The Thousandth Day [ GxG | Fantasy | NaNo16 ][ART/CHAR UP]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

The Thousandth Day [ GxG | Fantasy | NaNo16 ][ART/CHAR UP]

#1 Post by Kumiho »

• the THOUSANDTH DAY
                    • [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][ GxG | Historical Korea | Fantasy]
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]
[/list][/list][/list][/list]

• INTRO: Helloooo <3 Oh my gosh, I've been dying to make a GxG VN for... forever now,
              and NaNo seemed like the perfect opportunity to finally push myself and create one.
              Thanks so much to fuiichi for all her help <3
              Wish me luck ;u;

BACKGROUND: For centuries, the Korean nine tailed foxes, otherwise known as gumihos,
              have been depicted throughout legends as vicious demons that feast on human flesh and liver.
              And as always, the lores were probably at least partly influenced by reality itself.
              Times have changed, however. With the arrival of guns, the power dynamics have shifted as well.
              The humans are now the hunters; the gumihos are now the hunted.
              In order to avoid persecution -- to avoid death by gunshot -- the gumihos must become human.
              To do so, they must completely abstain from meat for a thousand days.

STORY: Zena (name changeable) is a typical nine-tailed-fox without any concrete goals or beliefs.
              Just as her thousand days of abnegation is drawing to an end, a human girl enters her cave.
              The girl calls herself Bora, and she is undeniably human, yet she claims to mean no harm.
              Slowly, she begins to instill in Zena both doubts regarding her transition to humanity
              and a sense of belonging that Zena has lacked for years...

aka i suck at summaries. i promise the actual vn writing will be much better.

CREDITS: The super talented fuicchi ( LSF profile | itch.io ) has succumbed to my begging attempts
              very generously agreed to provide the art for The Thousandth Day! ;u; (ak;sdkjf so much thanks)
              I am so, so, so grateful, and I desperately hope my writing won't fail her phenomenal art! <3
              She may also be providing ridiculously gorgeous background art, and I am like. Weeping.
              Meanwhile, the background music will be of several CC resources from Jamendo and misc. sites.
              I'll individually credit them after I actually decide on them x'D

DEV BLOG: I only created the blog recently, so it's barren af QnQ
              Regardless, the dev blog for The Thousandth Day + all my future GxG projects can be found
              H E R E !

• FEATURES:
              • Two pretty sprites *u*
                Each sprite will have two poses!
              • Three endings, each of relatively substantial length
                All endings are true and equally romantic.
              • Three CGs -- one for each ending
              • Lots and lots of GxG romance <3
              • Estimated word count of 10-20k
              • Super gorgeous custom backgrounds <3
              OPTIONAL QUESTIONS:
              • Like srs these are just optional <33
              • Even a single-word comment like "ooh" will make me jump up and weep in joy tbh
              • How would you feel about a prologue that introduces Zena's background?
                It'll consist of blackscreen + NVL text. Too boring and redundant?
                Would it be better if I integrate her past into the story itself?
                Or, heck, would it be better if I left Zena's past up for interpretation?
              • How do you feel about longer "endings" that take up 10-30% of a given playthrough?
              • Would you like the option to name the protagonist?
              • Would you prefer a self-insert MC or an MC with a predetermined personality?
              • Should I add anything else to this post?

Last edited by Kumiho on Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:44 am, edited 11 times in total.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Re: The Thousandth Day [ GxG | Fantasy | Lore | NaNo '16 ]

#2 Post by Ghost of Crux »

This is such an interesting premise-- I hope it gets finished! Not to mention the art is really good, too-- I can see that this will be a great VN.
Good luck!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#3 Post by Alcor »

OOH

*cough*

Kumibro! It's so nice to see your thread up, and I'm super excited for the art and the story and everything. I'm not usually that interested in the GxG genre, but I'll definitely give your game a try post-March :D
How would you feel about a prologue that introduces Zena's background?
Hmm, I think I would personally prefer for her past to be integrated into the story, or for certain things to be left up to interpretation. I don't really want to overwhelmed with backstory as soon as I begin a game~
How do you feel about longer "endings" that take up 10-30% of a given playthrough?
I don't see why I wouldn't like them! I think it's important for endings to have substance, so very long sounds better than very short for me. If anything, a longer ending will be more engaging.
Would you like the option to name the protagonist?
I don't think it's very important, haha. Unless it's a more generic otome, I think I would prefer that the character has a preset name with some elaborate meaning XD
Would you prefer a self-insert MC or an MC with a predetermined personality?
Hmmm, I don't know. That's a tough question >_<
Should I add anything else to this post?
BEAUTIFUL ARTZ

But seriously, good luck with your project! Will be looking forward to its completion, whether it's NaNo or post-NaNo. Don't overwhelm yourself with too much writing~

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#4 Post by Windchimes »

YOOOO I'M TOO LAZY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ASK ME IN PM IN LIKE... THREE DAYS OK? I should be studying right now tbh -cough- Anyways! Just want to say that it looks awesomeee~
And curse you for not telling me the premise earlier ;;
I don't usually play GxG but I will when this is released, just for you <3 xD

Good luck! :D I believe in youuu

Kumiho
Regular

#5 Post by Kumiho »

Ghost of Crux wrote:This is such an interesting premise-- I hope it gets finished! Not to mention the art is really good, too-- I can see that this will be a great VN.
Good luck!
Thank you so much <3 And yess, I love fuicchi's art ;u; I'm super looking forward to your VN as well, and thanks so much again for the vote of confidence! 8'D
ALCOR_etc wrote:OOH

*cough*

Kumibro! It's so nice to see your thread up, and I'm super excited for the art and the story and everything. I'm not usually that interested in the GxG genre, but I'll definitely give your game a try post-March :D
ALCOBROOOOO <3 Thank you so much <3 and yasss >8') I WILL TRY MY BEST TO CONVERT YOU TO LIKE YURIDOM OR WHATEVER THE WORD IS. And ooh, I see @ past comment! :) That makes sense. So I guess I should choose between open for interpretation & something solid weaved throughout the plot... Definitely the prologue is out then <3 @ ending comment: aaaa that's great! I wasn't really sure how to make the transitions to the endings flow without adding length to them individually. AND YES THE ART IS BEAUTIFUL I WILL ADD TO OP AS SOON AS I FIGURE OUT WHAT LAYOUT // HOW I'M GOING TO GO ABOUT IT EXACTLY. And thanks so much <3 Ditto for you with art!
Windchimes wrote: YOOOO I'M TOO LAZY TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ASK ME IN PM IN LIKE... THREE DAYS OK? I should be studying right now tbh -cough- Anyways! Just want to say that it looks awesomeee~ And curse you for not telling me the premise earlier ;; I don't usually play GxG but I will when this is released, just for you <3 xD Good luck! :D I believe in youuu
UMMMMM I THOUGHT I DID???? The gxg part is the most important bit anyway so. THANKS FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE & THE WILLINGNESS TO LIKE STRETCH YOUR BOUNDARIES OR WHATEVER FOR THE SAKE OF MOI <3 I PROMISE GXG IS AWESOME OKAY. MINE IS PROBABLY NOT THE BEST EXAMPLE BUT LIKE ONCE YOU TRY GXG YOU CAN'T GO BACK. And wow the lack of effort and dedication into your response like. offends me and stuff. QnQ;; BUT YES I WILL REMEMBER TO PM YOU ALL THE QUESTIONS.

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#6 Post by Seigetsu »

Yay! More GxG games! And I really like modern fantasy type stories. The premise is certainly interesting.

Alright, so here are the answers to your questions:
Hmm...I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I do like some exposition in VNs - they help me immerse into the reading experience, but on the other hand, a blackscreen can seem a bit boring. Ideally, a few graphics here and there during the flashback would be nice, but seeing as it's a NaNoRenO project, that might be too much to ask. In that case, I suppose you can keep the expository prologue at a lower word count (below 1k) and then spread the rest of the info throughout the story? Either way, I would appreciate a background story. I guess I'm one of those readers who likes being spoon-fed - not a huge fan of "interpret it however you want" type of stories.
How do you feel about longer "endings" that take up 10-30% of a given playthrough?
I like longer endings! I like endings that really branch out from each other and reveal different parts of the plotline so that when you have obtained all the endings, everything just seems to come together.
I don't mind either way.
Since the protagonist is a gumiho, I don't think I can really insert myself into her either way (maybe I'm just not that imaginative?), so I would prefer the MC to have a predetermined personality that gets fleshed out and developed upon throughout the story. Self-insert MCs can work, but they are a lot harder to write, so given the short development time of this project, I think a predetermined personality may work better.
Should I add anything else to this post?
Once you have character sprites (or at least their drafts), those would be nice to see. You can also put up really short bios for your characters to introduce them.

That's about it? Good luck with your project! Looking forward to playing it once it's done.

Kumiho
Regular

#7 Post by Kumiho »

Seigetsu wrote:Yay! More GxG games! And I really like modern fantasy type stories. The premise is certainly interesting.
Thanks so much for the support, and thanks so much for such thorough answers ;u; You posted on TSoU as well omg ♥♥ Sorry I haven't replied, I've been temporarily letting the thread die until late April, when I'll actually have the time to work on it again. But just know that I was super thankful for your post *u* And aaaa, it's sadly not modern. It'll be set in around the late Joseon era of Korean history (basically mid/late 1800s), and I totally should have clarified in the first post! Will do so asap.
Hmm...I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I do like some exposition in VNs - they help me immerse into the reading experience, but on the other hand, a blackscreen can seem a bit boring. Ideally, a few graphics here and there during the flashback would be nice, but seeing as it's a NaNoRenO project, that might be too much to ask. In that case, I suppose you can keep the expository prologue at a lower word count (below 1k) and then spread the rest of the info throughout the story? Either way, I would appreciate a background story. I guess I'm one of those readers who likes being spoon-fed - not a huge fan of "interpret it however you want" type of stories.
Hmm, I see! That makes sense :) I don't really think I'll be able to incorporate extra graphics into the prologue ;u; (I already feel like I'm breaking fuicchi's back with too much unpaid work LOL) so I agree either keeping it short & sweet or not having one at all would be best. Also, to be completely fair, I enjoy being spoon-fed as well LOL. Too much subtext just feels more arbitrary than meaningful to me, if that even makes sense. Definitely when writing, though, leaving things up for interpretation seems easier, since you can get your readers to do your thinking for you... 8'D
I like longer endings! I like endings that really branch out from each other and reveal different parts of the plotline so that when you have obtained all the endings, everything just seems to come together.
Yayyy, that's great! Do you think I should incorporate choices into the endings as well (which would sometimes potentially branch out into mini scenes without changing the ending itself), or would that just feel pointless and forced?
Since the protagonist is a gumiho, I don't think I can really insert myself into her either way (maybe I'm just not that imaginative?), so I would prefer the MC to have a predetermined personality that gets fleshed out and developed upon throughout the story. Self-insert MCs can work, but they are a lot harder to write, so given the short development time of this project, I think a predetermined personality may work better.
Makes sense, haha! x'D I'm honestly not very "imaginative" either; I always consider MCs a separate entity from myself, and even as I make choices for them, it's usually from a distanced perspective. However, I have read a few times that a few people prefer self inserts, so I wasn't completely sure which to go with! I've actually never tried writing a self-insert before LOL so I had no idea how much harder/easier it would be. Thanks for the input! :D
Once you have character sprites (or at least their drafts), those would be nice to see. You can also put up really short bios for your characters to introduce them.
I see, alright! I initially hesitated with the bio since I felt uncomfortable, idk, directly stating background/personality for Zena if both were potentially to be determined by the reader, but since she'll probably end up having a selected personality + history of her own now... sounds like it'll work out fairly well! 8') I'll definitely upload something within a few days tops.
That's about it? Good luck with your project! Looking forward to playing it once it's done.
Again, thanks so much for the words of support ♥♥ I hope I don't disappoint you!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The Thousandth Day [ GxG | Fantasy | NaNo '16 ]

#8 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Just wanna say-- if you need exposition graphics and have ideas of what you want, hit me up! I'll be more than happy to come up with something for you!
Image Image

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#9 Post by Harliqueen »

- I never really mind prologues, though I know some people don't like them. I think it gives an instant sense of the character, that sometimes you need before the story even starts.

- I think it sounds great! :D I like the idea of a longer ending, might give a feeling of real closure to the story.

- I think it depends on how you can vary the character's personality. I tend to like to rename my characters differently if I plan to replay a game in a different way or different personality, so it feels like a slightly different character, if that makes any sense?

- I don't really mind. Whichever fits and makes the story better :D

I can't wait to find out more about this and to see the art. It sounds really amazing, and I'm excited to see the interactions between Zena and Bora :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#10 Post by Seigetsu »

Do you think I should incorporate choices into the endings as well (which would sometimes potentially branch out into mini scenes without changing the ending itself), or would that just feel pointless and forced?
I think this can be a good idea if you have time to spare, but not really necessary, per se. In a longer work with multiple routes, the choices along each route can give it depth and develop into different endings for that particular "obtainable" character. In a shorter work with a single route, though, the branching into mini scenes wouldn't do too much for the plot in itself, but can be fun to play through. Alternatively, you can just have all those mini scenes occur linearly throughout the plot that leads to the particular "ending". That would save the player time to replay the game just to get those extra scenes, and would give the ending more depth in a single playthrough.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#11 Post by runeraccoon »

First of all: Ooh.
Now please jump up and weep in joy for me.

Haha. Now that's out klsajglksjalgkjsg. I'm embarrassed to see my name up there. Like, really embarrassed. (But happy. But embarrassed klasjflkasf can u relate.)

> Blackscreen + NVL sounds awesome as a prologue of sorts. Would it show different POV than the whole game? Because different format = different feels.

> I want Zena's personality and history! I really want it. >< <3 I mean, story in novels/games for me works like some sort of escapism (though they reflect back to my lives... And awesome stories change me in that smallest way after I read them.) So, I'd really like to play their lives, know their choices, make different choices than I would be IRL. So yeah, personality + history FTW!

> Considering it's a short game, longer epilogue doesn't sound bad. I like getting thorough closure to my choices so yeah xD

> I think I'll leave Zena's name as it is

> SO SORRY FOR PROCRASTINATING this is the third day I've gone to that manga rental place, good thing I have nothing left in my wallet now. So. Onwards to work! :"">

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#12 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Even a single-word comment like "ooh" will make me jump up and weep in joy
Oooh and Ahh.
Don't particularly like them. I'd rather jump straight into the action.
Wouldn't worry me as long as I'm being entertained.
Doesn't matter.
I'm not interested in self-inserting but having options for choosing a personality type I found really fun in one demo I played, although that would be time consuming and probably not a nano project. So predetermined.

Good luck with it.

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#13 Post by killdream »

> How would you feel about a prologue that introduces Zena's background?
It depends on how it's done. A prologue that introduces the background of a character, even if it's just NVL-text-on-black, can be interesting if it chains well into the actual story. I ~tend~ to just go for flashbacks and put them throughout the story, but I could see it working both ways.

> How do you feel about longer "endings" that take up 10-30% of a given playthrough?
I'm pretty okay with that.

> Would you like the option to name the protagonist?
Naming characters in visual novels never seemed like an important thing to me.

> Would you prefer a self-insert MC or an MC with a predetermined personality?
A predetermined personality. It just doesn't feel like self-insert MCs work in general, to me.

Kumiho
Regular

#14 Post by Kumiho »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Just wanna say-- if you need exposition graphics and have ideas of what you want, hit me up! I'll be more than happy to come up with something for you!
OH MY GOSH THAT WOULD BE SO AMAZING 8'D. At this moment, there's still a fair chance that I'll just scrap the prologue, so I don't think that'll be necessary, but I'll definitely return and pester you if I end up incorporating one after all. Thanks so much for the offer <3 Your VN ideas are all so amazing and your art style is both so varied and gorgeous while your writing (based on prev screenshots, anyway) are so poignant that it's ridiculous.
Harliqueen wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement and suggestions! And yeah, I get what you mean with the character names. I always just go with the default name / whatever name I chose on first playthrough because I'm lazy and suck at coming up with new names LOL but it does feel awkward when the same girl with the same name is romancing all dem prettyboys and doing a 180* on her personality without even batting an eye. I'm excited to write the interactions! 8'D
Seigetsu wrote:
Hmm, I see! That makes sense, and in retrospect, I definitely do agree that given the time constraints, having fewer scenes for the sake of arbitrarily adding interactivity would just make the VN seem brief to the point that the conclusions may just seem somewhat ridiculous. Thanks for your input <3 and I think I'll be going with the latter option, then, of having all the scenes occur linearly.
fuicchi wrote:
I'M WEEPING AND JUMPING JUST4U. And I can totally relate omg ;u; BUT YOUR ART IS BEAUTIFUL AND ALL COMPLIMENTS/MENTIONS ARE JUSTIFIED SO. You have no reason to feel embarrassed 8'D And aaaah, alright! I'll definitely keep the personality & background predetermined and solid, then. They won't be anything impressive, but at least they'll be present ;u; And hahaha don't worry! I've been procrastinating a ton as well x'DDD AND MANGA RENTAL PLACES ARE TOTALLY WORTH ALL OUR NONEXISTENT MONEY TIME SO. completely justified. Thanks for the comment omg <3 AND I'LL TRY MY BEST NOT TO FAIL YOUR ART.
lesleigh63 wrote:
Oh my gosh, thanks so much for the comment + input! 8') And whoot, another vote for a predetermined personality for Zena!
killdream wrote:
Yay! Thanks for commenting on kday<3 And I see, that makes sense! :') I'll see how well I can blend the prologue into the story & prevent it from becoming overkill/annoying/ridiculous. Predetermined personality it is!
All the oohs

Art cred: caelem
I'M SORRY I'M IMMATURE AND EASILY BORED OKAY

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Ghost of Crux »

AHAHAH IM GLAD YOU LIKE MY STUFFS. But that offer still stands no matter what project you're working on so there's that! Good luck, and you better finish this!
Image Image