Mermaid Sonata [Music | Magic | GxG } [NaNo16} Updated Art!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Mermaid Sonata [Music | Magic | GxG } [NaNo16} Updated Art!

#1 Post by infel »

(Logo Coming Soon)

About Mermaid Sonata- Mermaid Sonata is A GxG game with themes of friendship, mermaids, and some folklore. The game will only be a demo consisting of 15,000-20,000 words, but will feature the first two or three chapters of the game. Note due to time restraints the demo will likely have no custom GUI, music, or backgrounds. However I do hope I can find someone to do the GUI cause the game feels a bit empty without it ;-;. For now the creation of this visual novel is a two girl show, but I do hope we can create a fun demo for you guys =). If more join, I'll be sure to let you know.

Synopsis- Tasha has always had a deep love for the ocean. However one thing is keeping her back from ever fully enjoying the beautiful sea and that is her phobia of the water. Oddly enough her fear only becomes active when she is in water, but not close to it. Why she has this is not fully understood, but her phobia doesn't stop her from enjoying it.

When failing to get a job she sulks to the beach, the only place that has ever made her feel better. There though she meets an odd girl who is singing a very beautiful but mysterious song. As she approaches her though a strange force grabs her and sucks deep into the ocean depths.

Thinking her life is over, Tasha is miraculously saved by a mysterious being who brings her to shore. Before she can see who is was, she ends up going unconscious. The next day she wakes up, oddly enough back in her old house. When awoken she is met by an odd girl sleeping at her bed side, who has the same colored hair as her savior.

From this point on, her life changes when seeing this girl and the pair become good friends. However as their friendship grows, secrets about her mother, the ocean world, and her new friend begin to come to light and she herself may be the only person possible to stop the evil growing out in the big ravaging seas.
Characters:

Tasha (image coming soon)- Our main character. She is a girl who has little direction in her life. Given her lonely nature she doesn't have the best relationship with her sister, but tries her best to be someone Mia can be proud off. Tasha is a friendly and caring girl, though sometimes her actions can be a bit selfish. She has literally no friends either given how she is a loner, but is content with her introvert life. Like her mom she has a deep love for the ocean. Sadly her phobia, which oddly on shows when she's actually in water, makes it hard for her to enjoy the full experience. Besides writing fantasy stories, she has a love for collect sea shells. Also loves sweets.

Cia- A curious, but rather naive girl who saves Tasha when she (admittedly rather stupidly) falls into the ocean. Cia is adventurous and a friendly girl who comes to the upper world to learn more about the customs of it's people. Sadly she is a bit gullible and that's not a very good trait to have when coming to a place you don't know. When meeting Tasha she decides to live her in order for Tasha not to be lonely, though the real reason is Cia's attachment for the girl. Unlike most of her kind she has a more positive outlook on the human world, but she is on constant conflict with her father. Despite being mature in a way, Cia can act like a child and can even be a bit possessive of the people she likes, like Tasha.

Ember- Cia's elder sister. She comes to the surface in order to look for her young sister. Unlike Cia, Ember is not very interested in the upper world and actually doesn't like land. For her the ocean is her life and home, but is willing to leave it in order to bring Cia back. Rash, short tempered, and strong, Ember can come off as a slightly scary girl and her fire powers only increase that feeling. However she is not a bad being and is actually quite protective of her family and those she cares about. When coming to the upper world she gets slightly disoriented and at times allows her fear to get the best of her. Out of the three she is the strongest, but not very skilled in magic. She doesn't take a liking to Tasha for a good while and can be easily flustered. Likes sleeping in enclosed places.

Luna-The middle sister though her calm and cool attitude makes some think otherwise. How Luna feels about the upper world isn't fully known, though she seems to be indifferent. Unlike her sisters, she does not let her emotions get away of her judgement and seems to prefer logic over feelings. Though this makes her smart, she does come of as a bit cold and uncaring, but in all honesty emotions are a concept she doesn't fully understand. Out of all the sisters she is the strongest with magic and her powers come from the moon. She's also very secretive and is hiding a darker part of herself showing she may not be easy to trust.

Supporting Character

Mia (image coming soon)- Tasha's older sister. Mia is different from Tasha; hardworking, serious, and always looking at things with a positive light, or at least she tries to. Sadly her attitude contrasts with Tasha's and her know it all nature can sometimes rub off others the wrong way. Though she cares for her sister deeply, Mia is getting fed up with Tasha's selfish attitude and often wonders if she does it on purpose. Right now she too is trying to get her life together, but sadly it seems to be all over the place which is making her really stressed out.

Saya (image coming soon)- A girl Tasha's has known since their high school days. The two don't get along very well yet for some reason Saya seems to 'care' for Tasha in an odd way. Flirty, elegant, and fun, Saya has caught the eyes of many guys and seems to have the life Tasha can't get. But even she has her darker secrets and her family has a connection to the mermaids and the folklore behind them. She also get's along with Mia well, which causes tension between her and Tasha.

Demo Features:
-Custom Art
-Two to Three Chapter of Story
-Some Choice Options
-A Least an Hour of Gameplay
-Maybe more?

Main Game Features:
-Custom Art
-Original Music
-Custom Backgrounds
-Folklore about Mermaids
-Three Routes and Maybe One Secret one
-Multiple Choices and Endings
-Custom GUI

Questions:
Do you like the premise?

Do you like the characters?

If so, who do you like the most?

What do you think about the art?

Any suggestions

Progress:
Script:2% (So much to do ;-;)
Outline:3%
Sprites and CGs:10%
GUI: Looking
BGs: Looking
Music: Looking

Team:
Project Lead, Head Writer, and Coder- Me (infel)
Head Artist, CG Artist- YumYum (Thank you =D)
Last edited by infel on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

Re: Mermaid Sonata [Comedy | Magic | GxG | Drama] [NaNo16]

#2 Post by MimirollCookie »

Good luck with NaNo!!! :D
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

furiousfixation

#3 Post by furiousfixation »

I really love the premise of this game! It sounds like it will be a lot of fun to uncover Tasha's mysterious connection to the ocean. Also I am a sucker for mermaid stories, and they are so few are far between! (I still am not over the fact that H2O only ran for three seasons.) I am glad that "mermaid folklore" is on your list of main game features--it will be interesting to see your unique take on mermaids. The character designs are lovley--Luna's in particular is a really beautiful and eye-catching design. Good luck on your project! I hope that I can play it one day.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games

#4 Post by infel »

MimirollCookie
Thank you =D

furiousfixation
Thank you =D. I to have always been fascinated by mermaids. I got this idea last year when going on a trip to Amsterdam and walking near the ocean. It was really beautiful and helped this idea come to light. And I remember H20. It was really sad how they just stopped it =(. It was cool seeing a mermaid story that's just not only The Little Mermaid. As for folklore, I'll do my best. I know a few stories like a tale where if you eat the flesh of a mermaid you become immortal. I need to read up more on others though XD. But again, thank you for being interested =).

Ps- Luna is my favorite design as well =).

Patreon

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by MimirollCookie »

I'm glad you picked things up after what happened at the Recruitment Thread (Thingy)
I'm glad you got back on track!! :D
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:

Hi.In.Ni
Regular

#6 Post by Hi.In.Ni »

They look so good omg, I love the art style. I'm working on my characters and this appears and I just feel like quiting and crying haha
Please, check my NaNoRenO entry!
That was easy!! [NSFW] [BxG/B] [NaNoRenO2016]
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37491

infel
Veteran

#7 Post by infel »

MimirollCookie
Thank you =D. I wasn't sure if I should do a demo or small game, so I just went with the demo since progress didn't begin till March 1 lol.

Hi.In.Ni
Thank you =D. And for me, I didn't actually start writing this till this month. Planning both stories and characters I've been doing on and off for a long time. I saw your game though it looks very cute and something fun to play =D.

Patreon

Current Projects

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#8 Post by Rinima »

Oh I love mermaid stories! Mermaid folklore is so interesting as well :)

The characters looks and sound super duper cute! The art is really really nice so far~
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

infel
Veteran

#9 Post by infel »

Rinima wrote:Oh I love mermaid stories! Mermaid folklore is so interesting as well :)

The characters looks and sound super duper cute! The art is really really nice so far~

Thank you so much =D. I need to research the folklore on the more, but I know some of the stories. And I'm glad you like the art =D. Anatashia did a really good job designing them.

Patreon

Current Projects

infel
Veteran

Re: Mermaid Sonata [Music | Magic | GxG } [NaNo16} Updated A

#10 Post by infel »

Updated the sprites. Luna is now finished =D. As for progress it is sadly going slow in terms of the writing. I've had a lot of school to do. I'll try to get the first three chapters in the demo done though. Luckily I have spring break next week ='D. Anyway, hope to have some CG's to show later this week and maybe a sketch of Tasha. So much to do ;-;.

Patreon

Current Projects

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by MimirollCookie »

Luna looks like an angel descended from Moon.

infel
Veteran

#12 Post by infel »

Yeah, we didn't make it =(. It's my fault though due to having some trouble with school and having to catch up. My artist also had a field trip for a week, so she couldn't do any art. But the game isn't dropped. From this point it'll go slow as I'm trying to get out Mark's Story and Reach for the Stars, not to mention I'm helping someone with a game. I'm hoping by June I can write more, but it depends. I'll try to write every now and then for maybe an hour just to have some progress, but I always vary ;-;. But I do hope to get a demo by my birthday (July 12), which is a gift to myself ='D

Patreon

Current Projects

teagirlvn
Deviantart: teagirl-vn

#13 Post by teagirlvn »

I have to say you got yourself a gifted artist on this one, the story also sounds interesting, I think you should get serious with this, run a kickstarter and make a short game and put it on steam, with the art alone I can tell it's going to sell ok.
Last edited by teagirlvn on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nana7
Regular
Projects: Unichan (NanoReno), Keylocker
Tumblr: umiloo

#14 Post by Nana7 »

This art is great, I love the way your artists paints the hair, specially the red-head one. I loved the plot, is really interesting, and I think it may be lighthearted, the way I like it :3 I'm looking forward to see it done.

Mashiro-chi
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Wolf & Red's Lovestory,Familiar & Love
Tumblr: nyahtome
Deviantart: Mashiro-chi

#15 Post by Mashiro-chi »

Wow, the art looks very stunning and the the story interesting. I thinks I'll keep stalking this even though I don't usually play yuri.

Game dev blog:Tumblr