Sunset Tea Party: Ongaku [Music | Friendship | SoL]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mandy
Regular

Sunset Tea Party: Ongaku [Music | Friendship | SoL]

#1 Post by Mandy »

A B O U T

Sunset Tea Party: Ongaku is a kinetic visual novel being developed by Mango Sorbet. A VN team consisting of Jacob; Concept, story, and art - Momo; GUI design and programming - Mandy; Story, script writing and some programming. It'll be a short free to play visual novel and it'll be around 15k words long.

S T O R Y

Clyde is tired of the monotony of drumming in the high school marching band. So he quits and his best friend Mabel unintentionally gives him the idea of starting his own music club. With little options, and out of Mabel’s will, they decide to form a Ska Punk Music Club, knowing next to nothing about the music genre. They’re given a week to find at least two other band members. Will they find their band members? And if so, will they get along and be able to perform as a band? Especially when one of them is your ex-best friend…

C H A R A C T E R S
Clyde Barker;
Clyde is the founder and drummer of the Ska Punk Music Club. Clyde is a loud and brash young man. He has a habit of swearing and making inappropriate jokes. Despite the crude jokes, he is usually friendly around others but disdainful towards people he has problems with. He’s pretty immature but can be mature when he wants to be. It may seem like he doesn’t care about his friends, but in truth he does. He just has a strange way of showing it.

Maya Hosono;
Maya is the bassist of the Ska Punk Music Club. She’s a Japanese transfer student and is fluent in English as she learnt it before arriving to America. Though she speaks in a very formal manner that is peculiar to her peers. She’s very shy at first, but will open up to those who are kind to her. Maya enjoys playing bass and hanging out with her newfound friends.

Mabel Armstrong;
Mabel is the brass instrumentalist in the Ska Punk Music Club. She’s Clyde’s best friend and ditched the marching band with him in order to help him form the music club. She’s a head strong girl and isn’t afraid to speak her mind, but she’s also very caring and has a nurturing nature. She helps keep Clyde in line and the band in order.

Mitchell Gareth Saunders;
Mitchell is the guitarist of the Ska Punk Music Club. Mitchell is a calm and collected person. He can be uptight at times, especially when it comes to practice. He can tolerate just about anything, even Clyde...but only to a certain point. Mitchell is very skilled at playing the guitar as he picked it up pretty easily when starting out. Music has always come easily to him, but he lost a lot of friends in his life because of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your interest! ^w^

JacobForRecess
Tumblr: badartforrecess

Re: Sunset Tea Party: Ongaku [Music | Friendship | SoL]

#2 Post by JacobForRecess »

Hello everyone,
My name is Jacob and I'm the one who's in charge of the concept and art. It also says that I'm in charge of the story. but I want to give our scriptwriter, Mandy, some freedom with that as well (so I guess that makes that in charge of the story as well).

Anyway, this whole visual novel idea came about after I played Starlit Flowers, a visual novel made for NaNoRenO by my friends over at Cosmic Latte (Mandy and Momo). After that, I thought I may as well as try and make one myself and I'm really happy that the Cosmic Latte guys are happy to help me with it as well!

This VN isn't intended to be some super big, ultra-dramatic game of the year, but rather a little side project and a bit of fun I guess. We don't really have a set deadline to finish it because everyone is really busy with other things (I've got University to worry about myself) but we plan to finish it by at least the end of the year or near there.

But enough of my rambling, here's some sprite lineart for Clyde and Maya as well as some coloured sprites I did as a test (I'll probably recolour the sprites later). I'll try and post any more art I do for this whenever I can. Also, hope you guys don't mind my style, I really need to draw and improve more :lol:

JacobForRecess

#3 Post by JacobForRecess »

Hi everyone,

It's not like anyone would care much but work on this Visual Novel will be delayed indefinitely, meaning that it may be quite a while before we continue working on it or it might be cancelled as a whole (I don't really know yet). I apologise for the inconvenience for small few who may be actually following this project but there has been some personal issues amongst the people involved that have proved too demoralising. In fact, Mandy has retired from this project and will no longer be writing the script because of these issues.

Don't worry, we're still on good terms but it's just that I would rather not delve into the details of everything out of respect. Again, I apologise for this but things have become real rough this past week and I don't think anybody, including myself, is in the right mindset to work on anything.

Momo and I will probably be on hiatus so that we can give ourselves time to think and stuff. I need to focus more on my studies as well.

Thank you for understanding our current situation. Hopefully, we'll work on this project once again but I wouldn't count on it.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I hope everything turns out okay for the three of you. <3 Take all of the time that you need to step away from here and just breathe, and don't feel obligated to rush back and start working again. I wish you all the best!

JacobForRecess

#5 Post by JacobForRecess »

@Zelan Thank you for those kind words. Mandy has officially retired from this project, so it's probably on Momo and I who will be working on it if we ever get back to it.

Honestly, I'm not sure how things are going to turn out or whether we're going to continue this at all. I'll post her again if someone comes up but for now, everyone including myself just wants to take a break from everything (even though this project has just been started).