Image is to blurry when I shrink it

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Image is to blurry when I shrink it

#1 Post by infel »

So my artist gave me the sprites for my game, but the problem is they are too big for the screen. So I shrunk them, but when I get to a certain size the image is blurry and doesn't look too good. I could sharpen it, but that doesn't look good either. I've learned that having a sprite at 900X1000 is good, but sadly it doesn't fit the screen. Is there anyway to make it fit without having the sprite be too blurry?
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

teagirlvn
Deviantart: teagirl-vn

Re: Image is to blurry when I shrink it

#2 Post by teagirlvn »

What program are you using to resize the sprites ? I always make my sprites 5 times bigger than what I need for a VN and I shrunk them just fine with photoshop 'image > image size'. If you scale them with photoshop free transform, you should do it in one go or else it will be blury a lot, may be you can post your sprites here so every can take a look. You can pm it to me if you don't want to public it, I can try to resize it for you.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games

#3 Post by infel »

Sadly I'm not really using a program. I click on the picture and I have a mac so it shows up in photo booth. Then I readjust the size, but it looks so blurry. I don't have photoshop, but would gimp be okay to use? I know enough to do it. If not, I'll take you up on your offer ='D.

Patreon

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#4 Post by curry nochi rice »

I actually resize my sprites through ren'py's im.FactorScale. Gimp is okay.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

teagirlvn
Deviantart: teagirl-vn

#5 Post by teagirlvn »

I have never use gimp before but people say it's good so I think it would be okay, at least it will do better than photobooth for sure. Just give it a try, if the result is still not better, then just send it to me, or you can contact your artist to help you, I believe they don't mind.

korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

#6 Post by korova »

Gimp does the job OK (that's what I use, no photoshop on linux)

infel
Veteran

#7 Post by infel »

curry nochi rice
Thank you for the advice. I'll try that out and see what happens =).
teagirlvn
Thank you so much for the help. If I can figure out curry nochi rice's way, I'll do gimp and if not that, I'll come back to you. If not, thanks again for being willing to help me out =D.
korova
Yeah, gimp is a good free resource. I would like photoshop, but it's just too expensive =(

Patreon

Current Projects

Cruxador

#8 Post by Cruxador »

infel wrote:So my artist gave me the sprites for my game, but the problem is they are too big for the screen. So I shrunk them, but when I get to a certain size the image is blurry and doesn't look too good. I could sharpen it, but that doesn't look good either. I've learned that having a sprite at 900X1000 is good, but sadly it doesn't fit the screen. Is there anyway to make it fit without having the sprite be too blurry?
Why not just have your artist send you a resized version in addition to the original one?

synedraacus
Regular
Github: synedraacus

#9 Post by synedraacus »

That's actually a good idea. Unless you are skilled in Photoshop/Gimp/whatever mac people use, cleaning up the resizing artifacts may take immense time.