(commercial) Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defense

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
applegirl
Veteran

Re: (commercial) Planet Stronghold: Colonial Defense

#16 Post by applegirl »

Woah, he's not going to be the same artist for Roger Steel is he? That would drop Roger Steel from a must get to a probable pass even though I love your RPGs...

But yeah, I think I could live with this theme song if the art was different for PSCD. It really is strange how much in the uncanny valley it is...

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#17 Post by jack_norton »

He was going to be, but after PSCD, I'm going to find another :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#18 Post by JBShields »

I like sci-fi, so I'm anxious to try this one out!

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#19 Post by JBShields »

Jack,

I have to weigh in. On steam since Feb 28th, it says that there has been NINETEEN visual novel tagged games released (that includes those that we on this forum may believe are mistagged). Not only that, but in March there were THREE free to play visual novels also released.

I plan to play yours soon. But I just wanted to say, with those kind of numbers, please don't feel disheartened.

On a personal note (and many here may disagree) I am happy that there is another VN outside of the usual anime style. While I like the anime style, I think the semi-realistic style denotes a more mature game.

I think there should be a Facebook group or something of all Visual Novel publishers. That way, they can inform the others on release dates to avoid flooding the market so bad. You just watch: I bet there will be a dry spell coming up. But with TyrannoBuilder, we may see more VN makers, but who knows?

If that is the case, the real problem will be demand for VN because few people have even heard of them before, which is a shame imo. That is why I like this community because folks work together and show their passion for VN.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by jack_norton »

No the reason was just the art. There has always been competition even before, and besides my game is not just a VN but has a very detailed card game. The main reason people didn't buy (as I expected) it's the art style, after comparing the result with past games and the recent C14 Dating, that's the only thing possible :)
Not a big problem, but I didn't think the art would have such an importance!
computer games

MilanaWalters
Regular

#21 Post by MilanaWalters »

Hmmm i am in the minority, but i really like the art. All this anime style gets tiresome, and i long for more western art so to speak. The characters look very handsome, and the faces are so detailed, just a marvel to look at. Though i agree the male protagonist looks a bit weird, i still like him though:P Some angry and laughing expressions are weird too, bu i guess artist can learn from their mistakes, its a pity you are not working with them anymore:(

I would have loved more CG scenes though, it appears only romance scenes has it? im not there yet, the game is very long(which is a very good thing!).I guess more effort was put into card mode, but im a VN lover:(

Very sad to see it didnt sell well, i would have loved to see more to this game, a sequel or something.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by jack_norton »

There's one CG each romance, plus 4-5 ending CGs romances (depending on your choices). It's actually the game with more CGs ever (of those I have made of course).
After some months I can't say that the game really didn't do well - was a long time since I last released a game and things really are bad now in indie market, so while it did worse than I hoped, it's on the average of what games do nowadays.
Unfortunately I will still not use this style again in games that involve romances :)
computer games

MichelleZB

#23 Post by MichelleZB »

You know what? I like the art style. I could totally get behind the look of all of these characters. I like Western-style art. I like the art in this game. And guess what? I also love sci-fi!

But people who want Western-style art are often looking for a good *story*. The reason why I wouldn't have downloaded this game is because it looks like stilted writing and endless stat-raising. I played the demo for Queen of Thieves and it was the same. I didn't mind having to play the RPG battles, but there were so *many*, and the "romance" scenes, which to me would be a reward, were... really dumb. All giggles and blushes and no meaningful moments.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by jack_norton »

If you play it in VN Mode (both games) you will only see the story without any stat raising.
As for writing, I guess depends on tastes, what you're looking for in a story. Queen Of Thieves in particular seems was quite appreciated overall since it's doing well :)
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by jack_norton »

Bumping this thread because I decided to update this game to also have optional manga art. You can instantly switch between the old style to the new manga style. All the main character and the romance CGs have been redone. The romance CG in particular now have full nudity if you choose the "uncensored version" :wink:
You can get the beta version from this link in my forums:
http://www.winterwolves.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4041
or if you have it on Steam, by selecting the "beta branch" (right click on game name in Library list, properties, betas tab).

I am calling it beta, but there shouldn't be any major issue since the gameplay it's the same as before, the only thing that has changed is the new manga art :)
computer games

applegirl
Veteran

#26 Post by applegirl »

Have to say, the new art is a massive upgrade over the previous style. I was perusing the steam forums and realized the huge quality difference (no offense but the old art romance cgs made me cringe). The new art upgrade (and I do mean upgrade, finally I can actually play the demo) made me realize also that card games just aren't my style but also I hadn't realized how much the old art kept me from even playing the demo.

It really speaks to how much Jack cares about his games and listening to his fans that he upgraded this game art. If you do plan on expanding the Planet stronghold world, any chance you'll be doing it in an RPG format over card game? I think my tastes are a bit too mainstream so I'm kind of a fan of your RPGs over card games.

Edit: also random question but do you think you'll change the steam video? I was watching it and the moment I saw the old art, kinda cringed again. No offense meant er but I think it may be a deterrent to see that art in a video compared to the new style.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#27 Post by jack_norton »

The sequel to my first game will be a RPG too :)
And yes I will change the video, I already asked Aleema to do it (not a big change, don't have time/money to redo it completely, but at least show also the manga art).
computer games