Lesser Known Titles?

For the rest of your otaku life.
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Re: Lesser Known Titles?

#16 Post by TsukiShima »

Not an anime, but pretty much an unpopular manga by SORANO Kairi's Mother Keeper.
The author is pretty known for Chrono Crusades.

I haven't follow it myself for a long time now (due to the lack of translation updates), but I still like this manga, and has some of its own loyal fans. It's interesting in its own way, and a wonderful concept for a Sci-fi and shonen genre. What interest me with this manga is the characters, the mysteries each of them carry.

I'm not sure about the actual manga, but the translation ver. is still on-going.

Armee
Veteran

#17 Post by Armee »

Oresama Teacher - Kurosaki Mafuyu was a juvenile delinquent and head of her gang before her subsequent arrest got her expelled from high school. Now that she’s transferred to a new high school, she’s determined to become an “ultra-shiny, super feminine high-school student.” But with a new friend like Hayasaka-kun and a homeroom teacher like Saeki Takaomi (who may be more than he seems), will Mafuyu really be able to live a girly-girl high-school life!?
Baccano! - "Baccano", which Narita translates as "stupid commotion", is Italian for "ruckus". Each of the stories in the series involves several unrelated plots intersecting and crossing each other as events spiral farther and farther out of control. Immortal alchemists, mafia operated speakeasies, and many other elements of pulp fiction mashed together for a world straight out of the movies.

It all started 300 years ago on a boat where the alchemists summoned the "demon" in order to obtain the method of immortality. The demon gave the alchemist the liquor of immortality, the only way to die is to pass down the way to produce the liquor.

But the following night, one of the alchemist started to devour his companions. To escape the threat, the alchemists scattered all over the world. In America during the temperance movement, centering around the liquor of immortality, the "stupid commotion" starts!

AngelicReckoning
Projects: Shining Light

#18 Post by AngelicReckoning »

Munto TV is one of the seeming lesser known anime that I know of. But, it was beautiful. Fair warning, the ending is a bit underwhelming for one little point, but the rest of it is great. I would recommend watching it all. There are two OVA's and if I remember right, 9 episodes. It's about a girl who is the only one who can see an island in the sky and there's a race that dwells above the earth.

King of Thorn is both an anime and manga. Definitely a bit of a horror one, but it keeps you on your toes until the end. There is a fast spreading virus infecting people, dubbed the Medusa virus, because when the virus reaches maturity, the person turns into stone.
deviantart: link

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Lishy »

Gunsmith Cats (Manga + OVA) is amazing. Really funny, sexy, and lots of action! What's not to like?
-

Plotline_Progenitor
Regular
Completed: Valerie's rest: Scripts and dreams, Countdown to Silence
Projects: Geas Institute, Adventuring enterprises

#20 Post by Plotline_Progenitor »

I don't really know what is and isn't well known, but if I were to guess some titles off the top of my head because I haven't heard other people talk of them then I'd say "One week friends" (It was released quite a while ago now and people might have forgotten it) and maybe "Poor sister story" (but only if you like really idyllically over-sweetened happy shows)

That said I don't necessarily know if the stuff I like is what other people would like

But I mean I wasn't able to find them on TvTropes' "Sliding scale of Anime obscurity" so I guess they classify for obscurity enough for this thread? (But I don't know how comprehensive or up to date that's supposed to be) which I thought it would be relevant to what you're talking about, maybe you could just look into the rare listings on that?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... eObscurity

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#21 Post by Fox Lee »

Mahou Tsukai Tai was an anime I really loved, but I barely saw any fanart for it or anything. I made an Aburatsubo KiSS doll one time, but that's the most involved fan work I ever saw for it, in my limited English-web-only field ^_^;

Bakuretsu Hunter/Sorceror Hunters is a horrible anime, but I adore the manga it's based on. It's super pervy, but refreshingly egalitarian about its perviness - like, there's a ton of male-character fanservice too, as well as a decent variety between the women, and some rare characters who are openly, forwardly, deliberately bisexual. Also it's crammed with woman-on-top BDSM imagery, which is 100% my jam ¬.¬;
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Geistbas
Regular
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagory
Deviantart: Geistbas

#22 Post by Geistbas »

I didn't really watch much, but a really interesting and beautiful series was "Ie Naki Ko Remi", either known as Homeless Girl Remi or Remi - Nobody's Girl.

It's based on a French novel, and animated by Nippon Animation.

Then again, I am not sure how well it is known, so I apologize if it's more known than I thought.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#23 Post by Ghost #9 »

The first one that comes to mind for me is a manga series I read straight through upon discovery. It's hilarious, charming, and somehow doesn't lose its appeal despite the main focus being a running gag that continues throughout the entire series.

Angel Densetsu. It's about a high school student named Kitano who is the gentlest and most naive person you could ever meet, but his appearance is frightening and delinquent-like. A series of mishaps and misunderstandings leads to his whole school district believing he's the toughest fighter at his particular school, and he's always getting challenged by various people. He even ends up with a dedicated following of people who somehow don't realize that he's just completely confused about all these goings on.

Laluune
Regular

#24 Post by Laluune »

It's hard to determine whether something was main stream really...

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, remake of the original, though i never found anyone who liked it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrATMdEsr1I

Steel Angel Kurumi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP952hPjxfw (i'm sharing because it's just so darn cute)

Princess Tutu and Slayers, though Slayers was clearly popular I never knew anyone that had watched it.

Anything by Ikeumi Ryo, her work needs to be translated to English stat! (so I can purchase it all, dah)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#25 Post by SundownKid »

The most obscure anime that I've probably watched and enjoyed was a series based on the Zone of the Enders video games called ZOE: Dolores.

Its plot basically revolves around a space trucker who has to protect a giant hyper advanced mech from military forces who want to seize it... with the caveat that the AI of the mech (and to that extent, the mech itself) acts like a somewhat goofy young woman. (Although if she loses control she is liable to go into full battle mode and start killing everyone).

VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

#26 Post by VimislikArt »

The most obscure anime I watched was probably Shôjo tsubaki: Chika gentô gekiga(but called "Midori" in the West), by Hiroshi Harada. It was the precursor to the whole "guro" art thing that's all over the internet (NSFW, but Eli Roth style NSFW, not "Cinemax after Dark" NSFW). The creation and distribution of the movie is a pretty spectacular story, but the movie itself is the worst combination of "WHAT AM I WATCHING?!" and "This is sort of boring." It's the weirdest mix of time saving animation techniques, painted stills, and elaborate animation sequences I've seen.

For obscure manga, I recommend National Quiz! I found it back in the glorious days of Kazaa and Direct Connect, and it was one of the more unique manga I've read. It's Battle Royale, but instead of kids fighting to the death, it's a quiz show! "This is the story of K-i K-ichi (aka prisoner KK47331), a former actor-turned losing National Quiz contestant-turned wildly popular host of the show, and the people and events surrounding him." It's only four volumes, but the art style is unique, it's a very interesting premise, and it's a great mix of comedy and tragedy.
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

#27 Post by hoihoisoi »

The one anime almost none of my friends seem to know about is Ghost Hunt. As the name suggests, it's about the supernatural and all that jazz. Personally, I really liked this anime and it gave me some pretty good if not terrifying memories when I was younger. Lol. XD
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

tamacitas
Regular

#28 Post by tamacitas »

no Kids on the Slope and Terror in Resonance, bbys? ;)

Kids on the Slope (Sakamichi no Apollon) - someone said that if you like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, then you'll like this one. a typical slice of life story, about friendship, love, and jazz. i have to admit that i LOOOOVE jazz SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH after watching this particular anime. the story is so simple that it gives me heart attack. it's so {i}beautiful{/i}.

Terror in Resonance (Zankyou no Terror) - do you like heavy-themed anime? this anime is really deep when it comes to the plot. although having much plot holes, i still love the complexity of the puzzles in this anime. those puzzles are really ones you'll never see before. the amount of mental war in this anime is too much to bear; there is also a meme regarding the episode. "why is there no episode 12?" and you'll feel this sensation of sadness after watching it.

Both are directed by Shinichirou Watanabe, and both anime share the same composer (Yoko Kanno).

Praeliumm
Projects: The Executioner's Judgement
Tumblr: praeliumm

#29 Post by Praeliumm »

One manga series I very much enjoyed (and would like to see how an anime adaption goes) is Itsuwaribito. An itsuwaribito is someone who is a master of lying, cheating, stealing, etc. and is generally someone bad. The main protagonist is a teenaged boy who does the opposite and helps people by lying. After some tragedies, he sets out to travel the world and expand his family

I haven't finished the series yet but from what I've read so far, I really like it!

Root13

#30 Post by Root13 »

Wow, so many movies. I got to make a list)