Looking for all kind of artists for a mystery VN [PAUSED]

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
cgdb

Looking for all kind of artists for a mystery VN [PAUSED]

#1 Post by cgdb »

Hi everyone !

I confess Ren'py is new for me, but I had this project in my mind for a long time. Let me describe this mystery/investigation VN : Project Phoenix.

The Story

In a post-apocalypse world, most people have lost faith in a brighter future. Hope is a rare quality that only a few people have. These people are sent to Aftermath School for Hopeful Students, one of the last beacon of hope in the world. There, the students learn to grow and share their hope to lead the people out of despair.

But this year, one of the students has been found dead inside the school on the first day. To protect the students, all the gate of the school are closed and the students are left alone until the culprit is found. But it's quickly apparent that the murderer is one of the students...

Gameplay

This project is heavily influenced by Ace Attorney and Dangan Ronpa. In the game, the player is Hiro, one of the Hopeful Students, and lives the investigation of the murder and the trial. Along with the classic VN flow, it sometimes features logic mini-games where you face the other students in a battle for truth.

Attached to this post is a technical demo which show some of the mini-games. Obviously it's missing all the art and doesn't reflect what the game should look like. It doesn't even exactly reflect the story.

Help wanted

I am a writer and coder so I have written most of the script and worked on the mini-games.

Here's what I am looking for :

- character artist : the project will probably feature ~6-7 characters with 3 to 5 poses, to be debated
- background artist : same as character artist, probably 3 to 5 urban/school backgrounds, maybe a school map, to be debated
- ui artist : the game currently features an inventory system and multiple HUD-heavy mini-games
- other picture art : the inventory contains pictures of every evidence
- music artist : exact number of tracks up to debate
- sound artist

The art style is up to debate, but remember this is a mystery/investigation VN, so there's blood and murder. The important thing is that I want the artists to feel free while they contribute to this project.

As you can see, even if I have got an early drift of the script, the exact script will depend on what the artists want to do. That means that anyone in the team will an ideabouncer if he wants to.

What I might be looking for as the project progress (please don't apply now) :
- voice actors
- proofreaders : English is not my mother tongue, I still make many mistakes as you see

Working

I need to be able to easily communicate with you, so I need at least a e-mail address. More direct ways to communicate with you (eg Skype) is a big plus.

I am not looking only for art or music, but a positive team. Expect lot of discussion for ideabouncing but no worries and no hard deadlines, we only must have fun working together.

Now, here's something very important, and I know there's the word "free" in this forum, but I insist : do NOT apply if you expect to be paid. I am truly and deeply sorry, I know it's wrong, but I can't pay you. I am sorry, I am doing this for fun, and if you don't, that's fine. I understand that you want to be paid for your work, but I just can't, sorry.

If you only want to have a fun on a mystery story and interested in this project, then you can apply by replying to this topic or sending me a PM.

Closing words

I am pretty sure I have forgotten some points, so please ask any question and I will try to reply as soon as possible. Thank you for reading this post. I hope you find this project interesting, even if you don't want to apply.

Of course I am open to any discussion and want to learn what everyone expect from me.

PS : I would also be happy helping on other projects as a writer or a coder, but I can't share a sample now since I usually write in french (my mother tongue). I guess I can help translating english-french too.
Attachments
Project_Phoenix-1.0-all.zip
Techical demo only !
(29.57 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by cgdb on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otoke_Neko
Regular
Completed: Touching Grass with Ain, STLP, Steamed Fish
Tumblr: OTOJANG!, Otoke Neko
Deviantart: OtomeNekos
itch: otojang
Discord: otokeneko

Re: Looking for all kind of artists for a mystery VN

#2 Post by Otoke_Neko »

I don't know about making 3 to 5 poses since I'm also busy with my own VN. I might be able to help though with some characters and the UI.
I can do some background depending on what you want.
I love doing sprites! :lol: And VN scenes!

My Carrd: https://otokeneko.carrd.co/

cgdb

#3 Post by cgdb »

Hi, thank you for your reply !

Thank you for your help, obviously your own project comes first for you, so no worries, I can wait. Since you're busy, I'll wait for other replies before I ask something specific. But if you have any questions please ask.

I admit I have no idea how much time is what I am asking for, that's why I said the numbers are up to debate. What's important is not what I want, rather what you're willing to do. I just want everyone here to have fun. Any style is ok I think.

Good luck on your VN !

dino1489

#4 Post by dino1489 »

Hello, I'm new here, but I want to get further evolved in the forums. I know a little (well a lot in some cases) about many tools for creating art. I'd really like to be a part of this and, at the very least, I can make some base art to be detailed by more impressive artist later. and while I might not be the best writer, I was pretty good back in the day. I can also help translating into Spanish later on. Ill pm you my Skype; if your interested feel free to leave me a message.

cgdb

#5 Post by cgdb »

Hi, thank you for you enthusiasm !

I am waiting a bit to see how this topic is received (and see if there are other volunteers) before I add anyone on Skype, but I am happy to see you're interested. Don't worry, I'll do it soon after the recruitment is complete.

Meanwhile if I can see some of your art and you tell me if there's something you want to do more than anything, I'ld be very happy.

TheWanderer

#6 Post by TheWanderer »

this post isnt releveant anymore, but since i cant delete it, i just leaved it like this.
Sorry. :)

cgdb

#7 Post by cgdb »

Hey, sorry for the delay, I'm a bit sick these days.

I'm working to expand and translate (I do my research work in french, my mother tongue) the character profiles, I will publish them here when they're done. I hope it will give everyone a better view of the world of this VN, but I will take some time. Thank you for being patient !

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#8 Post by Ferdokki »

Oooooh, mystery! My favorite genre! ♥___♥

I can help with inventory artwork! I'm not super great with characters, but I'm good with objects. =)
Further down the line if you need voice acting, I can help with that also. I can also help with proofreading when you need it.

cgdb

#9 Post by cgdb »

Hey everyone, I'm truly sorry but I am sicker than I thought and can't work on this project right now.

So I'm pausing this topic for now and hopefully reopen it when I'm feeling better.

Thank you for volunteering, in the meantime I hope everyone have fun on their respective projects, and maybe I will be seeing some of you back when I reopen the topic. Again, thank you everyone !