Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Baky
Regular
Tumblr: delicrieux

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB]

#166 Post by Baky »

I am so hyped for this!!! I played a demo a while back and I loved it so much!
Keep up the good work! <3

Junesong
Regular

#167 Post by Junesong »

This looks so good! I can't wait for it to finish ^-^

completelyaddicted21

#168 Post by completelyaddicted21 »

can't wait for this game to come out! <3

underbliss
Regular
Projects: Ebon Light
Tumblr: underbliss
Deviantart: Ahnna

#169 Post by underbliss »

Hi guys! Long time no update! (on Lemma, at least). I have been doing weekly updates on my website and tumblr/twitter, but I'm bringing this forum back into the rotation of updates~

The updates are every Friday/Saturday (usually the wee hours in between)!

@ Baky, Junesong, completelyaddicted21 and mysticichigo - Ahhh I can't wait to release, and I'm glad it caught your attention!!
@ AntiquedFae and Cat - <3 <3 <3 Thank you so much for proofing!!

Alright, updates:
Obviously I did not get the thing done by 2015, and I surrender to having no idea quite when it will be done. I am new at this, I don't know, and it's a big project, but I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!
For whatever that's worth!

Some screenshots:
(kinda small, trying to make sure they fit on the forum... you can find much bigger versions on underbliss.com <3 )
I've been messing with the codex lately, which probably isn't terribly interesting on the surface but I've got it workin' pretty cool now. >:D
I'm adding in a tab for a separate type entry in the codex, which updates periodically, snippets from the protag's point of view in addition to the typical third person type bio deal.
There's a very slight little addition you'll see in the new demo which has to do with a 'noise level', keeping quiet as you skulk around Duliae's house. A very minor little thing that amuses me and seems to tense people just a little, which is entirely appropriate >:D. The demo has been beefed up to over 30k words, which is more than twice as long as I originally anticipated.

The pink/red blob you see below the characters image in the first screenshot is supposed to be the romance status indicator, which makes it sound all fancy, when it's really just a little graphic that shows you if you're involved with someone, if they're interested, or if you've affectively doused out any chance of romance with them. I figured that would be handy enough for people concerned they had done something to irrevocably burn the bridges of looove. (I'm sorry, I'm making bad jokes cause I'm a little sick and loopy~~~)

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#170 Post by AntiquedFae »

You're welcome for proofreading~

And oh my goodness, beautiful, beautiful game screenshots! *O* The urge to play is powerful...
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

underbliss
Regular

#171 Post by underbliss »

- AntiquedFae <3 <3 I really appreciate it! Aha, thank you, I'm glad! Since the backgrounds weren't really anywhere near finished before the whole 'mood' is finally coming together... for me, at least. I doubt I have a particularly objective perspective.

This week.. less.. finished stuff, but I'm working on adding in the edits for the first half of the demo among other stuff pertaining to that.

Really early wip shot of a room in Duliae's house--where the protag wakes up!

And here is a (wip) picture of the nightgown thing she wakes up in, too!

Anyway I'm hoping the polished/proper demo will be out soon, I'll hopefully have more info about that next week <3

bretuile
Projects: Silverbark Willow

#172 Post by bretuile »

I am SO unbelievably excited for this game! 😁 I remember playing the demo right after I had finished Dragon age inquisition for the first time and completely falling in love with the story. Good luck with the game and let me know if you need a proofreader or tester :)

ColaCat
Veteran

#173 Post by ColaCat »

Woah! Looks really good! In love with Duliae's house. I so can't wait to read the rest of the script for this game, aha. ^^

underbliss
Regular

Re: Ebon Light [Fantasy][Dark][GxB] - Demo Updated!

#174 Post by underbliss »

bretuile - Thanks for playing it! Ahhh Inquisition is a beautiful game and I need to finish it soon <3 I'm glad you liked Ebon Light, and I'll keep it in mind when it gets time for the full game's proofing/testing!

I was very bad and obviously have not been keeping this thread in tune with my weekly updates; lemma seems to be for big updates, of which I will definitely keep on the ball with.
As such, I just released the new demo! It's much more polished and much longer. There are some things that are going to end up changed (namely some gui stuff) but for primary purposes it's a much more accurate representation of what the rest of the game will be like.
Another thanks to Cat and Antiqued and Kat for proofing. <3

Demo link is here!

bloodband

#175 Post by bloodband »

So I already reblogged the demo post on tumblr but I wanted to post my feedback directly here so you can see it since I wasn't sure what to tag it as. If people tag stuff as Ebon Light would you check the tag? ^^

Let's see how to start this...? First of all, all of the art looks gorgeous. I just love the painted look and all of your style. The different facial expressions really made the sprites too. Ernol's confused expression made me actually crack up in real life, and Vadeyn makes the cutest faces... Of course Lacey is still my favorite, but after this demo I take back everything bad I said about Vadeyn! He is adorable... his cuteness broke through my cruel cruel heart. Calipoa... so gorgeous... I love her too... The character creator is amazing, I'm so happy I can make a dark skinned MC! :D

I loved how many choices there were, I got a little too deep into roleplaying my character that I avoided even talking to some characters and then kicked myself later because I wanted to know stuff about them!

The UI is so amazingly smooth and discrete. It's probably one of the best I've seen to be honest. My only complaint is an option for bigger font? I have a hard time reading smaller text. I look forward to the compendium eventually!

Ahhh it just looks so amazing I'm looking forward to following the development and seeing it finished even more! :3

underbliss
Regular

#176 Post by underbliss »

Thanks for playing it, and reblogging it, bloodband! Yeah, I check Ebon Light and Reverie: Ebon Light!

Oh, my, thank you. I'm very flattered by the compliments to the art~ The expressions were fun to do but I'd certainly never done anything like that before so I'm glad some of them were a hit! Aha, Vadeyn the underdog struck a win, did he? He and the brothers seem to have won a few over in this demo ;)~
I'm really happy with the creator too, in the sense that people can make their characters more their own. I wanted that to be a thing really bad, didn't think I would be able to do it, and then... could!

Ahh that makes me so happy, I wanted it to be very roleplayish! That's what second/third/etc play throughs and save slots are foooor!

As for the bigger font, I'll work on getting that in. I did make the default on the small scale which probably really wasnt smart to do if I wasn't going to add in options to change it, so I'll do my best getting some size options in the game. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sorry you had a hard time reading the text!

Thank you for the feedback, I'm looking forward to getting this sucker totally finished, myself!

Bellethiel

#177 Post by Bellethiel »

Ohh. Really excited to try out improved demo. I loved the first one, so I am pretty sure I will like this one as well. I'll update my post after playing to write something more constructive. (:

EDIT:

This demo is such a great improvement from the last one. Customization, little in game mechanics, compendium... I feel like I am being spoiled! Game looks very complex already and it makes me really excited. Thank you for the hard work.

Aside from gorgeous character designs I am totally in love with the overall atmosphere created by the artwork. Toned down colors and lots of darkness made wonders (thank the elves for being in love with color black!).

I think Lacey is still being my favourite, but that's just because I enjoy seeing the though, hard to get kind of guys getting attached. If not for that personal preference I would have hard time picking up favourite character (especially since I feel extremely charmed by Ernol and Haron after the demo). Duliae triggers mixed feelings. I do not trust him~ Funny enough it made me more interested in playing his route though. And last but not least - Vadeyn. I think he's cute. So concerned about poor human, ha!

Do you know the feeling while playing romance visual novel, when you see list of LI's and there is this one guy which makes you frown? Then you are like "Damn let's play his route fast, to get to the good stuff later". Well... Nothing like that happened here. I look forward to trying out every single route. Apparently, I am having weak spot for elves.

I am definitely going to replay the demo just to try it out from perspective of strong, hot headed MC this time around. Oh, I absolutely adore the fact that I have the option to be diplomatic and gentle or simply shout into someones face. All the joy. <3

Thank you so much for your hard work, yet again! I am absolutely in love with this game already.

completelyaddicted21

#178 Post by completelyaddicted21 »

I played the demo and it was amazing!! It's definitely gone far since the last demo! I loved the customization part of it, and the characters were so lovable I cant even <3
I cant wait for the full game to come out! I have a feeling once I play this no other otome game will be good again cuz you've raised the standards so much :P
Best of luck in continuing this project!

meila_o

#179 Post by meila_o »

Tralala I'm happy I finally shaked off my laziness to write some words about this game! Yay!

So first and foremost, I absolutely love your art. I'm (sadly xD) the kind of person that is easily impressed but wow here I'm totally dazzled! *o*

I remember what really shook me when I played this the first time (and far more in the second demo) was this oldy RPG feeling your game has. Really, I don't know if it's the art, the atmosphere, the way the characters talk or the choices offered but I got a strong nostalgia moment washing over me (Baldur's Gate II, I'm going to play you again and again). That was awesome.

The demo has a good pace and everything goes on smoothly (really) but I wonder when will the lore be "ingested" (hehehe like some "spice") by the player. I mean, I can see that the MC's behaviour is shaped almost from the start (<3), that a good part of the cast is known, and the travel to Gha'alia done. I and totally dig the fact that the player knows as much as the MC (ie nothing, Jon Snow) at the end of the demo. But we don't even have a goal (except surviving? xD). So how do you plan to let some light on Gha'alia, the protagonist, the elves, and the PLOT if surviving long enough? Some updates on the Compendium as the game goes? Something else?

The premise of the story is good, there was no lacking in coherence throughout the different scenes and nothing too "unrealistic" for me (I sometimes have a hard time getting my suspension of disbelief to the fullest ^^'). The whole cast is pretty interesting. I admit I read your external notes on the NPCs but a player can easily be willing to discover them while only playing the demo.

Alenca (yep) is far too awesome. She can be witty, sweet, a tad b!tchy, well all that I love in terms of customization. xD I will love to play with all the stats. And the way the world reacts to it even in the demo looks promising.

I'm waiting eagerly to see what you'll come up with. Keep up the good work and take my energy if needed! :-3 Congrats on finishing your demo, and thanks to share your talent with us!

Question time:
  • Why is Alenca asking "Where it is?" when she is sleeping the first time near Vanya? Isn't this sentence copyrighted by Lacey? xD
  • Now that I remember there is a moment where Alenca speaks with Vadeyn and he has to explain twice that Calipoa is his cousin. Will have to search it. Tell you more later.
  • Why are Ernol and Duliae speaking English while Alenca is in recovery mode? Kind of bugged me. Or maybe she was able to understand for a moment as a side effect of her condition?
  • Gods, will we know what happened to Vanya? T_T
  • Are the NPCs (or even Alenca) risking an horrendous death if the player decides to make "poor choices" (that's not the term I would like to use but my mind is empty right now) or do you consider that any Alenca can fulfill anything?
  • WHO IS THE FINAL BOSS?
  • Why are you so awesome? ;-P
ROFL time:
  • Vanya: "Look at you, ready to slice a stranger in two."
    Alenca: "Proud?"
    Vanya: "A little."
  • Lacey: "Weave a basket or have some children, or whatever it is you humans do."
  • Calipoa: "I promise that underneath all the war and bloodlust, we're all sorts of fun."
  • Alenca: "You seem nicer than Lacey."
    Vadeyn: "Well, that's a comfort. Probably the greatest relief of the decade."
  • Alenca: "I don't play fair. That is not a concern."
  • Ernol: "Who are you? Why... are you?"
  • Duliae:"You seem to have discovered my Western Leatherback accolade."
  • Skylar: "As I understand Duliae's already sold your skull."
  • Haron: "The ghastly one is a better choice than that."
Gods this game is so fun.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#180 Post by Harliqueen »

Oh man! I finally got to play the demo for this (I was waiting until I had time to dedicate to it properly 'cause I was so excited for it!).

Wow! Wow, wow, wow! It's amazing :D I can't believe how quickly I was immersed in the story, characters, and the world. The whole thing was incredible!

I particularly loved the transitions between scenes, they felt really fantasy and suited the feel of the story.
Also, the characters were amazing, and I actually had a hard time deciding which love interest held my interest the most as they were all so appealing!

I am seriously so excited for the full game, you have no idea :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)