ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?] ▪ RELEASED

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?] ▪ RELEASED

#1 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

ImageImageImageImageImage

DOWNLOAD FREE FROM:

ImageImageImage

TRAILER

♦ THE WALKTHROUGH TO PUT A SOCK IN IT! ♦

Did someone ask for:

* 90 unique-ish endings?
* 30 profound-ish life lessons to learn?
* Sock puppet humor and violence galore?

The Story of Socks

Serena

"This isn’t even the worst place I’ve been locked in.
* sigh * We don’t think about that, Serena.
"

What would you do if you were trapped somewhere for a long time? Put A Sock In It! dares ask the question: How far would you go to entertain yourself? With all her coworkers gone for the weekend, no way of contacting the outside world, and no hint of rescue in sight, Serena will discover that maybe, just maybe, her best friend is actually herself. And these puppets she just made from her socks...
You play the game by selecting each pair of characters, for a total of four combinations: Princess x Wizard, Ghost x Stable Boy, Wizard x Ghost, and Stable Boy x Princess. Each pairing gives you control of the situation and relationship from one of the characters' point of view. For example, in the Princess x Wizard pairing, the Wizard has abducted her and you play as the Princess, guiding the story with her reactions -- do you hate him, or could this be love?

Princess Franceska

Hobbies: Being happy, exploring, upkeep of castles, keeping tabs on neighboring princes.
Dislikes: Stuffy high society, imprisonment.

Evil Wizard Nefario

Hobbies: Being powerful, subjugation, kidnapping, stealing, hexing, destroying enemies, summoning magical creatures.
Dislikes: Disobedience, paying for things.

Ghost of Ambiguous Identity

Hobbies: Being spooky and mysterious, haunting, revenge.
Dislikes: Traitors, killers.

Stable Boy Georgie

Hobbies: Spending time with animals, pitchforking things, dreaming of princesses.
Dislikes: Non-vegetarians, the dark past.

Summary
Having locked herself in a stairwell, Serena is quickly beginning to run out of distractions. Thankfully, she has two colorful socks and a penchant for amusing herself. So, to pass the time she will weave short, humorous skits based on your selections between characters of your choice, with storylines ranging from romantic melodrama between princess and stable boy to violent quarrels with an evil wizard. This game features one setting (Magic Kingdom) with four characters (Princess, Ghost, Evil Wizard, Stable Boy), altogether coming in at a little over 27, 000 words with all the variations.

* The game has sock puppet violence, and some suggestively risqué dialogue on the odd occasion.

Genres

♦ Comedy
♦ Slice of Weirdness
♦ Romantic Misadventure
♦ Tragic Nonsense

Team

♦ Writing: Leonid Pilchin
♦ Character Art & Animation & UI: Leonid Pilchin
♦ Background Art: Alexander Kaloyan
♦ Programmer: Istvan Orosi
♦ Music: Various Wonderful Contributors

Progress

♦ Writing: 100%
♦ Sprites: 100%
♦ CGs: What CGs?
♦ BGs: 100%
♦ UI: 100%
♦ Programming: 100%

Questions

♦ How did you like the game (and what about it)?
♦ Who is your favorite sock character?
♦ What were some of your favorite endings/developments (use the spoiler tag please)?
♦ What did you think about the lessons (did you learn them all and finish the game)?

DOWNLOAD AND PLAY HERE!
Last edited by LeonDaydreamer on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 31 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

Re: ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?]

#2 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

I'm happy to report we've been making some really good progress with Put A Sock In It! :)

Look, shiny: The Princess is upset with the Wizard!
ImageImageImageImage

Schtranzen

#3 Post by Schtranzen »

Wow, that's a really interesting game I see!

♦ What do you think of the concept?
The concept is fresh and intriguing. I like the idea that the whole story (well, stories) is happening in the main character's head. It can be an excellent way to show her nature through the story she develops.
And what's even better, main character has no boundaries concerning how should she play. It's sock puppets, everything could happen!

And the animation is good stuff. That makes the game more lively!

♦ Are you interested in playing this game?
Yes.

♦ What settings or characters would you be interested in exploring (as sock puppets)?
I personally would like not to see in the game what I want to explore. I want to see to what point main character's imagination can bring her.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#4 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Thanks a lot Schtranzen!

I'm glad you like the concept. It's weird and silly and quite experimental. I'm looking forward to hearing what people think after playing it... :)

I am a perfectionist to a good degree and I really didn't make this a simple project for myself (nor my programmer), there are SO MANY little details to tweak and perfect, from timing, positioning, etc. But it's been fun working on it, and we're starting to see the end in sight.
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Oh, yay, this one's back up! ^_^ Awesome.

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#6 Post by MoonByte »

I totally love the idea!
Reminds me of that "sex game" where you play a girl that plays with dolls. It is so weird, yet funny and interesting.
I really look forward to the execution!

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#7 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:Oh, yay, this one's back up! ^_^ Awesome.
Yup! :) 99.9% of the writing is done now, and all the artwork minus a couple of BGs. What's left is music/sfx integration, some UI and lots and lots of play testing.
MoonByte wrote:I totally love the idea!
Reminds me of that "sex game" where you play a girl that plays with dolls. It is so weird, yet funny and interesting.
I really look forward to the execution!
Thanks MoonByte, I haven't heard of that game, but that's a fun idea.
Our game has been really coming together the past couple of weeks.

Here's one of the BGs from Put A Sock In It!:
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan »

I like the lighting in that background! All those animals hanging by clothespins are nice, too - they add to the atmosphere.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#9 Post by Googaboga »

I love it. It's so quirky and neat.

Definitely.

♦ What settings or characters would you be interested in exploring (as sock puppets)?

I imagine any type of setting would be fun in sock puppet land. As for characters, maybe a disapproving parent sock?

It's great you've made so much progress on this. I'm really looking forward to the finished game. And I just wanna mention that the visual for this are fantastic.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#10 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:I like the lighting in that background! All those animals hanging by clothespins are nice, too - they add to the atmosphere.
Thanks Zelan! I drew the rough sketch for it, but my BG artist really made it great. :)
Googaboga wrote:♦ What do you think of the concept?
I love it. It's so quirky and neat.

Definitely.

I imagine any type of setting would be fun in sock puppet land. As for characters, maybe a disapproving parent sock?
It's great you've made so much progress on this. I'm really looking forward to the finished game. And I just wanna mention that the visual for this are fantastic.
Thank you so much Googaboga! I'm happy you like the idea and visuals.
We don't have a disapproving parent sock (I did at one point consider having an "I am your father" moment, but somehow it didn't come up when I was writing it), but you'll find that the characters are often disapproving of one another just the same. :P

We've implemented the music and some more UI, so it looks and feels shinier. It's getting really close now and we're starting to integrate the final animations and doing lots of playtesting. :)
ImageImageImageImage

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#11 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Another wonderful BG from our game by our background artist Alexander Kaloyan:

ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: ʘ_ʘ Put A Sock In It! [Comedy/Fun-tasy/Tragedy?] (+BG)

#12 Post by Zelan »

Wow, that's a little creepy. The doormat definitely lightens it up, though. Nice job on that background!

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#13 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Zelan wrote:Wow, that's a little creepy. The doormat definitely lightens it up, though. Nice job on that background!
Haha, it looks a little brighter with silly sock puppets in front of it. Thanks Zelan, this BG was all our Background Artist, the welcome mat was pretty much the only thing I suggested. :P

Hope you're having a nice vacation. ;)
ImageImageImageImage

Onnikus
Projects: Autonomous
Tumblr: onnikus

#14 Post by Onnikus »

Absolutely love this idea. It's ridiculous (in a good way, obviously) and got me to chuckle right off the bat. You've also nailed the fluid animation from what I've seen, which is a hurdle I've yet to fully conquer in my experience with Ren'Py.

If executed well. I have no doubt you'll do it justice, but good, original ideas like these tend to be watered down by a poor delivery.

This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but surprise me! Exploring a fantasy world is usually interesting from any angle. I'd like to see external conflict that becomes the Princess's problem. I.e., a barbarian's conquest is cut short by the wizard, who defends the territory--whose side will the Princess take? Just an example, but hopefully that got my point across. :p

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran

#15 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Onnikus wrote:Absolutely love this idea. It's ridiculous (in a good way, obviously) and got me to chuckle right off the bat.
Thanks Onnikus! I'm glad you like the idea. I guess we'll see what thoughts are after the release. :)
Onnikus wrote:You've also nailed the fluid animation from what I've seen, which is a hurdle I've yet to fully conquer in my experience with Ren'Py.
I'm an animator by trade, so I have a lot of experience wrangling sprites. Having said that, there wasn't a good way to transcribe the animation from Flash to Ren'Py the way we did it, so I wound up having to do a lot of guessing and checking with the positioning values.
Onnikus wrote:I'd like to see external conflict that becomes the Princess's problem. I.e., a barbarian's conquest is cut short by the wizard, who defends the territory--whose side will the Princess take?
Sorry to say there are no barbarians, but there is no shortage of conflict between the Princess and Wizard. :P
ImageImageImageImage