Background Artist for Hire [Closed]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
byzantiumCrasher
Deviantart: byzantiumCrasher

Background Artist for Hire [Closed]

#1 Post by byzantiumCrasher »

Hey LSF community!
My name is Ham <3 I am a background artist (obviously). I am somewhat new to the community here, but I love visual novels and hope I can help people with making their own :) I have attached a few examples of my work; I usually charge around $45 (depending on complexity). I use a combination of photo-editing and hand drawing in order to achieve the desired effect.
A grand ballroom. <br />Photo Credit: Adobe Stock
A grand ballroom.
Photo Credit: Adobe Stock
A modern street<br />Photo Credit: https://pixabay.com/en/urban-city-road-street-cobblestone-731498/
A modern street
Photo Credit: https://pixabay.com/en/urban-city-road-street-cobblestone-731498/
I am quite proud of this one, though this is an example of a more complex job as it is a compilation of several photographs.<br />Photo Credit: Adobe Stock, Pixabay, and Wikipedia Commons
I am quite proud of this one, though this is an example of a more complex job as it is a compilation of several photographs.
Photo Credit: Adobe Stock, Pixabay, and Wikipedia Commons
If you are interested in hiring me feel free to contact me here or at my email: mm.pictureperfect@gmail.com
Hope to here from you :D
Ham <3
Last edited by byzantiumCrasher on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tracy Bullet
Regular

Re: Background Artist for Hire

#2 Post by Tracy Bullet »

These are drop dead gorgeous

byzantiumCrasher

#3 Post by byzantiumCrasher »

Tracy Bullet wrote:These are drop dead gorgeous
Awe thanks <3

Lodratio
Regular
Projects: S P H I N X

#4 Post by Lodratio »

Taking other peoples photos, fiddling with the contrast and saturation levels and adding a liquify/oilpainting effect does not make something your original work, and sure as hell doesn't give you the right to sell it.
http://alexanderhuebner.deviantart.com/ ... -321937399
http://alexanderhuebner.deviantart.com/ ... -523856342

Jiro Horikoshi
Regular

#5 Post by Jiro Horikoshi »

B-b-but I didn't know!! And as long as he doesn't notice it's okay! What's wrong with trying to get cheap money with very little work anyway? It's not like I'm the only one who does it.

byzantiumCrasher

#6 Post by byzantiumCrasher »

Firstly, let me say, I did know. It is 100% my own fault. I downloaded a bunch of stock images off of deviantart and forgot to label them correctly, so I didn't know where to link to. Secondly, there is more than a few value tweaks to each image. I spend at least an hour on each one. The first one and second ones were made when I was still figuring out my style, I made no financial gain of off either. I work hard on each and every image, especially when a client gives me clear picture of what they want. Lastly I would like to thank you Lodratio for putting those links there as it allows me to credit the creator of the stock. When I am getting paid for a project I typically purchase my stock from sites like Adobe Stock. Unless I read on the Stock creators page the they are okay with me using it for commercial use. I never want to abuse other artists for my own personal gain.

Camy
Regular
Completed: When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten, Not Lost, A More Beautiful World, Beach Volley, and Here With You.
Projects: The Prince's Heart, Delphine's Discovery, A Vampire's Choice, Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Connection Pending, and Our Final Moments.
Organization: Freelancer, Pixel Pineberry Studios
itch: camy
Discord: camyza

#7 Post by Camy »

That doesn't make you a background artist though. Background artist are those who draw/create them from scratch.

What you're doing is making edits to the original images. I suggest changing the title to "Photo Editor".

Ryuno
Regular
Completed: tuesday
Soundcloud: ryunocore

#8 Post by Ryuno »

If you're not drawing from scratch, you really need to make that clear to potential clients. To not do so is misleading and highly unethical even if the art license allows for it. If you're serious about taking commissions, I'd advise you to come back with a portfolio that reflects what you can do on your own.

byzantiumCrasher

#9 Post by byzantiumCrasher »

Camy wrote:That doesn't make you a background artist though. Background artist are those who draw/create them from scratch.
I am fairly certain the title background artist simply means I create backgrounds for visual novels. I thought I had mentioned in my original post that I use photo-manipulation to create these images, but since that wasn't clear I have changed it.
Ryuno wrote:If you're not drawing from scratch, you really need to make that clear to potential clients. To not do so is misleading and highly unethical even if the art license allows for it.
As per previously stated, I did think I had made it clear that my work is a combination of hand-drawn and photo-manipulation, but as it was not, I have amended my original post to make it clearer. I apologize for any confusion about how I create my work.

Camy
Regular
Completed: When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten, Not Lost, A More Beautiful World, Beach Volley, and Here With You.
Projects: The Prince's Heart, Delphine's Discovery, A Vampire's Choice, Phantom of the Blooming Rose, Connection Pending, and Our Final Moments.
Organization: Freelancer, Pixel Pineberry Studios
itch: camy
Discord: camyza

#10 Post by Camy »

byzantiumCrasher wrote:
Camy wrote:That doesn't make you a background artist though. Background artist are those who draw/create them from scratch.
I am fairly certain the title background artist simply means I create backgrounds for visual novels. I thought I had mentioned in my original post that I use photo-manipulation to create these images, but since that wasn't clear I have changed it.
You are not using photo-manipulation in the first picture. You just fiddled with the image with brightness, contrast, and color, and that is known as Photo Editing.

Edit: I also just checked the stock provider and they have this in their rules they don't allow "You are not allowed to just change minor things like color values and upload it as your own."

byzantiumCrasher

#11 Post by byzantiumCrasher »

Camy wrote:You are not using photo-manipulation in the first picture. You just fiddled with the image with brightness, contrast, and color, and that is known as Photo Editing.
While I most certainly did more than fiddle with a few settings, I have decided to take the image down, as I don't want to offend anyone or have any misconceptions about my art. I have also added all of the places I got the stock for the other backgrounds. I hope that you are satisfied with this change, and once again apologies for any misunderstandings.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#12 Post by Taleweaver »

A few words from me:

First of all, editing other people's photos and then selling the result as your own art is not forbidden per se as long as the photos in question are either in the public domain or under a public license that allows derivative commercial use. Please do not bash people publicly for doing things that are both perfectly legal and may be a help for some of us creators.

Secondly, this: If we get one - just one - complaint from the creator of any copyrighted piece of artwork that someone else illegaly used their creation to make a quick buck by offering modified versions here, we're taking that offer down. If we find someone doing that more than on one occasion, it can result in a permaban for said offender.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

byzantiumCrasher

Re: Background Artist for Hire [Closed]

#13 Post by byzantiumCrasher »

I will now be working a full time job, so I am closing commissions for now :)
-Ham<3