Developer Blogs?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

Developer Blogs?

#1 Post by KittyWills »

Hey guys! I was wonder how many of you promote your game outside the lemma forums and what platform you tend to use? Tumblr, facebook, twitter, personal website etc? A lot of people on this site seem to be pretty self contained. I also noticed a lot of people who do link to blogs tend to link to personal ones and not ones solely for their game/company. Maybe it's because most on here are hobbyists and I know keep multiple sites updated is a nightmare sometimes. I'm terrible at just keep my WIP post updated sometimes. lol

But yeah, I do need some more blogs to follow so if you do have one. Share it out! I'm also curious on how people run and set up their blogs. It's the web designer in me.

doodlemancy

Re: Developer Blogs?

#2 Post by doodlemancy »

I'm a total noob at this, it's my first game and I'm just starting to try to build interest, but I started a blog for Iron Company last month and I just sort of scream into the void whenever I feel the need. I like having a record of my progress because it keeps me from despairing when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

I promote my work at a forum that I co-administer, at another one where I am a moderator, and at three others. Several of the sites are adults only, so I won't post links in this topic. I don't have a blog. I do think having a blog is a good idea, for those who have the time to maintain it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#4 Post by Tempus »

It's not a development blog for a game, but I update my progress on StoryDevs on Tumblr. Here's a link to that. Eventually I'd like to have a blog on the actual site but for now I'd prefer to devote time to other things. I will say that making your Tumblr blog approximate the theme of your website is a pain in the butt.
doodlemancy wrote:I like having a record of my progress because it keeps me from despairing when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.
Yeah it's really good for motivation IMO, though as fleet says it takes time to maintain. I often find that writing a good blog post can take like an hour, especially if you're trying to explain something complex to an audience who mightn't be familiar with what you're talking about. In my case this was a recent blog post about display bugs on iOS devices. Was hard to think of an approachable way to describe the bugs without giving a dry, technical run-down.

Edit: actually added the link
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#5 Post by Dreamgazer »

I use tumblr as my game's website, wordpress for my (sparsely updated) blog, twitter for the occasional WiP, Facebook for the same thing as the last, and deviantART for my art. My busy schedule makes it difficult to juggle several different platforms, but I do the best I can. I love making friends, so let me know who you are and I'll be happy to follow you back. And if you have any pointers as a web designer, I'm all ears.
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi Subaru
Regular
Projects: A Very Important Date
Organization: Naïve Sprites
Tumblr: naivesprites
Deviantart: naivesprites
itch: naivesprites

#6 Post by Chibi Subaru »

We use a few different sites to help promote ourselves: Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and DeviantArt are our main ones. Tumblr is our main posting place, but we usually share the same posts on Facebook and Twitter. We've been slowly updating DeviantArt with some of our artwork for the game and merchandise we plan to sell at conventions.

Perihelion
Regular
Projects: The Devil's Broker

#7 Post by Perihelion »

I post my progress most frequently on my Twitter, but I am planning to start maintaining a devblog on our website and probably cross-post entries to various other platforms and websites, such as this one. Promotion is a lot of work, but I think running a devblog is a great way to keep people interested in your game.

Yomuchan
Regular
Projects: Codename: NSD!
Organization: Forkheads
IRC Nick: Yomu
Deviantart: Yomuchan
itch: yomuchan.itch.io

#8 Post by Yomuchan »

I just have a cruddy text document.

http://pastebin.com/gvWfKy6U

... okay, so I'm pretty much new to this developer schtick and have no idea how to actually properly DO marketing.

Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

#9 Post by Shagwrath »

Myself personally, I learned that if I spend a bunch of time promoting and building sites for my games that I lose steam and lose interest. It's too much to handle when you're just doing it to learn, as a hobby or still learning how to make games.

I do post pics on my personal facebook, and sometimes on imgur (not recommended)
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#10 Post by Vatina »

I mostly use my twitter for development info bits (along with random chatter), but sometimes my tumblr has art updates and wips. It might be more fitting for this.