Without Sin [Murder Mystery, Romance][G/BxG/B] (Prototype)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

Without Sin [Murder Mystery, Romance][G/BxG/B] (Prototype)

#1 Post by MoonByte »

Prototype Download
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Q91 ... 0Z3QXJjbzg

Story:
King Obsidian is the king of Suendfrei and emperor of the empire that consists of seven kingdoms. One day he fathers a precious child that one day will take the crown from him: Opal.
When the long-awaited day to hand over crown and throne has finally come, Obsidian gives Opal a final decree: to find a spouse among the children of the fellow kingdoms, so that Suendfrei may gain a strong ally for the new era of peace. Everything goes well as all guests arrive with peace and presents in their wake.
That is until...the scream of the queen wakes everyone at night upon finding her husbands body lying in his own blood.
Who had done such a murderous deed?
Will Opal find the killer among the guests? Or even among family? And will a spouse be decided upon despite the tragedy that took place?
It is time to judge and be judged, for even Suendfrei is not without sin.

Characters:
Image Image
Opal
Opal was destined to be ruler over Suendfrei and the empire ever since they were born. By talking to the guests and making the decisions that can change everybodies lifes, it is in their duty to find out what had happened in the castle.

The Suspects
Queen Luna
The wife of King Obsidian and Opal's mother. She had found the body and doesn't want to talk to anyone. Is she hiding her murderous intentions behind false crocodile tears?
Prince Mawsit
Opal's younger brother. He supports everything that Opal does and adores them. Or does he really just aim for the throne that is behind Opal?
Lady Larimar
Crown Princess of the fishing kingdom Riposo. She acts reserved and calculative, was everything possibly planned by her?
Sir Andesite
Crown Prince of the hunting kingdom Raiva. He seems aggressive and hot-tempered, did he use his sword on the king?
Lady Poudretteite
Crown Princess of the gemstone kingdom Voglia. She was walking around the king's chambers at night, might she also have slipped into them at one point?
Sir Charoite
Crown Prince of the clothing kingdom Zilian. He acts playful and enjoys himself just fine, did he do the murder to amuse himself?
Lady Clinohumite
Crown Princess of the cultivation kingdom Glod. Her kingdom is known as being brutal despite the friendly outside, did she inherit those traits as well?
Sir Citrine
Crown Prince of the mining kingdom Tanlan. He is utterly unimpressed and seems not the least bit shocked, maybe because he was the culprit?

Game Features:
  • Solve the crime: there is a murderer among you and you have to find them. Was it someone of the family? Was it a guest? Can you even solve the riddle, in case it was you?
  • Dynamic Endings: The game features 13 endings, with certain events and choices leading up to a total of 57 individual outcomes. Did this character survive? Did you regulary talk to this person? Some endings play out similary, others couldn't go more differently and you can find them all.
  • Duty above all: if at least one guest survives the week, then you can marry them. There is no such thing as a bad time for a happy marriage.
  • Berserk Mode: Don't want to wait until the end of the week to end the murder spree? Just take your dagger and kill the one you suspect the most. If you are correct you win the game, but be aware that even the ruler of the empire will not go unpunished, if choosing wrong.
  • Ignore the murders and just enjoy a nice love life: Go on dates with the guests, visit them at night and just have a good time. Sure, they might die the next day, but why not live in the moment? Carpe Diem!
  • Do absolutely nothing: no, really. I am not forcing you to decide on anything. Lock yourself in your room and hope for the best, I am not gonna stop you.
  • Kill everyone: it might seem impossible at first, but you can get every single person killed in one round. Feel a thirst for blood? Murder everyone by the most unconventional means to rule alone at the end.

Statistics:
The game contains 42,322 dialogue blocks, 723 menus, 109 images, and 88 screens.

Random Informations (new):
So this is a PROTOTYPE, meaning, it's not finished yet.
The game mostly works, but there's something that causes the "natural" death of the people to be random. Sometimes they die when they're supposed to and sometimes they don't.
Since three endings depend on a certain amount of people dying, it is currently impossible to get Ending 1, Ending 2 and Ending 3. All other endings are possible though.
Please be also aware that it might be that female Opal has a few more issues than male Opal since I didn't playtest her as thoroughly as him.
If you notice any bigger issues, get error messages and the likes, I would appreciate to hear from them!
I will pick this back up at the end of July and try to properly finish it so you can get the full taste of mass murdering :mrgreen:

Random Informations (old):
This game is a "Game Jam" thing of my own. I want to learn Phyton and I enjoyed this idea so I decided to give myself a strict time limit and get as far as I can.
The script was done in ~ a week (I am only finishing the last few endings, everything else is done). I will give myself one week for the sprites, one for the backgrounds, one for the CGs, then will at least the 1st Version be finished and the game be completed.
This game is mostly my experiment at getting as specific endings as possible, meaning: the game ITSELF might feel repetitiv after a while since the characters will say and do the same things.
(Which is also why there are so many menus, I literally track everything that happens with variables to give the endings out as specific as possible, even if one doesn't notice any differences during the play).
I MAY rework on that as well (making the third date on five six different than on day three or actually having some answers matter in multiple ways to create even more endings), but that is currently not planned as I mostly want people to engage in experimenting to see if they can figure out how to activate at least one of each ending (as said, there are 13 general endings).
I have not decided on going all out on CGs yet, I only know that the introduction and each general ending will get 1-2 images (of course, each ending will have its own image, but the differences in the image will be as big as the difference in the text, so sometimes it is a small detail, sometimes a entirely different image). If I find the time and motivation, I may actually make images for each berserk, each date, each visit, etc, which would end with an additional 61 CGs (6 dates + 48 visits + 7 berserks). We'll see about that once the time has come for me to work on the CGs ;)

Time Table
Sprites:
till June 2nd
Backgrounds:
till June 9th
UI and Icons:
till June 16th
Music and Sound:
till June 23rd
Final Revision:
till June 30th
Prototype:
July 1st
Last edited by MoonByte on Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:46 am, edited 14 times in total.

Imprexia

Re: Without Sin [Murder Mystery, Romance][G/BxG/B] (script 1

#2 Post by Imprexia »

Sounds interesting~ Will be following this project; Your timeline is quite ambitious, but I'm excited to see it come out soon!

Schtranzen

#3 Post by Schtranzen »

Oh, murder mystery, my favourite. Seems like it's quite gigantic project.
It's great that script is finished!

I will follow the development as well.

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)

#4 Post by MoonByte »

Ok, so I can either actually finish the game faster than expected or invest more time in CGs and Backgrounds.
With the exception of one character, I have already finished all the sprites
(in retrospect not too surprising, I have only one pose and four expressions for each, but I still didn't expect it to go this fast since I am super busy with university xD)

Guys, meet Opal (center) and their six guests
Without Sin.png

Schtranzen

#5 Post by Schtranzen »

Oh, that's nice! It's good that characters are distinguishable by colour. It always adds some difficulty into understanding who is who when there's a lot of characters and all of them have exotic names.

Maybe it's not a bad idea to highlight character's name with their assigned colour? It would be useful in the situation when two characters discuss the third one (and the third one isn't here).

Upd: I love the palette that the characters constitute. And I see what you did there. It's very important to combine colours harmoniously.
Last edited by Schtranzen on Sun May 29, 2016 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoonByte
Regular

#6 Post by MoonByte »

Schtranzen wrote:Maybe it's not a bad idea to highlight character's name with their assigned colour?
That was the plan.
After all, IF I give every character the name of a gemstone, then I can also just color them in the regarding color ;)
And hey, everyones free to simply think of nicknames for them, if its too difficult. Clinohumite and Poudretteite are - after all - not that easy to remember (or type in my case, I HATE Poudretteite for that sometimes...)
And thanks for the praise regarding the color palette. I had spend a lot of time on making color schemas last term for my university project, so I guess I was still "in the flow". Not yet happy with Citrine and Clinohumite though, they look too similar (guess, Clinohumite gets a bit more orange-red to clarify that she's not just a darker yellow).

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#7 Post by Harliqueen »

That is quite the timeline you've given yourself! :D Though it seems like you really have a good plan going.

This sounds really awesome, and I'll definitely be following the progress.

Is there a reason you gave the characters the names of gemstones? (I think that's cool, especially with giving them the same colour palettes to match!)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

MoonByte
Regular

#8 Post by MoonByte »

Harliqueen wrote:Is there a reason you gave the characters the names of gemstones? (I think that's cool, especially with giving them the same colour palettes to match!)
You got it opposite xD
I first gave each character a basic color (the characters are based on a short story I made when I was 13 years old where seven characters had a deadly sin and color assigned to them, so I simply recycled the color) and when I planned out Opal as the character romancing everyone, I wasn't sure, if I should go for see-through or rainbow to make them stand out from the rest. And when you type "Rainbow" into Google, at one point you get images of the Rainbow Opal and found it GORGEOUS. I ended up browsing like 30 pages about gemstones and it just happened that I liked some of the names and then specifically looked for gemstones of all colors that look good AND might be a name.
Some have a quite cool look as well (Larimar was originally meant to be a darker blue, but the stone looks LITERALLY like water and Mawsit, Opal's brother, has a cool green-black vest thanks to his stone).

And thanks for being interested, I can probably show the first few screenshots once I got a few of the backgrounds done during this week :)

MoonByte
Regular

#9 Post by MoonByte »

Did the backgrounds, gonna work on the UI and menu now.
Added two screens from the beginning to make this thread more tasty :3

Also, I am gonna redo at least the sprite faces in the final week that I have given myself for corrections.
Initially I liked the simpleness, but I find they look...demented?
So yeah, those are not done :P

Schtranzen

#10 Post by Schtranzen »

Well, good job keeping up with your timetable! It's great that you include even time for rendering and corrections in it. It's interesting to watch how you manage this project.

Some observations. In the screens it looks like the characters are too far away. I think it will be more comfortable if they would "stand" closer to us and closer to each other (the second screen).

MoonByte
Regular

#11 Post by MoonByte »

@Schtranzen
Yeah, with the new UI, I noticed that as well...
I feel a bit troubled since I made the backgrounds accordingly to the sprite size (they look like they would ACTUALLY be there), but I guess, it could be forgiven, if they are a bit too big for the couch xD

Update UI
Got ALMOST done with what I aimed for (the title screen background isn't finished yet, so I'll add that to the CGs, I guess).
But other than that, everything's set. A bit over the top for even my personal taste, but it is my personal 1-month-jam and I am doing it alone and this is what happened, so if I can't find more time to redo the menus, then I won't (though I may edit at least the title screen buttons, they annoy me with how sensitive they are :P)

Title Screen
01.png
Menu UI
02.png
Textbox (background of the textbox needs to be less opaque, but that's easy and done in less than a minute, I just need to get to my job now, so I do that tomorrow xD)
03.png
Character Choice (who to date/kill/visit). Faces will be added once I reworked the sprites. Also my first time with image buttons, I had only worked with text buttons or imagemaps before. Holy shit, this is WAY easier O__O
04.png
Room Choice (where to go for the date/where to investigate). And yes, THIS is still a imagemap. But it works for me :P
05.png
Next is looking for music and sound, I believe. Not sure how to update that here other than saying that I am done xD
We'll see next week or so.
Last edited by MoonByte on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#12 Post by Zelan »

Everything's coming together pretty well - I'm excited for this. ^_^ Good job keeping up with your deadlines!

MoonByte
Regular

#13 Post by MoonByte »

I totally forgot to update, didn't I?
Haha
Well, have a look at some of the CGs (they're non-spoilery). Due to the strict time table and university, they are sadly not of the quality that I would have enjoyed (I had even considered making them look like church windows), but alas, thats the fate of some jam games.
I try to test and fix everything today and tomorrow, so hopefully my plan to upload the game on the 1st is still active (unless I encounter an issue that makes it unplayable, currently I have issues with the third night for whatever reason). But everything's going to plan so far, so I assume that the 1st July will be the day that Without Sin is done ;)
01.png
02.png
03.png
04.png
05.png

Arkhane
Regular

#14 Post by Arkhane »

MoonByte wrote: [...] so I assume that the 1st July will be the day that Without Sin is done ;)
\o/
Good luck for the next days before the release :3

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#15 Post by Zelan »

I really like the second to last CG! c: