Queen's Crown [Romance/Fantasy/Drama/GxB] DEMO UP!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Queen's Crown [Romance/Fantasy/Drama/Otome] DEMO UP!

#61 Post by Harliqueen »

YAY! I'm so excited :D Going to download it right now.

Major congrats on getting the demo up together, it's going to be amazing!

After playing- My word, it was seriously amazing! It blew me away, and I loved everything about it. The choices were spot on, the guys were great, and the story captured me completely! :D

1. Who is your favorite character or love interest so far?

I am seriously torn between Emry and Noah, but I think I am leaning towards Noah now :D

2. If you happened to check your attributes screen during gameplay, what were your stats like toward the end of the demo?

Mostly intelligence (about a third full?), with a little charisma.

3. Did the story hold your interest? Which part(s) was the most fun for you? If your answer contains spoilers, please use tags!

I loved it all! But one of the best moments that had me fully immersed:
The moment where you had to sentence Bianka was heart breaking and so well written.
4. Finally, what are your overall thoughts on the game, so far?

I am a complete and utter fangirl and cannot wait for the full game! :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

theshrimplord
Regular

#62 Post by theshrimplord »

This is gonna sound stupid, but..... where on the page is the download link? I've literally been searching it for 10 mins
WIP: Kingdoms Collide (fantasy, otome, gxb)

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#63 Post by Agashi »

@ theshrimplord:
It's not stupid. :) Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and look right above the comments section. It should say "download" and give you four different links. If you use a computer with windows, choose the file that says "QueensCrown-Demo-1.0-win.zip" If you need further assistance, you can also PM me if you want.

Also, thanks for the follow!

@ Harliqueen:
So glad you liked it! I've addressed those typos you sent me and the version that's up on the homepage now is fixed. Thanks again!

@ EVERYONE:
If you downloaded the demo before 7:00 PM central standard time, you might have the old version with one very bad, naughty typo. This has been rectified in the new version! :D Happy playing, all!
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

theshrimplord
Regular

#64 Post by theshrimplord »

Agashi wrote:@ theshrimplord:
It's not stupid. :) Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and look right above the comments section. It should say "download" and give you four different links. If you use a computer with windows, choose the file that says "QueensCrown-Demo-1.0-win.zip" If you need further assistance, you can also PM me if you want.

Also, thanks for the follow!
The page I initially loaded was apparently broken. When I went to "share" the game link, it finally gave me option to download. Strange.

However, I will say I loved the demo.

Noah is by far my favorite love interest. I was sad that we didn't get to know him better, but obviously I accept that this is a demo. Emry is a strong second for love interest. As for other characters, Jeisa is so lovely.
2. If you happened to check your attributes screen during gameplay, what were your stats like toward the end of the demo?
Combat was the highest for me, but I think part of that is because I was trying to court
Noah
and figured that may help with that.
3. Did the story hold your interest? Which part(s) was the most fun for you? If your answer contains spoilers, please use tags!
The story was very entertaining, I was sad when the demo ended! My favorite parts:
Talking with Noah. When he was saying goodbye and speaking of the kiss, I kinda expected him to give a full smooch!
Bianka's sentencing was... rushed to me. But I enjoyed it (even though I kinda saw it coming.)

I would love to play the full version soon!
WIP: Kingdoms Collide (fantasy, otome, gxb)

Agashi
Regular

#65 Post by Agashi »

Ah, you know what? The links were probably down while I was uploading the fixed versions. That might be why is suddenly started working all of a sudden. D'oh!

Thank you for your thoughts, and I'm really happy you enjoyed the demo! Noah is currently sitting at the number one spot, popularity-wise, so you should be in good company, I think. :lol: Also, your reaction to
the "smooch" made me giggle.

I'll try to mention this more often in future walkthrough guides, but the stats that seem to represent the guy the most aren't necessarily the ones they're most attracted to ;) If you'd like more spoiler-y specifics:
All of Emry's careful logic flies right out of his head when faced with a charming, charismatic princess, for example. Noah, who might be getting a bit tired of fighting everything all the time (hence his willingness to wear the title of emissary) is more interested in a thoughtful princess willing to share new ideas and thoughts with him. Teiran is a whirling dervish of a man who recognizes a strong, challenging princess as one of the rare people worthy of his admiration.
Some of that might seem arbitrary now, but I promise that there are very important reasons why these men would be drawn to those personality traits in particular. Reasons that become clear as the story goes on. BUT! like I said before, you don't have to play anyone's romance by focusing purely on that one stat. As long as you get the minimum stat requirement by about 3/4 into the game, you really don't need to stress yourself about it. :mrgreen: Haha... Sorry for the wall of text... and thanks again!
Current Projects:

camisteja
Regular

#66 Post by camisteja »

I liked the princess's interactions with Emry and I sort of liked the goofiness of Teiran as well. I'm disappointed that my princess didn't seem to hit it off much with either of them. Lol

Mostly intelligence.

Eh, the story seemed rushed and predictable to me but I just assumed it was because of the demo. It would be nice if the full game had more of a fleshed out story? Either way, I still had fun.

I noticed a few typos going on that should be addressed
not counting the "love letter"
. The GUI seems off to me, especially the text box with the empty brackets where I guess a portrait is supposed to be? Another piece of feedback is that the transitions need a little tweaking. It would be nice if the music/sound faded out instead of coming to a complete stop and I could hardly comprehend the character's expressions in some scenes.
Why is everyone kind of smiling when the princess comes in to report a potential assassination attempt? There are other times where the expressions don't seem to fit the narrative, which makes things even more confusing!
I think it would be helpful to somehow let the player know that a choice they've made raised a stat (unless it is supposed to be kind of secret). I found myself constantly checking each answer to see which answer raised what stat, if any. Other than this mountain of feedback, I enjoyed the characters a lot. The music was good and even the bgs were kind of fitting. Overall, keep up the good work. :P

Agashi
Regular

#67 Post by Agashi »

Thanks for the feedback, camisteja! I'm really glad you had fun with the demo. As far as the typos, you might be one of the players who downloaded the game before it got fixed. So sorry about the oversight! The newest version should be fine though.

The GUI will probably undergo some major changes before the full release of the game. Because of budgetary restraints, I used two different designers, and I know it kind of shows. :oops: The frame next to the textbox will feature the MC's sprite once that gets implemented, but I chose not to include it with the demo because it seemed like a waste of resources considering we'll get different sprites depending on the KS, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. :mrgreen:

Finally, thanks for your thoughts on the stat system! It really was an attempt to meet halfway between players who really like stat-management and players who prefer a more immersive story-only experience. I didn't want to shove the stats in the players' faces. Just about every dialogue option (aside from MAJOR ones like:
Bianka
) either takes away a stat point or grants one. Each bar on the attributes screen, however, consists of five points, which is why you usually don't see an increase immediately. Building a stat (training, studying, or visiting the village) does bump you up five points though, that way you have at least some control over it. :) Hope that helps!
Current Projects:

camisteja
Regular

#68 Post by camisteja »

Agashi wrote:Thanks for the feedback, camisteja! I'm really glad you had fun with the demo. As far as the typos, you might be one of the players who downloaded the game before it got fixed. So sorry about the oversight! The newest version should be fine though.

The GUI will probably undergo some major changes before the full release of the game. Because of budgetary restraints, I used two different designers, and I know it kind of shows. :oops: The frame next to the textbox will feature the MC's sprite once that gets implemented, but I chose not to include it with the demo because it seemed like a waste of resources considering we'll get different sprites depending on the KS, as I mentioned earlier in the thread. :mrgreen:

Finally, thanks for your thoughts on the stat system! It really was an attempt to meet halfway between players who really like stat-management and players who prefer a more immersive story-only experience. I didn't want to shove the stats in the players' faces. Just about every dialogue option (aside from MAJOR ones like:
Bianka
) either takes away a stat point or grants one. Each bar on the attributes screen, however, consists of five points, which is why you usually don't see an increase immediately. Building a stat (training, studying, or visiting the village) does bump you up five points though, that way you have at least some control over it. :) Hope that helps!
Thank you for the info! Everything makes a lot more sense now. Lol Best of luck and I'm looking forward to the full release of your game. <3

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#69 Post by Anne »

I liked Emry at first (so pretty! I wish I had hair like that!), then I met Noah and liked him as well (he seems fun)
That's too bad the sprites will be different, the current ones are really pretty.

3 Charisma 8 Int 1 Combat
Raising combat seemed like a waste of time, I mean how often does the Queen need to take part in a fight, besides it's the hardest to master in a short amount of time and her opponents would most likely be trained from childhood.
Though I have to say all of the education part seemed a bit weird
By the end of the demo I already ran out of important books and could choose whatever; considering the situation the country is in it's a bit hard to believe she has nothing better to do, I'd rather take part in the negotiations with Tawarians - maybe that depends on the choices but for me the delegation arrived and the next time I heard of them is when they left - or investigating Bianca - this seems the second most important issue by the start of the game still the protagonist pays it no attention until the stiuation resolves itself - than making bruises salve
I like stat-raisers in general and this setting in particular, great to see more of it, wish I could play the full game already!
The scenes with Noah as the conversations felt more... subtle? and that's always fun. Besides he seemed to like me :D

Not sure if that's already fixed
proprietor is know for

I had some issues with the GUI as well (even disregarding the textbox design)
It seems you can't get to the options menu from within the game only from title screen? (I think it'd also be better to rename the "menu" button, because there's no options button I thought it was it and the pop-up only asked me if I was sure)
The music volume bar doesn't affect music volume (the sound volume bar does)
The screenshots for the saved games look blurred
I'd preffered if the text wasn't so bold and white against bright red
History and choices look out of place but that I'm sure you're well aware of.

Now that I know each bar means 5 points I'm not sure the stat screen is at all helpful

How long will the final game be compared to the demo? (sorry if that was answered already)

reveris

#70 Post by reveris »

Emry! I'm a sucker for teacher/student type of relationships and it seems like Emry is the serious politician type you can tease which is also another thing I'm a sucker for. Noah is second place if only because I like the snarky options we can use on him. Also ngl for a second there I wondered if we could try to seduce our brother's widow but my mind is just too trashy and this isn't that kind of game haha.

4 Charisma, 8 Intelligence, 1 Combat

Hmm it's a good start, I suppose? I guess I expected more things to do for a game that seems like a romance/political intrigue thing and I thought
the plot with your brother's widow will have gone on longer but that ended pretty quick and a bit anticlimactically imo.
So to have it so short/not really as much politic-ing or romance time as I'd like, kinda surprised me a bit but then I remembered this IS a demo so it's not bad. Personally the most fun parts for me are the scenes with the love interests when you make them crack a bit like with Emry and Teiran.

As mentioned above, it seems like a good start! I like political intrigue style games since they're the type where charisma/int plays a big role and you don't need combat to be "strong". That said I wish we got to spend more time with the love interests or your character's mother, and maybe more time with Bianka
if only to make that one spoiler scene even more emotional/have impact somehow, because that one part, I think probably would've packed more emotion if we were to see more glimpses or hints instead of just that one scene to build sympathy.
Choice/Characterbuilding-wise, I actually wish that we had more cutthroat/cruel or at least pragmatic options because hmm...when I wanted to be morally gray the options weren't as pragmatic enough for me, and when I wanted to play an effective but cheerfully cruel despot the "evil" option felt a bit vanilla. Perhaps like...maybe add like the type of choices that seem pleasant but has a bit of an edge (eg: "I couldn't care less for orphans but that would make me seem like a "good" person so I'll do it", "I'll pardon person who offended me to seem benevolent but that doesn't mean I won't secretly do something to make them suffer", etc) or maybe just something like an "I love cake (lie)" or "I love cake (sincere)" type of thing to some of the pleasant options? That is, if it weren't too much more work since in that case it'd be much more flexible to play an evil style in a way that doesn't have to make them too obviously evil or grump/selfish/cold.

Outside the characters/plot/princess building, I thought that you might need to polish your GUI a bit since it seems all over the place, I didn't quite think the font fits it, and the save screen is a bit blurry when you save for some reason, but I see you're already aware of those issues from your responses in this thread so I hope it gets sort out!

In anycase, tl;dr, this demo seems promising and I look forward to seeing how you'll develop this! I would definitely consider supporting the game on KS if there was one up.

Agashi
Regular

#71 Post by Agashi »

@ Anne: Thank you for the honest feedback! I try to address all your points without writing a wall of text...

Art stuff - The sprites may stay the same if I can continue commissioning from one of the same artists. The circumstances have changed a bit, and - as everything else - the budget is a consideration, but we'll see. As far as the GUI goes, I was aware of some of these issues and don't worry; when I get the resources for a redesign, I promise they'll be addressed. :mrgreen: (If you are still accepting commissions, I may even come knocking on your door :wink: Big fan of your previous work.) Thank you for letting me know about the volume and typo, however. I'll get these fixed as soon as I have time.

Stats - I tried to clarify this in-game as you raise the combat stat, but combat measures a lot more than simply your hand-to-hand fighting ability. It also measures your ability to impose your will on others, battle-strategy, and overall assertiveness as a ruler. Also, please keep in mind, that the Princess has been taught basic lessons throughout most of her childhood. This is important with regards to the intelligence stat-raising because the game assumes that the MC would know most of the more basic things already. That being said, most of the knowledge she gains this way is supplemental to what she knows.
With regards the the more specific spoiler-y things: You can pretty much blame the Queen-Regent for not being allowed to take part in the negotiations or investigate Bianka. Haha... Mother is very protective of her baby girl and wants to make sure she's ready (read: put off till the last minute) before letting her daughter take such an active part in the affairs of the kingdom. You'll notice that the only times MC is allowed to make important decisions during the demo is by her leave. This DOES change though... and I promise that it will be possible to take a far more proactive approach to managing your kingdom in the full game.
So much for avoiding that wall of text. :lol: The demo covers a little less than 1/4 of the full game, with regards to playtime. From a writing standpoint, it's probably closer to about 1/8 or less. Once the consequences of your choices play out and you start focusing on one love interest, the game starts unfolding in many different directions.

@ reveris: Sorry about the late reply. I had to get away from the game for a few days... just for the sake of my sanity! Thanks for the feedback, though. :)
Also ngl for a second there I wondered if we could try to seduce our brother's widow but my mind is just too trashy and this isn't that kind of game haha.
Full disclosure: This made me laugh far harder than it probably should have.

Your criticism of the lack of politicking and romancing is perfectly fair. Initially I had wanted to include more of both in the demo, but I eventually decided not to for one big reason: story flow. There might have been a way to pack more in there without the writing quality suffering, but I didn't trust my ability enough to risk things coming off as too rushed or too contrived. I included as much as I could while letting events unfold in - what I consider, at least - an organic way.
I actually tried to do more with Bianka, but it came off as kind of redundant and made the outcome even more predictable. I suppose I could have tried to find another way to incorporate it, but it seemed like the effort would be better spent elsewhere, tbh.
Hmmm... I'll definitely keep your thoughts on role-playing/choice in the back of my mind while moving forward. The span of time covered in the demo doesn't lend itself well to being too obviously "evil," but for the full game, it's definitely a possibility. Keep in mind though, that this DOES mean more branches, more dialogue, more consequences, and overall, a LOT more work for everyone involved. :lol: But in places where I can do it without anyone coming across as too cartoony? I'll try. More role-playing is what I'm all about!

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS, EVERYBODY! Hope you are enjoying the demo so far!
Current Projects:

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#72 Post by Anne »

combat measures a lot more than simply your hand-to-hand fighting ability.
Learning combat was explained in-game as hand-to-hand fighting which made it an unfavourable option from within the in-game situation - and as far as I understand most of the stats come from choosing what to learn.
By the way is there a reason the stat is called combat vs for example strength?

Agashi
Regular

#73 Post by Agashi »

Er... the two lines I was thinking of were both spoken by the Queen-Regent.
In week one, she says “You, my dear, will keep yourself busy in the days leading up to the solstice. The commander and the ambassador will see that you are up to par in the areas of war and politics respectively.”
Then, in week two, she says “I've arranged for Commander Greyson to train you in combat, arms, and battle strategy outside in the barracks.”
The latter example leans more toward a hand-to-hand only interpretation, but I thought the former one was more clear. :? Its sometimes hard to explain in-game mechanics in a clear way while keeping the words themselves conversational. Sorry about the confusion!

I had originally thought "strength" might sound too much like a physical attribute more than a mental one, but I guess I'm running into the same problem with "combat." Do you think changing that back to "strength" would help make things more clear to players? And if anyone else wants to weigh in on this also, please feel free! :mrgreen:
Current Projects:

rosemirror

#74 Post by rosemirror »

So I loved this game a lot and literally went "Noooooooo" when the demo ended. All the characters were great and I was sucked into the story almost immediately, which doesn't always happen for me.
As for the title of strength vs. combat, maybe go with war? Since war covers battle strategy, arms, and weapons.

Aetheria
Regular

#75 Post by Aetheria »

I'm bad at explaining how much and why I like things, so I'll just put this up front: I liked the demo. A lot. The sprites are distinctive and quite nice, and while the UI does look like a work in progress, there's definitely a consistent color scheme/style in there that looks like it'll work well in a finished game.

Most importantly, I enjoyed the writing. The plot seemed well paced; I got a good sense of who each character was; and there were a pleasing number of choices with results that made sense. At the end of the demo, I was definitely left wanting more!

Also, this is going to make me sound like a crank, but I was super happy at how not-longwinded the script was. I've given up on a lot of visual novels because the plot is so. slow. and I just roll my eyes and start skipping, but I wasn't even tempted once!

I liked how the demo isn't that focused on the romances; I'm quite interested in those, don't get me wrong, but romances can't really be good without a strong story and this is one I'm looking forward to playing. It'll be even better if there are interesting/varied non-romance endings in the finished game.

Okay now for bugs/typos/critiques:

- On the very first screen where you're asked to input a name, it's not immediately obvious that you must press Enter to continue, unless you've already played other Ren'py games. A "continue" button or some text telling you how to proceed would be helpful to many players, I think.

- There doesn't seem to be a way to access the preferences screen mid-game, which I rather missed when I wanted to adjust the sound and the text speed.

- Speaking of the preferences, the "music volume" slider doesn't appear to do anything.

- Noticed a typo a couple of times where "dais" was misspelled as "dias".

- This is more of an expression of preference, but of the two contrasting styles in the UI, I think the one in the menu screen and the load/quit confirm screen is better. The style of the text box/attributes window etc. looks dated and kinda busy in comparison.

About the stats: Having played through a few times choosing different options, I do think the current names are too... specific? for the actual function of the stats. It's not immediately clear, for example, how being short with Jeisa or ordering harsh punishments for wrongdoers translates into a stat called "Combat". Intelligence and charisma are more flexible, but also seem to be used more broadly than you would expect coming from other games that use the same stat names. In short, it seems that the stats don't represent the Princess' skills so much as generally what kind of person she is - with her skills then assumed to be the ones that would flow from that personality.

So, maybe it would work to rename all the stats to be less specific-sounding and more descriptive of the protagonist's personality. Something like Charming/Clever/Commanding? Or "Calculating" instead of "Clever", although that might sound too negative. (I like alliteration, if you hadn't noticed.) Seeing those kinds of names makes me think of stats more as a reflection of personality/preference, rather than something RPG-style that I should be min-maxing to prevent the game slapping me down.