Sound Effects

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving music, sound, and movies.
EagleCicada
Deviantart: EagleCicada

Sound Effects

#1 Post by EagleCicada »

I'm currently working solo on a visual novel, and I need sound effects but have no idea how to make them. Is there any way I can make them myself (simple stuff like footsteps, shower water, wind, doors opening/closing, etc.). Is there anywhere I can find free sound effects like these, even for commercial work?

sugarsaw1

Re: Sound Effects

#2 Post by sugarsaw1 »

If you wanted to make sound effects yourself, all you'd really need would be something to record them with (like a phone with a voice recorder or something) and a way to get the recordings off the device and onto your computer (like the USB cord for a phone).

If you don't want to make them yourself, searching "free royalty free sound effects" on Google comes up with tons of results. Just make sure your use of them doesn't violate any of the websites' rules. Most of those websites have tons of choices for the things you suggested. :D

EagleCicada
Deviantart: EagleCicada

#3 Post by EagleCicada »

You mean like for example me recording the sound of a door shutting or the sound of shower water running? That's certainly not a bad idea.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#4 Post by Alte »

There is a guide to making your own sound effects.
Alternatively, browsing through a list of sound effects for samples. Each license varies. > viewtopic.php?f=68&t=27330&p=330183#p330183
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

LydianChord
Completed: Time's Race Against Time, KAIMA Bad Ending Gaiden, Abandoned Building Quest
Projects: Her Tears Were My Light, KAIMA, Mermaid Splash, Us Lovely Corpses (soundtracks)
Tumblr: LydianChord
Github: lydianchord
Soundcloud: LydianChord
itch: alexh

#5 Post by LydianChord »

In addition to what everyone else has said, if you want to generate your own generic blippy sound effects for things like menus, you can try SFXR. It can produce random sounds that fit several different categories, which you can tweak to your liking.
Things I've worked on:
- KAIMA Soundtrack (dark RPG with multiple endings, game by NomnomNami here)
- Her Tears Were My Light Soundtrack (NaNoRenO 2016, yuri game with time travel and cute artwork, game by NomnomNami here)
- Abandoned Building Quest (NaNoRenO 2016, weird adventure game with battles and chiptune music)

J-Ray
Regular

#6 Post by J-Ray »

I'm building a library of Creative Commons sound effects.
You may check it out here:
http://www.julianraymusic.com/sound/soundblend/main.php

greenjelly
Projects: Project Unmask

#7 Post by greenjelly »

My go-to for Creative Commons sound effects is freesound.org, which can be very useful especially with some sound editing tweaks in Audacity (audacityteam.org) if I need to re-time or pitch-shift things. Audacity can also record sounds directly to a computer if you have a built-in microphone or one that you can directly connect.

Yolo400
Regular
Completed: Lifted Dreams
Projects: ----

#8 Post by Yolo400 »

Freesound is pretty terrible in all honesty. Often the people recording don't stay true to *your* intent, it's better to pick up a recorder and go on outside.

Then low-pass everything.
Working on project "Lightning Cat" - Writing
music for sale
|| Thank you ||

PurpleMind
Regular
Completed: I contributed to 22 visual novels so far!
Projects: Kosmos Connections, Black Heaven, The Inn Between, Sugar Service, Driftwood, The Glass Coffin, Heart Agency
Discord: Marek Domagała#1778

#9 Post by PurpleMind »

sugarsaw1 wrote:If you wanted to make sound effects yourself, all you'd really need would be something to record them with (like a phone with a voice recorder or something) and a way to get the recordings off the device and onto your computer (like the USB cord for a phone).
Big danger in using this method is the quality of the recordings. If it's for your own project that you're not planning to release publicly then sure, but phone recordings are usually low-fidelity. A USB microphone/headset microphone would be a much better choice.