★ RockRobin - Open Beta

Post demo and beta versions of your game here for testing.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: ★ RockRobin - Open Beta

#211 Post by Aleema »

@lo6otia: Argh! How did you get 2 songs with the same name? I've tried to prevent that (at what I thought was) every turn!
@roboticisms: <3 I loved reading your review. What people thought of each character path is always my absolute favorite thing to read.

The timer wasn't ever in "seconds" but I'm an idiot and of course everyone would think they meant seconds. Originally it was supposed to be a bar that filled up (or down) but I moved it to numbers for aesthetic reasons. >_> Let me see what I can do to fix this.

I think I'm going to implement an immersion-breaking stopgap right before the AMPs. Something that asks you if you want to end the game. It sucks because it's so meta, but it's the best way to handle this I think.

Archangelina

#212 Post by Archangelina »

One minor bug I just remembered- under Em's Memorabilia the "Ultimate Frisbee" hang out is actually Dallas' version of the event, not the one on Em's actual path.

(And also not to be a bother but are Owen and Bruno being as trouble-making as Faust was to get together/program? I figured they would be nice, straightforward paths, but then I remember that for Owen you could romance Collin and ((PLEASE let there be a scene about that like Owen is too mature to make anything out of it but it MUST be awkward at least for Mr. Never-Lets-Things-Go)) and tbh we did basically break up Bruno's band.)

AJx

#213 Post by AJx »

None of the character arcs past Faust's seem to activate? Am I doing something wrong? I've updated.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#214 Post by Zelan »

AJx wrote:None of the character arcs past Faust's seem to activate? Am I doing something wrong? I've updated.
A lot of them still haven't been released. c:

AJx

#215 Post by AJx »

Zelan wrote:A lot of them still haven't been released. c:
Oh oops :oops: So no one past Faust should actually work? Sorry!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#216 Post by Aleema »

AJx wrote:
Zelan wrote:A lot of them still haven't been released. c:
Oh oops :oops: So no one past Faust should actually work? Sorry!
Please check the main page to see who has been released. If you can't activate a character, please note that they all tell their story in their own way. There is a walkthrough for all released characters in the game folder.

Thierry

#217 Post by Thierry »

Hi Aleema,

I just created an account here to congratulate you and your team : I tried the beta of Rock Robin, and so far I found it really huge ! You did an amazing job, especially with the storywriting. And the balance between narrative and managing sequences is a genius idea for this kind of story.

I can't wait for finishing the beta, and then playing the full game... Is it still planned for July ?

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#218 Post by Aleema »

Thierry wrote:Hi Aleema,

I just created an account here to congratulate you and your team : I tried the beta of Rock Robin, and so far I found it really huge ! You did an amazing job, especially with the storywriting. And the balance between narrative and managing sequences is a genius idea for this kind of story.

I can't wait for finishing the beta, and then playing the full game... Is it still planned for July ?
That's sweet of you, thank you. :)
I can at least promise to get the following out in July:
  • Wizz
  • Seth
  • Xander
  • Continued romances of Dallas, Beau and Emmitt
  • Their respective jealousy and break up scenes
That would be all the romance content and what I think is required for me to even remotely think the game is done. Other characters like Claudette, Owen, Jammy, etc are probably going to be released like DLC (after ver. 1.0). I'm not saying they won't be done, but I'm a bit overwhelmed right now and it'd be easier to just work on them without crushing deadlines.

Thierry

#219 Post by Thierry »

Wow, that's great news ! I'm really amazed by the huge amount of work you've done so far... 400,000 words for a non-commercial VN is extremely rare, and you deserve a lot of consideration for that.

Niini00
Tumblr: everyone-is-a-star

#220 Post by Niini00 »

I have a question there are some cheat code to have more money?, because I always stay in bankruptcy ToT :cry:

CatyCats
Regular

#221 Post by CatyCats »

Bankrupt? How did you do that? xD
You should join one of the 3 organisations (they'll give you money once a month) BUT BEWARE: once you step out of one of those organisations,you LOSE money AND songs! So read the contract !!!
You can wait to buy music related stuff .
You can wait to hire the expensive people because you can always fire them.
You should play a gig EVERY weekend.

That's what I do. Oh don't let your members stress out. if they stresses out they don't want to play a gig anymore... you normally can buy stuff (stuff they like) and give them gifts. BUT the characters that aren't out yet (the story of it)...it's a loss... what I mean is, if you buy stuff they like and give them their "hate" mood DON'T go up. (at least that's what I experienced.)

Other tips?

Thierry

#222 Post by Thierry »

Still playing the beta, and I really enjoy it !! This game is huge, and I've been waiting for this kind of VN for so long... But I have a question : I released a single, and was offered to buy some elements like flyers, ads, etc. I only chose flyers (I didn't have a lot money back then), then released my single. And now that I have more money to spend, I can't find this page anymore... I'd like to buy some ads or more promotional things, but... How can I do that now ?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#223 Post by Zelan »

Thierry wrote:Still playing the beta, and I really enjoy it !! This game is huge, and I've been waiting for this kind of VN for so long... But I have a question : I released a single, and was offered to buy some elements like flyers, ads, etc. I only chose flyers (I didn't have a lot money back then), then released my single. And now that I have more money to spend, I can't find this page anymore... I'd like to buy some ads or more promotional things, but... How can I do that now ?
This only comes up when you're in the process of releasing a single or album - you can't purchase any promotional items without them being attached to a single or album, if that makes sense.

dasea

#224 Post by dasea »

I've been waiting for this game for many years! The demo was one of the first VN I've played many years ago and I was crazy excited for the release. Every once and I while I would check on the progress but I never thought RockRobin would ever be released. I thought it was going to be trapped in developmental hell forever but congratulations on getting a beta out!

I don't know how to express how excited I am to play the beta. I don't have any feedback yet but I just want to say how happy I am to be able to play and how much nostalgia this brings me.

I'll try to leave some feedback when I finish a few routes.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#225 Post by Aleema »

0.80 Released

Patch Notes:
- Wizz Added
- Previews of Dallas, Beau and Emmitt epilogues
- Added Electronic Rock genre (Premium Content)
- You can add Xander to your band but without story (Premium Content)
- Break up phone scene for Dallas, Beau and Emmitt if you romance someone else
- There's now an option to delay the AMPs if the game detects you may fail your path
- Major issues with the Memorabilia not unlocking should hopefully be fixed
- The gig timer is now represented by a bar rather than a number
- Band members with low stress will add extra time for the minigame timer
- Your minigame score now adds bonuses to your setlist score and spectacle score
- Messed around with how the gig score is tallied based on time left, so it's now possible to score higher
- Switched sounds for the final prompt when band members refuse to play for gigs
- Fixed bug of classic songs not showing full popularity in gig final screen
- Darkened some char gig tiles to match the rest
- Matching the clock tiles in the minigame will give you extra time
- Raised the affection point increase by a lot for buying the most expensive gifts (cars, etc)
- Fixed Robin's chibi in Open Mode not showing ponytail
- The add button will now tell you if someone doesn't like your genre enough to not join
- Changed "established history" to "established romance" in the Open Mode selector screen
- Faust's scenes should unlock in the Memorabilia now and his romance achievement
- Fixed Robin's sprite not wearing Rose's outfit when they switch clothes, and other graphical errors
- The intro where Robin briefs the player on Sebastian for "Some Scenes" Open Mode now only happens once
- Removed the stat bar at the top of the screen for Beau's "Date game" scene.
- Giving Seth and Owen gifts now raises their relationship points
- Typos

THE WIZZ! Woo! He was a blast to write and I still laugh at some of the interactions he has with Robin. Wizz was invented by Chansel. She wrote his general premise, a lot of band chats and a few scenes. The ladies of HappyB love him, but your mileage may differ. He's not for everyone, but I tried to tone him down (or up) based on your interactions with him. I felt his romance scenes differed enough from the not-romance ones to give them their own slot in Memorabilia. So if you complete his path and see 2 empty slots on his page, it may just be the other version.

Epilogue previews!! Oh boy did you guys make me feel like crap for not releasing them. I'm sorry. In my mind, their romances always had more to it, but if I don't share that story, then what is the point? I wanted to release them last because I wanted to give them a lot of attention (and they're not complete, just outlined). So I've included previews of the continuations. There will be a little prompt that comes up that says the preview is over. Dallas has 2 long scenes at the beginning only, Emmitt has 4 scenes that occur over time (about a month in between), and Beau has 2 scenes that happen after the first month and at the end of summer with some tiny little ones in between. I hope you like Emmitt. :D

THESE ARE ONLY PREVIEWS. The stories will continue once I've finished them. You'll eventually get an option in each path to break off the romance, if you want. If you romance someone else, Robin will call them up and break up with them. If you continue your romance with them, all of them will get happy endings (despite what the previews may imply). Again, I just need to finish them first.

Image Image

Also, premium code owners finally get something of substance: a new genre (Electric Rock) and a preview of Xander. You can see his intro if you attempt to add him to the band (you'll get another chance to say yay or nay). His story is written, I just need to go through and add the graphics, music, etc. The tedious part.

To those that were habitually failing a romance route: hopefully this will help! :D A screen will pop up before the AMPs at the end of the game that gives you an option to not continue. This will only appear if you are set to fail your selected romance route. The game will check to see if you've done the bare minimum for your romance every 4 weeks. If you're all set, romance-wise, you won't get a choice. Sorry, but that's how it's meant to be played! Alternatively, you could play your band into infinity if you're willing to see that screen pop up every month. :P

I finally fixed the problem of removing the add button if someone can't be recruited. Now it tells you that they dislike your genre, so hopefully it is more clear.

The gig minigame time is now a bar that depletes, so no more complaining about how the "seconds" are too fast. (I can't make the numbers be actual seconds because the game requires the screen be updated quickly to read your inputs.)

Another cool feature for those that play the timed minigame (I've heard you are out there somewhere) is that low stress band members give you more time! And if you match the clock tiles, you'll get a boost in time as well.

~~
While I fixed a lot of bugs, I also added in a bunch of content so I expect there may be more bugs than before, so let me know. I also wrote a bunch of scenes that have never been proofed so there may also be a lot of typos ... sorry. D:
~~

@dasea: Thank you, that is very sweet. I hope it lives up to your expectations.