Should I make an otome?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
celinarose
Projects: Dire Love: Eaten Alive, The Prince's Choice, Signs of Illusion
Tumblr: acelinarose

Should I make an otome?

#1 Post by celinarose »

So I have played and loved otomes and VNs for a few years now, so I know how one typically goes. And, as you can probably tell by the title, I have an idea for an otome. It's based on one of the lesser known Grimms tales, and I have details and storyline planned out. But the problem is, I'll have to do everything myself. And I am known for being impatient, in general. I know I'll be able to handle the writing, as I'm used to writing almost entirely in dialogue. But for art, I usually draw on paper, and I have to transfer all my sprites by scanning them then outlining them, and so on. Also I'm a complete noob at programming, and I'll have to learn Python, to create this game. I was just reading the post about incomplete games, and it made me wonder, do you guys think this is feasible?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Should I make an otome?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

If you want to do it, do it!

If you don't finish it, it isn't a big deal...you'll still learn something and learning something is always good.

Some things to note:
-You don't have to put up a work in progress post. My project (which I am going to finish) will never be counted as an "unfinished" game, because I'm not going to put up thread until I know the thing is going through be done. I don't see myself putting up a work in progress thread at all. Though I may post in the playtesting thread after the alpha is done.

-If your game isn't that complex, you may not have to learn any Python, you may be able to do everything in Renpy. On the other hand, there are some great free and easy resources to learning basic Python I can recommend in PM. Also, you may not need to do it yourself if your first project is free. I am doing the coding for one and implementation/doctoring for another small free game. You may be able to find someone who would code for you for free.

-Similarly, if your game is small and free you may find someone to do some art for free.

If you are interested, why not try it?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#3 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Of course, go for it!

I'm working alone too. I'm new to programming and I create my sprites in the same manner as you do. I've been working on my VN for about 1.5 years and I'm still trucking along. A lot of factors come in when making a game (real life issues, motivation, resources), but if it's something you really want to do, don't delay! I think it's better to start on a project (whether online or offline) than to not start it at all.

If you feel that you need help, check out the Recruitment threads! There are a bunch of people who can give a hand with assets if you ever feel like you're struggling.

Honest Critique

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

celinarose wrote: I was just reading the post about incomplete games, and it made me wonder, do you guys think this is feasible?
Think carefully about the length and scope of your story. You *might* benefit by keeping your first story relatively small. For instance, include just three major characters, a small number of settings, and just a few possible endings. Once you complete creating a short visual novel, you might be more ready to create a more extensive project.
celinarose wrote: And I am known for being impatient, in general.
Have you experienced trouble setting aside time for writing? Is it easy to get distracted from writing when you are busy or stressed?

Have you lost interest in writing stories in the recent past? Also, have you struggled with perfectionism?

These are difficult questions to consider. Think about them before writing. I recommend that if you want to create a visual novel, first make sure that you are dedicated to your story. Write about characters, a plot, and a world which you find interesting enough that you will want to keep writing even when you need to deal with real world problems.
celinarose wrote: Also I'm a complete noob at programming, and I'll have to learn Python, to create this game.
If you have trouble writing with Ren'py, then consider some alternatives. The Novelty visual novel engine is no longer updated, but it's also free, and you can find relevant forum threads and tutorials. TyranoBuilder will cost you $15 US, but it has tutorials and customer support. You can also use an RPG Maker program as another option -- for instance, RPG Maker XP currently costs $25 US on Steam, and it's easy to find resources and programming advice.

dueceladouce
Regular

#5 Post by dueceladouce »

As someone who is in a near identical spot as you, the main issue I constantly come across isn't whether or not I can do it or if I should do it. Its a matter of how badly I want to do it. Making a VN, or heck even a kn is a ton of work, especially solo. If you're willing to put the time in to learn the ins and outs, then do it. Like trooper said, don't worry about finishing it (assuming there's no wip thread up), but focus on learning the basics and building experience. At least, that's what I'm doing. Take that as you will

Will work in exchange for fight game buddies.

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#6 Post by Ran08 »

I agree with everybody else on this thread. If you really want to make an otome, then why not just go for it? Lots of things happen in life, but the important thing is that you never give up, no matter what happens. Sure, some games never get completed, and some games take a ridiculously long time to complete. But... so what? :) That doesn't mean the same is gonna happen to you too. So what if your game gets delayed? You can always pick up where you left off, you know. I'm speaking from personal experience here, hahaha. Anyway, it's better to try and fail (I hope not!) than to not try at all. :)

Good luck! :D

celinarose
Projects: Dire Love: Eaten Alive, The Prince's Choice, Signs of Illusion
Tumblr: acelinarose

#7 Post by celinarose »

Thank you all!

Yolo400
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams
Projects: ----

#8 Post by Yolo400 »

Definitely do make one! :)

Fear is the mind killer.
Working on project "Lightning Cat" - Writing
music for sale
|| Thank you ||

Mashiro-chi
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Wolf & Red's Lovestory,Familiar & Love
Tumblr: nyahtome
Deviantart: Mashiro-chi

#9 Post by Mashiro-chi »

Yes, of course! Believe in yourself and your idea!

I also started my first VN(mine is also an otoge) couple month ago and I'm soloing everything even now(art,programming,bgs,writing,etc) And just like you I'm completely amateur at programming. Not only my writing skill are awful..> > my English skill are also quite poor... But still, I had a nice game idea and really wanted to do it even if I'm slow and a newbie.

It doesn't matter if the game takes year or two I'll definitely finish it.

So even if it's just a pure hobby,As long as you have motive and a clear goal. You can definitely do it!
Good luck!

Game dev blog:Tumblr

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#10 Post by MoonByte »

Make one!
I myself love Grimm's fairytales (ESPECIALLY those that non-germans rarely hear of like Blaubart, Allerleihrau, Die Hochzeit der Füchsin or Das Wasser des Lebens), so I am curious already, which story you wanna do :3

Since it's your first game, try to keep it small and simple, that way you're most likely to manage it alone (look at something like "Knife of the Traitor", it has only a few characters and some choices, but it still manages to be very interesting and challenging). You learn while doing (I had no idea about phyton when I started working with Ren'py, but it is a very user-friendly language once you get the basics to at least make pretty nice things with little experience) and once you finished your first and second small game, you usually are in the rythm to know what and how to do ;)
Also, you don't necessarily HAVE to do it alone. If you're not exactly strong on backgrounds or something, you can always ask for help here.

I wish you the best of luck, I look forward to it :)

Pinlin
Regular
Projects: Dark nights
Tumblr: darknightsblog
Deviantart: Pinlin

#11 Post by Pinlin »

Yes, go for it!

I started as a complete newbie in all fields. Just like you, I drew on paper and had never seen programming.
Currently, I'm working on my VN for 2 years. I couldn't imagine how much I had to learn, but looking back at it I have no regrets.
Persistence and dedication are the basic ingredients for your project. Other skills you learn along the way.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project: