Artist for hire [Affordable and quick sprites]

Forum rules
Never bump threads. Per rule 16, updates may be posted once every 2 months. Per rule 18, disclose generative AI use when creating/updating a thread. Violating these rules may led to thread deletion.
Cruseia

Re: Artist for hire [Affordable and quick sprites]

#16 Post by Cruseia »

Hi, I contacted you through email about a Kill la Kill visual novel project at the beginning of April/end of March. It's been two months since I paid for one character's set of animated sprites and I'm worried about our methods of communication, as none of the emails or private messages I've sent you in the past few weeks have received replies. I apologize for intruding on your thread, but I have no other way of contacting you.

Byron

#17 Post by Byron »

Cruseia wrote:Hi, I contacted you through email about a Kill la Kill visual novel project at the beginning of April/end of March. It's been two months since I paid for one character's set of animated sprites and I'm worried about our methods of communication, as none of the emails or private messages I've sent you in the past few weeks have received replies. I apologize for intruding on your thread, but I have no other way of contacting you.

I am in a similar situation right now, and have sent an email requesting a refund.

Byron

#18 Post by Byron »

Has anyone else paid in advance and received nothing? Because it has been weeks since last contact... and I am beginning to think that this is fraudulent. I can provide proof of payment and a complete email record of all exchanges if asked.

terrorchan
Tumblr: peachnu
Deviantart: terrorchean

#19 Post by terrorchan »

Byron wrote:Has anyone else paid in advance and received nothing? Because it has been weeks since last contact... and I am beginning to think that this is fraudulent. I can provide proof of payment and a complete email record of all exchanges if asked.
I hired this person on the RPG Maker forums and got nothing :'( apparently she got banned from that site, too. I suspect it has something to do with this...

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#20 Post by infel »

She's made some free stuff in the creative commons for vn devs to use, so I find it odd that she's not being able to keep up with commissions. Maybe it's too much for her?. Still this doesn't sound too good. It may be her email isn't working though. I hope she comes on soon for you three....Sorry about this guys...

Tip- When commissioning never pay the full price until you have proof it's being done or in your hand. Usually people will be okay with you paying half of what you owe up front and then the rest to them once the piece is finished. It's best never to pay the whole thing when you have not gotten anything yet.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

Byron

#21 Post by Byron »

infel wrote:She's made some free stuff in the creative commons for vn devs to use, so I find it odd that she's not being able to keep up with commissions. Maybe it's too much for her?. Still this doesn't sound too good. It may be her email isn't working though. I hope she comes on soon for you three....Sorry about this guys...

Tip- When commissioning never pay the full price until you have proof it's being done or in your hand. Usually people will be okay with you paying half of what you owe up front and then the rest to them once the piece is finished. It's best never to pay the whole thing when you have not gotten anything yet.

I don't believe that her email is malfunctioning, because the replies (all in the same email thread) regarding payment are replied to within hours, and they all reached me just fine. I indicated that lemmasoft pm's would be fine for contact, and yet no message. Do you think it would be okay to facebook message her? I really need peace of mind over what was over £100 as a commission...

terrorchan

#22 Post by terrorchan »

infel wrote:She's made some free stuff in the creative commons for vn devs to use, so I find it odd that she's not being able to keep up with commissions. Maybe it's too much for her?. Still this doesn't sound too good. It may be her email isn't working though. I hope she comes on soon for you three....Sorry about this guys...

I thought it might be internet troubles because she did send me a couple WIPs but I never got the finished product :(

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games

#23 Post by infel »

@Byron

Yes, facebook her. It's better to try. It's just an odd situation since she did reply here and even has done art in the creative commons yet seems to be not reliable in her commissions. I don't know what's wrong on her side so I don't want to jump to things, but it's good to warn people if something sketchy is going on.

@terrorchan

Really sorry =(. I wish there was an easy way to get the money back. Maybe talk to paypal (if you used them) and see what you can do. I think you have a 90 day back guarantee but I'm not too sure. Maybe check it out in case.

As for my own experience I suggest making a contract. It may help you guys out. I know it's tricky when people are in different places, but still you should try it. I know a few game devs who do. As for commissioning, never pay the whole thing before the piece is done. (note though if you have an artist who has experience with visual novel and proof they can deliver paying them upfront can be okay.)Like I said it's either best to pay half upfront and then the rest after they finish, or wait till the commission is finished and then pay them. If you choose the latter say to them they can keep the art till you pay it up.

These two methods help both parties much better. True it's not an 100 percent guarantee, but both parties have a better chance of being safe.

What might have happened though is she may be stressed with the workload. Visual novels aren't easy and can really stress people out. However it is her job to admit to that and tell you guys if she can't handle it and to pay you back. If you look for a new artist, maybe try finding someone who has done games before or has proof of being able to hold up to their commissions.

Patreon

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

terrorchan

#24 Post by terrorchan »

Yes I have opened a PayPal dispute and I suggest others to do the same.
I do occasional commission work and understand being overwhelmed, but this is inexcusable. I'm going to be more careful from now on for sure :/

infel
Veteran

#25 Post by infel »

terrorchan wrote:Yes I have opened a PayPal dispute and I suggest others to do the same.
I do occasional commission work and understand being overwhelmed, but this is inexcusable. I'm going to be more careful from now on for sure :/

I understand what you mean. Whether it be writing, art, music etc, the person doing it must keep in contact and be honest. I do hope she's okay, but she must get back to you guys. I do wish you the best of luck though and hope you find someone to help out. You'll find many on Lemmesoft are great help and creative. Working in teams can be fun even with the hiccups that may come.

Patreon

Current Projects

Byron

#26 Post by Byron »

Hi, just to let everyone know that I received a response on facebook,

"Hey I'm so sorry for this I will get everything done as soon as possible. Life is hiting me really hard right now and I just fell apart
I'm so sorry for neglecting my own resposiblities on this and will make sure to complete all this if you could give me the chance"

It seems as if she's been having a really rough time...

infel
Veteran

#27 Post by infel »

Byron wrote:Hi, just to let everyone know that I received a response on facebook,

"Hey I'm so sorry for this I will get everything done as soon as possible. Life is hiting me really hard right now and I just fell apart
I'm so sorry for neglecting my own resposiblities on this and will make sure to complete all this if you could give me the chance"

It seems as if she's been having a really rough time...

Ah I see. I hope she feels better and things calm down a bit. It's good she got back to you though. Good luck with everything.

Patreon

Current Projects

Byron

#28 Post by Byron »

Still no response... just that one posted message.

Byron

#29 Post by Byron »

Hi, I am wondering if this thread should be locked? The artist has been on her deviantart and facebook, and appears to be ignoring all messages. With the amount of art owed I do think there should be a mention or something to let people know on the first page of the thread?

Byron

#30 Post by Byron »

Okay, can someone please lock this? I have numerous screenshots regarding proof of payment on my part, and lack of any art on hers. I don't believe in posting peoples private details publicly, but if anyone cares to pm me I would send them the screenshots. She has ignored any and all subsequent messages on facebook, even though she has since posted updates on her life, and since PayPal won't refund me I am effectively out over £100.

That is a fair amount of money for me, and I am really, really hurt -emotionally as well as financially. So please, even if not locked, at the very least post a warning on the original post and/or front page that this is most likely a scam. Don't let others make the same mistake, please.