Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNo16][COMPLETED!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNo16][ZEL ART

#136 Post by Lesleigh63 »

And this is the throneroom lineart. It's basically symmetrical except for the curtain behind the thrones (which saves on a lot of time since I'll just be duplicting the painted elements).

The greyscale is shown in the mirror frame on the right, while the frame on the left has the colour wash over the greyscale (basically the greyscale shading shows through the color). I think I'll stick to the greyscale method - lets me deal with light and dark without having to consider colour values at the same time.

emeytroi
Completed: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=24451
Projects: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37800
Organization: Olfix
Tumblr: troilife
Deviantart: emeytroi

#137 Post by emeytroi »

This looks like such a cute, comedic retelling of prince charming! XD The character art is really gorgeous and the setting (like the gui and the backgrounds) is just great! Can't wait to see what this looks like when it's done! 8D
Finished Projects:
Work In Progress:
Nano '16 Work in Progress:

RumRat
Regular
Completed: The Dreamweaver
Tumblr: the-rat-prince
Deviantart: TheRatPrince

#138 Post by RumRat »

So I thought I'd finally give a proper comment and proper fanart, albeit late :")

I love the concept of this vn, the idea of the roles being reversed and the 'damsel' being the one to come to the rescue, for a change. I can't wait to see it finished and try it out. :D

As for a favorite character, I have absolutely no idea since I like all of the designs and descriptions so far. Charming's personality seems pretty comical so I might have a tiny bit more of a liking for her than the boys though. :)

And here you go, I colored it and stuffs.

Formerly ThePirate

The Dreamweaver(NaNo 2016)

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#139 Post by Windchimes »

@emeytroi:
Thank you very much for your kind words :D I'm sure the artists are thrilled to hear the compliments. Hopefully we won't disappoint with the final product! xD

@ThePirate:
Ahhhh! It looks so awesome :D Love how Charming is carrying him bridal style, and the sparkles around Charming xD It's absolutely amazing, thank you so much for taking the time to color it!
Glad to hear you like the sound of the project! Super happy that you like all the princes xD Charming has sure been a fun character to write, so I hope you'll find her fun to play as too!
Thank you once again for the awesome fanart and encouraging words!

Anyways, been a while since there's been an update, sorry! Most of the progress these few days has been writing-wise. Mer's route is now finished! First round of editing for Snow's route and 65% of Zel's route is done. Fixed up some GUI stuff and finished coding for gallery/music room. Annnnd biggest news of all: Snow's character art is now finished! I'll just post it here quickly in case anyone's curious. You can see the full body version on first post/tumblr!

greenacedesu

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNo16][SNOW AR

#140 Post by greenacedesu »

wow that is unexpected, I had thought that Snow will have black hair. :P
Nevertheless , really nice Snow design :)

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNo16][SNOW AR

#141 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Lesleigh63, background artist here...

Throneroom is complete.

Windchimes
Veteran

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNo16]NEW PROF

#142 Post by Windchimes »

@greenacedesu:
Haha, White was originally expected to have black hair since we were doing Snow White, but since we've changed the third prince to be Snow Queen instead, his color scheme became predominantly white and blue (with the whole ice/snow theme).
Thanks for commenting and for the compliment! I'm sure Elzee will be thrilled to hear it <:

Anyways, hey guys! Quick update!

New character profiles are done, now that the sprites of the main cast are finalized! I have updated the first post character descriptions to these profiles, but here they are again anyway:

Oh, now that all the princes’ art and background are finalized/revealed, who is your favorite? Vote here if you have the time, please! We’re curious to see the poll results: http://strawpoll.me/7196647

Will be posting weekly update tomorrow as usual! Keep an eye out if you're interested <3

emeytroi
Completed: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=24451
Projects: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37800
Organization: Olfix
Tumblr: troilife
Deviantart: emeytroi

#143 Post by emeytroi »

Oh my gosh you guys are so fast and you've been updating so much! ;u;
I love the art and the plot and everything for this is so beautiful okay bye.
Finished Projects:
Work In Progress:
Nano '16 Work in Progress:

DarkeAOU
Tumblr: TheSohiryDestiny
Deviantart: DarkeAOU

#144 Post by DarkeAOU »

1. Any thoughts or comments about the story premise so far?
Genderbent fairy tale retellings are fun and interesting depending on how you do it, so I'm definitely curious how it's going to turn out.

2. Who is your favorite character at the moment?
I don't have one. Each of the characters have their own good points, so it's hard for me to pick a favorite. (Also I dislike the idea of picking favorites on principal.)

If I had to say, I like Prince Zel's design best (but I like long hair on guys)--though, as I mentioned to my mother, his hair doesn't look nearly long enough to climb. Secondly, I think that Prince Mer's personality and backstory sounds the most interesting (and I have predictions on what went on there, but I'm probably way off base). But I remain fixated on Prince Snow because he is just that awesome.

3. Which love interest do you think you will pursue first?
SNOW. I basically grew up watching Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre, and the Snow Queen was tied alongside the Twelve Dancing Princesses for my favorite fairy tale of all time. Which is also probably why I'm so conflicted about Prince Snow's character. While I love the story he's based on, I have major difficulties trying to reconcile the cool-but-fair Snow Queen with the Prince Snow you've created.

4. Would you be interested in the future expansion (that will have 2 new routes, as well as a lot more scenes for the current 3 routes)?
No question. I'm definitely curious who you're going to include. (Personally, I'd be interested in a well-meaning character whose plans always backfire, who Charming has to rescue and fix things for--but I've got no idea who that would end up being.)

...putting in a request now for more scenes with Snow showing what a good ruler he could be in the extended cut... :lol:

5. Any other comments or questions?
One of the problems I always saw with fairy tale crossovers-slash-retellings like this is that I always feel like it's necessary to include all of the characters in these stories. Which is likely why I'm mildly curious where exactly Cinderella is while Charming runs off to seduce all of these men. Building a harem of his own, perhaps?

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#145 Post by try10 »

I don't know why I was expecting prince Snow to have black hair. White is a very good change. His sprite is so handsome! :D

Windchimes
Veteran

#146 Post by Windchimes »

@emeytroi:
Haha, thank you so much! :"D We're always so happy to hear encouraging, nice comments like this >< Hopefully we'll continue to make more progress and show more updates! :D

@DarkeAOU:
Thank you for your comment!
Firstly, we're happy to hear that you're interested in the project, or at least curious. xD

Secondly, to address some of your remarks/questions:

We're glad that you like Zel's design :D We're very fond of how Zel turned out as well. He's definitely very good-looking. As for the hair length... Zel's hair is not long enough to climb because we won't be adding that hair climbing thing in our game. While we will be basing our characters off fairy tale characters, we are not aiming to really follow the actual plots or details of the fairy tales. We will, of course, be including some of the more identifiable features of the fairy tale, e.g. Mer's muteness, Rapunzel's tower...etc, but we will actually be putting in our own twist for these fairy tales. We were careful to include just enough details and references to the original fairy tales so that readers/players will hopefully get the references and have a nice little chuckle, but the overarching plot of the routes will be pretty much 90% original. Which means we dropped a lot of the details from original fairy tales, especially those that seem strange to us, such as climbing up Rapunzel's hair. While this is a fairy tale setting, the game is still an otome/love story first and foremost, and at least the writers feel that climbing up a potential love interest's hair is... not exactly romantic and sounds rather painful and wrong. xD But yeah, just like how Frozen was based on "Snow Queen" but turned out almost entirely different, I imagine this may be the feeling our game could possibly give to some readers/lovers of fairy tales, though the degree of this feeling may vary from route to route. Hopefully players will still enjoy how the stories turn out!

The point about twist on fairy tales and most plot details being original actually is also answering your last question regarding Cinderella. While we are basing our characters off fairy tale characters, we are basically remaking them -- their gender, motives, personalities are very different. They're in a different universe, one created by us, that has distinct, different features and history compared to the universe in the original fairy tales. So we aren't worried about including all the characters from the original fairy tale. The way we see it is -- our universe is entirely different, and so are the characters and the stories. In the original fairy tale, Prince Charming held a ball and met Cinderella and married her. In our world, Prince Charming is a girl called Princess Charming, and she can fall in love with any of the three princes. There is no canon pairing. Which is exactly why we won't actually be doing a Cinderella prince/love interest because we don't want there to be a canon pairing that feels more "true" than the others, because every pair has their own unique dynamics and love stories and they fit together in different ways.

As for your comment on Snow -- I'm sorry you're not very thrilled of this Prince Snow. I understand that you may be expecting a cool-but-fair Snow Queen, but actually, as I think I might have mentioned before in a previous post, our game is entirely based on public domain, original fairy tales. While Snow Queen may be fair and a good person in Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre adaptation of the fairy tale, in the original fairy tale by Hans Anderson, Snow Queen is actually not quite that. Perhaps it's my interpretation of the Snow Queen from the original fairy tale, but the Snow Queen in that original version is quite an antagonist to me, what with kidnapping a little boy, making him forget about his family/friends, and giving him an almost impossible task with the puzzle as a condition to releasing him. Still, some of her actions may be justifiable. I imagine it must be a lonely existence, and while the kidnapping is horrible, I can somewhat see the reasons behind it. But regardless, Snow Queen to me is definitely not fair at all -- hence why Prince Snow used to be a selfish crown prince who barely cares for politics and royal duties. Of course, interpretations of characters may differ, but Prince Snow is based on my interpretation of Snow Queen from the Hans Anderson version of the fairy tale. So I really apologize for your disappointment, but since all the writing is basically finished, we are staying with this interpretation. ;; As for an extended cut with scenes of Snow as a good ruler... it's not a plan we have in our future for extra scenes for each character, at least not -serious- ones (we do want to do spin offs such as vampire Princess Charming as mentioned once), and since our scope for the full version of the project is already expected to be pretty huge, we most likely won't be able to make this happen. My apologies!

It's always interesting for us to hear feedback and what people think about our project, so we're grateful you took the time to write a detailed comment! :D

@try10:
Haha! Well, you weren't entirely off! White was supposed to have black hair -- the change to Snow Queen as the fairy tale base for his character turned him from having black hair to white hair to fit the snow/ice theme. xD Glad to hear you think he looks handsome! :D I'm sure Elzee will be thrilled to hear the compliment :"D
Thank you for commenting!
Last edited by Windchimes on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

RalphSenpai
Completed: Best Friends
Projects: Sweet and Spices (NaNo'16)
Organization: Pastelle Studios

#147 Post by RalphSenpai »

The Princes are handsome! Especially Princess Charming! :D Nice concept on the genderbent fairytale! Really looking forward to it! Hope the project is going smooth and nicely!
And as I said, I'm really looking forward to it! Have a best luck for NaNo! Your project really looks time-consuming! :D But I know you can survive!
Charming is so pink! (SO CUTE! <3)
Mer is so great in red!
Snow's outfit is so cool! (In cool, I mean COOL.)
Zel's hair is so long! 0_o
1. Any thoughts or comments about the story premise so far?
Retelling, is so mainstream. But you gave it a twist! XD

2. Who is your favorite character at the moment?
Charming. So cute! *U* That personality tho.

3. Which love interest do you think you will pursue first?
Snow and Mer? IDK! XD

4. Would you be interested in the future expansion (that will have 2 new routes, as well as a lot more scenes for the current 3 routes)?
YES, YES, YES.
5. Any other comments or questions?
Like I said, retellings are so mainstream, but you gave it a twist! Genderbent is so cool! Your concept? Your concept is so famous but rare at the same time! Snow's hair. IT'S A TWIST! I though his hair is black. (Wait, does he get along with animals in the forest? :D)
Really amazing concept! Best luck with NaNo! :D
BOOKS AND GAMES ARE LOVE!
Find our games here:

DarkeAOU
Tumblr: TheSohiryDestiny
Deviantart: DarkeAOU

#148 Post by DarkeAOU »

Just adding a few quick clarifying statements here:

I wouldn't say that I was disappointed in Prince Snow's personality so much as...marginally confused and conflicted? What I meant is that, in general, I'd expect a larger cast presence in the original story for a more popular character (and as far as I know, the Snow Queen only interacted with one person on-screen--but the story had a small cast to begin with). That isn't meant as a criticism on your take on him--it's just a minor glitch in my reasoning ability. Which could just as easily come from me writing a character based on the Snow Queen as the protagonist of my NaNoWriMo project last year--but he was fey and very much Not a Nice Person (but fair).
And considering that he's planned to be one of the Love Interests in a game I'm working on, I think it's just as well that our characters don't have much overlap.
And when I requested "more scenes with Snow showing leadership ability" it could mean a lot of things, and not all the entire focus of the scene? Observational skills, reasoning ability, diplomacy, all of that can fall under "leadership ability"--and given his popularity in your description, I already assume that Snow has these abilities, even if he doesn't quite put them on public display. I am just as pleased with subtle hints of these character traits as I would be were it a story where they were a major focal point.

As for my comment on Cinderella, I didn't intend that as a "hinthint" that he should "totally" be in the game. I would be equally or better pleased by a nod to the effect that Cinderella does exist in the world--but on a different continent, or in a different time, where he will not interact with this story, or influence it in any way outside of being one of billions of people in the world. I only included it as an extra, random thought, since additional thoughts were asked for, and was meant to be rhetorical.

...I need to figure out how to write short posts. Long and detailed is my default. :?

Windchimes
Veteran

#149 Post by Windchimes »

@RalphSenpai:
Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement! :D We're doing our best. Hopefully, we will be able to finish the project on time ;;
Glad to hear you like the art for the characters :"D They're all thanks to our amazing artist.
As for Snow, haha, I'm not sure if you missed the update, but Prince Snow is going to be based on Snow Queen from "The Snow Queen" instead of Snow White now xD So his hair is no longer black but white, and no he doesn't get along with animals in the forest. xD Sorry to disappoint!
Thank you once again for the comment! <3

@DarkeAOU:
Thank you for taking the time to comment again and clarify :"D I apologize if I misunderstood any of your previous statements. I was rather tired when I read your comment and replied, so I might have misinterpreted what you meant.
Well, firstly, glad to hear you aren't disappointed in Prince Snow's character. xD And about the larger cast presence thing, I actually didn't quite understand what you meant by that statement, so I might be completely off the mark with my reply. But using only Snow Queen and only slipping in somewhat references to the other characters from the original cast of the fairy tale is a conscious decision that is done in each route, not only Snow's. We want each route to feel like a mix of Charming x the prince, not just Charming as a new character in the prince's fairy tale, which we feel will happen if we include too many original characters from the fairy tale in the prince's route.
It's cool that you did a story on Snow Queen for your NaNoWriMo project and plan on using him as a love interest in a game! Interested to see how it turns out for you :D
For scenes showing Snow's leadership ability, sorry for the misunderstanding at first. It was stated in the profile for Snow that he does have certain skills that would be handy for a ruler, and I believe they have been hinted to a few times in the story, whether as part of Snow's background, or an explicit remark from a character, so hopefully that won't be too disappointing for you! But as for actual scenes of Snow being a ruler, I'm afraid they won't happen really in this version or in the extended version, or at least that's the preliminary idea, because of the planned outline and plot.
As for Cinderella, while I understand why you would be interested in seeing Cinderella exist in the same universe in the game, I'm afraid we most likely won't slip in this detail. I discussed with my writing partner, and we both agree that we want to keep canon pairings out of this game. I probably didn't explain it very well earlier when I was talking about how we won't include Cinderella as a prince/love interest, and no canon pairings, but actually what I meant is, if Cinderella even exists in this universe, it implies that Charming is supposed to end up with Cinderella because Charming x Cinderella = true love from the original fairy tale. This somewhat diminishes the love between Charming and any of the love interests/princess because, at least to us, it feels as though Charming just hasn't met her soul mate aka guy Cinderella, who is out there somewhere in the universe, just one of the billions of people. And that is a rather depressing thought as well. xD So we will most likely be keeping the second half of the canon pairing of all the characters out of the universe/game completely. My apologies!
No worries about long and detailed comments :D Like I said, we're extremely happy to hear any feedback anyone has, and the more details the better :"D Makes us happy that someone would care enough to write detailed feedback on our project, and it helps us reflect on what we can improve or change.
Thank you again for commenting!

greenacedesu

#150 Post by greenacedesu »

@greenacedesu:
Haha, White was originally expected to have black hair since we were doing Snow White, but since we've changed the third prince to be Snow Queen instead, his color scheme became predominantly white and blue (with the whole ice/snow theme).
Thanks for commenting and for the compliment! I'm sure Elzee will be thrilled to hear it <:
I see , I really like Elzee Character's designs :D

Regarding Cinderella, would it be nice if he is a character whom needs to be unlock after playing through the other 3 prince route? I think that would be interesting.
I could imagine that unlike Princess charming, who is blessed with magic to help people, Cinderella would be cursed with unwanted magic? (like fire magic that is uncontrollable and would touch everything ? since there is Cinder in the name "Cinderella" )
Well, it is just my silly suggestion , hope you don't mind .