Miasma Trials [GxB][Fantasy][Sci-Fi][Free]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Ana
Regular

Miasma Trials [GxB][Fantasy][Sci-Fi][Free]

#1 Post by Ana »

MIASMA TRIALS

WIP THREAD HERE | ITCH IO | TWITTER

NEW WIP THREAD ABOVE (contains main sprites and descriptions), and other social media above.

Hello there! While I was working on another project for the past one two and a half years (which I hope to complete eventually, its script is done), another idea kept popping into mind while at university, so I think it's worth posting about it to keep track of what I have already. I intend for this to be a short story of around 30,000 to 40,000 words.

Updates:
The art style has been stabilized, and as such, the characters have been redrawn to fit the new style for a future game with the same characters.

Story and Setting

In the grounded world just below the sky world, otherwise known as the sanctuary, a dark layer of miasma creeps about. This miasma attracts monsters to the world and potentially attack the beings who live there. High levels of this toxic gas also cause severe illnesses which can fatally cripple inhabitants of the world. Thus, for almost a millenia, it has been the pride and duty of a fledging noble from the capital of the sanctuary, Zanqive, to come down to the grounded world. The noble goes to four altars to rid the miasma in the four main provinces: Hemlir, Jevrys, Farayu and Vaqir. Once a fledging noble successfully travels to all four altars and chants certain words, they becomes a true noble. This journey is otherwise known as the trial of miasma.

Protagonist, Miss Fortuna
Fortuna (name changeable) is a fledging noble that hails from the sanctuary. She's somewhere around twenty years old, give or take. Whilst being playful, she attends to her duty to undergo the trials of miasma. Overall, she's a tease and playful, but can get teased easily as well pretty easily.

Extras:

- Release: TBA.
- This game will be completely free.
- The age rating should be around 15+.
- The script is complete at around 35,000 words.
Last edited by Ana on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 33 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Trials of Miasma [GxG][GxB]

#2 Post by Zelan »

1. Would the idea of only two love interests, one guy and one girl, deter you from playing the game? Nope! I've played a few games like this.
2. How about only two (main) endings? Same answer as above - I've played a few games like this. I would focus more on the quality of the endings than the number that you include. c:
3. How many cgs should be in a game with ~20-30k words? (I'm really worried about this, because I don't want to end up making too many poor-quality cut-ins/cgs)
It's really up t you, in the end. Since this is a romance game, a standard idea would be an end Cg for each character (kiss CG is what would probably be expected, so it's your choice whether or not that's what you'll do). You might also do one or two other CGs for important moments. I don't think there is really an ABSOLUTE limit, but my recommendation would be no more than 5.

also im a sucker for tsunderes with glasses so i really like m

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Ana wrote: Premise:
A noble young girl named Fortuna is sent to earth to undergo a trial to neutralize the miasma that builds up in the world. She brings along her doting young maid, G. (name still needs to be chosen), to protect her from any possible threats.
Many people are after anyone who undergoes the trial, whether it's the military or traveling mercenaries.
When I saw the word 'miasma', I immediately thought about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. In my opinion, your premise sounds reasonably different from that story.
Ana wrote: 1. Would the idea of only two love interests, one guy and one girl, deter you from playing the game?
2. How about only two (main) endings?
I think it's okay if you want to include two possible love interests. If you want to focus on just one relationship, that's fine too. If you would rather not include any romance options, and just focus on the main character's attempts to finish her mission, that's also fine.

I'll say the same thing regarding endings. Think about how you want your story to conclude. Then create only the ending(s) that you consider relevant to your story.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying "avoid filler." Don't include characters or plot twists in order to placate your readers.
Ana wrote: 3. How many cgs should be in a game with ~20-30k words? (I'm really worried about this, because I don't want to end up making too many poor-quality cut-ins/cgs)
If you plan to sell your story, you can include some event graphics to illustrate scenes which you consider important. However, if you do not plan to sell your story, don't worry about it.

Ana
Regular

#4 Post by Ana »

Zelan wrote:1. Would the idea of only two love interests, one guy and one girl, deter you from playing the game? Nope! I've played a few games like this.
2. How about only two (main) endings? Same answer as above - I've played a few games like this. I would focus more on the quality of the endings than the number that you include. c:
3. How many cgs should be in a game with ~20-30k words? (I'm really worried about this, because I don't want to end up making too many poor-quality cut-ins/cgs)
It's really up t you, in the end. Since this is a romance game, a standard idea would be an end Cg for each character (kiss CG is what would probably be expected, so it's your choice whether or not that's what you'll do). You might also do one or two other CGs for important moments. I don't think there is really an ABSOLUTE limit, but my recommendation would be no more than 5.

also im a sucker for tsunderes with glasses so i really like m
Ah, I'm very excited that I'm not the only one who likes tsunderes with glasses. I don't think he'll resemble much of one in terms of the typical anime one, but he does have the equivalents of "It's not like I..." and the like.
Though, I do feel like I sort of push his romantic tsundere plot a little too much in the main story... Oops..

And also, yeah, I'm really focusing on quality over quantity with this. I think I have something else in mind rather than kiss cgs for the ends, but hmm, I do really want to write a tsundere guy's reaction to a kiss now...
Ahh there's so many cg ideas I have in mind... Can't wait to bring some to stage! (Am super thrilled for this!!)

Edit: I forgot to mention: Thank you for posting, posts like these help me keep motivated to actually finish (I have a problem with not finishing things, it's terrible! Though, I want to create something small this time around to complete it.)

Ana
Regular

#5 Post by Ana »

gekiganwing wrote:When I saw the word 'miasma', I immediately thought about Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. In my opinion, your premise sounds reasonably different from that story.

I think it's okay if you want to include two possible love interests. If you want to focus on just one relationship, that's fine too. If you would rather not include any romance options, and just focus on the main character's attempts to finish her mission, that's also fine.

I'll say the same thing regarding endings. Think about how you want your story to conclude. Then create only the ending(s) that you consider relevant to your story.

All of this is a roundabout way of saying "avoid filler." Don't include characters or plot twists in order to placate your readers.

If you plan to sell your story, you can include some event graphics to illustrate scenes which you consider important. However, if you do not plan to sell your story, don't worry about it.
Hmm, I've never heard of that movie until now, but now that you mention it, I think I'm gonna watch it...

Ah, I've started the script, and there's a lot of reference to the tsundere over the maid, I might shift it towards the tsundere, but I think I might keep the maid path open too (I really like the maid.. darn it)
This one is definitely all for keeping concise (I really like writing like this, it really feels so refreshing), so I think I'll just stick to these two only.

I've decided that this'll be free (I can't draw backgrounds at all :lol: , so I'll be relying on free material), but I think I might include one for each character at the very least.

Thank you for helping me keep motivated, this really means a lot to me
(With a vn that was at ~80k before and couldn't finish it, I think I need to make a small project and see it through to the end.)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

It seems to be the general consensus of most people on here that small projects are good starting points. ^_^ I'll be watching this one, it seems pretty cool! And I'm glad I could help to motivate you, I struggle with finishing things as well.

Ana
Regular

Re: Trials ★ Miasma [FREE][Gx G/B][DEMO] UPDATE: JUNE 18

#7 Post by Ana »

Oh yeah, I should probably mention that I ain't dead just yet.
And that some of the more significant CGs like this one will be done by http://anyubel.deviantart.com/ (Anyubel). The title screen will also be done in that style too.
Though, most of them will be done in my (lazy) art style ... Sorry guys :lol:
Besides that, I should probably update this and say that this is pretty much... a rom com from Marcis' path and kind of (terrible) drama on Gene's side, but not that much drama. I can't really write a good drama.
If you didn't read the first post's updates, the story is all done, just need all of the CGs finished and some of the fighting sprites. I think I'll try to get some detailed reusable cgs for them instead, as well as ones for each of the four trials. As for the CGs themselves, while it sounds like I need to do a lot, they should be doable in the course of one or two weeks, give or take.

EDIT: removed the art, as it doesn't reflect how the characters look... at all. :oops:
Last edited by Ana on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Trials ★ Miasma [FREE][G x G or B][DEMO] UPDATE: JUNE 18

#8 Post by Zelan »

woOAAH! This is slated to come out on my birthday! :D Too bad I won't have Internet access to download it... ah well, it'll still be here when I get back.

I adore all of the art for this. Like, ALL of it, by you and by Anyubel. I especially love the last screenshot of Marcis and the CG of him and Fortuna.

Also, rom coms and dramas are both great.

I'm downloading the demo now! I might not have time to play it before I leave for vacation, but I'll definitely let you know what I thought if I do!

Ana
Regular

#9 Post by Ana »

@Zelan: Haha, that's an interesting coincidence!
Though, I really hope to be able to have everything polished by then... I mean, from the demo, the GUI is the basic stuff from Ren'Py... I might try to figure out the coding for it. And gotta make sure to edit some of the script too. For anyone whose read the demo, you'd easily agree that Gene sounds... weird >_<
Once my exam for statistics is over, I plan on working at maximum capacity, and might release it earlier than expected ^_^

Ana
Regular

#10 Post by Ana »

Alrighty, the (lazily done) attack CGs are done!! Except for M, he has a second one that I still have to do, and tbh the current one is more of a placeholder, so it won't really be used. If I have time, I also want to add some actual duel CGs for a certain part at the end, but I don't know if I'll have the time or motivation to do it since I want to shift my attention to another idea. :oops:
A.K.A. I'm considering doing a prequel that's an actual otome game rather than a poor excuse for a visual novel that only has one option of each gender. I might do it next year or within the next two months depending on how I feel.
Also, on the note of the attack CGs, there's one more, but that's for you guys to see in the game. :lol:

Edit:
I have removed these CG arts too, because gosh, they're so darn cringey. :oops:
Last edited by Ana on Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Trials ★ Miasma [FREE][G x G or B][DEMO] UPDATE: JUNE 30

#11 Post by Zelan »

WolverGENE 8)

I'll see myself out now

Ana
Regular

#12 Post by Ana »

Zelan wrote:WolverGENE 8)

I'll see myself out now
That pun though :lol:

As for progress, I might have to extend the release date a few days after the tenth. There's still a few things I have to do and polish up (ie. Gene's CGs, plus coding), and my the joints in my drawing arm hurt after a certain... Accident... Which I could've prevented. Since this is for the most part a one woman project, so hopefully that's understandable :oops:.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zelan »

DEFINITELY be sure to rest your arm. You need your arm. c: Don't be afraid to take it easy for a bit if you need it - we can wait.

Ana
Regular

Re: Trials ★ Miasma [FREE][GxB] - AUG 7 - Redrawn Art Assets

#14 Post by Ana »

@ Zelan
I'm really really sorry I couldn't release it on July 10th T_T and sort of held off on the release date... I originally put it as that because I thought my irl friend would be coming back for the break to visit me, and that's when I estimated she'd be coming to visit. That never happened, so I sort of ended up delaying the deadline completely out of laziness and because I was trying to flesh out the characters a little better.
At the very least to make up for it, I can show nicer graphics than what I had before, so the characters aren't looking... hurr durr...
I think I'm really happy with how I have things now, so there won't be any more drastic art changes. Hooray!

~~

Also, as a side note, I didn't put this in the opening post, but there should be about 7-10 CGs during the course of the story, which, for a short story like this, is a lot. Some characters will also be getting attack CGs, like I posted earlier on. They'll be a lot prettier than what I had before, but probably the same poses.

CG progress:

2 are done.
2 need to be shaded.
2 need to be linearted/coloured/shaded.
2-3 need to be drawn.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Trials ★ Miasma [FREE][GxB] - AUG 7 - Redrawn Art Assets

#15 Post by Zelan »

Awww, it's okay, Ana! c: I like the new art style, Fortuna looks amazing! I love that CG, too.