Game of Thrones meets Yandere Simulator? ~ Recruiting Now!

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
comfree

Game of Thrones meets Yandere Simulator? ~ Recruiting Now!

#1 Post by comfree »

The king is dead.

The king is dead and the people are mourning.

The king is dead and the kingdom is in uproar.

The king is dead… and you couldn’t be more pleased.

When the beloved ruler has suddenly died after more than fifty years of a fair and just rule, it sends the kingdom into upheaval as the people cope with the loss and try to figure out a successor to the throne. The mood throughout the entire region could not be dourer. Except for you, that is. All you can think about is finally making your dreams of ruling become a reality. For you things could not be going any better. But hold on there, friend, before you go getting too excited, don’t forget that you’re still only sixth in line to rule and the other five are all pretty young and healthy at that. First thing’s first, if you really want to be queen that badly, you’re going to have to get rid of the competition. I’d suggest you try talking it out or seeing if they’re actually fit to rule. But, hey, if that doesn’t work there’s always bribery, manipulation, blackmail and, of course, murder.

To put it simply, it’s a VN about eliminating the five rivals between you and the throne by any means possible before the coronation takes place in a fortnight. My plans are to make it so you can eliminate these rivals in any order and through a variety of means but also make it so the characters will react differently depending on the actions you’ve already taken (though that may be more adventurous than I’ll be able to manage. Still, here’s hoping.)

In case you couldn’t tell from the plot, this is going to be primarily comedy (though probably a dark comedy) but have endings/paths with elements of romance, friendship and dark and twisted themes. With the exception of death/murder most serious themes/topics will only be mentioned in passing if at all and won’t really be key points in the story.

Recruiting:

Character Artists
Background Artists
CG Artists
Programmers
Music Artists
Editors
Idea Bouncers
And More

I’m not sure how long this will be exactly. I’m aiming for half an hour to an hour per run with a wide variety of options to give it a lot of replay value. I’ve brainstormed a wide variety of possible means of eliminating rivals but generally it will depend on what help people are willing to give me. The goal is to make this game reactive to the player’s choices and to add the widest variety of options possible to allow for fresh challenges and adventures each time it’s played. At the very basic level, this is what I’m looking at:

Three different categories for rival elimination:
  • Diplomatically – Generally this involves talking to and befriending the rival and using persuasion and charm to convince them to step down by their own volition. Generally this causes no suspicion in your rivals.
    Underhandedly – Bribery, blackmail, scheming, etc. This could range from spreading damaging gossip throughout the court to even getting your rival arrested or worse. This can cause mild to moderate suspicion in your rivals.
    Violently – Murder, plain and simple. Generally speaking this is the easiest method, if lacking finesse but after each rival dies the others grow far more wary and suspicious.
But should time, ability, contributions, interest, etc permit here are some other features I may try to add (note: I only know the basics of programming so I’m not sure about the limits of the engine or how possible these might be, I just have a rudimentary idea of how I want these to work)
  • Different endings depending on how the rivals were eliminated indicating what kind of ruler you’ll be.

Alternate side elimination methods such as seducing/hiring/manipulating/bribing outsiders to do various crimes or take the fall for crimes for you.

More difficult duel elimination methods which require a lot of finesse to pull off but drop two rivals off the list instead of just one.

The more suspicious your rivals are of foul play, the harder it becomes to plot against them. For instance many scenes and conversations will be forced through suspicion checks. All elimination methods will always be possible but if the suspicion is too high they may require having jumped through an increasingly difficult set of hoops.

Potentially offering romance options for the rivals as well (the MC is not blood related to any of them) so that you only need to eliminate the rivals above your prospective romance.
This is going to be a labor of love no matter what and as I’ve written this all out I am already seeing a monstrous amount of work ahead of me, but I also find myself getting more and more excited at the prospect of somehow making it work. What I’m really looking for are people willing to see this labor out with me, but any contributions you’d be willing to make of any kind would definitely be welcome! As far as progress goes, I already have the five rivals planned out as well as individual elimination methods for all of them as well as a basic idea of gameplay and major events. I’d also be more than happy to discuss the plot and characters and everything else so by all means feel free to pm me if you have anything you’d like to say/ask. :)

DarkVibeGames

Re: Game of Thrones meets Yandere Simulator? ~ Recruiting No

#2 Post by DarkVibeGames »

I really like the concept you've got going here. I do musical stuff, I have some demos here: https://soundcloud.com/manchilddvg. Those songs might not be the style you're looking for but I'm confident that I could handle a more high/dark fantasy style if that's what you desire. In any case, I could take a stab at it and you could decide if you'd wanna take me on or not. Also, I can do some proofreading/editing if you'd like, I'm a pretty decent writer.

comfree

#3 Post by comfree »

I listened to your samples and they sound great! Honestly I'm envisioning have a wide variety of different moods, starting with something more somber for the king's funeral and then having some lighter things for a masquerade ball somewhere around the middle of the game. Some darker things would be fantastic for bad ends or for some of the elimination methods definitely. But I'd be delighted to listen to anything you'd like to make but I do love your demos already. I'd be glad to have another opinion on the writing as well, so this sounds fantastic.

DarkVibeGames

#4 Post by DarkVibeGames »

comfree wrote:I listened to your samples and they sound great! Honestly I'm envisioning have a wide variety of different moods, starting with something more somber for the king's funeral and then having some lighter things for a masquerade ball somewhere around the middle of the game. Some darker things would be fantastic for bad ends or for some of the elimination methods definitely. But I'd be delighted to listen to anything you'd like to make but I do love your demos already. I'd be glad to have another opinion on the writing as well, so this sounds fantastic.
Awesome! I'll try to throw together a few tracks over the next few days. Looking forward to working with ya!

Dollysama
Regular
Projects: SH Academy
Organization: Asterisk*Games

#5 Post by Dollysama »

Hello. If you still need a programmer, I would be willing to help.

I'm currently about a year into a two year python course and have been using Ren'py for quite a while, in case you need an idea of my capabilities.

I would also be up for helping bounce ideas back and forth.

comfree

#6 Post by comfree »

Hey there, that would be fantastic! As far as programming goes, what little I know is self-taught so it would likely turn out much better if I had someone to help me out. I'll send you a pm in a bit later with some of the general gameplay mechanics I was thinking about, if you don't mind. Partially it would be nice to get a feel for what's possible with the engine itself since I'm a little new to it.

Dollysama
Regular
Projects: SH Academy
Organization: Asterisk*Games

#7 Post by Dollysama »

comfree wrote:Hey there, that would be fantastic! As far as programming goes, what little I know is self-taught so it would likely turn out much better if I had someone to help me out. I'll send you a pm in a bit later with some of the general gameplay mechanics I was thinking about, if you don't mind. Partially it would be nice to get a feel for what's possible with the engine itself since I'm a little new to it.
Great, I look forward to working with you. :)

blackrabbitXIII

#8 Post by blackrabbitXIII »

I sent a PM!

Hoping for your quick reply Thanks! :)

Kanii_Nanii

#9 Post by Kanii_Nanii »

Hi hi!
In case you require a CG artist, I'd be happy to help there!^^
You can view the samples of such CGs in this post: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38562

comfree

#10 Post by comfree »

I've messaged you both and I can't wait to work with you!

Bunniesovercats
Tumblr: Bunnisart
Deviantart: Bunniesovercats

#11 Post by Bunniesovercats »

This game sounds so cool! I'm up for payed work, but I would be more than willing to work for free for this project! I can do CG art, Character art, and promotional art if you think my style is good enough!
You can find some of my work here-> viewtopic.php?f=62&t=39301 and here-> http://bunniesovercats.deviantart.com/g ... ?catpath=/ If you're interested please feel free to message me!

EuphoniousChaos

#12 Post by EuphoniousChaos »

Just sent a pm!

Sounds like an awesome concept, and I'd love to see it grow into something more, whether I'm involved in the process or not! :)

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#13 Post by Katta »

Have you seen my PM from last week?