Simple As Snow [NaNo][Fantasy][Dark Fairy Tale][KN]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Simple As Snow [NaNo][Fantasy][Dark Fairy Tale][KN]

#1 Post by wyverngem »

Simple As Snow
"A person's heart's warmth. The very spirit that keeps them alive and strong, especially in cursed frozen tundra. Some say you can sell it to gain power, while others believe it is it's own power. Either way, it did not change the fact that Ágirni sold her heart's warmth to a demon for the use of magick."
Synopsis
Simple as Snow is a kinetic visual novel about a caster named Lysa who is caught up in the middle of a sorceress scheme to steal the heart of a young king. If only it were about love and not the sorceress' sick plot to literally take his heart.[/quote] A kinetic novel, meaning it's strongly story based. All the backgrounds in the game were beautifully hand painted. This novella is over 14,000 words and has about an hour of game play. There are choices that give insight to the story if you choose to take the time to read them. Originally made for NaNoReno in 2016 with a team of one, but was released late because of life events.

Main Characters
Ágirni A legend. She sold her heart's warmth to a demon for the use of magick. The sorceress ever tormented by the loss of her heart's warmth, she's sought others' to replace hers countless times. The lowly stable hand, a set of twins lost in her forest, and even noblemen who've wandered too far from their estate. It did not matter who, even a wolf from time to time when she was desperate. The old wraith ever hungry to warm her frozen heart.

Lysa She has known her fair share of hardships growing up in a cursed frozen tundra. Living above the northern border where Aginiri's spell backfired all those years ago, Lysa's never known a spring nor seen a flower blossom. Vital to her community she wasn't permitted to leave the north because she was born infused with mana that allowed her a rare ability to create warmth. She has lost loved ones to the cold and been abused for her ability to produce heat. When she interferes with a sorceress' plan to steal the heart of a young king she's finds herself not only trying to save the king's life, but the lives of her sister's as well.

The King Taught to be strong from a young age and with a good heart, he was a prince until recently when his father was murdered by a sorceress in front of the court. He and his two sentinels have been fleeing ever since seeking refuge from the sorceress who plans to steal his heart.

Eyrir born three daughters with his wife before her death. He has always been soft on his daughters though is a firm and fair leader. Lysa he worries about a little more, because of her abilities as a caster. He worries because he sees his wife in her; headstrong and always wandering. He hopes that if she settles down soon she won’t wish to leave them. Partly because of her being his, but also because her abilities allow their community to stay here.

Jaeson came to the fort when Lysa's powers first started to develop. He's always been a stern teacher with her. If they're not defending the town, Lysa and Jaeson will often sprout arguments within minutes of being around one another. Jaeson disagrees with how she pushes herself. He's lived with them for years and in that time he hasn't appeared to age. It must be the caster in him.

Una is Lysa's older sister and since their mother's passing has acted more like a second mother to Lysa and their youngest sister Agnan. She's very well loved by those around her. She was recently married and is on her honeymoon.

Agnan is the youngest sister of Lysa and Una. Immature and young she has anxiety issues about losing her family. She's the trouble maker and often speaks her mind. She likes to be babied and doesn't really get along with those her age.

Bjorn a large hound of Lysa she's had since he was a puppy. The small dog quickly grew into a large beast that can scar any seasoned knight. Though he's hard to handle by others, he's a big puppy dog when it comes to his Lysa.

Screenshots
Game Title
Screenshot from opening scene.
Background painted art style.
Notes
I wanted to create this game that would feel like you were being told a story with a focus on flow. There is no "main menu" in the game. You are given early on options to change the settings in the game and there is only one save file. The game automatically saves for you, but you can also choose to save on your own with a hot bar on the screen most of the time. When you leave the game and come back at a later time, the game remembers this and allows the player to choose a new game or restart the telling of the story when they start the game. It does this with a simple "You're back, would you like to continue the story?"

Working on this made me want to continue the story and though it might not be everything I wished for. I am happy. Please be aware there is some mild bloodshed and gore and thank you for taking the time to read this. This was an interesting journey and I hope that you enjoy the game.
Last edited by wyverngem on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Simple As Snow [NaNo]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Oh,hey, this one's finally out! ^_^ Glad to see you've finished it. Downloading now!

EDIT: There seems to be a problem with the download. Whenever I try to download the game, I get an error message saying that "network connection was lost." This could be my computer, but I don't seem to lose connection to anything else. Sorry, I'm not really sure what the problem is. :/

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by wyverngem »

Another person was having trouble with the download. She says it's working now, but I will see if there's anything on itch.io and get back to you. Thank for wanting to try the game. :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zelan »

I tried the download again and it worked. c: Not sure what the problem was but it doesn't seem to matter now. I'll post here again once I've played through it!

Arkhane
Regular

#5 Post by Arkhane »

Hello wyverngem :3
I finished the game and I liked it, it was so sweet :)
I also appreciated the scroll back when you clicked too rapidly and went forward unexpectidely

I have two small bothering points :
1) Is there a way to see all the background you've done somewhere? I couldn't really take a peek at them behind the text.
2) The epilogue went too fast ... I didn't have time to look at the picture and read since it was forwarding by itself contrary to the rest ><

Thank you for finishing the game :)
Byebye :3

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

Arkhane wrote:Hello wyverngem :3
I finished the game and I liked it, it was so sweet :)
I also appreciated the scroll back when you clicked too rapidly and went forward unexpectidely

I have two small bothering points :
1) Is there a way to see all the background you've done somewhere? I couldn't really take a peek at them behind the text.
2) The epilogue went too fast ... I didn't have time to look at the picture and read since it was forwarding by itself contrary to the rest ><

Thank you for finishing the game :)
Byebye :3
If the game was made in Ren'Py, pressing "H" should make the textbox disappear and reappear. c:

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by wyverngem »

Yep, H or the middle mouse button will hide the text and show the background.

:) I'm glad that you liked it and thank you for the feedback Arkhane. It's the second VN I've ever completed. The first was a blackjack game, so it was different for me to work with a kinetic. Definitely things I'd love to improve on.

definitelynotmclovin

#8 Post by definitelynotmclovin »

needs more bloodshed and gore ;)

looks like you are having fun!