How do I customise the main menu?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kensain

How do I customise the main menu?

#1 Post by Kensain »

This is so basic that it's embarassing to ask, but how do you change the buttons on the main menu? (The one with save/load, and the preferences on it).
The buttons featured on it are FAR too childish and not-scary for the mood I'm trying to put across.

I've tried searching the forums using several keywords, and I've scoured a few tutorials, but it doesn't seem to come up. What (undoubtably obvious solution) could I have missed ?

Lee_Hitsugaya
Regular

Re: How do I customise the main menu?

#2 Post by Lee_Hitsugaya »

Dude! I evny you so much! I don't know how to do this either and I had hoped to find something to help. Alas I didn't understand it much either. Im definantly with u on this one.
in a perfect world those who can do it teach others how to do it. but were not in a perfect world. So were primarily stuck with teachers who don't kno jack.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Visual Novel forums

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... rekzs0.png

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

You can change the font, positioning, and the labels for the main menu.

But so far, the only button themes we have is Roundrect.

We are working to change that to have more themes, especially one where you can easily use your own images.

Also try this (haven't personally tested it yet)
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

Kensain

#4 Post by Kensain »

DaFool wrote:You can change the font, positioning, and the labels for the main menu.

But so far, the only button themes we have is Roundrect.

We are working to change that to have more themes, especially one where you can easily use your own images.

Also try this (haven't personally tested it yet)
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
Aww man, thanks a bunch! I found out how to fix the backround image for a much scarier look by browsing the cookbook (silly me, I never gave it a thought unrelated to food :D ), and positioning is easy-as, but what is the code for font changes?

Also, while unrelated, is there a way to manually force a line break WITHOUT bringing up the next page?
I.E. *click*character speak a line
*2nd click* narration of thoughts about line
*3rd click* character replies.
*4th click* new page.

I saw this in Tsukihime, and I heard that Ren'Py can do everything ONScripter can do, minus .MPEG videos. It'd make an awfully fast paced game if I couldn't do this.

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

(Just so you know, I think it's generally preferred that a new, totally unrelated question would go in a new thread, around here. Like that, people interested in an answer to the same question won't ignore the thread 'cause it looks like it's unrelated.)
Kensain wrote: Also, while unrelated, is there a way to manually force a line break WITHOUT bringing up the next page?
I.E. *click*character speak a line
*2nd click* narration of thoughts about line
*3rd click* character replies.
*4th click* new page.
Yep.

Firstly, the {p} text tag (read more on text tags here, in the reference) will mean that a character's utterance is broken up with a click-to-continue pause. So, something like:

Code: Select all

mary "Whatever you've done... it's alright.{p}I forgive you."
Would translate into:

*click*
Mary:
Whatever you've done... it's alright.
*click*
Mary:
Whatever you've done... it's alright. I forgive you."
*click*
(next dialogue)

However, if you want it to look like Tsukihime, with the text over the whoel screen and have all the characters' lines displayed at the same time page by page, then you probably want to use NVL mode. To do so, define all of your characters with 'kind=nvl' as a parameter, and use the 'nvl clear' command to move to a new page. As the NVL manual page mentions, you can also override the narrator with a 'NVLCharacter'. So to follow the example you gave:

Code: Select all

# At the beginning of your script
init:
  mary = Character("Mary", color="#802020", kind=nvl)
  narrator = NVLCharacter(None, kind=nvl)

# ...
# Later, in your script proper
  mary "Whatever you've done... it's alright. I forgive you."
  "At this, I started to cry. Tears of relief welled up in the corners of my eyes, the fear and remorse I'd felt over the last day slowly disappearing."
  mary "Oh, you poor child. It's alright..."
  nvl clear
would result in:

*click*
Mary: Whatever you've done... it's alright. I forgive you."
*click*
At this, I started to cry. Tears of relief welled up in the corners of my eyes, the fear and remorse I'd felt over the last day slowly disappearing.
*click*
At this, I started to cry. Tears of relief welled up in the corners of my eyes, the fear and remorse I'd felt over the last day slowly disappearing.
Mary: Oh, you poor child. It's alright...
*click*
(everything clears, next page.)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Kensain wrote:I saw this in Tsukihime, and I heard that Ren'Py can do everything ONScripter can do, minus .MPEG videos. It'd make an awfully fast paced game if I couldn't do this.
I don't know about Tsukihime, but Ren'Py actually is capable of playing back MPEG videos, using the renpy.movie_cutscene function.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Holy

#7 Post by Holy »

Is there a way of putting the text in the center when using nvl?

EvilDragon
Veteran

#8 Post by EvilDragon »

Well I think if you use a monospaced font for displaying text (like in Tsukihime), you can freely position text with just adding spaces. I liked that in Tsukihime, the lines all over the screen in different places. Really shakes you up.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...