Breadbox [romance/fantasy/slice of life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Breadbox [romance/fantasy/slice of life]

#1 Post by minyan »

Penny is a level-headed eighteen year old who has spent all of her
high school summers working part time in a little bakery on the boardwalk
known as The Breadbox. But when Penny's senior year ends and she
prepares to spend her last summer filling orders and enjoying the scent
of freshly baked bread, the manager Odette claims this year they need
to hire another part-timer. Penny dreads bringing in some rowdy teenager
she doesn't even think they need, but The Breadbox holds a secret that
Penny will soon realize she can't handle on her own. New friendships and
perhaps even romance will blossom as the relaxing summer Penny was
hoping for is flipped upside down. (insert fresh prince of bel-air reference here)

Enjoy a quiet time of fun in the sun with this summer VN- until everything
explodes up in the air like fireworks in the sky.

Brought to you by:

Keeping things pretty close to the chest with this one for now guys ;) So far we have everything generally outlined, working on fleshing out the story and such currently. Sprites are also underway, as you can see, though concept art for the main characters was done a while ago, and can be seen on Gourmet Visual's twitter page. Through June, Gourmet will be busy with a game jam, but production of Breadbox should begin picking up after that, and more info will be provided!

Main Characters

Penny
Penny is the name changeable protagonist who is probably a little too mature for her age. She can be uptight at times, and often ends up managing things in The Breadbox more than it's forgetful owner. She has a passion for photography, and enjoys working on the boardwalk so she can take pictures of the ocean when she gets off work.

Odette
The owner of The Breadbox, and more than a little scatterbrained. She's grown up with the bakery and would be content doing nothing but running it for the rest of her life. She has trouble with technology, but a love for TV, specifically what Penny thinks of as cheesy soap operas. In order to keep her affairs in order she'll often leave sticky notes all over the bakery so she doesn't forget anything. She has a fearsome rivalry with her sister, who is the manager of the cafe across the street.

Gale
Charismatic, cheerful, and someone who parties hard, Gale is exactly the kind of person Penny dreads to come work at the Breadbox. He's relentlessly flirtatious and seems to have something about him that draws people in. Despite his devil may care appearance he's very caring, even if he can be a bit dense at times.

Ryan
Looking at Ryan, it's hard to tell when he's actually paying attention to any given thing. He's quiet and his rather grungy wardrobe gives him an unprofessional look. Despite his seemingly lazy attitude, he loves cooking and has the capacity to be an excellent worker. Due to a long history of home-schooling he tends to be rather awkward around others.

Side Characters

Sofia
Sofia is Odette's sister. To the public eye she seems outgoing and very friendly, but for reasons unknown to Penny she and Odette have never gotten along, as long as she's known them. They're constantly sending each other nasty notes via one of the cafe's workers, Trish, who seems content to fuel the rivalry between them as well as the two businesses.

Muffy
Muffy is a quiet girl who seems to have some strange interest in Ryan. She's a singer who has recorded several songs, despite her outwardly, nearly painfully shy appearance.

Nicole
Nicole is Gale's ex-girlfriend, who he's on surprisingly good terms with. She loves photography as well, and Penny is overjoyed to find a kindred spirit.

Trish
A rude teen who works at the cafe across the street from the Breadbox. She's got a superiority complex and has no qualms about putting down Penny, or the tiny bakery she works in.

Specs:

Commercial ($10 USD)
2 routes, and 1 secret route
Rating: T
Estimated 60,000 words
Estimated 9 endings
Over 20 CGs
Original Soundtrack
Release (estimated): September 2016

This VN will eventually be put on kickstarter once we have a demo completed.

Progress
Writing:
Outline (rough): 100%
Outline (detailed): 50%

Art:
Concept art: 100%
Sprites: 12%
Backgrounds: 0%
Cgs: 0%
Gui: 0%
Logo: 100%

Music: 0%

Programming: 0%
The Team:
Writing: Averxxy, Minyan
Sprites: Oktolio
CGs: Minyan
GUI: Minyan
Music: Antelope
Backgrounds: TBD
Programming: Bai Yu
Last edited by minyan on Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImage

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Breadbox [romance/fantasy/slice of life]

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

Oh man, this sounds awesome! I'm really looking forward to finding out more about this :D Will it have a sort of fun/light air about the whole game?

I love Penny's hair, btw!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Two aspects of this project are similar to Caramel Mokaccino:

* The main character's (nick)name and age.
* A relaxing, upbeat story including romantic relationships.

I believe that Breadbox is its own story, and that it will be different. Just make sure that it has enough aspects to set it apart. If possible, provide information about the following:

1. I assume that the main character can form a romantic relationship with one or more people. Which characters might be love interests?
2. Other types of relationships: Will there be friendships, rivalries, family conflicts, and more?
3. What's notable about the setting? What do the characters think about the place where they live?
4. What sort of endings do you plan to create?
5. It sounds like this will be a worksafe story. What sort of content rating would be appropriate?

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#4 Post by minyan »

Harliqueen wrote:Oh man, this sounds awesome! I'm really looking forward to finding out more about this :D Will it have a sort of fun/light air about the whole game?

I love Penny's hair, btw!
Thanks! I hope you enjoy the rest the more we reveal :D
The beginning of the game is definitely fun and light, but the latter half gets a bit more heavy-handed on the drama. But there will be plenty of happy endings! ...And bad >:D

gekiganwing wrote:Two aspects of this project are similar to Caramel Mokaccino:

* The main character's (nick)name and age.
* A relaxing, upbeat story including romantic relationships.

I believe that Breadbox is its own story, and that it will be different. Just make sure that it has enough aspects to set it apart. If possible, provide information about the following:

1. I assume that the main character can form a romantic relationship with one or more people. Which characters might be love interests?
2. Other types of relationships: Will there be friendships, rivalries, family conflicts, and more?
3. What's notable about the setting? What do the characters think about the place where they live?
4. What sort of endings do you plan to create?
5. It sounds like this will be a worksafe story. What sort of content rating would be appropriate?
The name and age were completely coincidental, we weren't aware of the project when we were starting to develop Breadbox! We've talked to the developers of Caramel Mokaccino, and they don't mind the protagonists having the same name, so we've decided not to change it.

The latter half of the game is fairly heavy on fantasy elements, so while it does have an relaxing air about it, it definitely is it's own story! Once we have production in full gear in July more information and art will be added to this thread, right now this is really more of a teaser. Thank you for your concern and suggestions, I did include a few of them to the beginning post for clarity.
ImageImage