Simple As Snow (NaNoRenO 2016) COMPLETE!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Simple As Snow (NaNoRenO 2016) COMPLETE!

#1 Post by wyverngem »

Simple As Snow
A person's heart's warmth. The very spirit that keeps them alive and strong, especially in cursed frozen tundras. Some say you can sell it to gain power, while others believe it is it's own power. Either way, it did not change the fact that Aginiri sold her heart's warmth to a demon for the use of magick.
COMPLETE: Download here!
Synopsis
Simple as Snow is a kinetic visual novel about a caster named Lysa who is caught up in the middle of a sorceress scheme to steal the heart of a young king. If only it were about love and not the sorceress’ sick plot to literally take his heart.

Main Characters
Ágirni A legend. She sold her heart's warmth to a demon for the use of magick. The sorceress ever tormented by the loss of her heart's warmth, she's sought others' to replace hers countless times. The lowly stable hand, a set of twins lost in her forest, and even noblemen who've wandered too far from their estate. It did not matter who, even a wolf from time to time when she was desperate. The old wraith ever hungry to warm her frozen heart.

Lysa She has known her fair share of hardships growing up in a cursed frozen tundra. Living above the northern border where Aginiri's spell backfired all those years ago, Lysa's never known a spring nor seen a flower blossom. Vital to her community she wasn't permitted to leave the north because she was born infused with mana that allowed her a rare ability to create warmth. She has lost loved ones to the cold and been abused for her ability to produce heat. When she interferes with a sorceress' plan to steal the heart of a young king she's finds herself not only trying to save the king's life, but the lives of her sister's as well.

The King Taught to be strong from a young age and with a good heart, he was a prince until recently when his father was murdered by a sorceress in front of the court. He and his two sentinels have been fleeing ever since seeking refuge from the sorceress who plans to steal his heart.

Eyrir born three daughters with his wife before her death. He has always been soft on his daughters though is a firm and fair leader. Lysa he worries about a little more, because of her abilities as a caster. He worries because he sees his wife in her; headstrong and always wandering. He hopes that if she settles down soon she won’t wish to leave them. Partly because of her being his, but also because her abilities allow their community to stay here.

Jaeson came to the fort when Lysa's powers first started to develop. He's always been a stern teacher with her. If they're not defending the town, Lysa and Jaeson will often sprout arguments within minutes of being around one another. Jaeson disagrees with how she pushes herself. He's lived with them for years and in that time he hasn't appeared to age. It must be the caster in him.

Una is Lysa's older sister and since their mother's passing has acted more like a second mother to Lysa and their youngest sister Agnan. She's very well loved by those around her. She was recently married and is on her honeymoon.

Agnan is the youngest sister of Lysa and Una. Immature and young she has anxiety issues about losing her family. She's the trouble maker and often speaks her mind. She likes to be babied and doesn't really get along with those her age.

Bjorn a large hound of Lysa she's had since he was a puppy. The small dog quickly grew into a large beast that can scar any seasoned knight. Though he's hard to handle by others, he's a big puppy dog when it comes to his Lysa.

Screenshots
Game Title
Screenshot from opening scene.
Background painted art style.
Notes
The game is set up as being told the story by one narrator. There is only one save file that the player can choose to load or restart the telling of the story when they start the game:
"You've returned, shall we continue the story?"
The player would have the choice of "yes" or "no".
The novel is currently over 14,000 words and being refined. There is one ending to the story. There are choices in game, however they are meant to be optional and give insight on what's going on.

There will be an ending CG done by the artist bana and painted backgrounds that I have done myself. There will be plenty of audio effects and visual for the nvl style of the game.

Please look forward to it. Updates can be found at tumblr casting-dreams.
Last edited by wyverngem on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Mandy
Regular

Re: Simple As Snow (NaNoRenO 2016)

#2 Post by Mandy »

This looks beautiful! The story sounds really intriguing too.
I like the idea of heart warmth being stolen from people's hearts.
I'd love to read this once it is finished.

I wish you all the luck with your project! ^w^

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by wyverngem »

Mandy wrote:This looks beautiful! The story sounds really intriguing too.
I like the idea of heart warmth being stolen from people's hearts.
I'd love to read this once it is finished.

I wish you all the luck with your project! ^w^
^_^ Thanks so much Mandy! :) Today we drafted a few backgrounds and added two more songs to the game. We'll have screenshots of the changes sometime tomorrow.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#4 Post by Ghost of Crux »

This looks really interesting, and I love the previews so far! The only thing I'm not really certain about is the font-- for the dialogue and narration, that seems really hard to read. It's almost impossible to without a lot of effort. Other than that, this looks really good.

I'd love to see progress!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by wyverngem »

^_^ Thanks! I've been thinking of a different font for the main text, but keep it for the names. I do like the font, but I can see how it can be harder to read. I've been looking into a few options for it, and I'll post some samples after I get the next background completed. As for progress 5 out of 12 backgrounds are done!

5/12 background: The bedroom where Lysa cares for the king after rescue him from the beach.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#6 Post by Harliqueen »

The premise for this sounds seriously interesting! And the art is beautiful :)

Good luck with NaNo, can't wait to find out more about this!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by wyverngem »

^^ Thank you. I'm really hoping to finish in time.

So I've finished another background today! Yay half-way through and we're half-way through the month. ^^; I need to pick up the pace. Anyways, I've decided to change the font, but I haven't decided which one. Which is easier to read from option 1 or option 2.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#8 Post by KittyKatStar »

I find option 1 easier to read.

Good luck with the nano! I really like the story premise.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

I think Option 1 is easier to read as well. c:

Mandy
Regular

#10 Post by Mandy »

I agree! Option 1 is the easiest to read. :)
And wow! What a beautiful background! <3

I'm looking forward to this. ^^

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by wyverngem »

Yeah, the more I look at it. Option 1 will work out for readability. I just have to make a few adjustments with it so it lines up on the screen. ^^; I noticed today that I was spelling my own character's name wrong here. XD The sorceress' name is Ágirni not Aginiri, silly typos!

Moving on! ^__^

Updates:
Biggest Issue right now is Music I came across a music file that I love in game and discovered that it wasn't a CC today... U-U really don't know how it ended up in the folder, but I've got to replace it now. You can hear it on here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6u5D-5LWSg Any suggestions on getting something similar to replace it? Since finding it, I went through my entire audio list to ensure there wasn't something I had overlooked.

Characters, to be honest I didn't plan on getting character sprites for the game. Character's aren't my strong point, but I do plan to have a cg for the ending. Here's the previews by bana for Lysa and the King.
Image Image
I really can't afford to put any money into this game, kind of homeless.
However, Lysa and the King are major characters so I felt I wanted them visual represented.
Backgrounds are going pretty smoothly. I have one more exterior background to plan out and then it's all interior. Ugh, I'm not looking forward to the interior. They're not my strong point, but I will try. ^_^ I did find some scary abandoned houses pictures that are pretty inspiring for the interior so they might not be too bad.

Also here's another sample for the dream. Just to give you guys an idea, I hand paint these myself. Last night I started about 9:00pm and finished it just before 1:00am. I'm really trying not to wear myself out.

Story editing needs to be finished up, shouldn't take more than an afternoon.

Sound Effects there are two sound effects that are currently in the game. After backgrounds I will make a list.

So that about covers it. My priority this week is to finish the backgrounds for the game. After I get that done I will move onto finishing and editing the remainder of the story. In that time I hope to have the end CG (that will be a surprise for you to play the game to see. ^^) The last week After the story comes the sound effects gathering. Then I'll just finish up with the remainder of the coding. If I have extra time I'll add some extras. :D

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#12 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Your backgrounds are looking nice (some pretty colour combinations).

Good luck with nano.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by wyverngem »

Thanks Lesleigh63! :) I actually have another to share. Finished it a few days agos, but was busy with the other backgrounds.

All right, so now what's left is the interior of the sorceress' home and Lysa's home. Had a death in the family so I haven't been able to paint for the past two days. I started the last exterior town late last night, but I'll try to finish that today or Sunday. So many things to do before next Thursday. Root for me, I feel like there's 5 paintings left, but there could be more. Depends on if I add another scene in Lysa's home. My background count was 12, but I think it's grown...I'll double check.

Mandy
Regular

#14 Post by Mandy »

You hand paint your backgrounds?! Wow, that's amazing! Such beautiful details too.
I like Lysa and the King's character designs! That's going to be one pretty CG. :)

Good luck with finishing your NaNo~! ^^

P.s: I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by wyverngem »

Thank you. It's been an interesting week. Still working on the town exterior. I somehow forgot that scene. Haven't had much time for anything else working on the backgrounds. Free tonight and tomorrow so I'll have updated then.