In Game Politics?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
NialGrenville
Regular
Projects: PaS: The Awakening; The Heart Woods; The Witch and the Fairy
Organization: Gabe Works, Inc.

In Game Politics?

#1 Post by NialGrenville »

I've seen games where issues such as politics play a role heavily. Some examples like all the Elder Scrolls, Deus Ex, and even Saints row to an extent.

Would anyone like a fleshed out politics section in games? Or would It kill the mood?

In a deeper sense of my statement. Imagine Skyrim with a complete overhaul, having the civil wars it talks so much about. Not only that, but more logically defined laws and punishments. With a deeper sense of participation in the world to better or worsen it.

I mean religious systems in games have been grown about heavily. Showing a deeper interest in the philosophical side. But I'm more of a come down to earth and make some decisions. Make things count, you know?

I'm not sure, just an interesting thing I've thought I'd share to see others opinions.
*Me*, *You, ***Calamazoo: *Singularity-A.I.*: *Proceed to processing
PaS: The Awakening, current status: 42%
The HeartWoods, current status: 0%
The Wonderful Mell! My PFI creator Honest Critique

andrewngn13
Regular
Projects: Recast

Re: In Game Politics?

#2 Post by andrewngn13 »

If you yourself are interested in seeing it happen, then no doubt there are readers who would like it too.

I love to do in-depth research into things that I'm writing about(recently particularly interested in old damascan ore refinery vs Japanese sword folding) and there's people who love to learn about that kind of stuff. On the flipside there's people who could honestly care less.

If it's just a personal project, then I say go all out. Might want some other opinions if trying retail though.
"Feel feel to idea-bounce off me."
No, like seriously, just send a pm and I'll respond what I think. I'm open to reading anything.

NialGrenville
Regular

#3 Post by NialGrenville »

andrewngn13 wrote:If it's just a personal project, then I say go all out. Might want some other opinions if trying retail though.
:lol: no not a project, but it's good to see that people like to study aspects in detail. I hope your study goes well, if you include it in a game as well!

(off subject, Damascus refining was after wrought iron refinery I believe. I hope this helps.)

But I see it as, political systems in video games could potentially be a extender in some points, but like you said, some don't care. Which is respectfully okay. But I'm more interested in the idea behind it. Diplomacy!

BáiYù
Regular
Completed: This Life Escapes Me, Up All Night, Lotus: The Self-Made Witch
Projects: Various
Organization: tofurocks, Fiendish Fiction, Spider Lily Studios
Github: baiyu-dev
itch: tofurocks

#4 Post by BáiYù »

There are a few VNs here I can list off the top of my head that involve politics, intrigue, or more general philosophical themes I think you might be interested in checking out.
  • The Censor - Wonderful little sci-fi story where your job is to censor content. Politics ensue.
  • The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car - More of a thinkpiece about life. And I think I heard there were zombies?
  • Hierofania 2 - Sequel to Hierofania, this one focuses on a young queen. Definitely play both titles when you can.
  • The Thirteenth Year - Been a while since I've played this one. Politics, religion, good atmosphere- this game has it all, pretty much.
  • Long Live The Queen - Commercial. Pretty confident you might know this one already as it's popular on Steam. Death by chocolates!
  • The Royal Trap - Commercial. Same developer as LLTQ, so you know you're in for a ride.
Obviously, you're not going to find politics in a game like Katawa Shoujo or anything lighthearted, but political themes in VNs is nothing new if not uncommon. I personally love these types of stories but I don't think I could ever pull one off myself.
Games and supplementary Ren'Py codes

NialGrenville
Regular

#5 Post by NialGrenville »

Yeah I'd figure politics in a game much like, ahem, Handicap Bae Simulator wouldn't exist. I'll definitely give the vn's a look. I have played Long Live the Queen! It was fun. Had a little less delegation than expected though.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

I wonder why no one mentioned Papers, Please yet. Experience what's it like to live in an authoritarian dictatorship through the eyes of a border official.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

NialGrenville
Regular

#7 Post by NialGrenville »

Taleweaver wrote:I wonder why no one mentioned Papers, Please yet. Experience what's it like to live in an authoritarian dictatorship through the eyes of a border official.
Long Live Arstotzka! What a classic! Love that game. The good ol' dictatorship simulator was always my favorite.