Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend [Yaoijam] Demo!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend [Yaoijam] Demo!

#1 Post by Heiden »

Synopsis
After being kicked out of both his PhD program (plant science) as well as medical school (Pathology), Dr. Frank had pretty much resolved himself to a life of solitude and science. That is, until a handsome stranger knocked on his door and swept him off his feet. Dominik seemed to be the perfect boyfriend, attentive, caring, and interested in Dr. Frank's work.

Maybe too interested.

Three months into the rainbow-colored relationship, Dominik runs off with Dr. Frank's lifelong research on resurrection to present at the annual prestigious Hindenberg University Conference, under his own name.

Livid, Dr. Frank decides the only course of action: Revenge.

Not only is Dr. Frank going to one-up Dominik's presentation by presenting the world's first artificial life form, but Dr. Frank is going to make said life form the world's hottest, most beautiful boyfriend.
EVER.

Characters
ImageImage

ImageImage
Concept Art/Screenshots
Mock-up of the "Build-Your-Boyfriend" screen.

Screenshot to show what gameplay will look like. Visit rooms and click on objects to interact. Will involve inventory puzzles and other good 'ole Click N' Point staples. :) The images in this screenshot are, of course, placeholders.

(Concept art of Dr. Frank's house,with the 7 visit-able rooms, Secret Lab, Bedroom, Study, Conservatory, Hallway, Dining Room, and Kitchen)
Features
If everything goes as planned, this game will feature:
  1. Customizable Monster Appearance. Make your very own Ultimate Boyfriend!
  2. Inventory Puzzles
  3. Hint System (Through Iggs, he will give you hints as to what to do)
  4. 2 Endings, with a few joke-y bad ends
The reason that I say "if everything goes as planned" is because I only have about 2/3rds of the major elements in working code atm. I'm really new to coding, so I'm learning a lot but also struggling a lot HAHA;;. Im going to work hard!!! OOO:<
Questions
  1. What character looks the most interesting to you?
  2. Are you interested in the puzzle elements? Or are you more interested in the story?
  3. Any additional feedback?
Thank you so much for reading! Im tired and will update this last part later with more coherent thoughts haha. XD
Last edited by Heiden on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend [Yaoijam][BxB][Comedy][Puz

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Haha, this sounds great.

Dr. Frank. I love his expression and he seems like he'll be a lot of fun.

2. Are you interested in the puzzle elements? Or are you more interested in the story?

I really like point and click type of deals, so yeah, I'm very interested.

3, Any additional feedback?

Nope, just good luck!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#3 Post by SexBomb »

Love, love, LOVE this idea, and really look forward to seeing it come together. Good luck!

What character looks the most interesting to you?
Are you interested in the puzzle elements? Or are you more interested in the story?
Any additional feedback?

I'm pretty into the rugged look, so I'm definitely diggin' Dominik. I am super into the idea of building my own boyfriend, though!

Very interested in both the puzzle and story elements. I feel like there is a lot of potential for both, and it will be great to see it executed. I am particularly excited about the humour elements. You have a lot to play with, here... I hope you'll do it justice.

I look forward to seeing this project come to life. This idea has a ton of potential, and is right up my alley. Best of luck in the coming months... may YaoiJam treat you well!

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

#4 Post by Avior »

This is definitely one of my most looked forward to games for Yaoi Jam! To answer your questions:

To be honest, Dr. Frank. I'm liking the cotton candy design. Although I'm also looking forward to building a boyfriend, haha.

Are you interested in the puzzle elements? Or are you more interested in the story?
I'm interested in both! I love both good stories and good puzzles so both together is perfect.

Any additional feedback?
I love the title too...

audrenes
Regular
Projects: Phoenix, Swan Lake, Kiss Me X
Tumblr: ajmakesvns

#5 Post by audrenes »

Probably Sylios. He has the mysterious vibe that I can't resist lol
I'm also interested in how the Monster will be in the story!!

I'm more interested in the story, but I also would love to see what type of puzzles you'll have in the game!

Any additional feedback?

I kind of really wanna fight Domink?? Like, if there's an option to do it in game, I'd most likely do it. (I'll 100% do it)

I still love that there's a customizable penis option for the Monster oh my God, it's probably my favorite feature so far, is that weird?

Also, good luck on the game!! I hope you meet all of your goals! ヾ(〃^∇^)ノ━☆゚.*・。゚

sorani
Veteran

#6 Post by sorani »

Dr. Frank! Because he's cotton candy XD
Cute sciency characters like these appeals to my moe radar ;'D

Super interested in both of them! Your stories are really good so I can't wait to play it while solving puzzles that I'm probably gonna be super bad at XD

Good luck! I can't wait to build myself a bf lol :D

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A

#7 Post by Heiden »

@Googaboga - Thank you! I'm going to work hard and have fun making this! :D

@SexBomb - OMG, that means a lot! I'm going to try to live up to that potential, haha! :'D

@Avior - Thank you! :D I ran through a couple of titles before I settled on this one, so I'm glad that this one sounds good!

@
audrenes wrote:I kind of really wanna fight Domink?? Like, if there's an option to do it in game, I'd most likely do it. (I'll 100% do it)

I still love that there's a customizable penis option for the Monster oh my God, it's probably my favorite feature so far, is that weird?
You can fight Dominik with ~SCIENCE~! Though I might be able to find a way that you can punch him in the end, haha XD

AND NO THAT'S NOT WEIRD AT ALL! That's one of the features I'm most interested into see how it'll turn out and how people will react to it, hehe :'D

And I forgot to mention in my main post (I'll add it in now), but the rating for this game will be 16+ for lots of potty mouth, dick jokes, and some mild nudity. You have customizable penis options, but no uncensored penis is ever shown on screen.

@sorani - Aw, XD Thank you! Hopefully the puzzles wont be TOO hard, but even if they are, you can also visit Iggs and ask for his advice. If you pester him enough, he'll give you the answer.
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

aviatrix8
Projects: Happy Ending? A Fairy Godmother VN

#8 Post by aviatrix8 »

Dr. Frank. I love nerdy characters, and I adore seeing them as protagonists. And like everyone else, I'm looking forward to designing my ideal boyfriend, heh.

A bit of both, actually. I like the light-hearted play on the Frankenstein/Rocky Horror concept, and I enjoy puzzles too, even if I am bad at them, lol.

When I saw the dick size option, all I could think of were the choices being Big, Bigger and Biggest, since I have a dirty mind XD (I know that wouldn't necessarily be comfortable, but I was wondering if the doc would do that just to make his ex jealous ;P)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#9 Post by Aviala »

This seems amazing! My fave so far is definitely dr. Frank. I'm really looking forward to the game - the point and click and customization options seem really fun! Keep up the good work.

UsaBerryHime
Regular
Completed: Destiny Voyage
Projects: {Destiny Movie}, [Stolen Destiny
Tumblr: usaberryhime
Deviantart: UsaBerryHime
itch: usaberryhime

#10 Post by UsaBerryHime »

I'd say cotton candy head! (and we should get some stain remover for that "coffee" ;D) Hmmm, but the EX is super... like, you know??! And how can I just pass up on the 'create your own boo'?!

I'm sure it will be a nightmare to program, but the puzzle elements seem really cool! Story is also really intriguing, so I'm curious where it goes!

Any additional feedback?
This is going to be so flipping amazing, looking forward to it! Good luck!!
Image Image Image

Oktolio
Regular
Completed: Heartbaked
Projects: Paint My World Anew, LoveLime!
Organization: https://gourmetvisual.itch.io/
Deviantart: Oktolio

#11 Post by Oktolio »

Oh gosh, when I first saw your idea on twitter, I knew it'll be great and intriguing! The character designs are really adorable. I love Frank's big fluffy hair.

Sylios! I want to know more about his "mysterious" side. I kinda want him to be a love interest too

I'm always more interested in the plot, but puzzle elements, if executed well, are a nice addition.

Any additional feedback?
Keep up the good work Heiden! It must be a hell to program and draw all the body parts, but the idea is so good, I hope you won't have to scratch it. Can't wait to play it!
In Progress: Paint My World Anew, Breadbox
Finished: Heartbaked

Heiden
Regular

#12 Post by Heiden »

Thank you so so so much for everyone's comments! (And I'm sorry I didn't answer them in a timely fashion aahh;;)

Yaoijam is over and I didn't quite finish in time, but I am incredibly proud of how the project is taking shape and hope you'll find the finished product as funny as I do! :)

My other long term project, Meryl & August, is being put on hiatus (again orz;;;) and I'm going to continue active development on this project. I hope to have a finished full game by the end of September!

My progress at this point:
The script is ~70% complete (just need to write the other ending) and will probably be around 20k when finished.
I need to finish drawing the other 8 interactable backgrounds and then of course code it all! (Harder said than done though, haha;;)

Thank you so much for everyone's interest, and I hope you'll give the game a shot when it's all ready to go! :D
Attachments
frankpreview.png
screenshot0164.png
prev.png

Heiden
Regular

#13 Post by Heiden »

Here's a quick demo for Dr. Frank, making up the opening scenes! https://heiden.itch.io/dr-franks-build-a-boyfriend
I have a few questions about the demo if you have some time to:
1. Do you want to hug Dr. Frank, or smack him? How do you feel about his assistant, Iggs?

2. Which penis did you chose?

3. What did you think of the music and sfxs?

4. Overall impressions?
(These questions can also be filled out anonymously here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform !)
Attachments
screenshot0210.png
screenshot0209.png
screenshot0208.png
screenshot0207.png

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

Re: Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend [Yaoijam] Demo!

#14 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

Lol this is so unique and awesome I can already see myself enjoying the heck out of this game. Checking out demo now
ImageImage

pinkllama
Projects: Plain, Haunted Heart's Mystery

Re: Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend [Yaoijam] Demo!

#15 Post by pinkllama »

Oh my lord, I'd play the living hell out of this game.

I love Dr. Frank, actually! Not only is he super relatable to me (aka I can understand being holed up studying all the time and wanting solitude), but also his pink color scheme and facial expression is pretty adorable. And the monster boyfriend...I'd like to see what that looks like.

I'd be interested in seeing both! I think puzzles and stories can be combined to make for a pretty interesting game.

Any additional feedback?
Good luck with your game! I really can't wait to see how this turns out. :D I enjoyed Elvine, so I'm sure this game will be positively great as well!