Konbini Life [Romance/Drama/Slice of Life][GxB] #ilujam DEMO

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yukki_13

Re: Konbini Life [Romance/Drama/Slice of Life][GxB] #ilujam

#16 Post by yukki_13 »

- Are the characters interesting? Which one appeals to you?

I like MC the most for some reason. And that "i dont even like kids" is pure blessing.
The boys are interesting too.

- Does the premise seem entertaining?

Yes. Looks like its going to be a nice slice of life!

- Do you feel the character are different enough to each other?

I guess

- Have you played anything similar? (so we can avoid it like the plague)

There's enough games with similiar ideas, but if you can avoid cliches it'l be nice.

- Do you think we have bitten off more than we can chew? (Seriously. We have no idea if our scope it too big we have until July 4th)

Dunno. But i'll watch the progress.

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#17 Post by Laera-chan »

2Birds wrote:@Laera-chan ilujam runs for the duration of June and finishes up July 4th. There will be something for you to play come then :D Once you get your head around Renpy it's super simple to make a basic VN, don't let the tools scare you off! :) Do it!
Aaah. Yay! New game new game new game! And so soon! Also, I've thought up an idea, and ran it by a friend (Mama J), and since I've gotten the green light, I'm gonna make a post for it in Ideas. But yay for a new game that's coming out soon!

ashbery

#18 Post by ashbery »

Are the characters interesting? Which one appeals to you?
They are all very interesting and unique, definitely! My attention really goes to the MC and Prince (a happy-go-lucky playboy? Sign me up).

Does the premise seem entertaining?
It does! A konbini store is definitely an uncommon setting and the interactions between such different characters in this situation has a lot of potential!

Do you feel the character are different enough to each other?
Oh, for sure! In both ways, looks and personality. The designs are just on point and the art is divine. And even though I could only have a glimpse of a few dialogues, I can see that they are very creative! You birdies are doing an amazing job!

Have you played anything similar? (so we can avoid it like the plague)
I haven't.

Do you think we have bitten off more than we can chew? (Seriously. We have no idea if our scope it too big we have until July 4th)

Well, I can't be sure since I have no idea how long each part of the process will take-- still, if you are both committed to the project there's a big chance everything will be alright!

2Birds

#19 Post by 2Birds »

@yukki_13
Thank you :D We hope Natsu resonates with the audience, she has a dry personality. I'm a little worried about how she will come across but I hope people like her :)

@Laera-chan
Good on you! That's exciting :D :D :D I'll be sure to check it out!

@ashbery
Cute avatar~ Thanks for your for nice words, us birdies really appreciate it XD

Bird 1 has had a quick go at the logo (I don't know why I'm talking in third person, ignore me). So check out our first post for the update! Going quite simple in the design. It's not quite there but I thought I'd share it anyway. Enjoy the new expressions for the characters. Bird 2 has outdone herself.

I won't lie, Glasses is the best. He's adorable.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#20 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

The characters certainly have sparked my curiosity. Prince is my favorite, and reminds me of Tamaki from Ouran Highschool Host Club.

The introduction is indeed quite intriguing. I am curious to see how 'Flunkee-Chan' interacts with other characters, and if she ever goes back to college, as well as how everyone will affect her life.

You definitely have an interesting cast of characters, and none of them are alike. That will certainly make for amusing interactions.

The only game that I've ever played that comes close to being similar to this one is 'Summer Special!' and that was only a demo, but it didn't really have the same story line or circumstances.

I have never made a game before - Ren'py is a little too much for me, I cannot code to save my life - so I have no idea if you've made your game too long, added too many endings or words, etc; however, what you have so far looks nice, and even if you don't meet your deadline, I would be happy to play this when it is complete.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS FREE! It seems I am always broke, and so many otome games are commercial, so I can't get them. You are saints, I swear! XD

I am really looking forward to this game, so keep up the great work~

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#21 Post by Zelan »

I didn't notice this before, but man oh man Grouchy's eyes are gorgeous <3

I'm cheering for you guys! Keep up the good work! ^_^

2Birds

#22 Post by 2Birds »

https://2birds.itch.io/konbini-life

Our demo is up! Check it out! We would love to hear all sorts of feedback. Bugs, suggestions, anything! We want to make Konbini Life the best it can be :) If you can't hear any sound that's because there is none :( I'm sorry. It'll be put in, in the next iteration. As will some non-default UI. We didn't really take into account the learning curve or the fact we have fulltime jobs. We were optomists :oops:

Unfortunately for now it's only a demo. The entire game has a first pass but we felt pushing out a polished demo was better than a hacked together final piece :lol: We will still be working on it in our spare time though, dont worry. We have more we want to give you :D

So for now, give it a shot if you like. If you have any critique, you can either post it here or email at us 2BirdsGames@gmail.com we are happy to hear from you :)

Thanks so much!

@VocaloidsRCool
Free can be nice, especially if you're still working out how to create something haha. We look forward to you playing our game! Whether it's the demo or the finished product :) Thanks for taking the time to respond to us regardless!

@Zelan
Thanks Zelan! We are glad you've become attuned to the dreaminess that is Grouchy's eyes :lol:

Anyubel
Regular
Projects: Project Miasma
Deviantart: AnyuBel

#23 Post by Anyubel »

Once I opened this thread and saw the glasses shine... I already know which character I'll be pursuing in the game :lol:

The premise is alright, am liking the creepy businessman thing going on. I feel like it can make for a lot of funny scenes with a lot of misunderstandings. Weirdly enough, maybe I'm too sheltered, but I haven't seen anyone actually do that in a store... Okay, maybe once or twice but those were fairly forgettable encounters. Though, one time, me and my friend saw some dude reading weird stuff openly on a computer at the library... that was so jokes :lol:

They seem fairly different imo, so no complaints here!

- Have you played anything similar?
I probably don't play enough, but an otaku that scares away customers, is pursuable and isn't just some sort of background guy is something I haven't encountered yet haha

- Anything we can improve?

Everything looks really polished, so no complaints here!! And the fact that its free makes it all the better (sparkles in eyes)

Also, downloaded the demo for Mr. Megane man :oops:

edit: just started the demo a few seconds ago and omfg when my friend comes back in town (er... city), I'm gonna make her play this (I think she'd really like grouchy dude)
edit2: I finished the demo and idk if I like the grouchy guy or the glasses guy more... the prince guy is okay too (I'm a sucker for guys who blush like the grouchy guy lol)

Lizzie
Projects: Stargazer
Organization: Astral Circus
Tumblr: lizziethepenguin

#24 Post by Lizzie »

Just played the demo and loved it!

The characters are so adorable! I had to try hard so I wouldn't laugh with their expressionless faces and the comedy especially the puns. Seriously, whenever there was a pun, I had to take a screenshot and show it to a poor friend of mine.
I went with Prince's route and he's too cute when he's blushing. His dark expression though. I want someone to pun into the night with too :oops: .
Also, in the first choice, I went with the second option because I'm thug life and expected to be scolded but...instead I got compliments? Wow. Loved the surprise and unpredictableness.
I kind of seem like Glasses now. So hyped to play the game!

Good luck! :D

2Birds

#25 Post by 2Birds »

Hey everybody! Bird2 here, finally chiming in!

First of all, thank you so much for all the kind words! It's been as much hard work as it has been fun, so I'm over the moon that people have liked what we have done. Bird1 outdone herself with the writing, the Konbini really came to life!

@Anyubel
Thanks for playing the demo! I am also a sucker for the tomato blush, I have decided they all need more blushing expressions. :oops:

@Lizzie
Bird1 had me in stitches with the puns as well! As for the choice selection, sometimes the Konbini Guys can be pretty tricksy with their reactions. Let us know if it ever felt a bit too unpredictable!

In sad Konbini news, ilujam came to an end before we could polish up the remainder of the game. The awesome news is that now that we don't have any deadlines forcing us to make heartbreaking decisions, we can do all the stuff we dreamed of! The list below has all the things we're considering investing some time in. The reality is that we may not get through the whole list, so we would love to know what people would like to see most of all from the full version of the game! The world's our/your oyster!

Bird1 Wishlist
- Suite of full-colour CG moments
- Music plugged in
- UI design pass
- Parallaxing BGs

Bird2 Demands
- HOODY
- 1-2 extra poses per character
- More expressions!
- Prop/Item pop-up

Possible Extras
- Sound FX
- More locations
- Lip Sync / Eye Blink
- Yet ANOTHER character (we have one in mind)

I for one would love to get some player wishlists! It'll help decide where our priorities lie after we take a weekend break to get our breath back.

... just one weekend Grouchy, we swear. ;.;

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#26 Post by Zelan »

I'm with you, Bird 2! I DEMAND HOODY.

AnnaMcMoose

#27 Post by AnnaMcMoose »

Oh! I posted a comment on the other page, but I'll fill out the info here too!

Yes, of course! I feel like the characters all have interesting personalities and are fun to be around. Its a tough choice but I'd have to say GrouchyKun is my fav.

The setting is really cute and fun. The story had me engaged from the beginning, and I was really pleased with the art for everything. I really enjoyed playing the demo and can't wait for more.

Oh yes. They each have very different personalities and looks that works for each character.
And i like how it insinuates prince and glasses become friends or closer through the manga, it was a really cute addition.
Plus the interactions between Natsu and each of the boys are interesting and hilarious.

- Have you played anything similar?
I don't think I've played anything like this one. The setting and characters are different than what I've played so far.

- Anything we can improve?
Not that I can say, everything is really polished, the art looks very beautiful and the writing is hilarious!

extra: player wishlist?
As far as whats listed;
Suite of full-colour CG
More expressions!
Prop/Item pop-up (Props/Items would be awesome)
(kinda want hoody too....SO I CAN KICK HIS butt?)
More locations (YES! I would love more locations!)
Yet ANOTHER character (PLS YES)

Oh but if there's prop/items and locations then perhaps you earn money at the job to pay for some of the things as an option

Double_SS

#28 Post by Double_SS »

Yes! They're all quite different, but entertaining/interesting nevertheless. I'm sorry, but Glasses still creeps me out a bit haha. I have nothing against otakus though. Prince is adorable, but a little too good to be true for me. So my fave has to be Grouchy-kun! :wink: I love how he's a senpai to Flunkee-kun, but a year younger, makes for a lot of jokes. Gotta like his nice side when it shows up also. Plus he seems the most relatable. Oh and of course, he's kinda a hottie you know. (Actually, all the guys are attractive. I mean Glasses in a suit? Prince's fashion sense? Dayumm.)

I want to add that Flunkee-chan is a great MC. Not an empty shell or a "fragile flower". She's super adorable too~

It does, mainly because I've never heard of a VN taking place at store like this before. Plus having such a lively cast helps out.

Do you feel the characters are different enough to each other?
Uh, yeahhh.

Have you played anything similar?
Not really. I mean, there are VN's out there where there are multiple guys to choose from with a slice of life aspect to it. The goal is to make yours unique.

Anything we can improve?
I don't really have any critiques at the moment, but I'll share some of my thoughts, and hopefully they may help out.

First off, I can't wait for the full game to be out! The art is amazing, the story line is a lot fun, and there's so much potential here. When the demo ended, I couldn't help but cry out, "Noooooo." I really hope the story continues to dive into some real-world problems for people around Flunkee-chan's age. I'd be interested in seeing more of the slice of life aspect here and each character in a different light as the story goes along because complex characters are everything to me.

As for your stretch goals, more endings I don't think are necessary since there are already 6 total, but I mean if you can make the new ones super different, I'm for it! Hoody as a potential bachelor... hmm I'm not against it at all. Having more CG's would be great though! You know, whenever the protag. has a moment with one of the guys or with a friend... wait! Perhaps there should be more female characters? Maybe a friend... rival... or something. Items would be cool, but not necessary. More locations for sure though! :D

Kudos to you guys for completing this demo in a month! That's insane, and good luck with continuing its creation! Thanks for sharing! I know a lot of hard work was put into this.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#29 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Well, I would like the game no matter what is in it, but, I don't mind telling you what I would like to see most.

Full color CGs would be lovely.

A route for Hoody, because, I kind of like that mystery guy.

More locations could be interesting, because there would be more places for scenes to occur. :D

Another character? If at all possible, yes, please~ You guys come up with really fun characters!

But, really, whatever you do is fine with me. This game will honestly be great no matter what! :)

akka
Regular
Tumblr: akkalime
Deviantart: akkalime

#30 Post by akka »

The concept for this is adorable ^q^ And the art is gorgeous! Wowza!

Incredibly so! Thus far I find Grouchy the most appealing, if only because I have a soft spot for hard working angry kids <:3c I'd certainly want to know about the others, though!

It does! It gives way for a lot of wacky hijinks hehe.

Do you feel the character are different enough to each other?
Yup! At the very least they're very easy to distinguish from one another, both appearance and personality-wise.

Have you played anything similar?
None that I could recall! Though I haven't exactly played very many visual novels in recent years.

Anything we can improve?

I've got no complaints here, myself!