The Buzz - a 30-episode visual novel podcast

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Player / Character Viewpoint (ep.18) - "The Buzz" VN pod

#46 Post by mikey »

Hi everyone, just a short message, we have a few new episodes up, check the opening post for more details, mostly focused on writing and narrative - also, a followup episode is in the works (likely ep.21), so we'll be sure to consider your feedback the next time we record.

Thanks for listening!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The Buzz - a visual novel podcast

#47 Post by mikey »

Just a short update, we've already recorded and released 24 episodes, and if you haven't listened to the podcast recently, maybe give it a try - our latest episode features a discussion with PyTom, and we discuss the EVN community and these forums specifically.

I also updated and simplified the first post, just because it's become a bit too complex with all the releases, so you can go through it and perhaps find a topic that is currently interesting to you. Enjoy!

Klawzie
Regular
Organization: Kappa Creek
Tumblr: klawzie
Deviantart: klawzie

#48 Post by Klawzie »

I actually found the podcast in the first place because of Pytom's tweet about that episode! I've been out of the community for awhile, so I hadn't heard of it before and ended up listening to them in a span of about three days. (As a result, I'll probably want to listen to a few of them again, because some of them were interesting and I want to revisit those when I'm a bit further in development.)

Really appreciate the podcast. Especially the episodes where you "talk shop" more. (The fun "just shooting the breeze" episodes bring up some interesting things to think about, they just aren't always covered as deeply as when they're the specific focus of the episode.)

I've set up an IFTTT action for the blog, which will shoot me an email when you update that, but if you know of a better way that doesn't involve using Twitter*, I'd love to hear it! I don't really like how Soundcloud "works" since even the Kindle ap is awkward.

*I don't use Twitter, I just have Pytom's Twitter feed bookmarked.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by mikey »

Thank you for those kind words!

I'd say we have several types of episodes, the very topical ones which themselves can be split into philosophical and practical, and then there are the episodes where it's less structured - and these are needed, too, because those large topical episodes are often exhausting, that it just feels like it's time to chat in a less stuctured way.

To get notified, I think for now your best bet is to use twitter @buzzvnp or the soundcloud RSS (see first post), and once we sort out the site (that has become a bit complicated so we are rethinking it), it will be ok to follow it again, but right now the website is not caught up.

Klawzie
Regular
Organization: Kappa Creek
Tumblr: klawzie
Deviantart: klawzie

#50 Post by Klawzie »

Oh, man. Haha. Trust me - I know the pain of staying on-topic over an extended period of time. (Conversations are meant to evolve!) I'd have to agree that those would be the more difficult ones to do! (Don't get me wrong - I had fun with the very casual chats too. It helped me "get to know" you guys better, which helps put thoughts in context. That's another reason why I'm looking forward to listening to some of those episodes again!)

An RSS feed for Soundcloud? Hawtsome! Had no idea there was such a thing - thank you!

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#51 Post by Tempus »

Just thought I'd drop by and say I listened to the latest episode with Tom in it and enjoyed it—it's also the first episode I've listened to since Kuiper joined which shows how far behind I am! It's too bad I can't listen while working since I've switched to mostly programmer-y stuff.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#52 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I hadn't listened to one before.

I found them interesting.

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#53 Post by JBShields »

I am bumping this thread. You're amazing. Such a wonderful and well researched podcast for VN creators. I will be following. Do you have a FB page as well.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by mikey »

Thanks so much for listening, everyone - it's great to get these small pieces of feedback, it's very motivating for us!

We really try to make the topics universal, so that it doesn't really matter if you're "behind", or only listened to those episodes that discuss topics that are relevant to you at the moment, in fact I recently talked to my co-hosts how I really liked it being able to reply to someone's question with a link to one or the other episode about the topic, so we really want to treat it like a resource.

No FB page, we are still working on an official podcast site, so for now soundcloud is what we have. Again, it's not necessarily about up to the minute updates, although we always tweet out a new episode via https://twitter.com/buzzvnp - Twitter is also probably the best way to reach us, especially me :)

So thank you again, we have recorded two new episodes, so there is more to come :)

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#55 Post by Chocopyro »

So that's what Sasquatchi sounds like. ^__^
(I had no idea she was a girl. lol)

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#56 Post by Kuiper »

So, a bit of an update: The Buzz has now released a total of 30 episodes. (You can view all episodes on Soundcloud, here.) And episode 30 is a bit of a "sunset" episode, which is to say, it's the last episode we're doing before going on indefinite hiatus. This podcast is over two years old and I feel it's come a long way in that time, but mikey, sasquachii, and I felt that this was the right place to end it. You can here some more detailed thoughts from me (and them) in the final minutes of episode 30.

Thanks to everyone who listened. Being part of this podcast was rewarding, educational, and a lot of fun, and even if we never do another episode, I think what we've produced in that time is a body of work that I think I'll be able to look back on and be proud of.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: The Buzz - a 30-episode visual novel podcast

#57 Post by Katy133 »

Additional update: All 30 episodes of The Buzz can now be found on the Internet Archive: The Buzz
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

wulfmune
Regular

#58 Post by wulfmune »

Oh. I haven't heard these before. Thanks for the update! I need something to listen to while I'm working and this is perfect.

HEXdidnt
Regular
Projects: A Night at the Office, Embracing Christmas, The Masquerade Benefit
Deviantart: HEXdidnt

#59 Post by HEXdidnt »

Duly bookmarked, and listening to the first episode as I type. Procrastination is a very appropriate topic right now... Looking forward to the rest, as there are some intriguing titles among the thirty episodes.
As ever, dropping litter in the zen garden of your mind...