rollback randomly broken? (fixed)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ocircuit
Regular

rollback randomly broken? (fixed)

#1 Post by Ocircuit »

for some reason, out of no where the rollback function on my game stopped working. I didnt do anything to the key map so i don't know what caused this, but now when you use page up or mousedown_4 it just brings you directly back to the main menu... can someone help me out here?
Last edited by Ocircuit on Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: rollback randomly broken? rollback goes directly to mainmenu

#2 Post by PyTom »

Did you customize the main menu? This is the behavior one would expect when the game is running in a context other than the topmost one.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Ocircuit
Regular

Re: rollback randomly broken? rollback goes directly to mainmenu

#3 Post by Ocircuit »

yes, I customized the main menu using an image map, but this problem wasn't happening before while I had the customised menu. It just kind of all of a sudden did this, I'm sure I must have done something that caused it but I don't know what it was...but it had been working as usually after I made the new menu.

Ocircuit
Regular

Re: rollback randomly broken? (fixed)

#4 Post by Ocircuit »

well I just came across something strange...when I was making the story part of the game and testing it I created saves in the game to quickly get to certain parts of the story. So I still wasn't able to get the rollback to work properly, but I loaded a save from the load menu and the rollback works again. There's still some weird buggy problems going on though. If I load a save and then choose the option to be brought back to the main menu when I go to start a new game, it will start normally but if you use the rollback option from there it will rollback to where I left off in the loaded file instead of rolling back to where it should.

As soon as I find out how to fix one thing another breaks....
my script files are really ugly as it is, really messy and unorganized looking, but I'm afraid to with mess them for fear of breaking something else in my game.

EDIT : I think I know what the problem is actually, when you go to the main menu from the actual game you usually get a prompt saying something like "you will lose unsaved progress, continue?". I made a main menu image button and when clicked it doesn't bring up the prompt and I guess it doesn't clear the 'unsaved' data. I don't know how to fix that tho.

EDIT : I fixed it, the problem appearently was due to the custom main menu...The problem only occured when I had the main menu use 'jump start', when I replaced it with '$ renpy.jump_out_of_context("start")' ,as suggested by py'tom, it fixed the looping problem as well as the rollback problem.