The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]-Amesbury released!

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
theshrimplord
Regular

Re: The Lady's Choice- NaNo16 [Regency Romance- GxB]

#31 Post by theshrimplord »

I wish that Amesbury had been a choice :/ I was really disappointed that we couldn't play him after such an interesting beginning and after playing through the other romances, it was kinda like twisting the knife. They were decent but I dunno, just not... for me.

This is a really beautiful game, the art is so stunning. I would love to see more along this line
WIP: Kingdoms Collide (fantasy, otome, gxb)

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#32 Post by Harliqueen »

Nekana wrote:This is definitely one of my favourite VN ever, the setting was awesome and I loved how many choices were available, cuz I felt like I was really styling my character the way I wanted to. The two dudes were also both really interesting and I liked how you didn't make the MC all ''damsel in distress'' as so many VN's do. Stanton is my fave because well, his character just appealed to me more, all mysterious and doing what must be done no matter what. Basically, super good job and I'll be looking forward to more VN's from you!
Thank you so much for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The Regency era is one I love, so it's something I'd been wanting to do for a while. I'm so happy people liked it too! :D

Being able to shape the MC, but also have her as a character in her own right is quite the tricky balance :D But I'm glad to hear you liked her!

theshrimplord wrote:I wish that Amesbury had been a choice :/ I was really disappointed that we couldn't play him after such an interesting beginning and after playing through the other romances, it was kinda like twisting the knife. They were decent but I dunno, just not... for me.

This is a really beautiful game, the art is so stunning. I would love to see more along this line
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the other romances so much :/ I had to make a cut back somewhere due to time, otherwise I would have had to have done 3 really weak, short routes. So, instead I cut one out completely so as I could focus on making the other 2 to the best of my abilities. I just couldn't afford to spend more time on a free game unfortunately :(

Maybe one day though, if I ever get some time again :D

I'm really glad you liked the art, it's something I'm hoping to expand on in future VNs :)

--

Sorry for the late replies! I was away last week.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

nickynoton
Regular
Completed: Equilibrium
Projects: Equilibrium [nano16], Phantasm [nano17]
Tumblr: nickynoton
itch: nickynoton

#33 Post by nickynoton »

I loved this!
The writing was superb and the characters were really believable and well done!
Guy was definitely my favorite but Isaac pleasantly surprised me later on and he grew on me quite a bit.
The whole Jane Austen feel about it was really nice and I liked how your choices molded the main character into someone really interesting and enjoyable to play as.
The character art and backgrounds as well as the CGs were excellent too.

Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful story!

Sharane
Regular

#34 Post by Sharane »

I must thank you for an amazing journey to era of Jane Austen and for the opportunity to be (even just for a while) like Elizabeth Bennet :)
Though English was sometimes a little difficult for me, I really enjoyed the game and wished it wouldn't end. I got Blake's true love ending as I played for the first time - at the beginning, I wasn't excited about him as he was so unsure etc. But during the game, I grown up to like him very much because of his behavior and reactions. Also, I wanted to protect him from this creepy Huntington (you wrote this guy so well, I wanted to punch him to his idiotic face!). And when I started playing Stanton's route (I get Love ending), I have already known that my number one is still Blake :)

Only one thing I missed - why the first guy MC met isn't romanceable? ;) He looked quite cool :)
Image Image

Per aspera ad astra

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#35 Post by Harliqueen »

nickynoton wrote:I loved this!
The writing was superb and the characters were really believable and well done!
Guy was definitely my favorite but Isaac pleasantly surprised me later on and he grew on me quite a bit.
The whole Jane Austen feel about it was really nice and I liked how your choices molded the main character into someone really interesting and enjoyable to play as.
The character art and backgrounds as well as the CGs were excellent too.

Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful story!
Thank you for playing it, and I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it :D Guy certainly seems to be in the lead for the favourite!

Sharane wrote:I must thank you for an amazing journey to era of Jane Austen and for the opportunity to be (even just for a while) like Elizabeth Bennet :)
Though English was sometimes a little difficult for me, I really enjoyed the game and wished it wouldn't end. I got Blake's true love ending as I played for the first time - at the beginning, I wasn't excited about him as he was so unsure etc. But during the game, I grown up to like him very much because of his behavior and reactions. Also, I wanted to protect him from this creepy Huntington (you wrote this guy so well, I wanted to punch him to his idiotic face!). And when I started playing Stanton's route (I get Love ending), I have already known that my number one is still Blake :)

Only one thing I missed - why the first guy MC met isn't romanceable? ;) He looked quite cool :)
Thank you for playing! I'm sorry the English was more difficult- I was trying to make it sound older but still keep it up together for a modern audience!

Huntington really was a creep :D He was difficult to write, because he was such an uncomfortable character, but it seems like his character came across as intended in game!

The first guy- Amesbury- unfortunately doesn't have a route, due to time constraints :/ But, I'm hoping I might get a chance in the far future to work on his route... maybe one day!

--

Sorry for the late replies!

DaR
Regular

#36 Post by DaR »

This game was on my "To Play" list for a while and I'm glad I was able to play it, because I thought it was amazing. I am completely weak for regency-era romances so the concept was right up my alley; plus the art was very nice and the characters were likable. I would have liked an Amesbury route, but I loved both Blake and Stanton and I think you made a smart decision. Both their routes come off very strong. I finished Stanton's route around 12:30AM and went, "I should go to bed," and immediately started playing Blake's.
I'm not sure if this is spoiler-y, so I'm putting this here: both paths were very balanced in the different story elements and I need to thank you for that. It never felt like too much angst and drama and the moments that were hard-hitting were always evened out with sweet, happy scenes or, at the very least, some optimism. Both Stanton's and Blake's routes COULD have been so much more angsty but they weren't, and I love it.

Also, the park training scene. It was great. 10/10 would play again.
It's probably one of the best VNs I've played in a while. I am really looking forward to Courting the Seasons!
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Harliqueen
Veteran

#37 Post by Harliqueen »

DaR wrote:This game was on my "To Play" list for a while and I'm glad I was able to play it, because I thought it was amazing. I am completely weak for regency-era romances so the concept was right up my alley; plus the art was very nice and the characters were likable. I would have liked an Amesbury route, but I loved both Blake and Stanton and I think you made a smart decision. Both their routes come off very strong. I finished Stanton's route around 12:30AM and went, "I should go to bed," and immediately started playing Blake's.
I'm not sure if this is spoiler-y, so I'm putting this here: both paths were very balanced in the different story elements and I need to thank you for that. It never felt like too much angst and drama and the moments that were hard-hitting were always evened out with sweet, happy scenes or, at the very least, some optimism. Both Stanton's and Blake's routes COULD have been so much more angsty but they weren't, and I love it.

Also, the park training scene. It was great. 10/10 would play again.
It's probably one of the best VNs I've played in a while. I am really looking forward to Courting the Seasons!
I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed it! I love me a bit of Regency myself, so it was an obvious choice for me to try out :D

It is a shame Amesbury had to be left, but I'm glad you think it was worth it. It was definitely better to have 2 strong routes, rather than 3 weaks ones!

I like to try and keep a good balance. I am a fan of melodramatic moments, I admit :D But, I think things definitely need to be evened out, or it can just be too exhausting as a reader to keep going through it all!

Ah yeah, the park training scene, that was... a rather self indulgent scene, glad others enjoyed it too ;)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#38 Post by Mammon »

Looks like I'm the first openly male otome player to comment here, so in name of all the otomen: I loved this game and really enjoyed romancing the protagonist through Isaac and Guy! I found Guy to be a very relatable character due to his reservations towards assuming attractive women could like him, and while I had little in common with Isaac it was no problem to pretend to be a suave hunk like him.

And the possibilities to change the protagonist's character to my perfect waifu (Witty with a teaspoon of sweet and headstrong), oh!, I may have enjoyed those options even more than the female readers. She was such a dear and reminded me once again how much better protagirls can be than any other trope.

All in all, I loved this VN. I was most impressed by how your sprites could accurately convey a great variety of emotions with such subtle changes, the music was perfect, the CG were beautiful etc. The only minus was how the high waistband of male characters accentuated their crotches *cringe*, but that fault lies with the fashion of that era.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Harliqueen
Veteran

#39 Post by Harliqueen »

Mammon wrote:Looks like I'm the first openly male otome player to comment here, so in name of all the otomen: I loved this game and really enjoyed romancing the protagonist through Isaac and Guy! I found Guy to be a very relatable character due to his reservations towards assuming attractive women could like him, and while I had little in common with Isaac it was no problem to pretend to be a suave hunk like him.

And the possibilities to change the protagonist's character to my perfect waifu (Witty with a teaspoon of sweet and headstrong), oh!, I may have enjoyed those options even more than the female readers. She was such a dear and reminded me once again how much better protagirls can be than any other trope.

All in all, I loved this VN. I was most impressed by how your sprites could accurately convey a great variety of emotions with such subtle changes, the music was perfect, the CG were beautiful etc. The only minus was how the high waistband of male characters accentuated their crotches *cringe*, but that fault lies with the fashion of that era.
I'm really glad you enjoyed it! It's also great to hear about the game from a male perspective :D It's great to know you found the guys relatable, I try to make them as rounded as possible, along with all the other characters!

It's also nice to hear you liked the expression of the sprites. I know sometimes it's better to have exaggerated expression for sprites, so as it's easy to see (which is why the anime style works so well for this kind of thing), but I just wanted something to suit the time period a little better. So, thank you so much for commenting on that!

Yeah, the trousers were... awkward :D Most of the fashion of that time was lovely, but those trousers were certainly something!

Lizzard99

#40 Post by Lizzard99 »

this is such a good game! I love the royalty and the story lines of both, but Captain Blake is probably my favorite!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#41 Post by Zelan »

Oh my goodness, I finally got around to playing this one and it was FANTASTIC.

I played Guy's route first and got his True Love Ending. He was such a sweetheart; I loved watching him open up to the protagonist more as the story went on. I especially liked the blindfold scene - he got pretty bold there, and I enjoyed every moment of it.
Until the Duke ruined everything, of course.
It was also great to wingwoman for Arabella, and to watch her relationship with Foxley bloom.

And ohhhh my gosh Isaac's route. I can't even explain how much I adored him (although I only managed to get his Love Ending 1 - I'll have to go back and try for the True Love Ending another time). He was such a gentleman, both in his treatment of the protagonist and what he did for his family.
It was hilarious how many times the two of them were interrupted before a kiss - was it three? I was equal parts amused and annoyed, which I think is what you were going for, so good job with that. c:
Also, I have to say that I liked his Bad Ending more than I liked Guy's. Isaac's felt like it had more weight to it, if that makes any sense, so you did a great job evoking my emotions there. Guy's route didn't give me the same feelings, but you were limited by the circumstances that he was in so it would have been difficult to write him a bad ending on the same level.

I did find a few typos and grammatical errors and the like, but nothing that majorly detracted from the experience. I just figured I'd compile them for you in case you want to go back and fix them. c: Guy's Route Isaac's Route

Harliqueen
Veteran

#42 Post by Harliqueen »

Lizzard99 wrote:this is such a good game! I love the royalty and the story lines of both, but Captain Blake is probably my favorite!
I'm really glad to know you enjoyed it so much :D Blake certainly seems to be the favourite of the 2!
Zelan wrote:Oh my goodness, I finally got around to playing this one and it was FANTASTIC.

I played Guy's route first and got his True Love Ending. He was such a sweetheart; I loved watching him open up to the protagonist more as the story went on. I especially liked the blindfold scene - he got pretty bold there, and I enjoyed every moment of it.
Until the Duke ruined everything, of course.
It was also great to wingwoman for Arabella, and to watch her relationship with Foxley bloom.

And ohhhh my gosh Isaac's route. I can't even explain how much I adored him (although I only managed to get his Love Ending 1 - I'll have to go back and try for the True Love Ending another time). He was such a gentleman, both in his treatment of the protagonist and what he did for his family.
It was hilarious how many times the two of them were interrupted before a kiss - was it three? I was equal parts amused and annoyed, which I think is what you were going for, so good job with that. c:
Also, I have to say that I liked his Bad Ending more than I liked Guy's. Isaac's felt like it had more weight to it, if that makes any sense, so you did a great job evoking my emotions there. Guy's route didn't give me the same feelings, but you were limited by the circumstances that he was in so it would have been difficult to write him a bad ending on the same level.

I did find a few typos and grammatical errors and the like, but nothing that majorly detracted from the experience. I just figured I'd compile them for you in case you want to go back and fix them. c: Guy's Route Isaac's Route
Thank you so much for playing it and catching those errors! I'm hoping my readers had got so into the game, that's why they missed them before release ;)

The bad endings were really hard :D I'm not great at bad endings because I do love happy ones, and Blake's was difficult to fit into the story. I think that's why Isaac's had more impact, because his route was more suited to something that could go horribly wrong!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and for letting me know what you liked about it :)

Harliqueen
Veteran

#43 Post by Harliqueen »

Amesbury's route is on its way! :D

Hopefully some time in December... hopefully.

--

To follow progress, check out my tumblr- http://seraphinitegames.tumblr.com/

Kirlett
Regular

Re: The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]- Amesbury's co

#44 Post by Kirlett »

I SCREAMED!!!!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD THANK YOU I'M SO HAPPY This is the best news ever <3
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! I can't. Sorry. I'll be... there, in the corner... fangirling extremly hard.
Every player will be delighted, I'm sure. After all, we ALL wanted Amesbury e_e
Ahhh~ Life is good.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: The Lady's Choice- [Regency Romance- GxB]- Amesbury's co

#45 Post by Zelan »

Was not expecting that so soon, but this is awesome to hear! ^_^