Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Ideas Dump

#1471 Post by gekiganwing »

LukaHastune wrote:... she's a wanted runaway experiment, the government wants to capture her by sending people after her...
Start as close to the action as possible. For instance, when the story starts, have the main character already decided that she no longer wants to do corporate espionage or assassinations. In the first scene, she is active, and doing something such as...

* Trying to escape a lab of mad scientists
* Looking for a place to hide
* Attempting to change her appearance

If she has a supernatural ability, that could add some conflict. Let's say she has a superpower that lets her defend herself, or hide in plain sight. The problem is that she only has this power because of the secret agency's experimental surgeries, or because of black magic. She can not be a normal person unless she finds a way to undo this power.

One of my plotbunnies: The main character has grown up in luxury as the heir of a rich family. Then his family introduces him to a girl who is meant to be his bodyguard. He realizes that they raised the girl to be an obedient human weapon, and he finds it horrifying. He wants to leave his family's mansion as soon as possible, and then hide somewhere. There is an active antagonist -- one person in the main character's family wants to keep both of them under his/her control. (The story might benefit from at least one more sympathetic character: a person who was supposed to train the bodyguard girl but helped her become more human, or a family servant who provides the main character with advice. Also, it doesn't matter whether the main character and the bodyguard are male or female.)

Where would the story go from there? It would be about two people who want to escape from their problems for a while. They don't know how to relate to people in the real world, or to each other. They need to deal with the problem of their family trying to take them back, rather than constantly running away.

Harick
Veteran

#1472 Post by Harick »

You play as a girl in a dedicated butler/ housemaid school, who due to her exceptional grades is granted a special offer to stay the summer vacation and learn "something every butler should know." She accepts, but is skeptical to what every butler should know that they didn't teach normally.
It turned out to be murder.
Too afraid to run away due to being surrounded by crazy butlers and maids, she decides to stay until the end of the summer without attracting too much attention. Luckily for her there's no killing on campus, instead something more akin to a game where one student "kills" a person while the others have to find out who did it, to train them how to set up a murder properly and deflecting attention properly.

This is meant to be a play on the "the butler killed him!" trope. I had imagined this as a dating sim with investigation elements akin to Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa, but with an additional twist that the player has to set up murder scenes too.

I want to make this, but I don't know how, so I'll just post this here.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#1473 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Harick wrote: This is meant to be a play on the "the butler killed him!" trope. I had imagined this as a dating sim with investigation elements akin to Phoenix Wright or Danganronpa, but with an additional twist that the player has to set up murder scenes too.
I like the premise. Ironically, I think almost no movies or novels exist where the butler is actually the murderer. It's a trope to think the butler is the murderer, but it never turns out to be the case.

Harick
Veteran

#1474 Post by Harick »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: I like the premise. Ironically, I think almost no movies or novels exist where the butler is actually the murderer. It's a trope to think the butler is the murderer, but it never turns out to be the case.
Yeah, I thought to have that pointed out being a plot point, but I haven't really thought about it that much.

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#1475 Post by SHiNKiROU »

Larry Niven's The Magic Goes Away uses magic as allegory of the non-renewable energy petroleum, and near the place I'm living in (guess), there is an issue over building the oil pipeline, so I'm thinking of a MAGIC PIPELINE. The magic pipeline was proposed to sell magical energy to the Land of Wutai to enhance their martial arts with magical powers. The wizards argue how the pipeline can enhance local communities, while the elves protest that their sacred territories are being trespassed, and the residents worry about magic spill: No one want to be a victim of magic spills. If it's made into a VN, then you play as a politician of either side trying to push your agenda, by doing things like creating "educational packages" targeted at children. Or as someone who was a victim of magic spill.

I wouldn't use this idea by myself because I don't like current event-based Author Tracts, especially about a relatively local and specific issue. I have a chance to integrate this idea to one of my stories but I chose not to.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#1476 Post by AntiquedFae »

The Magic Pipeline idea makes me giggle, nod and roll my eyes all at the same time. That one sounds pretty genius, I have to say.

Though really, isn't there an issue with building an oil pipeline everywhere right now? ;) Okay, that's a bad distraction topic, so let us not speak of this. Just magical pipelines.

Actually, it would be interesting to allow the player to start from many different sides of the conflict, not just playing a politician from one side or the other; perhaps a good way of doing that would be to have a quiz or something at the beginning asking the player about their opinion on different aspects of the pipeline issue, then based on the sum of their responses place them in the group that most resembles their opinion, and start the story from there. That could be fun.
Meh, idea barf.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#1477 Post by curry nochi rice »

You play as the last conservative person on Earth.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1478 Post by gekiganwing »

"When Elephants Battle...": Your character exists in a universe where seriously overpowered heroes and villains often clash with each other. Your job is to clean up the damage that's left after their fights.
AntiquedFae wrote: Actually, it would be interesting to allow the player to start from many different sides of the conflict, not just playing a politician from one side or the other; perhaps a good way of doing that would be to have a quiz or something at the beginning asking the player about their opinion on different aspects of the pipeline issue, then based on the sum of their responses place them in the group that most resembles their opinion, and start the story from there. That could be fun.
I would prefer a story in which neither side in a conflict is clearly good or evil, and both sides have some merit. The people on both sides have complex motivations.

Harick
Veteran

#1479 Post by Harick »

Okay, so this is an idea that I really want to do but it would fit best as a long running tv show or comic. I have an idea on how to make it a VN but it'll need an overarching story then, but whatever.

So basically it's about a group of people that play tabletop rpgs together. That's it. there are like arcs where they play one rpg like D&D, and when they're done they play Call of Cthulhu, and after that they play Star Wars Edge of the Empire and so on.

The idea is based on Darths and Droids and the stories that come from playing tabletop rpgs. I want to make it to have something silly that I can have all my smaller stories that I can't be bothered to make otherwise. Another reason is just to have the same characters doing different stuff in different settings, and the characters they role-play as.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1480 Post by gekiganwing »

Harick wrote: So basically it's about a group of people that play tabletop rpgs together. That's it.
One of my plotbunnies is "Don't Date the GM!" In other words, a story in which the protagonist likes his game master. However, he is uncertain about asking her out. He doesn't want to cause conflicts with his friends and disrupt the group. It would be easier for him to date someone else, but he has trouble finding someone who shares his interests. I'm not sure where the story would go from there.
Harick wrote: Another reason is just to have the same characters doing different stuff in different settings, and the characters they role-play as.
I like this idea. There's multiple levels: who they are as a person, and who they choose to play in tabletop games. Do their fictional characters resemble who they are in the real world? Are their fictional characters consistent, or different with each game?

n0tgin
Regular

#1481 Post by n0tgin »

This could just be 7+ hours of working in Blender, but I think an undercover/secret agent GxB/G would be kind of cool? Think James Bond! Except, you know, slightly more whimsical and less shagging and without the Cold War politics! Tension! Adventure! Super cool gadgets! Explosions! Wooing people! Sounds like an epic... If I ever build up the confidence to even release a short thing that is, much less an epic. ^-^'

akumu.chan

#1482 Post by akumu.chan »

This is a story that I just thought out a few minutes ago. I won't be working on this one but I thought someone else wants a go at this? Who knows.

Title: Famous Love?

Genre: suspense/thriller/romance

Premise: You play as a famous actress/songstress, in love with a fellow actor/singer. The two of you decide to tie the knot in a lavish wedding ceremony. After the wedding, you fly for a honeymoon trip on a secluded island at a certain country. Finding that no one realises that you're a famous certain person there, you feel relaxed and content. Your husband feels the same too. After that, both you and your husband feel that you want to live in a countryside, away from the bustle and hustle of the city, the fame scene and paparazzi, of course.

The countryside that you both decide to live in is very welcoming and warm to you and your husband. You feel welcomed and safe. You thought that this is a good place to relax and have a quiet life. You are very kind to the people, easy to approach and enjoy the attention that you receive from the townspeople. Your husband is also well liked within the community.

To protect you and your husband, the people doesn't welcome strangers easily into their community for fear of paparazzi ruining your picturesque perfect life, or other people with ill intention towards you. They become obsessive and possessive, seeing you andyour husband as their prized couple. Overtime, their obsession becomes dangerous towards you and your husband. Strange smiles, obsessed guys fawning over you, flirty teens aiming for your husband at first. Then knocks on the door at night, wanting to come in. Creepy love letters filled with mice's heads, blood, and was that human eye balls?

You become paranoid and want to leave the place. But no surprise here, telephone doesn't work. It also seems like they barricade the town to avoid outsiders from coming in, but also efectively shutting you inside. How will you escape? Who is the culprit?

Twist: Your husband was actually the one who plotted for all of this. Why? Decide yourself. :)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#1483 Post by Mammon »

Wait, there's a thread for dumping ideas you're not going to make?! Sorry Lemmasoft, for starting a new thread about something that already exists...

Anyways, I guess I'll keep the other ideas in the original thread to prevent creating a wall of text, but I think Pestilent love (or whatever you want to call it) will fit right in around here.

Pestilent love{romance}
Your house is infested with pests, and you did what any other sane human would do; you called an exterminator to deal with the problem. To the pest however this is not as obvious, and they want to prevent this genocidal act by any means! And those means are; turning into a boy/girl to convince you not to kill their family. So, after talking to the exterminator and agreeing on a date for the cleansing, you go back inside only to find a boy/girl dressed in nothing but one of your old shirts sitting at your table. Can they convince you within a week to call off the attack, can you convince them to fall in love with you, or will this strange adventure end badly for the both of you?

So, which socially inept pest will you choose to romance? The shy and cute mouse, the cockroach without shame or social disgression, the stray cat (you know what they’d be like), the diligent ant, the airheaded fly, or the introvert fox? (etc.)

Pro’s:
-Doesn’t require a lot of backgrounds, outfits and secondary character sprites. The entire story can take place in your house.
-A very clear deadline as to how long the VN should last and when the story's climax has to happen (used one week here).
-A very strong motivation for the romanceable characters that can even supercede the shyness of the mouse and the fox, and a good reason why they’re in your house the entire time.
-They only have one dirty t-shirt, so you could dress them up however you’d like and still improve upon their attire. (Wink, wink)

Con’s
-Can it really be called love under these conditions, or are you the monster here?
-How the hell aren’t you going to be the monster if you don’t agree to their terms right away?
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#1484 Post by Zelan »

curry nochi rice wrote:You play as the last conservative person on Earth.
All right, calm down, Satan. cx

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#1485 Post by curry nochi rice »

Zelan wrote:
curry nochi rice wrote:You play as the last conservative person on Earth.
All right, calm down, Satan. cx
Hey.... ahahahaha. Haven't really worked on this one. Probably involves a rural setting or sth.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.