DISCovery [B/G x B/G] [Dating/ Slice of life / Sports]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen
Projects: Wrong Number
Organization: WitPOP
itch: red-baby

DISCovery [B/G x B/G] [Dating/ Slice of life / Sports]

#1 Post by Red-Baby »

DUE TO COMPUTER ISSUES, PRODUCTION OF THIS GAME IS TEMPORARILY CANCELLED
I WILL RETURN TO THIS PROJECT ONCE I HAVE COMPLETED MY OTHER PROJECTS

DISCovery is a game revolving around the sport 'ultimate frisbee'. You play as a nameless individual that has to guide either Lloyd or Elliot through life for the span of 43 days.
You can help them make decisions that will help build their intelligence, fitness, relationships with others, or even break down relationships.

Features:
+ Male and Female protagonist option
+ Male and Female love interests
+ Stat building in 'Intellect' and 'Fitness'
+ Protagonist personality can vary depending on choices made
+ Multiple endings (At least 8 endings)
+ A cool sports uniform =D

Characters
Character's Heights Coloured Casual transparent.png
Lloyd - Elliot - Lilith - Micky - Zen - Ray

Protagonists

Lloyd or Elliot

Lloyd is a 19 year old male studying in university. He is part of an ultimate frisbee team and recruits Elliot to play as they need an extra player. By default he is the happy-go-lucky type of character (but you can change this based on choices made).
Elliot is a 19 year old girl studying in university and works at a sports shop. She is hesitant to play ultimate frisbee since it is a something she is unfamiliar with. By default she is a polite and reserved type of character (but you can change this based on choices made).

Teammates/Potential love interests

Lilith is a 20 year old who works at a cafe. She has white hair with blue hue tips, red eyes, and pale skin. By default Lilith is the quiet and expressionless type of character. She has a few things that she enjoys talking about but is cautious when opening up with people.

Micky is a 21 year old who works at the same cafe as Lilith. Micky has short brown hair and blue eyes. Be default Micky is a calm, friendly and caring person but also has a silly side.

Zen is a 21 year old who works at the same university as Lloyd and Elliot. Zen has hazel eyes and black hair with a few purple streaks in his fringe. By default he is the type of person that doesn't like to use energy needlessly.

Ray is a 21 year old idiot. He has gold eyes and long red hair with purple streaks on the side that he always ties up. Be default he is the type of character that is loud, outgoing, always cheerful, and friendly... the idiot.
screenshot.png
Progress
SLOW
Script::
- - Days 4/43 Done
[Will probably make a demo of the first 8 days]

Sprites::
- - Lloyd 12/ ??
- - Elliot 12/ ??
- - Lilith 4/ ??
- - Micky 4/ ??
- - Ray 4/ ??
- - Zen 4/ ??

Logo::
by ds-sans (thank you!)

Questions
1. What do you think about the idea of a game revolving around ultimate frisbee?
2. Do you think the cast is diverse?
3. Anyone know any good background artists? =D
Last edited by Red-Baby on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: DISCovery [B/G x B/G] [Dating/ Slice of life / Sports]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Red-Baby wrote: You play as a nameless individual that has to guide either Lloyd or Elliot through life for the span of 43 days.
You can help them make decisions that will help build their intelligence, fitness, relationships with others, or even break down relationships.
Placing a time limit on your story is one way to avoid feature creep. It could also help with pacing. In other words, you can use this time limit to make sure that the story is building toward a conclusion.

What will happen after forty-three days? Is it the end of a semester term? Is it a major event such as an ultimate frisbee competition?
Red-Baby wrote: + Stat building in 'Intellect' and 'Fitness'
Be sure to playtest your simulation gameplay quite a bit. There have been threads here on Lemma Soft talking about how to make sure that stat driven games are not too difficult or obtuse. My personal recommendation: help the player to understand how to achieve goals in the game. Find a way to communicate that the main character will need (for example) at least 30 Intellect in order to pass the exam and at least 50 Fitness to win the last ultimate frisbee match.
Red-Baby wrote: 2. Do you think the cast is diverse?
Good question. I recommend asking yourself what you think about your fictional characters. Do you consider them to be believable, interesting people? Do you think they have plausible conflicts and motivations?

After searching TVTropes for a minute or two, I found the article Five Token Band. It contains some negative examples. In other words, it lists some groups of fictional characters that were probably meant to be diverse, but which only present stereotypes, rather than people who seem real. The article also contains some positive examples. In other words, there are published works of fiction that put a variety of characters in major roles, and then make them genuine and complex.

Red-Baby
Veteran
Completed: Free!: Arabian Nights, BAKED:MAGIC, I'm a love interest in my CHILDHOOD FRIEND'S reverse harem!!!, I'm a side character in a BL story!, Ell's Kitchen

#3 Post by Red-Baby »

gekiganwing wrote:
Red-Baby wrote: You play as a nameless individual that has to guide either Lloyd or Elliot through life for the span of 43 days.
Placing a time limit on your story is one way to avoid feature creep. It could also help with pacing. In other words, you can use this time limit to make sure that the story is building toward a conclusion.

What will happen after forty-three days? Is it the end of a semester term? Is it a major event such as an ultimate frisbee competition?
Red-Baby wrote: + Stat building in 'Intellect' and 'Fitness'
Be sure to playtest your simulation gameplay quite a bit. There have been threads here on Lemma Soft talking about how to make sure that stat driven games are not too difficult or obtuse. My personal recommendation: help the player to understand how to achieve goals in the game. Find a way to communicate that the main character will need (for example) at least 30 Intellect in order to pass the exam and at least 50 Fitness to win the last ultimate frisbee match.
Red-Baby wrote: 2. Do you think the cast is diverse?
Good question. I recommend asking yourself what you think about your fictional characters. Do you consider them to be believable, interesting people? Do you think they have plausible conflicts and motivations?

After searching TVTropes for a minute or two, I found the article Five Token Band. It contains some negative examples. In other words, it lists some groups of fictional characters that were probably meant to be diverse, but which only present stereotypes, rather than people who seem real. The article also contains some positive examples. In other words, there are published works of fiction that put a variety of characters in major roles, and then make them genuine and complex.

Thank you for the feedback =D
Since the game is more focused on the sport, there will be weekly frisbee games and at the very end is the finals game. There's also another aspect to the game that I'm gonna keep secret for now =]

I've been trying out the point system for intel and fitness, and so far I think I have the basic coding down. I've got a very simple 'make sure you practice before the game each week, or else you'll struggle' line in the script somewhere. Since the matches are meant to get progressively harder I'm not going to give a specific number that you need to reach, and just keep implying that exercise is good. (I want the game to feel a more natural and not focus too much on the stat building - that's really just dear to determine different story outcomes)

Thanks for the link! I will check it out =]
I think they're interesting, but I sure hope they're not stereotypical.

Red-Baby
Veteran

#4 Post by Red-Baby »

Progress Report!!

I've finished the script for the first three days. Have started adding in Lloyd's different sprites into the game but am still using placeholders for Elliot and the others.
Will try to finish the script for the first 8 days and adding the other characters' sprites in so that I can release an alpha of the demo.

Got an awesome logo for the game from ds-sans during a trade. Will need to make a cover for the game soon.

Letitia_L
Regular
Projects: Up until the end
IRC Nick: Letitia
Tumblr: letigame
Deviantart: LetitiaLambrechts
itch: https://letigame.itc

#5 Post by Letitia_L »

Hooo looks interesting !

So :

1. What do you think about the idea of a game revolving around ultimate frisbee?
I think it's a good and original idea, I didn't saw any game on it and to be honest, I just have a vague idea on what this is. But your game makes me curious about it ^^
2. Do you think the cast is diverse?
Based on your description, I would say yes, but it will be easier to say this after playing a demo ^^
3. Anyone know any good background artists? =D
Sorry I think I can't help you on that ^^

I'll be sure to check the demo when it will be released :D
WIP project
Completed project

Red-Baby
Veteran

#6 Post by Red-Baby »

Letitia_L wrote:Hooo looks interesting !

So :

I think it's a good and original idea, I didn't saw any game on it and to be honest, I just have a vague idea on what this is. But your game makes me curious about it ^^
Thanks =D Hopefully the game will give you and other players a better idea of the rules of ultimate frisbee and some of the technical jargon.
I even have an 'Ultimate Frisbee Concultant' helping me with the game XD
Letitia_L wrote: 2. Do you think the cast is diverse?
Based on your description, I would say yes, but it will be easier to say this after playing a demo ^^
Fair statement. I should have an alpha of the game ready by late June. That's the goal.

Thanks for answering my questions ^w^
I'll be sure to post more updates soon!