Every few days, a random house member will die.
  • The less house member, the more dead-ends will be created for you.
  • If everyone died except for you and the cursed one, you'll lose.
Character Designer and Illustrator
Follow me on social media!

CrazyHussar
Projects: Ever Wished Life
Organization: Mooncaller Studio

#1460 Post by CrazyHussar »

I'm stucked with the building of my VN's lore, so I came here to brainstorm up the main idea.

According to the mythology, the two gods (literally "light" and "shadow") have been defeated in a great prehistoric war, called the War of the Two Moons - the united forces of the humanity and the mythic creatures (what are the creations of the gods) banished the gods to the sky. To maintain their prestige, the gods offered magic to the human leaders at the end point of the war. Both gods gave 20-20 magic to the manking. The god of light have been set up a hierarchy between the magic, setting them to three tiers. The god of shadow sought balance in their 20 magics: who asked for too much he "mixed" some handicap in, who asked for some unusual he gave them possibilities, who asked for some regular he gave them without anything else. Every magics usability depends on the magic carriers personal skill levels.

Note that the most of the magic are used by mpthe mthic creatures.

The carriers of the god's magic have been the nobility and the magic inherited by born. Some of the magics went extinct because they comdemned dangerous of the people's freedom or the high authority.

Magics of the Light God:
- Stormcalling (tier1): the carriers possessed with the power of the very element of the storm. They can arouse lightning from their bare hands and can call powerful storms to the sky.
- Firewaking (tier1): the carriers might call up on the wrath of the god of light in form of flames. They can wake fire from nothing, heat up objects and control existing flames.
- Heaven call (tier1) #EXTINCT: the carriers are blessed by the light god himself. They can "contact" him for divine advice what can reflects as mass manipulate class magic: the carriers can calm down, enrage or befear the targets.
- Healing (tier2): the carriers can speed up the natural healing processes, so they can prevent creatures from dying by a fatal wound.
- Clarivoyence (tier3): the carriers can see further than other humans and in various spectrums of light - they can even detect invisible carriers or mythic creatures.
- Animal Allegiance (tier3): the carriers can build up a new level relationship with animals - they can't comtrol their mind but can understand eachother and that might help mending them. Tough, this magic is mostly useless against a pack of hungry wolves, unless the carriers know the wild enough. Mostly passive magic.

Magics of the Shadow God:
- Mind control #EXTINCT: the carrier has tremendous charism and strong will what no one can match. Mostly passive magic but have been an active form, called Absolute order: the carrier could forced anyone to do almost anything - suicide included.
- Spectral form: when asleep, the carriers can "stand out" from their physichal body and can walk along in the world. They can interact with the physichal world but can not be harmed (unless magics) - skilled carriers might spoof the others with their spectral from.
- Collapse #EXTINCT: (did you see the anime called Charlotte? Same as hell)
- Blink: they wanted to teleport but the god thought that would be too OP, so he limited the travel destination to around 50-100 metres.

|
|
|
V

So guys, let's make some magic ^^

Harick
Veteran

#1461 Post by Harick »

Short idea that I probably won't do here: A medieval fantasy, but instead of a generic European-ish setting it would be based on African history and mythology. I got some of the idea here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZLGKFWlRzY
There was also another video that doesn't seem to be up, but if it comes back up the name is Brows Held High Yeelen

n0tgin
Regular

#1462 Post by n0tgin »

I feel like it's been forever since I visited the forum... Shame. But anyway, recently I've been feeling extremely fluffy for some reason and I've always been fond of simple romances. Childhood friends to lovers, promises, etc. Somehow it all seems really... sweet to me. Lately, I've been more into established relationships than courtships, "the chase", etc. So... what about a VN about established relationships? Y'know, just short snippets of a couple's relationship as it plays out.
Recently, I've also been wanting to see a story where there's a 2 girls-1 boy trio, in contrast to your usual 2 boy-1 girl ones... I don't know, I think it'd be unusual to see. But fun, maybe.

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#1463 Post by Kumiho »

You're a talented magician, and by killing ten thousand (or some other large number of) people (+ misc spells and the like), you can resurrect someone perfectly. When your son/lover/whatever dies, you grieve for a few years, but the grief slowly consumes you... and soon, you decide to resurrect them. This causes wars, this causes mass paranoia, etc. etc. etc... but it doesn't matter, right? Your son/lover/whatever is too important for you to worry about human nobodies... right?

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#1464 Post by curry nochi rice »

A game that's going to clickbait and capitalize on everything the rustles jimmies.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

#1465 Post by somestrangecircus »

n0tgin wrote:I feel like it's been forever since I visited the forum... Shame. But anyway, recently I've been feeling extremely fluffy for some reason and I've always been fond of simple romances. Childhood friends to lovers, promises, etc. Somehow it all seems really... sweet to me. Lately, I've been more into established relationships than courtships, "the chase", etc. So... what about a VN about established relationships? Y'know, just short snippets of a couple's relationship as it plays out.
Recently, I've also been wanting to see a story where there's a 2 girls-1 boy trio, in contrast to your usual 2 boy-1 girl ones... I don't know, I think it'd be unusual to see. But fun, maybe.
Yanderella has a two girls one boy trio...Fun is maybe not the right word.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1466 Post by gekiganwing »

n0tgin wrote: So... what about a VN about established relationships? Y'know, just short snippets of a couple's relationship as it plays out.
Recently, I've also been wanting to see a story where there's a 2 girls-1 boy trio...
When I think about boy x girl stories, I usually remember a focus on a guy pursuing two or more girls, and not as much emphasis on the characters as couples. For instance, Overdrive's bishoujo game Edelweiss has a common route that determines who the main character's love interest will be, and afterwards, it focuses on how the couple's relationship develops. That said, I'm interested in reading more stories that take time to show the characters in a relationship.

A few other ways to think about stories that include boy x girl relationships:

1. The main character isn't an average guy who has several potential girlfriends due to luck or circumstances. Instead, he starts out the story being popular and respected. Even if he's plain looking, people are interested in him as a charismatic person or a celebrity.

1a. Some people hate the main character because he keeps flirting with women. Early in the story, the main character meets a rival who will challenge him. There is a real possibility that the rival will seduce one of the women.

1b. One of my plotbunnies: the MC is a promising student athlete, and already famous in his small town. What is the first major setback? Maybe a small mistake leads to him being seriously injured. Or maybe a small mistake leads to his girlfriend being seriously injured. Either way, how does he deal with this problem? How can he cope with letting his entire community down?

2. Think about making the main character distinct. What about a protagonist who's left college, and who is not sure how to deal with nearly all of his friends getting engaged or married? What about a widow protagonist who has been grieving, and who might soon be ready to look for a new wife? Also, I would be interested in a story about an adult man who's had career and relationship problems, and who needs some changes.

3. An interesting setting. Maybe the story is historical fiction -- perhaps only loosely based on historical events. Place your story in a city or nation that doesn't show up in famous books or movies. Or a near future speculative fiction world that has the premise "What if one event happens in the next few years?"

Akitsuki
Veteran
Deviantart: ak-itsuki
Discord: fsalmon#5522

#1467 Post by Akitsuki »

Right. These are some ideas I got from what I've seen in my dreams. I'm kinda surprised I can remember them clear enough to make a story out of it, though so far I haven't done anything about it except expanding it.

1. You and your club members (including the club supervisor, which is a teacher) go to the city library for book research. While the others are discussing something and having fun, you decide to go out for a while (whether it's buying things or picking forgotten items). By the time you come back, the library yard is crowded with people and police. There are even ambulances. You start to panic and try asking around and they say a poisonous gas bomb exploded a while ago. You search for your friends and your teacher but you can't find them. Later, the news report about the incident, including the victims, but some of your friends aren't mentioned there.

As the story goes, it is revealed that the poisonous gas is a part of developed bioweapons meant to be used to attack the government. You live with your father who works in the military. You want to find out more about the incident, including your friends whereabouts. In the end, you have to choose whether you want to help the government by joining the military, or maybe persistent to find your friends and decide to work with "The Resistance" instead. Of course, there will be several plot twists here.

2. You're a girl with ability to see ghosts. The problem is, you can't fight them. They keep coming to you since you were a child and you feel bothered. An incident with ghosts killed your father, who was an exorcist, while trying to protect you. You decide to seek revenge and find out about the ghost who murdered your father, but still careful enough as not to get noticed by unnecessary ghosts.

One day, you illegally enter a restricted area because the clues you got lead you there. Two guys spot you and you try to escape them. Back in your house, the ghost who killed your father has been waiting for you. You think this will be your end. That's when the two guys who chased you fight the ghost until it leaves. They confess that they are exorcists and that they sense strong aura from you. With their help, you continue to search for that ghost. But will things go as planned?

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#1468 Post by AntiquedFae »

Just going to unceremoniously drop this here in case anyone wants it. I always have so, so many ideas and neither the skills nor abilities to tell them (writing the outline is a struggle as it is) that it's a huge wonder why I haven't posted on this thread before. Anyways, here is my poor unwritten idea cake:

It would be about a teen girl who through an extremely unlikely series of unfortunate events ends up on the shores of a secret boarding school for male monsters. Unlikely events brief summary: girl is in a position for no one to really miss her if she disappears (dead parents, house-hopping orphan) who has just gone to live with a new set of probably relatives who hate her. She sneaks out one night to look at the ocean/sea to give her some solace, but this is in an area where the coasts are jagged and rocky and the waves are cold and erratic and she gets knocked in, promptly blacking out from shock/head trauma/lack of oxygen/whatever. When she wakes up she's on a rocky beach with a tall, imposing building on it. Enter plot.

So she has stumbled upon (or rather washed up upon) a secret exclusive boarding school for roughly teen male monsters which is hidden by dark magic on an island a ways off-shore. This causes a fair amount of initial chaos from everyone involved panicking, but after hearing the girl's story (especially the part about how nearly no one would care if she was dead, and deducing how the search for her has probably turned into a search for her body at this point) it is decided to let her stay (alive) for at least until those in charge can figure out what to do with her. Thus, she starts tagging along to classes, learning about the different boys (bit of a dating feature or romance here) and generally unintentionally worming her way into their (un)lives. So of course they're pretty much all friends when the ultimatum is decided upon: all of the students (it would be a very, very small school) would be opposed to her being killed and disposed of in the regular ways, so the grand monster council or evil monster Victorian headmaster/monster offers a highly unorthodox choice: she may remain human and have all of her memories of the past while wiped and be sent back to sea(probably with a high risk of dying) OR she can retain all of her mind and memories and continue spending time at the school with her new friends...if she becomes a monster of some sort herself, and the school would use her as a trial for making itself gender-integrated. This would be the biggest choice that the player makes.

So the game would be most likely fairly largely character-driven and enriched. I think the game would be good to span about one month or two, since the girl in-game needs at least some amount of time to make up her mind once the choice is presented to her. Since there wouldn't be a great deal of inherent conflict with the plot, the game would rely on things like black humour and the protagonist being nearly eaten at the beginning a few times to add in some more action. And if I'm being honest, a huge appeal of this is the monster transformation scenes. I want them to be super detailed and long, as a focal point.

Since characters are a big part of this, I'll write out some of the sort of monster character drafts I had in mind for this. These are super tentative (you know, with this being thought of two days ago and all). (Note: as I'm going through and writing these out, it could be hilarious to base all of them off different high school clique stereotypes...in monster form. Just a thought.)

Werewolf Boy: Probably one of the friendliest and most open to the girl when she arrives. Likely grew up in a forest and has never seen a human up close before. He'd be one of the least alien to her, owing to the fact that he has a pulse, conscience and values family/friends, despite all of his butt-sniffing, strong prey drive and an unfortunately timed mating season with her arrival (yes, I went there). He might be sort of hyper-American jock as a dorky nod to some horror movies. He'd always be up for turning her.

Sea Monster: Another of the human-lovers. I was thinking of basing his appearance on an anthropomorphic kelpie. A little on the shy side, but friendly enough, other than his thinking that drowning is a good way to get to know someone. Probably with an Irish accent, regardless of where the game takes place. Could go the 'smart boy' route with him. He'd be on the easier side of winning over.

Windigo: Because of the method of turning into a monster via dreaming about one is just too cool to pass up. He would probably be pretty violent and intimidating at first, but would just be a cannibalistic sweetheart once you get to know him better. He'd be First Nations of course; could probably just briefly touch on what tribe he is (or was/would be) from. I think he'd be abnormally tall to reference old windigo lore. Might be sort of a bad boy type, not sure? He would be kind of moderately difficult for turning; jaded at first, but friendly enough after.

Vampire: So I know I want him to be very emotionally cold, attempt to eat the protagonist (at least) once since he confuses her for the school answering his request for fresher blood, be a bit of an aristocratic snob (not overpoweringly so though), and despite my inclinations, I think it would just be natural if we made him a(n undead, predatory) flirt. He'd probably be one of the hardest to win over to convincing to turn the girl. She'd have to impress him with her intellect and sharp wits (and sarcasm). Could totally just base him off a stereotypical 'goth boy'. So maybe she could just impress him largely with her death poetry.

Ghoul: Think he could totally be a prankster/slacker. Cute in a sharp-toothed, grey-skinned boyish way. Ghouls are a pretty general thing, but in general they'd be undead ex-humans and eat rotting meat (almost certainly human, but of course). He'd like teasing the girl about eating out her internal organs in extreme detail, but it's just how he flirts. He'd be totally open to turning her; all she'd have to do would be to ask.

Snake Boy: Not sure what to call him; he'd be based on creatures like nagas, and likely have an Indian look to him, but without the lore behind it. More just a giant, anthropomorphic, highly venomous snake guy. Could make him the popular sort; he'd be a pretty boy with all those glittering scales, after all. He'd have a thing for eating desserts and small animals whole. Very charming. (No snake puns intended, honest.) He might be more difficult to convince to turn her.

So, if you haven't had enough about this already, here's how I was imagining gameplay:

It would mostly be talking with and attending classes with the monster boys. I'm aiming for simple gameplay: the most complex form would be where there is places where the player could choose who they wanted to talk with at certain points, then have one of three choices each of those conversations what to say, which would contribute to a point system impacting how much a boy liked the girl, which would determine whether he would be willing to offer to turn her into what he is at the climax. If this most complex system is what was decided on, each of the boys would have different point thresholds for when they liked the girl enough to make her the offer, depending on their difficulty level.

The simplest form of gameplay would be that there would be no point system and no choices until the very end when the player had to choose what monster they wanted the girl to become. In that case we would just have her talking to all the boys an equal or near equal amount, and she would have managed to impress all of them enough to make them all open to changing her if she asked. We would then have to make how open or closed off they were to her apparent through the writing alone.

The third option would be a balance in between these two, with no point system but it would have the choices of who to talk to, and who the girl talked to would be the determinant of which of the boys would offer to turn her.

-------------

And look, just for fun, here is the start of the opening scene I started writing. I even nicely labelled it for you:

Werewolf “Is she...what I think she is?”

Sea Monster “Yep.”

MC ‘I’m...still alive?’

Werewolf “Holy crap. Crapcrapcrap.”

Windigo “...Should we, you know, eat her?”

MC ‘Cold. Cold limbs. Freezing.’

Sea Monster “I knew you were going to say that.”

Windigo “Guys.”

MC ‘And my everything hurts. What happened?’

Werewolf “No, we can’t do that!”

Sea Monster “Calm down, we need to look at this logically. How did this even happen?”

Windigo “Guys!”

MC ‘Where am I?!’

-eyes open, scene fades in with werewolf, sea monster and windigo-

MC ‘Well, this is certainly quite a wake-up call.’

Windigo “...She’s waking up.”

“...”

Werewolf “Um, hi...there, human.” The strange furry, pointy-toothed boy tries (and fails) to start a friendly conversation with me. His two buddies look at me from the safety of a giant step behind him. It’s hilarious to see guys cowering from me; it brings back fond memories of grade one.

...Although those guys didn’t have blue skin. And I haven’t tried to kiss these ones. Yet.

They are pretty cute, you know, as far as...monsters go.

MC “Yep, this is it Aaliyah; all that house-hopping and childhood denial has finally gotten to you. You’ve lost it.”

I slunk down under whatever it is that was on top of me; feels and smells like bedsheets.

Werewolf “You hop on houses?”

Fluffy Fury tries conversation again. I stick the top of my head out over the covers to glare pointedly at him, but continue on talking like he doesn’t exist. I’m still holding out hope that I’m having post traumatic stress symptoms and that I’ll wake up anytime now.

MC “And cracked your skull open with your brains spilling out like a freshly cracked egg.”

Windigo “Sounds tasty.”

I look over to Mr. Supersize. Hallucination or not, I do not like the look that he’s giving me.

Said look is that of a cheetah staring down an injured gazelle.

So the not-gazelle decides to toss her bedsheets on top of the smug wanna-be-cheetah’s head.

Windigo “Mrf, what in the --?!”

MC “Hehehe!”

Team Human Girl, point 1.

The other two freak show boys pause in shock for less than half a second then burst out laughing.

Sea Monster “Dreaded terror of the Americas, defeated by a half-drowned human girl with a blanket!”

MC “I’d watch that movie!”

Werewolf “I’d want to be a part of that movie!”

He stops laughing for a sec as he turns to me, but the grin doesn’t drop from his face. It gives me a great view of his ten or so sharp, yellow canine teeth.

Werewolf “And you couldn’t watch it, since you’d have to star in it. You are way awesomer than they all told me humans would be.”

Welp, that’s a compliment I’ve never gotten before.

MC “Aww, you’re just saying that to butter me up so I melt in your mouth when you eat me.”

MC “Seriously though, please don’t eat me. Whatever you are, I’m sure I’m very bad for your health.”

Windigo “What makes you so sure, brat?” Tall guy flings the blanket off dramatically as he stands up. For all the anger in his words, he doesn’t actually seem upset. He seems...fired up.

MC “Oh darn, I was hoping I’d get lucky and blankets would be like your silver bullet-”

Friendly fuzzy boy looks uncomfortable at that phrase. Noted.

MC “-or kryptonite and it would make you melt. Then I’d just have a small smug puddle to wash off the floor instead of a full-sized upright one. By the way, where’s my mop.”

The short blue and green boy is watching me and seven-foot tall nervously.
---
And that's that.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#1469 Post by SHiNKiROU »

Harick wrote:I was thinking about Dragon Ball and how it started relatively small scale and eventually came to a point where a single character can destroy a planet, when I came up with this idea:

It starts off on earth which is being controlled by a tyrant with the ability to affect gravity, and thus can make asteroids collide with the planet. The main character would be a part of a resistance group who can affect gravity too. They would fight his goons and eventually work their way up to him and defeat him. But then it's revealed that the tyrant was actually working for someone else who can move planets. The main characters would eventually defeat him but it would only be revealed that he was working for someone else and it would continue this way until everyone is casually throwing galaxies at each other.
I would call that "Dragon Ball Z done right", and somehow your idea reminds me of Mass Effect.

LukaHastune
Tumblr: KeyOftheTwilight03
Deviantart: CelestialLights

#1470 Post by LukaHastune »

An idea I have is you play as a girl who is an experiment having to work under the government. She would be working in various missions and she get's different partners in each mission. The girl is pretty much like a puppet, quiet, expressionless and cold until the partner interacts with her. They could either be interested in getting to know her more or bump into her a lot.

I don't know how that would go though, so that's one thing. :\

I also have one similar to that, but instead of her following missions, she's a wanted runaway experiment, the government wants to capture her by sending people after her. With this one, I'm thinking people that went under the same treatment as her, so she' bump into them a lot as she's in hiding, but they're not the characters you pursue. I'm think each character that's after her would go with the character you're pursuing. It's like you have two characters at the same time, but not. :P

And that's one idea dump I don't understand how it would go as well, but I tried.

I also have an idea where you play as a normal girl who got targeted by strange people one day and was forced into another world that is advanced in technology to play the part of a princess and have to travel to another country to stop this war between them and she get's these companions that would go with her. I'm thinking six, but the sixth person would be a secret. the sixth one might even be the one that will have the route that'll tell you everything that's going on.

That last one I actually worked hard on coming up, but ended up having to abandon, since I don't know how the story is even supposed to go... >.>;