Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB

#61 Post by Zelan »

It sounds like the writing especially is going well! Getting attached to the characters is always a good sign since it means that you know their personalities well. ^_^ Nice job hunting down free resources! That's something that I've never been good at.

Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

#62 Post by Impulse »

Hello! Is it just me or has it been ages since I posted an art update? Well... It's been a while, SO I decided to start creating my "unknown" female student. Some of you might have seen these kinds of sprites before, but some might not have, therefore I'll explain what's so special about this sprite.

Simply put, this sprite doesn't have an identity. As you can see I've blurred out the eyes and this is because I don't want the player to associate this sprite with one single person. Because it's not just one character, it's multiple ones. I will use this sprite for "unimportant" or "background" characters that won't have as much screen time as Mayumi and Ami etc. By using this "faceless" sprite I'll be able to make the game look a lot better and more put together because there will always be a person standing before Mayumi whenever she talks to a minor character. As you can see I've made two different versions of this character with different colors, but I'm planning on making two more with a different hairstyle (pose will be the same, though). I will also make a male student version of this sprite, as well as a grown man version.

That aside. Isn't this hairstyle so cute you just want to die?? I really like short bob-styled hair on girls and it turned out exactly the way I wanted it too. The other hairstyle I'll make will be pony tails (because every school should have at least one girl with pony tails!).

Question: Do you agree with me that this "unknown" sprite can make the game look better and more fun?
Last edited by Impulse on Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

Impulse
Regular

#63 Post by Impulse »

Finished two more "unknown" students. All in all they got 6 different expressions: neutral, smile, talking, surprised, sad and upset. I don't think I need anymore. I was planning on doing blush as well, but I think it looks a bit weird with the blacked-out eyes. I don't know. Maybe I'll try it again in the future.

Here they are:

Update: I changed the coloring of the blonde girl. She looks much better now. The screenshots show the old version.

And this is how they look in game:
Before:

After:

I will tweak their placement a bit for the final release of the game, but this is just a test shot I took.

Please tell me what you think. I especially want to know what you think of the blonde sprite. A part of me likes her, but a part of me feels her colors are a bit off. I also want to hear what you think of their size. I feel like I should make them a bit smaller, but I don't know.

PS. I know about the bad grammar in the second picture. I have already fixed this :)
Last edited by Impulse on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#64 Post by Zelan »

This is a really cool idea! Most other games that I've played just have no sprites for minor characters, but that can make it hard to keep track of who's talking.

Short hair does look really nice, especially the almost-but-not-quite-scruffy way that you drew it. ^_^ The blonde sprite looks fine to me, but as you know I'm not an expert. If you think something's off, I'd get a second opinion to be certain. c:

Impulse
Regular

#65 Post by Impulse »

I'm glad you like the idea, but it's not mine originally. I don't remember which game it was, but I played a game a few months or so ago with these kinds of sprites and I thought it looked really cool. They are really simple to draw (since you can re-use the pose and clothes as long as you change hairstyle) and I feel like it gives so much to the game.

You don't have to be an expert to have an opinion. I'm not an expert myself, haha ^^. But since I don't really like the blonde one that much I'll probably re-do her. I want to make her hair a bit darker. Maybe even black. We'll see :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#66 Post by Zelan »

Even if the idea wasn't yours, it's still more time and effort to draw even just one more sprite rather than leave it empty. c: You work very hard to make this VN good quality, and I really appreciate that.

Impulse
Regular

#67 Post by Impulse »

New "kissing" CG!

Yesterday I started making a new CG, and I can already see that it's going to turn out amazing! I won't show you the whole finished version (you can see it once I'll release the game), but I'll give you a little sneak peak of how far I've come. Just for funzies I will also show you the sketch I'm working from. The sketch it horrible, I know, but it might give you an idea of how the CG will look once it's finished. And, you know, in case you're curious about how I make them.

You can probably guess who it is ^^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#68 Post by Zelan »

*distant screeching* aaaaaAAAAAAH so cute

Impulse
Regular

#69 Post by Impulse »

Hello, sorry for the lack of updates, but that's really just because I have nothing to say. I've been writing and with all these different routes and branches it's hard to keep track of how much percentage I've written. I don't see the point in posting and telling you I've written 2000 words or 5000 words so... Yeah.

I still have some sprites to do, but they're not what I'm focusing on atm and I don't want to post anymore CG's because I don't want to spoil too much, so right now the only update I can make is about the writing and touch-ups - and that's not very fun! Therefore, there will be a lot less updates from now on, but that doesn't mean I'm not still working. It just means that I won't tell you what I've done every few days ^^.

I have also, sadly, realized that there are a lot more touching up to do than I first thought. I did find a few plot holes and things that weren't explained in my story and I definitely don't want that! I need to polish it to perfection and with all these different branches it's going to take a while to do. Therefore, I'm sorry to say that I won't be able to publish the game this summer. I don't know how long it will take, especially since I've just gotten a new full-time job and soon I'm starting college (will be working part-time as I study). I'm really sorry about this because I know some of you (especially you Zelan) were looking forward to playing the game. I overestimated my ability and even thought it hurts me to go back on my deadline, I'd rather take longer to finish a good game, than release a rushed one.

Again, I apologize for this and I hope you understand. As soon as I've decided on a new deadline you'll be the first to know, but expect it to take a couple of more months for me to finish it.

Stick with me and take care. And above all - have a great summer :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#70 Post by Zelan »

There's no need to apologize! Work at your own pace. And it's definitely better to give yourself more time to make a better quality game than to publish a rushed one. I can definitely wait for good quality. ^_^

ALSO I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I FORGOT TO POST but I played through all three routes of the demo! :D I was really surprised that I actually liked all of the love interests; usually there's one that I don't like (in Re: Alistair, for example, I wasn't a fan of Derek at all, I only played his route for completion). I was thinking that it would be Hiroki that I didn't like (I never really liked the popular guys), but the fact that he doesn't really enjoy all of the attention plus the artist thing he's got going on made me like him more than I anticipated! (I especially loved Ami's dialog in his route, I thought that "Romeo needs a Juliet" was really clever!) Ayato's route was cool, too - I'm a huge fan of love interests that take a while to come around because it's so satisfying when you can finally win their love. cx And Naozumi was just adorable, especially his second CG. I think he's my favorite at the moment. ^_^

I did find some spelling and grammar errors and the like, but besides those the writing itself is phenomenal. I really like your style. owo It's broken into three different links: One Two Three

Anyway, you have a good summer as well! ^_^

Impulse
Regular

#71 Post by Impulse »

I'm glad you understand ^^. I'll make it a good one, I swear!

And thank you so much for the feedback! I can't believe you took the time to write down all of the spelling/grammar mistakes - that's amazing! I really thought I had eliminated most of my mistakes and typos, but I guess I got a little blind after reading the same sentences 4000 times haha ^^. I'm glad you spotted them!

I'm also super happy you liked all of the love interests. I never wanted Hiroki to be the stereotypical popular jerk so I'm glad you liked him despite thinking you wouldn't ^^. I've always thought that Naozumi would be the least liked one (I was afraid people would think he's boring compared to the other two) so it's great to hear that he's your favorite. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right ^^. It's also nice to hear that you like my writing style and the dialogue.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#72 Post by Zelan »

Oh yeah, it's definitely good to have more than one person proofread. I found that out from all of the essays I've had to write for school; no matter how many times you read over it, there always seems to be something you miss.

Letitia_L
Regular
Projects: Up until the end
IRC Nick: Letitia
Tumblr: letigame
Deviantart: LetitiaLambrechts
itch: https://letigame.itc

#73 Post by Letitia_L »

Hoo I just saw the " kissing " CG, I just can't wait to see the final CG in Game :D

Keep up the good work ;)
WIP project
Completed project

Anyubel
Regular
Projects: Project Miasma
Deviantart: AnyuBel

#74 Post by Anyubel »

I didn't know if I should post here or on the demo thread but oh well :oops:

Anyway, so I played the demo, and at first, I thought I'd like Ayato the best, mostly because he reminds me of this character that me and my best friend made a while back. She still goes mad at me when I mention that character's name haha.

I ended up playing all three routes because even though I hate to admit it, I'm a sucker for school otome games. Also, I really liked your writing style and all three characters (which is rare for me). While I don't really really like Hiroki, I don't feel like I didn't like him either. I think out of all three characters though, I'm most excited to play Naozumi's route. He sort of gives me the feels from when I was younger and I just want to hug him (my gosh, I sound so old, but I'm not an old lady just yet, I'm still younger than Ayato as of right now)

There's a few typos here and there, but since the demo seems to have been out for a long while, they're probably gone by now. Nevertheless, it's super awesome, and I can't wait to play the full game!! :D

Impulse
Regular

#75 Post by Impulse »

@Letitia_L
Thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

@Anyubel
Hello and thank you for playing my demo :). I'm happy you liked it and that you played all three routes - and even happier that you enjoyed my writing and the characters! It's great that you like Naozumi since (like I said in an earlier post) I was scared he'll be the least liked one. I understand that everyone has their favorite and least favorite, but it's nice to hear that you still enjoyed Hiroki's route. Hopefully I'll win you over completely once you read his whole story ^^. Since I haven't gotten a lot of feedback from the demo yet I still believe there are some typos I haven't found yet, but I'll be sure to get a proofreader to help me before I release the game. I'll also closely look through the script myself before release. :)