That Bitter Taste [BxB, Romance/Dark]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe
Projects: String Us Together
Organization: Avior Games, Dream Team Studios
itch: avior

That Bitter Taste [BxB, Romance/Dark]

#1 Post by Avior »

Download on Itch.io!

Summary:
Lane’s daily life as a mortician is busy; there’s always new “guests” to receive into the morgue, bodies to cremate and embalm, funerals to arrange, distraught family members to comfort... at the end of the day, he just wants to sit down with his television and a drink. Unfortunately, things are never quite as easy as that. Lane is sick, and not in any particularly simple way; he has an otherwise unheard of condition, one that causes his body to be deficient in certain proteins only found in human flesh. To put it gently... his choice of profession was no coincidence. His only hope is an old legend that he has held onto throughout his life: The one who loves you can save you, if only you can receive them. He doesn’t know where it came from, or what it means, but it may prove to be a greater burden than he can afford to bear...

About the Game:
That Bitter Taste is a short game about an unfortunate gay cannibal, made for Yaoi Jam 2016.

Please note: Obviously, based on the subject matter, this game contains material that might not be suitable for all players, including explicit depictions of death, gore, and cannibalism. Player discretion is advised.

Features:
~25,000 words
2 love interests
10 total endings (four endings per love interest, plus two epilogue endings)

Characters:
Image Image Image

Lane (Protagonist) - A man in his late twenties, Lane works as a mortician and is often misunderstood because of his excessively dry humor.
Parker (Love Interest #1) - A friend of Lane’s; they met when they were both in college and have dated off and on since then. He's kind but has a weak constitution.
Thomas (Love Interest #2) - He meets Lane at the bar one night. He's a little annoying, but endearing somehow. It seems he knows something he shouldn't...

Last edited by Avior on Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Heiden
Regular
Completed: Elvine, The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers, Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend, Beyond the Deep, The Bog's Heart, The Girl With the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A
Projects: The Town Pages, Kill the Prince?! [Nano 2020]
Tumblr: heidengames
itch: Heiden

Re: That Bitter Taste [BxB, Romance/Dark]

#2 Post by Heiden »

This looks absolutely incredible and 1000000% up my ally. (THE SEVERED ARMS IN THE GUI <3 <3 Be still my heart!)

I'm downloading this and playing it as soon as I can omg.
Completed: Elvine (GxB), The Life Threads, Helena's Flowers (GxG)(As Writer, Coder), Dr. Frank's Build-A-Boyfriend (BxB), Beyond the Deep (GxB)(As Artist), The Bog's Heart, The Girl with the Gray Hair Awakens, The Far Rings, NB107A.

All available to play on my itch.io page!

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#3 Post by Amiralo »

Just finished the game

I THINK PARKER IS VERY ATTRACTIVE THAN THOMAS. HE WAS SUPPORTIVE AND UNDERSTANDING. JUST A++ HUBBY MATERIAL

I also liked the description you wrote for Lane dismantling the female dead body. It was very gripping and revealed the wrong nature of Lane's act

I also liked the intro. It was interesting enough but still gave away the premise. an anecdote.

However, the catch line of recieving the one you love as the cure was not explained properly? Like i don't really get how it ties in with the plot haha;;;;

Overall, it was a good game, and i hope you make more in the future! =v=
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Avior
Regular
Completed: Voeux, That Bitter Taste, MISSION: Otome!, B.A.T., Assume Survival, Glass Rooms, The Candles Breathe

#4 Post by Avior »

Heiden wrote:This looks absolutely incredible and 1000000% up my ally. (THE SEVERED ARMS IN THE GUI <3 <3 Be still my heart!)

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it! And I hope you'll still try and finish your game, too. I was really looking forward to it!
Amiralo wrote:Just finished the game

I THINK PARKER IS VERY ATTRACTIVE THAN THOMAS. HE WAS SUPPORTIVE AND UNDERSTANDING. JUST A++ HUBBY MATERIAL

I also liked the description you wrote for Lane dismantling the female dead body. It was very gripping and revealed the wrong nature of Lane's act

I also liked the intro. It was interesting enough but still gave away the premise. an anecdote.

However, the catch line of recieving the one you love as the cure was not explained properly? Like i don't really get how it ties in with the plot haha;;;;

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I'll definitely be making more games (and probably more cannibal/otherwise dark-themed games, because I'm just a weirdo that enjoys them, haha).

And thank you for your feedback, as well! I tried to kind of hint at/explain the tag line in the epilogues, but maybe it wasn't clear enough? The style that I did the epilogues in definitely isn't very direct, so I could see how the final explanation might not have made sense or come through all the way. I will keep it in mind for the future!
Image Image

Amiralo
Regular
Completed: What's your name? : 2017 nano reno, Saccharine: a misleading sim date. Reverie: an odd simdate. Where adabans grow: an asian simdate. Monochrome and colors.
Projects: Enwiss the Beloved
Organization: Amiralo
Deviantart: Amiralo

#5 Post by Amiralo »

Avior wrote:
Heiden wrote:This looks absolutely incredible and 1000000% up my ally. (THE SEVERED ARMS IN THE GUI <3 <3 Be still my heart!)

Thank you, I hope you enjoy it! And I hope you'll still try and finish your game, too. I was really looking forward to it!
Amiralo wrote:Just finished the game

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it! I'll definitely be making more games (and probably more cannibal/otherwise dark-themed games, because I'm just a weirdo that enjoys them, haha).

And thank you for your feedback, as well! I tried to kind of hint at/explain the tag line in the epilogues, but maybe it wasn't clear enough? The style that I did the epilogues in definitely isn't very direct, so I could see how the final explanation might not have made sense or come through all the way. I will keep it in mind for the future!

PLSSS MAKE MORE DARK GAMES. WE NEED MORE DARK GAMES.
My deviant art (where you can look at the embarrassing sim dates I have made). http://amiralo.deviantart.com/

My current project
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54150

Arkentut
Tumblr: arkentut

#6 Post by Arkentut »

This is one of those visual novels that I clicked download right away as soon as I read the summary and I have no regret at all. It has a really intriguing storyline, lively characters, interesting theme, and amazing artwork. The GUI, for one, especially caught me. The music fits really well.

I love all of them equally
but I find Parker's ending lacking the element of surprise as much as Thomas' ending is
and the explanation about Lane's condition is the best explanation ever about cannibalism.

I really need more of this, this is real excellent. Please keep up the good work! :D

Claramata
Tumblr: claramata

#7 Post by Claramata »

As a self-admitted horror genre fan and a fan of dark, twisted stuff in general, I really liked this. I thought Lane's "condition" was handled well. Treating it as a problem but also recognizing that though he obviously feels guilty for what he has to do he isn't a bad guy. Parker is also amazing, but I felt like his ending especially was a a little rushed. Like it kind of came out of the blue... I've only gotten one of the 4 endings for him though, so maybe it was due to my choices. I liked Thomas a little less as a character (he came across as just... odd and off putting to me), but I enjoyed the tension in that story a little more. I spent a huge chunk like "does he know? Oh gawd does he know???" That worked pretty well.

Also, I loooooooved the reference to Silence of the Lambs, since I love that move (even though, yeeeeah Buffalo Bill is problematic)

Avior
Regular

#8 Post by Avior »

Amiralo wrote: PLSSS MAKE MORE DARK GAMES. WE NEED MORE DARK GAMES.
I'm actually going to be releasing another one tomorrow! It's the one I was working on before this jam; it's quite a bit different than this game, and maybe not as dark, but I hope you'll give it a try as well!
Arkentut wrote:This is one of those visual novels that I clicked download right away as soon as I read the summary and I have no regret at all. It has a really intriguing storyline, lively characters, interesting theme, and amazing artwork. The GUI, for one, especially caught me. The music fits really well.

I love all of them equally
but I find Parker's ending lacking the element of surprise as much as Thomas' ending is
and the explanation about Lane's condition is the best explanation ever about cannibalism.

I really need more of this, this is real excellent. Please keep up the good work! :D
I'm glad it the description caught you so quickly, haha. And thank you so much!

I didn't have time to do more of a lead-in, so the endings were a little abrupt,
so I tried to offset that by making them a little surprising. Parker's is definitely less dramatic, though.
Thank you for the feedback!

And I just love coming up with science-fictiony types of explanations like that (my "supernatural science," as I dubbed it the other day), so coming up with the reason behind his cannibalism was one of my favorite parts. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :D
Claramata wrote:As a self-admitted horror genre fan and a fan of dark, twisted stuff in general, I really liked this. I thought Lane's "condition" was handled well. Treating it as a problem but also recognizing that though he obviously feels guilty for what he has to do he isn't a bad guy. Parker is also amazing, but I felt like his ending especially was a a little rushed. Like it kind of came out of the blue... I've only gotten one of the 4 endings for him though, so maybe it was due to my choices. I liked Thomas a little less as a character (he came across as just... odd and off putting to me), but I enjoyed the tension in that story a little more. I spent a huge chunk like "does he know? Oh gawd does he know???" That worked pretty well.

Also, I loooooooved the reference to Silence of the Lambs, since I love that move (even though, yeeeeah Buffalo Bill is problematic)
Thank you! Part of the premise for this game was that I wanted to do a cannibal character who was less of an antagonist (and just less of a horrible person in general), so I tried to portray the issue in a more neutral style.

And yes, the endings are a little rushed... As I mentioned above (in this post), all the endings are a bit abrupt since I didn't have a lot of time (both in the real world and in the game world) to do more of a lead-in. It's something that I would definitely have liked to address given more time. I also would've liked to do some more editing on Thomas' route, since,
knowing his backstory, I didn't realize just how strongly he comes on until friends played it after release. :?
I'm glad the other parts of his route were enjoyable for you though! If I ever do a version 2 or something, I'll definitely be working on those parts.

It is a great movie! I really need to watch the other Hannibal films still haha. And I totally shamelessly took this opportunity to voice my complaints about Buffalo Bill's part of the movie, because where else am I going to do that 25 years after it was released. :'D
Image Image