Blurry Sprites?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

Blurry Sprites?

#1 Post by Elze »

Hey guys, I'm the sprite artist for Lads in Distress, and it seems like my sprites automatically become blurry when the writers place them into Ren'Py. Unfortunately we can't seem to figure out what's the issue, so I'm here to seek help ; _ ;
Here's a screenshot that shows the sprite in-game VS actual image(in 100% size):
eg1.png
We've tried changing the renderer as suggested here but it got even blurrier:
eg2.png
I'm veeerrryy particular about sharpness and image quality, so I'm really upset that my sprites are coming out all blurry. ANY help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Alternatively, if you're not sure what's the problem either but don't mind helping, I can send you a sample .png sprite to test on your end to see if it's still blurry. THANK YOU <3

RumRat
Regular
Completed: The Dreamweaver
Tumblr: the-rat-prince
Deviantart: TheRatPrince

Re: Blurry Sprites?

#2 Post by RumRat »

I've had a similar problem, except for me it was not only that the sprites would be blurry, but my window would open too small as well, only opening in the intended size after I'd set 'fullscreen' in options and then 'windowed' again.
I'm guessing your sprites are the correct size for the game and that you've tried deleting persistent and so on so I'm not sure how to help since deleting persistent several times worked for me.
I would be willing to try it out on my end though, if you think it would offer helpful info.

Does it only happen with the side image or with the others as well?

(if it's of any consolation, I think it still looks lovely and wouldn't mind playing as-is.)
Formerly ThePirate

The Dreamweaver(NaNo 2016)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#3 Post by nyaatrap »

What is the monitor resolution and the game resolution? ren'py automatically (or mis-manipulation by window dragging) adjusts its resolution to a monitor with poor resampling method, then it causes alias or blurry.

Elze
Veteran

#4 Post by Elze »

Aaaaa thank you so much for the replies ; _ ; <3

One of our writers tried again, this time on her desktop instead of her laptop, and somehow it stopped being blurry. We still have no idea what's the problem but so glad it's fine now. Might have something to do with monitor resolution like @nyaatrap mentioned. Oh and answering @ThePirate, it happened with all sprites, not just the side sprite O___Q For now we're ok but if the sprites start becoming blurry again I'll be back o<-<

greenacedesu

#5 Post by greenacedesu »

may be you can try this? when you declare the image at the start of the game use this code.
image IMAGE_NAME = im.MatrixColor( "image file location",
im.matrix.contrast (c))

where c must be bigger than 0, if you want the contrast to be higher than original image , it should be more than value of 1.

but if it is as what nyaatrap said, then there is no way you can make the sprite to look prefect, as some playes will have monitor with poor resampling , and the spite will still look blur for them.
Image Image Image

yoshibb
Veteran

#6 Post by yoshibb »

I think it's that computer. This happened to me before. If you want, try this:

1. Find the renpy application in the folder it's located in.
2. Right click and click on properties
3. Go to the compatibility tab
4. check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"
5. Run Renpy

See if that fixes it on the computer. It won't effect how it's run on other computer's unfortunately, but hopefully that will fix yours.

Elze
Veteran

#7 Post by Elze »

@Greenace: Thanks for your suggestion ; v ; We tried, but it kinda changes how the sprites look so I guess we can't use this method.

@yoshibb: That sounds like it might work O_O I'll go let the writers know, TY <3