Heartbaked ♥ [NaNo 2016][comedy][GxB romance] + Guide!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
YourGeekGoddess
Regular
Projects: Bog
Deviantart: YourGeekGoddess
Soundcloud: YourGeekGoddess

Re: Heartbaked ♥ [NaNo 2016][comedy][GxB romance] + Guide!

#61 Post by YourGeekGoddess »

So cute! I'm downloading it right now. ^.^

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#62 Post by minyan »

neuropsy wrote:- Did you enjoy it overall?
Definitely! Everything, from writing, to the art, to the music, were top-quality and conveyed a light-hearted tone throughout the game. The fact I could redo choices in different days made things so much easier for me, and it's a feature I think more visuals ought to have.

- What was your favorite part?
I loved reading Ginger awkwardly attempting to compliment Benjamin's...provocative artistic ability.

- What parts could be improved upon?
There's nothing I could think of at the moment. The game was very well polished.

- Who was your favorite character?
Benjamin and his sheep. The moment I met a character who walked around with two cute little sheep by his side (I fcken love sheep), I decided that he was the one.

- Would you like to see more games from Gourmet Visual?
Yep! I'll keep an eye out on games made from you guys.

- Any other random comments!
Madoka Magica spoilers before (yes, it has to do with my random comment):
I was so heartbroken when I got Benjamin's bad end, that I played the instrumental version of the Madoka opening as I redid my past choices, pretending I was like some Homura. I'll go back in time endlessly if it makes finally making him love me!
So glad you enjoyed it! Yeah we didn't want it to be too difficult since it's a more lighthearted, fun game, so we figured have an easy way to redo things was the way to go xD Benjamin's whole route just makes me crack up every time xD And you're too kind, looking back there are so many things I think could be better ;u;
I hope you'll enjoy our stuff in the future! We'll have another game out next month, so if you play that I hope you like it just as much if not more :D

Also
omg, Homura. That's amazing xD
ImageImage

crystalscm
Regular
Completed: Suiyue
Projects: Scales of Fate
itch: tsukimii

#63 Post by crystalscm »

Did you enjoy it overall?
Yes, the characters and the romance was really adorable and well-written. I also like the combination of fantasy and using sweets; it reminds me slightly of an anime called "Yumeiro Patissiere", genre-wise and a little plot-wise too. It really got me nostalgic too with all those heart-swelling and compelling scenarios. Also, I liked that you used the characters' personalities to your advantage to create a comedic sense throughout the story.

What was your favorite part?
Hmm, I would probably say that I have two equally favorite parts: (1) Carver and Ginger talk to each other. Even though they still have a strong rivalry, it shows that Carver cares for Ginger too, one way or another. It's just in a way that's not so direct. (2) Radley and his germophobia. It was funny to read through his fits about getting himself dirty!

What parts could be improved upon?
Art-wise, I think it's very well made. The archetypes and the items work well with the storyline and the plot. As for the story, I think maybe emphasizing more abilities of elves in general could be there. I'm aware that they are elves from their physical appearances, but I think it would have been better for the characters to have some unique ability, or something.

Who was your favorite character?
Definitely Radley. His pranks always make me laugh, and his germophobe cracks me up. He reminds me of my most favorite character from a visual novel I play often! However, I also love Carver. Yes, he's a gigantic jerk, but deep inside, he actually has another side to him, and it's just adorable as it develops.

Would you like to see more games from Gourmet Visual?
Sure, why not! I was always into sweets and fantasy too. It's the reason I downloaded the game in the first place.

Any other random comments!
Haha, if I could I would help contribute (writing, editing, etc.) in your future games, as I'm supportive of you all at this point! Either way, good luck on your next game. See you around

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#64 Post by Ran08 »

Did you enjoy it overall?
YES. :") The story is pretty good, the characters are all nice and quirky (but Carver, hmm... I dunno, I haven't done his route yet!) and the art is super cute. How can I not enjoy something like this?

PART OF THE STORY? I CAN'T PICK. PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS. =)) Ah, but my favorite part of the whole VN is... the GUI! It's really well-made. And of course, it's cute too, perfect for this VN!

Some of the backgrounds, especially the ones used for outside scenes, don't seem as well-made as the inside ones. Also, the writing at the very start was quite... awkward? I can't put my finger on what feels off exactly. I think it has something to do with the verb tenses and also the wording. (Take note: I'm not a native speaker of English, though I've been speaking, reading, hearing it since I was a wee child so... I guess, technically I am? Hahaha, I don't know. I can't explain how exactly I thought the wording was awkward, just that it is. Sorry, I've never been good at grammar. Hahaha.)

Radley! He's a cutie. Hahaha. At first, I loved Benjamin more-- or should I say, Beeeenjamin? =) He's so adorable! I like his route too, though it's more funny and cute than romantic.

YES. Hopefully the next one has something to do with baking, as well! <3 As a hobby baker, I'd definitely appreciate that!

Thank you for this super cute and fluffy game! Please make more! Hahaha.
Oh, and... shameless plug: I actually wrote a review about this on my blog!

kittenbot

#65 Post by kittenbot »

- Did you enjoy it overall?
A lot! You see, I'm very shy when it comes to interacting in forums and posting my opinion about stuff online, but I decided to post - for the very first time! - here just to compliment this game. It has been some time since the last otome game I played, but Heartbaked made me feel as if I was thirteen once again, blushing because of 2d boys, hahaha. I don't really know how to convey this into words... even though I considered it very short, it made me feel warm inside. It was a very nice experience, very sweet and light-hearted.

The art! Ginger is so beautiful, and the backgrounds! I'm a really bad at drawing so when I first saw those backgrounds I could only wonder how much time those scenaries took to be made. They are truly so beautiful.

I noticed this little bug in which Radley calls you Ging even though you chose another name and some typos, specially on Carver's route. As someone said before, I think that, at least when compared to the art in the rest of the game, the CGs weren't so good. But none of those things affect my experience that much, and I'd say they are only details. I really enjoyed Heartbaked.

I can't choooose!!! :-( I love all of them so much, I swear.

Of course! I'm looking forward to them!

I went for Radley's route first and it kind of changed my whole experience with the game. When I got the other guys' good endings, I always thought about
how much Radley loves Ginger
and felt soooo guilty!
When he says "Tell him how you feel before it's too late" in the end of Carver's route...
It broke my heart. I was kind of narrating the game to my boyfriend while I played it, and when I finished Benjamin's route, my second one, I sent him 10+ texts telling him "I think I will have a stroke" and "I can't belive I have betrayed my boyfriend" etc etc. I think I may have fallen for Radley, hahaha.

memeleaker

#66 Post by memeleaker »

not gonna lie, was on a spree for a bunch of otome games bc i'm a sentimental piece of tsundere trash who has nothing (and no one, unfortunately) better to do and this game was so sweet holyyyy shiiit. signed up just to comment on this and so honored to have this as my first post. i still need to finish up the route of... forgot his name, started with the letter c and was a vry cute elf-boy as well. but just played the first two, radley first and benjamin second and i'm crying bc both guys were so sweet, kind of wishing i did benjamin last because he was such a...

don't wanna spoil, hehe, but <3 - GOSH so lovable and such a sweetie pie too. (haha doesn't help that i ate shepard's pie just a bit after making this post but)

for a game labeled as a comedy, it was a lot less one-dimensional than i originally deemed it to be which i'm really proud of ya for. the graphics were extremely light-hearted, with the color scheme being extremely fitting (it was one of the first "components" that drew me in and if it was the only positive to this game, i think it'd still be pretty great). the running-gags involved (think that's what you'd call them) like "pastry god" and the main character's "cheeky language" managed to get a few laughs out of me as well, heh.

but yeah, don't really know what more to say.

hopefully, tsundere-elf dude will take the... cake... for me.
haha get it bc... cake... it's a pastry, + tsundere-elf dude is the rival and he's already scrutinizing my recipes in the intro so
(nvm) - taking up so much space now damn it, but i'll hopefully get back to this post soon after i finish this guy's path. but for now, off to sleeep!! (andnotwiththefictionalcharactersinthisgameohwell)

Workingdrag13

#67 Post by Workingdrag13 »

I haven't finished this game yet but it is loads of laughs and all the boys are cute!. I am struggling to get a certain ending though and need some help.
How do you get Ending 4? Randy's first bad end? I'm using the guide and even though i'm choosing the black choices it will still go to the next day. I'm so confused.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

#68 Post by minyan »

Workingdrag13 wrote:I haven't finished this game yet but it is loads of laughs and all the boys are cute!. I am struggling to get a certain ending though and need some help.
How do you get Ending 4? Randy's first bad end? I'm using the guide and even though i'm choosing the black choices it will still go to the next day. I'm so confused.
Hmm, this may be a bug in the game! I'll check it out and let you know :D
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#69 Post by minyan »

minyan wrote:
Workingdrag13 wrote:I haven't finished this game yet but it is loads of laughs and all the boys are cute!. I am struggling to get a certain ending though and need some help.
Hmm, this may be a bug in the game! I'll check it out and let you know :D
memeleaker wrote:not gonna lie, was on a spree for a bunch of otome games bc i'm a sentimental piece of tsundere trash who has nothing (and no one, unfortunately) better to do and this game was so sweet holyyyy shiiit. signed up just to comment on this and so honored to have this as my first post. i still need to finish up the route of... forgot his name, started with the letter c and was a vry cute elf-boy as well. but just played the first two, radley first and benjamin second and i'm crying bc both guys were so sweet, kind of wishing i did benjamin last because he was such a...

don't wanna spoil, hehe, but <3 - GOSH so lovable and such a sweetie pie too. (haha doesn't help that i ate shepard's pie just a bit after making this post but)

for a game labeled as a comedy, it was a lot less one-dimensional than i originally deemed it to be which i'm really proud of ya for. the graphics were extremely light-hearted, with the color scheme being extremely fitting (it was one of the first "components" that drew me in and if it was the only positive to this game, i think it'd still be pretty great). the running-gags involved (think that's what you'd call them) like "pastry god" and the main character's "cheeky language" managed to get a few laughs out of me as well, heh.

but yeah, don't really know what more to say.

hopefully, tsundere-elf dude will take the... cake... for me.
haha get it bc... cake... it's a pastry, + tsundere-elf dude is the rival and he's already scrutinizing my recipes in the intro so
(nvm) - taking up so much space now damn it, but i'll hopefully get back to this post soon after i finish this guy's path. but for now, off to sleeep!! (andnotwiththefictionalcharactersinthisgameohwell)
I'm glad you enjoyed the game! Yes, Benjamin is so adorable xD I'm pretty sure there's a bug in Radley's route so I'll work that out and post an update!

kittenbot wrote:- Did you enjoy it overall?
A lot! You see, I'm very shy when it comes to interacting in forums and posting my opinion about stuff online, but I decided to post - for the very first time! - here just to compliment this game. It has been some time since the last otome game I played, but Heartbaked made me feel as if I was thirteen once again, blushing because of 2d boys, hahaha. I don't really know how to convey this into words... even though I considered it very short, it made me feel warm inside. It was a very nice experience, very sweet and light-hearted.

The art! Ginger is so beautiful, and the backgrounds! I'm a really bad at drawing so when I first saw those backgrounds I could only wonder how much time those scenaries took to be made. They are truly so beautiful.

I noticed this little bug in which Radley calls you Ging even though you chose another name and some typos, specially on Carver's route. As someone said before, I think that, at least when compared to the art in the rest of the game, the CGs weren't so good. But none of those things affect my experience that much, and I'd say they are only details. I really enjoyed Heartbaked.

I can't choooose!!! :-( I love all of them so much, I swear.

Of course! I'm looking forward to them!

I went for Radley's route first and it kind of changed my whole experience with the game. When I got the other guys' good endings, I always thought about
how much Radley loves Ginger
and felt soooo guilty!
When he says "Tell him how you feel before it's too late" in the end of Carver's route...
It broke my heart. I was kind of narrating the game to my boyfriend while I played it, and when I finished Benjamin's route, my second one, I sent him 10+ texts telling him "I think I will have a stroke" and "I can't belive I have betrayed my boyfriend" etc etc. I think I may have fallen for Radley, hahaha.
I knoooow Radley's life is so tragic. His route really needs to be played last xD I'm glad you enjoyed it though haha.

Ran08 wrote:Did you enjoy it overall?
YES. :") The story is pretty good, the characters are all nice and quirky (but Carver, hmm... I dunno, I haven't done his route yet!) and the art is super cute. How can I not enjoy something like this?

PART OF THE STORY? I CAN'T PICK. PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME DO THIS. =)) Ah, but my favorite part of the whole VN is... the GUI! It's really well-made. And of course, it's cute too, perfect for this VN!

Some of the backgrounds, especially the ones used for outside scenes, don't seem as well-made as the inside ones. Also, the writing at the very start was quite... awkward? I can't put my finger on what feels off exactly. I think it has something to do with the verb tenses and also the wording. (Take note: I'm not a native speaker of English, though I've been speaking, reading, hearing it since I was a wee child so... I guess, technically I am? Hahaha, I don't know. I can't explain how exactly I thought the wording was awkward, just that it is. Sorry, I've never been good at grammar. Hahaha.)

Radley! He's a cutie. Hahaha. At first, I loved Benjamin more-- or should I say, Beeeenjamin? =) He's so adorable! I like his route too, though it's more funny and cute than romantic.

YES. Hopefully the next one has something to do with baking, as well! <3 As a hobby baker, I'd definitely appreciate that!

Thank you for this super cute and fluffy game! Please make more! Hahaha.
Oh, and... shameless plug: I actually wrote a review about this on my blog!

Thank you so much for the review! We really appreciate it. Our next game doesn't have to do with baking unfortunately, but I hope you still enjoy it! It'll be out soon, so if you're interested keep an eye out on itch.io!
crystalscm wrote:Did you enjoy it overall?
Yes, the characters and the romance was really adorable and well-written. I also like the combination of fantasy and using sweets; it reminds me slightly of an anime called "Yumeiro Patissiere", genre-wise and a little plot-wise too. It really got me nostalgic too with all those heart-swelling and compelling scenarios. Also, I liked that you used the characters' personalities to your advantage to create a comedic sense throughout the story.

Hmm, I would probably say that I have two equally favorite parts: (1) Carver and Ginger talk to each other. Even though they still have a strong rivalry, it shows that Carver cares for Ginger too, one way or another. It's just in a way that's not so direct. (2) Radley and his germophobia. It was funny to read through his fits about getting himself dirty!

Art-wise, I think it's very well made. The archetypes and the items work well with the storyline and the plot. As for the story, I think maybe emphasizing more abilities of elves in general could be there. I'm aware that they are elves from their physical appearances, but I think it would have been better for the characters to have some unique ability, or something.

Definitely Radley. His pranks always make me laugh, and his germophobe cracks me up. He reminds me of my most favorite character from a visual novel I play often! However, I also love Carver. Yes, he's a gigantic jerk, but deep inside, he actually has another side to him, and it's just adorable as it develops.

Sure, why not! I was always into sweets and fantasy too. It's the reason I downloaded the game in the first place.

Haha, if I could I would help contribute (writing, editing, etc.) in your future games, as I'm supportive of you all at this point! Either way, good luck on your next game. See you around
I'm so glad you enjoyed the romance! I was worried about making it believable in such a short game, but I think it turned out well. I'll have to check out that anime, it sounds... sweet ;D

Yaaay Carver faaan <3 He's my fav too.

Yeah we didn't touch too much on the elves thing, it was more of a sudden decision because bakery/world of sweets xD In the beginning we were going to have them all live in trees, but then we decided this would be better haha.

I'm so glad we have your support!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#70 Post by minyan »

Update

So I've been hearing a lot about a bug in Radley's route! I'm going to be checking that out as soon as I get a chance.

(Shameless plug) And, Gourmet Visual's next game: Ellaria: Cotton & Cream will be released on itch.io July 4th! There's a demo out now if you're into that sort of thing. It's another deadline game, we started june first. A fantasy romance adventure with too much 4th wall breaking for it's own good. Check it out if you have the time!

https://gourmetvisual.itch.io/ellaria-cc
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#71 Post by minyan »

DrSchizo was kind enough to make a web version of Heartbaked! Check it out: http://sandbox-adventure.com/heartbaked/
ImageImage

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#72 Post by Godline »

I should have done this when I first played so I wouldn't forget anything... but meep!

- Did you enjoy it overall?
You guys did an awesome job. At first I was hesitant because I hate baking, and I don't really like cooking games, but thankfully the emphasis wasn't on the cooking at all!

Radley trying to coax Ginger into a bath date. ;) Haha.
Nah, I loved it all.
All the short jokes with Carver.

It was well done. I felt like I was missing something with the old grandma character that came in there, like it was supposed to be important to Benjamin's route but at the end it wasn't. (But perhaps that was me reading too fast).

Radley and Carver. If only you could have some three way jealousy plot with them. Well, actually... when Ginger ends up with Benjamin and Radley is all sad, it kind of broke my heart a little...
So I guess overall Radley would be my favorite because I SO DIDN'T WANT HIM TO BE HURT! :(

Can't wait to try the new one. You guys are on a roll!

Sequel!

(Just so I get more Radley storyline!)

candy99xox

#73 Post by candy99xox »

I'm really happy that I found this game. I didn't play it yet, but it seems like a cute and fun game, and the characters are really well drawn !
Aspiring writer to hire. I may be a beginner, but I'm working hard to get better !

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#74 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

Just have to say- your game is adorably short, but sweet. I played this on my phone and enjoyed it so much! I went into this game thinking Ben was going to be my favorite only to find Carver becoming my fave. I loved Ben and Rad, but Carver is by-far my most favorite.

The argument and make-up scenes in each route had me on a feels train. I was like "NYOOOO!!!!" and felt all teary during those scenes. Ben's puppy dog eyes and Rad's love for Ginger and the kitchen fights with Carver were great.

I wanted to point out some very minor things, like the skip button not working or my character's name becoming Ginger (or the name I picked looking like this- AisabelAi). Other than that, the game was awesome.

As a chef/baker, I loved the world they lived in, so that just made this game all the more amazing, especially considering how quickly you guys made it.

Keep up the great work! Definitely looking forward to more from you guys. :)

Virelai
Regular

#75 Post by Virelai »

THIS GAME WAS ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE I LOVED IT.

1) Did you enjoy it overall?
I did enjoy it. The storyline was unique and absolutely adorable, and it was short and sweet enough to complete in one sitting (also not vv serious so I didn't have to panic over the decisions I made LOL)

2) What was your favorite part?
I actually really enjoyed the interactions between Carver and the MC honestly LOL They remind me a lot of an old couple acting all snarky to each other and trying to outdo each other when REALLY THEY LOVE EACH OTHER TO BITS AND PIECES AND HAVE BENE MARRIED FOR 68 YEARS

I ALSO LOVE CARVER'S MUSIC BOX IT'S SO FUNNY LOL

3) What parts could be improved upon?
One thing I found really weird/glitchy was the general GUI layout(?) I don't know if that's what it's called, but sometimes it would glitch out and when I moused over the buttons it would turn invisible. Perhaps you've already fixed that because I downloaded this a good while back.

4) Who was your favorite character?
I actually don't have one in particular, I enjoyed them all immensely...but I find Benjamin really cute LOL (I have a huge thing for tall guys) And his backstory was vv nice ^-^

5) Would you like to see more games from Gourmet Visual?
Yes definitely!!!!!!! I believe I've played some other games by you guys before? Not sure, I'll check after I make this post but YES, you should make more games. (It would actually be great if you worked on an even longer project ^-^)

6) Any other random comments!
You're doing great guys ^-^ keep up the 11/10 work