Carpe Diem: Reboot [Romance][Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Eyzi
Regular
Organization: Moonlit Works
Discord: Eyzi#3994

Carpe Diem: Reboot [Romance][Drama]

#1 Post by Eyzi »

Just because it crashed doesn't mean it's over
SYNOPSIS
Jung's date with Ai ended with a hard slap back to reality. Ai herself advised him to move on as her life is getting shorter and shorter everyday. Despite this, Jung still wanted to be with her and he has grown dependent to her. Until one day he received a letter of goodbye from Ai which then changed his life.
CHARACTERS
BACKGROUND ART SAMPLES
INFORMATION
Words: ~50k
Theme: Romance Drama
Gameplay: ~3-5 hours
Resolution: 1280x720
Sprites: TBA
BGs: TBA
CGs: ~8
Soundtracks: TBA

PROGRESS
Story: 16%
Music: 2%
Coding: 0%
Art: 5%
DESCRIPTION
This project is the sequel of my previous work which has been released on Steam and have had great feedbacks since. I've received a lot of requests to make a sequel and here I am doing it.
However, the biggest issue I am currently facing is the fact that this project is much bigger than the previous one and I would need funds to make it, which is what the Kickstarter campaign is for. Hopefully it turns out successful and I'd also like to ask the support of anyone interested!
QUESTION
• If you saw the budget breakdown on the kickstarter page, you'll notice that the budget for CG takes up a third of the whole budget. It is the reason why the funding goal is so high. This is due to the fact that most CG commissions rates I've seen are about 100-200$ per piece, and since I will be needing at least eight CGs for the VN, the budget just goes up dramatically. While browsing other projects, I noticed that their budget for CG is only around 200$ (for ALL cg art already) which is significantly lower than mine. I was wondering if I'm missing something here. What is the actual average cost of CG per piece? What is the average/ideal number of CGs per VN? And do you think 3000usd is a reasonable budget for a 50k words visual novel?

Thank you for your time!
Last edited by Eyzi on Thu May 19, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

Re: Carpe Diem: Reboot [Romance][Drama]

#2 Post by Shinoki »

I haven't quite read the original Carpe Diem so I can't comment on anything that's plot related right now.

For CG prices, I'm guessing that instead of doing commissions, for big games, people might just outright hire someone to do the CG for them. I'm pretty sure that a lot of artists will give discounts if you ask for a bundle of stuff rather than just one at a time--it's like when you buy a set rather than just one of something, it's usually cheaper per piece.

Eyzi
Regular

#3 Post by Eyzi »

Shinoki wrote:I haven't quite read the original Carpe Diem so I can't comment on anything that's plot related right now.

For CG prices, I'm guessing that instead of doing commissions, for big games, people might just outright hire someone to do the CG for them. I'm pretty sure that a lot of artists will give discounts if you ask for a bundle of stuff rather than just one at a time--it's like when you buy a set rather than just one of something, it's usually cheaper per piece.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'm still looking for someone to hire as the CG artist. I've talked to my sprite artist and she agreed to do the CGs as well for the time being.

Eyzi
Regular

#4 Post by Eyzi »

Ai's sketch is now colored! I also updated the banner.

Eyzi
Regular

#5 Post by Eyzi »

Colored version of Yume, a new character for Reboot.
-----
Update on kickstarter stretch goals.

Eyzi
Regular

#6 Post by Eyzi »

We just got greenlit on Steam! 4 more days to go for the Kickstarter campaign.