Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB]

#1 Post by Impulse »

Demo is out! To download, follow this link -----> viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

Genre(s): Romance (GxB), comedy, slice of life, supernatural.
Type: Visual Novel.
Rating: 13+ because of suggestive and mature themes, foul language and crude humor.
Length: About 2 hours for one playthrough.
Number of Endings: 9.
Free: Yes!

Progress:

Story:
Prologue: 100%
Main story: 100%
Ayato's route: 98%
Hiroki's route: 10%
Naozumi's route: 10%
Endings: 10%

GUI:
Logo: 100%
Icon: 0%
Title screen: 100%
Preferences screen: 0%
Save/load screen: 0%
Dialogue and name box: 100%
Quick menu: 100%
Choice menu: 100%
Gallery: 40% (Not counting the actual photos)
Memory room (re-plays of endings and special memories): 50%

Sprites:
Ayato: 100%
Hiroki: Expressions 80%, poses 50%, clothes 50%
Naozumi: Expressions 80%, poses 50%, clothes 50%
Mayumi: 100%
Ami: 100%
Principal: 0%
Mr. Toshio: 0%
Unnamed student (girl): 100%
Unnamed student (boy): 0%
Unnamed man: 0%

Backgrounds: 100%

Music/Sounds: 70%

CGs: 14%

About the developer (me):

My name is Mari and I'm a 20 year old student from Sweden. I recently discovered Visual Novels and since I've always enjoyed writing stories I decided to make my own. Tears of Glass will therefore be my first VN and I'm making it with Renpy. As of now, all writing, sprites and CG is my own work, but I'm using free resources for backgrounds and music. I create the CG's and Sprites in SAI and GIMP on my computer (no tablet). I am also planning on painting some resources for the gallery using water colors (since one of the main characters is a painter and I don't want to use CG for his paintings).

Since I'm a student with a part-time job and not a lot of free time it may take a while for me to finish this, but I hope you can bear with me. For me it's more important that the finished novel holds great quality, than it being finished fast. English is not my first language, so the words may not be as academic as some may prefer, but at least the spelling and grammar mistakes will be at a minimum. Right now I don't know when the game will be released. As soon as I know I'll give you a deadline.

Story:

The story takes place in today's Japan. You'll be playing as Mayumi Akiyama, an 18 year old student who's just moved out from her parent's mansion into a small apartment in another town. She comes from a rich family where she was the only child - therefore she's been pampered and showered with gifts ever since she was little. However, Mayumi has never liked to be seen as "the rich and spoiled girl" and decided a few years ago she wanted to earn her own money, instead of living off of her parent's. She got a job at a local fast food joint and saved all her money until she was able to afford the small apartment. Her parent's are not very happy with her choice, but they accept it as long as she promises to call them every day (a promise Mayumi didn't expect them to take so seriously).

On the first day of school Mayumi meets three young men who will change her life forever - though she doesn't know it yet. She soon realizes something is different about these men. They give each other strange glances and seem to have a mutual secret between them - a secret Mayumi is not allowed to know. As time goes on Mayumi also realize how hard adulthood is, and she may even be falling for someone. But is it safe to chase this love?

Characters:

ImageImageImageImage

Name: Mayumi Akiyama (main character)
About her: Mayumi is the protagonist of the story. She's stubborn and strong willed, but often gets nervous when faced with a new situation. Mayumi comes from a rich family and have always been a good student, but sometimes her nerves or temper get the best of her and she doesn't always make the most rational decisions. Mayumi believes everyone deserves a chance and doesn't pay much attention to rumors. She has a strong sense of what's right and wrong, and she's not scared of voicing her opinion.

ImageImageImage

Name: Ami Yuukio
About her: Ami is well known in the school for being the Captain of the swimming club, as well as the only one who can beat Ayato in a swimming competition. She's nicknamed "the Journalist" because of her interest in gossip. If it's something you want to know about someone - then Ami's the one to turn to. Unsurprisingly, she can be a bit insensitive since she doesn't really respect other people's privacy and seem to think that other people's thoughts and feelings should be publicly known. Ami quickly find an interest in you and [whoever you're pursuing] and she's determined to play match-maker - even though you don't want her to. But despite her flaws, Ami is a great friend. She's honest and cheerful, and always stand up for the people she care about. She's also a great shoulder to cry on and as your friendship improves you'll realize there are some things she won't tell the world, if it's said to her in confidence

ImageImageImage

Name: Ayato Amane (pursuable).
About him: Ayato doesn't seem to be interested in you... that is, unless he's insulting you. He rarely smiles and doesn't seem to care much about anything except training - out of the three classes you take together he only ever shows up at PE. He's extremely athletic and competitive, and often found either by the football field or track field. Weirdly enough he still gets decent grades, but rumor has it he's re-done a year. He lives alone with Naozumi, who seems like his complete opposite, and another rumor says Naozumi is the one doing all of his homework. Ayato goes his own way and is not afraid to use harsh words or even violence to get what he wants. His eyes are empty and cold, but on rare occasions you may see a flicker of sadness in them.

Why did he transfer to this school two years ago? Why did he decide to make friends with Naozumi and Hiroki, but no one else? How come he always seem to disappear whenever you ask about his past?

Name: Naozumi Kuwahara (pursuable).
About him: A genius with high ambitions - Naozumi is rarely seen without a book in hand. From day one he's always shown kindness to you and you know that if you ever need someone to talk to he has time to listen. His timid nature and selfless approach makes him an easy target for bullies, but he's lucky to have at least one friend to stand up for him. He also strongly believe in karma and has an interest in the unexplainable. Naozumi is gentle and shy - at first glance the mere definition of innocence, but for some reason you get the feeling he's hiding something from his past. Guilt is hidden in his eyes and he always look away when you ask him about his family.

What happened to his older brother? Why is he so afraid of failure? Why does he always steer the conversation away from himself?

Name: Hiroki Kanemoto (pursuable).
About him: Hiroki is positive, flirty and full of energy. He means well, but he's also clumsy, impatient and extremely unlucky - which seems to be the reason for his piling detentions and visits to the Principals office. He's bad at most school related things, but the ladies love him and he has a passion for painting. Hiroki can sometimes come off as insensitive or over confident, his jokes are often a little on the far side and he's not the best at apologies, but it's clear he has a kind heart.

Why does he live with foster parents? What is it that he's so obviously lying about? Why is he so afraid of commitment?

Screenshots:
(Click to expand)

Image ImageImageImage Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image

- Hall, track field, school front, football field and classroom BG by Uncle Mugen (http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 71#p226871)
- Cafeteria BG by ぐったりにゃんこ (http://guttari8.sakura.ne.jp/index.shtml).
- Lockers BG by Kimagure (http://k-after.at.webry.info/200812/article_1.html)

CG samples and GUI:
(Click to expand)

ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Impulse on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 40 times in total.
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

Oh, it's not in the NaNoRenO WIP forum! OAO
That being said, looking good with the emotions showed in the sprites~ Please keep updating!

Extra: Which part of the quality you definitely want to polish before the release? Story? Art? GUI? Something else entirely? :>

Impulse
Regular

#3 Post by Impulse »

@fuicchi
No, I don't want to rush it, therefore I choose not to have it in NaNoRenO. As you can see some emotions are lacking from the sprites. I need to add some more to Ayato and add an "angry face" to Hiroki for example :). All guys will probably have around 5-6 emotions in the end (excluding blush). I'll be sure to update it when I finish them (though it might take some days or a week since my main focus is the story ATM).

Of course I want everything to have great quality, but I'm probably gonna spend the most time polishing the story/script to make sure there are no plot holes, everyone's in character and so on. I want to have a lot of choices and multiple endings as well, so a lot of time need to be spent to make sure I don't mix anything up. :)
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523

Impulse
Regular

Dialogue box

#4 Post by Impulse »

Hello! I just wanted to say that I've just finished making and coding the dialogue box. I also changed the font and moved the quick menu (did that take a lot of time or not???) to fit with the design. I think it looks great, but when there's a lot of text in the box, it moves a bit and the quick menu doesn't fit as well anymore. This is how it looks right now:

I would love to hear your opinions about what you think of it :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

I like the text box ^_^ It's simple, but I've never thought the text box was the most important part of a visual novel anyway. c: And the flowers look nice!

I'm really interested to see what those three are hiding. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread! c:

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#6 Post by infel »

This is a nice looking otome game. I'm wondering what makes it supernatural, so that's an interesting point. The art is also pretty nice to. If I had to pick who I like the most it's Ayato. I've always had a thing for guys like him in otome games XD. Anyway I wish you the best of luck with your first game and am looking forward to playing it when it comes out =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

Impulse
Regular

#7 Post by Impulse »

Zelan wrote:I like the text box ^_^ It's simple, but I've never thought the text box was the most important part of a visual novel anyway. c: And the flowers look nice!

I'm really interested to see what those three are hiding. I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread! c:
Thank you. It turned out better than I thought it would so I'm happy you like the result as much as I do. They each have their own secret that'll be revealed if you choose their route, but they also have a common one:). I'm working on this game almost every day so just be patient. It's moving forward.
infel wrote:This is a nice looking otome game. I'm wondering what makes it supernatural, so that's an interesting point. The art is also pretty nice to. If I had to pick who I like the most it's Ayato. I've always had a thing for guys like him in otome games XD. Anyway I wish you the best of luck with your first game and am looking forward to playing it when it comes out =).
Thank you. I want the supernatural part to be a somewhat surprise, so I won't say too much about it. It will all be revealed when you read the story. Ayato is my favorite as well, which is why I'm writing his route first. When I finish his route I'll probably post a demo where you can play it so you have something to do as you wait for the other two routes to finish :). I'll keep updating as I go.

Impulse
Regular

New CG of Ayato!

#8 Post by Impulse »

Hello everyone!

I just finished a CG of Ayato that shows him running on the school track field. I'm still learning all the basis of shading and creating texture, but this is what I made. I hope you like it (I do), and now I'm gonna go write some more on the story. I find myself altering between writing the story and creating art/GUI as I go, but I think that's a good thing. That way it feels like a lot less work, and I'm able to work on something everyday without getting bored. Anyways, here's the new CG:

PS. I won't post all CG's that I make because I wouldn't want you to have seen them all before even playing the game. This is the second one I'll show. I might show one or two more, but the rest will be up to you to find on your own! :D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Zelan »

I like the little detail of the sweat on his neck and shoulder ^_^ Nice work!

Impulse
Regular

Ami

#10 Post by Impulse »

Introducing Ami!

Edit: Made her shoulders smaller.

Ami is cute and friendly. She's Captain of the swimming club so most students know who she is. Ami loves to gossip and quickly find an interest in you and [whoever you're pursuing]. She's determined to play match-maker for you, even though you don't want it, and she often embarrass you in the process. Ami's hard to love, but impossible to hate, and you soon become good friends. The two of you have PE, French and Psychology together.

How she looks in game next to the guys:

What do you think of Ami? This is the only expression I have for her ATM, but I will soon add more. She will not be pursuable (as of yet, anyway), but she will be an important character for the story. Someone who'll supply you with all the juicy gossip of the school and the guys, but also someone to turn to when you need a girls help. I will add a backstory to her as well that you can find out throughout the story.

Do you think I should change anything about her? What do you think of her personality and appearance? Please let me know. :)
Last edited by Impulse on Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Zelan »

Oh, she's adorable! I love her hair; the tips fading to orange are a nice touch. I think her personality is cool as well; I'm thinking you'll be writing her as someone who's kind of annoying but won't leave you alone?

Impulse
Regular

#12 Post by Impulse »

@Zelan
Thank you. I just learned how to make the color fade and I thought it looked good. Yeah, she's supposed to be someone who gives you a good first impression, but then gets a little too obsessed with your love life. She can be annoying sometimes, but she's still a good friend. :)

Impulse
Regular

Mayumi

#13 Post by Impulse »

Hello! I just wanted to say that I finally have a face for Mayumi! You didn't think the main character would be invisible, did you? ^^

This is how she looks like with her "normal" expression:

And how her side image looks in game:

(It's a little blurry for some reason, but that's not how it looks when you play the game)

I will be making a second outfit (and maybe a third) for her as well. Hopefully I'll be able to do that for all the characters, but we'll see. :)

Psst, I may or may not be working on a second outfit for Ayato right now...

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Zelan »

Oh, she's cute. <3 I love her hair, too - she seems like a really cool main character. ^_^ She reminds me a bit of some of my friends.

Impulse
Regular

#15 Post by Impulse »

@Zelan

Thank you so much. I love her hair too. I've always wanted blue and black hair myself so that's why I gave her that ^^. Your friends are probably awesome so I'm happy she reminds you of them :)