Children of Cosmos: Looking for partners!

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
GengaJupite
Regular
Completed: Solanaceae: After All
Projects: One-Eyed Lee
Soundcloud: gengajupite

Children of Cosmos: Looking for partners!

#1 Post by GengaJupite »

"We are all stardust…"
Who Are We?
Starfall Studios is a group of talented and passionate amateurs creating our first Visual Novel, “Children of Cosmos”. Our team currently consists of four writers (including a composer and a programmer) and an editor, and we are looking for character and/or background artists to round off our group and inspire us to greater heights! We intend our final product to be as high a quality as possible and we would love to work with anyone who shares our goal.

What Are We Doing?
Children of Cosmos is a supernatural romance visual novel very much in the traditional style. Our protagonist is a young man living on his own for the first time who meets an array of colourful girls who will change his life in one way or another – depending on his choices, of course. Accompanying our story will be background art, CGs, and music, although we do not plan on using voice acting for the dialogue.
The background to our story relates to a spectacular meteor shower taking place in the skies all around the globe once every hundred and fifty years. An old legend tells that should one of these shooting stars make it all the way to the surface, a single wish shall be granted to whoever touches it first. Of course, the stars rarely make it to the earth's surface intact, but there is one place in which they are known to fall more frequently.
This brings us to Leo – a high school student living in Turena, a town in the thick of all the beauty nature has to offer. He lives alone in an apartment paid for by his parents who work very demanding jobs in a nearby city, and like everyone in Turena he has heard of the meteor shower legend, but he considers it nothing more than a fairy tale for children. As summer approaches and the school year comes to a close, Leo makes the acquaintance of five girls he has never seen before, each of whom catches his attention for being a more than a little out of the ordinary. Over the course of the story his skepticism and disbelief are turned upside down as he discovers that these girls may not be quite what they seem.

What We Need
We are currently seeking artists (Sprite, Background, CG, Lineart+Colorists) specifically, but those with other skillsets (such as writing, GUI, etc.) are certainly welcome to contact us as well! Many of us are first-timers picking it up as we go, so don’t worry if you’ve never worked on or even read a VN before – it’s a learning experience for us all!
There will be a number of backgrounds and event CGs, many of which are located in outdoor locations (forest, lake, beach, suburb, etc.). Most of the BGs will need three time variations, and some may need weather changes, though our team is still in discussion as to how many of those we will need. Interested artists must be comfortable with drawing outdoor scenes and fairly detailed night skies.
To get a better idea of the quality we hope to achieve, here is a concept sprite of one of the characters. As of right now, we do not actually have any completed backgrounds, though unfinished concepts, ideas, and our current placeholders can be provided upon request.

What We Can Offer
As a volunteer-driven project, our goal is to create a friendly environment in which all members' voices can be heard, regardless of their role. What this means is a level of involvement and group engagement that each individual feels comfortable with. Members are also free to post work to their portfolios (though we do ask, of course, that spoiler-related material be withheld until later times).
In terms of compensation, our funds are existent but fairly limited. For further inquiry, please send a message directly so that we can discuss the specific terms of partnership.

Contact Info
Feel free to contact me at gengajupite@gmail.com or through Skype (GengaJupite). While I do respond to PMs as well, email and Skype are the fastest ways to get in touch with me. For any quick questions, leave a comment down below and I'll answer it as soon as I can. Thank you for your interest!
Last edited by GengaJupite on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

Re: Children of Cosmos: Looking for partners!

#2 Post by Ferdokki »

Question: How far along is your project? Like how much stuff have you completed so far?

GengaJupite
Regular

#3 Post by GengaJupite »

Right now, we're still working through the common route. Nearly all of the choice-based scenes in the common route are currently in the editing stage, and the common scenes just recently passed the halfway point. I've pulled the general stats below from our Ideas thread.
GengaJupite wrote:Stats
While these numbers are not exact, they represent a rough estimate of where we are looking to go with Children of Cosmos. As ambitious as it may seem for our first VN, each of our writers is/was active in the fanfiction community, all four having written at least one story of over 100k words.

Total Word Count: 620k-830k words
Per Route: 112k-154k words
Common Route: 60k words

Current Production Stats [June 9/16]:
Common Route Completion: 65%
Individual Heroine Routes: 0%
Sprites: 5%
Backgrounds: 1%
CGs: 0%

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#4 Post by Ferdokki »

Do you have any unfinished concept work for backgrounds that I could see to assess if I'd be able to draw the kind of style you're looking for?

GengaJupite
Regular

#5 Post by GengaJupite »

Sure, here's a few of them.

They were done in a painterly style, though that isn't necessarily what we're going for. These concepts are all lacking in detail that make the image pop a bit, and it'd be nice to capture that. Personally, I'm not an artist, so I'm not sure exactly how to convey what I mean in a way that artists might understand better, but if it helps, we're currently using K-After's work as placeholder. Those are, of course, very high quality, and we aren't trying to find someone who would be willing to do work as detailed as that for free, but we are hoping to give our BGs a detailed finish.