south korea "PIPA" and why it matters to you.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: south korea "PIPA" and why it matters to you.

#16 Post by Taleweaver »

Let me imagine a situation where this law matters:

1. I hire a South Korean artist for my next VN project.

2. To pay said artist, I get his e-mail address to use for PayPal.

3. I catch an e-mail trojan that sends my e-mail contact list to some spammer in Russia.

4. Said spammer now uses the e-mail addresses he has to harrass and possibly hack the people from my contact list.

5. The South Korean artist can now sue me for not properly protecting his PayPal contact data.

...honestly, what are the odds?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#17 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Taleweaver wrote:Let me imagine a situation where this law matters:

3. I catch an e-mail trojan that sends my e-mail contact list to some spammer in Russia.

4. Said spammer now uses the e-mail addresses he has to harrass and possibly hack the people from my contact list.

5. The South Korean artist can now sue me for not properly protecting his PayPal contact data.

Indeed, this is a plausible scenario! It's got me thinking-- maybe instead of asking for e-mail address of the artist, perhaps ask them to send an invoice to your e-mail instead? That way, you're keeping things in Paypal, I believe, so you technically can't be blamed for accidental information leakage in case your e-mail contact list is leaked and other similar scenario. Not to mention that asking for an invoice is a good habit, anyway.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

neowired
Regular

#18 Post by neowired »

firecat wrote:Every single time i have to go through this and people are ignoring it:
Perhaps it may be the time to consider the possibility that if every single other person thinks you are wrong, you may, indeed, be wrong?

Nah, let's face it, you are the smartest and most knowledgeable one, clearly everyone else is wrong. I think they are just jealous, and idiots, pearls before swine, why do you even bother? I guess the nobility of your heart and the great wisdom of your mind makes you unable to stop, even though they are all stupid peasants, against all odds, your fight for truth continues. One day, sometime in the future, you will make them see the light.
:O

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#19 Post by Rossfellow »

This is an interestingly plausible, although highly unlikely situation.

To be able to sue you, this Korean artist will need to be able to prove two things:

1: Proof that punitive damages were done. In the worst case scenario, he ends up losing money to unauthorized withdrawal/purchases, and he'll need to prove how much was lost. According to this law, he will receive thrice the amount lost.
2: Proof that you directly caused the leakage of information, or whether you were negligent in protecting said information.

#2 is an interesting one. Negligence by definition is the inability to do what any reasonable person would do in this situation. But when you suddenly catch a computer virus, and you have no idea how you got it, what exactly would be grounds for Negligence? Not having adequate anti-spyware?
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#20 Post by Taleweaver »

Rossfellow wrote:#2 is an interesting one. Negligence by definition is the inability to do what any reasonable person would do in this situation. But when you suddenly catch a computer virus, and you have no idea how you got it, what exactly would be grounds for Negligence? Not having adequate anti-spyware?
From the way the law is worded, it looks to me as if the legislators were going for the conclusion "if someone is able to steal data from you, then you're not protecting them well enough". So if something happens, that's proof enough it was Negligence.

Then again, I've only read the law in its English translation. No idea whether it's a good translation.
More about me in my blog

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#21 Post by firecat »

Rossfellow wrote:

This is an interestingly plausible, although highly unlikely situation.

To be able to sue you, this Korean artist will need to be able to prove two things:

1: Proof that punitive damages were done. In the worst case scenario, he ends up losing money to unauthorized withdrawal/purchases, and he'll need to prove how much was lost. According to this law, he will receive thrice the amount lost.
2: Proof that you directly caused the leakage of information, or whether you were negligent in protecting said information.

#2 is an interesting one. Negligence by definition is the inability to do what any reasonable person would do in this situation. But when you suddenly catch a computer virus, and you have no idea how you got it, what exactly would be grounds for Negligence? Not having adequate anti-spyware?
don't forget that this is south korea's laws not usa laws. i found many sites saying the same thing and yes they even say you can get sued:

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2 ... untry.html

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/dealing ... al-threats

http://law.stackexchange.com/questions/ ... m-overseas

http://www.chinalawblog.com/2015/11/you ... tters.html

so from these articles this could happen to you, this should be clear.

Extreme level where you broke the law and know it: jail

Normal level where you do business with South Korea on the net and they found that you did broke the rules:
1) same jail or fine
2) your account deleted / banned from Steam or site forever

low level where its confusing and somehow you are involved:
1) talk to a lawyer and win(?)
2) case drop

Anyway just don't give information away, keep everything safe. Steam developer have reported to sold games to South Korea people, its only a matter of time until someone gets sued.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#22 Post by trooper6 »

Firecat tends towards the hyperbolic and doom and gloom-y, which makes it hard to buy into. But let's say everything is as dire as firecat says, what I learn from firecat is that as an indie I should just avoid having business dealings with South Korea until they change their laws.

Side note: I lived in South Korea and the government didn't enforce a bedtime, I have friends in South Korea and they have never mentioned a government enforced bedtime...so hyperbolic details like that make it hard time believe everything firecat writes.

Anyway, a question: if you distribute through itch.io or Steam, can you embargo specific countries? Can you say: don't sell to South Korean IPs?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#23 Post by Taleweaver »

While engaging in discussion is welcome and perfectly alright, I strongly recommend everybody to retain a respectful and neutral tone when presenting your own arguments. People are more likely to listen if you don't sound as though you are dismissing every single word that comes out of their mouths.

That much said, please continue the discussion.
More about me in my blog